Search Unity

Unity Analytics Heatmaps: Official Thread

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by marc_tanenbaum, Sep 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

Separate for the foreseeable future. My personal take is that heatmaps is a bit too specialized to ever be truly integrated into the core product, though we might explore some halfway measures (e.g., including it in Standard Assets, maybe). We certainly plan to make it available via the Asset Store.

2. Weesteer

Weesteer

I cant get it to work... When I click process i get the error below. What am I doing wrong?

No headers found. The likeliest cause of this is that you have no custom_headers.gz file. Perhaps you need to download a raw data job?
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogWarning(Object)
    UnityAnalyticsHeatmap.HeatmapAggregator:process(CompletionHandler, List`1, DateTime, DateTime, List`1, Dictionary`2, List`1, String, AggregationMethod, Single) (at Assets/Editor/Heatmaps/Services/HeatmapAggregator.cs:112)
    UnityAnalyticsHeatmap.AggregationInspector:processAggregation(List`1) (at Assets/Editor/Heatmaps/Views/AggregationInspector.cs:496)
    UnityAnalyticsHeatmap.AggregationInspector:Fetch(AggregationHandler, Boolean) (at Assets/Editor/Heatmaps/Views/AggregationInspector.cs:215)
    Heatmapper:SystemProcess() (at Assets/Editor/Heatmaps/Views/Heatmapper.cs:151)
    Heatmapper:OnGUI() (at Assets/Editor/Heatmaps/Views/Heatmapper.cs:95)
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()

3. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

Hi Unigon,

That log suggests that the Heatmapper couldn't find the header file for your data. Try opening the folder and inspecting the files in Raw Data. You should see a file called "custom_headers.gz" alongside other files with less readable names.

4. Weesteer

Weesteer

I see the file but the error persists... any ideas?

5. Weesteer

Weesteer

I just generate some test data for heatmaps and then try to show it.

6. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

So you're generating using Raw Data > Generate Test Data > Heatmap Random?

Maybe try resetting the data. Return to the Raw Data Inspector, Click 'Purge'. Regenerate the data and try rendering again.

7. Weesteer

Weesteer

Done this multiple times... maybe remove the entire heatmap plugin and install it again?

8. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

You could try that. Also, try installing in a completely blank project (just to eliminate the possibility of some internal conflict). Did you have an older version of Heatmaps installed?

9. Weesteer

Weesteer

I just got access today and I just downloaded what was linked in the email. Will try a blank project. Thanks for helping so fast! :) I will report after Ive tested a blank project

10. Weesteer

Weesteer

Same error on a blank project. :(((((

11. Weesteer

Weesteer

Im on unity 5.3.5 f1

12. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

Hmmmmm....my principle development was on 5.3.5f1, so I'm quite certain that should work. Windows or Mac? OS version? I'll can ask my QA to see if we can get a repro. Failing that, maybe we could set up a Skype call and try to walk through it. It's early days on this release, so I'm certainly willing to entertain the idea that we missed something (though this is obviously a very basic use case).

13. Weesteer

Weesteer

Awesome. I am on windows 10. I would very much appriciate a skype call.

14. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

Cool. We'll do a QA pass on this today and let you know. Thanks very much for the report. (And apologies for the inconvenience)

15. Weesteer

Weesteer

No problem! Im just happy that you have such awesome support and that there are people at unity doing heatmaps since we just realised we want it for our project. Btw our project is pretty much only 2D and we want to use it to find out how people want to navigate menus and stuff by using heatmaps. We will try using funnels also but this should be better to find out how people want to swipe/touch/click/scroll/whatever I hope.

Anyway.. Thanks again.. I will keep a close eye on this forum so Im ready when you guys know more.

16. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

IMPORTANT MESSAGE

This week, we launched a vastly updated/upgraded/supercharged/not-half-bad version of Heatmaps. There's a blog post about it here:

http://blogs.unity3d.com/2016/06/29/stoking-the-fire-heatmaps-rekindled/

In addition to a bunch of exciting features (true color gradients, new separation and remapping options, near-real-time data), there are important infrastructure changes. As a result, there are three things existing Heatmaps users need to know:
    1. New Heatmaps relies on a new Raw Data infrastructure. We'll be sunsetting the old infrastructure at the end of September. Therefore, it is imperative that you move yourself to the new version before that time.
    2. Heatmaps relies on Raw Data Export, which is now Pro feature. Any existing project will be grandfathered into Raw Data and any current Heatmaps project will maintain its Heatmapping ability, but new projects will only get Raw Data (and therefore Heatmaps) if you have Pro.
    3. Finally, note that we're not entirely happy with #2. We view Raw Data as pretty much a Pro feature, but Heatmaps is a tool suitable for everyone. Therefore, we are working on a way to make it possible for the two systems to co-exist (i.e., Raw Data as Pro, but Heatmaps for all). Updates to come when we know more.

17. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

@Unigon helped me isolate the issue. :) For others running across this, we'll release an official fix once it's validated, but the fix looks like this:

HeatmapAggregator.cs, line 188:

Change:
    Code (csharp):
    1. tsv = tsv.Replace(System.Environment.NewLine, “”);
    To:
    Code (csharp):
    1. tsv = tsv.Replace(“\n”, “”);
    The character in question will always be a UNIX line ending, not a system-dependent one. Sorry for the issue, and thanks again to @Unigon for helping to expose it!

erika_d likes this.
  18. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

Fix is on the repo and submitted to Asset Store.

erika_d likes this.
  19. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

Heatmaps for Pro only... Does that mean I have to have the Pro license or will the Plus license work? If Pro, then I guess I'm out.

20. erika_d

erika_d

Hi @99thmonkey,

Currently, yes, Heatmaps is for Pro (not Plus) only. Also keep in mind that all apps that had Analytics enabled before the switch to subscriptions (June 28th) are grandfathered in to the Pro tier of Analytics. If on your dashboard you see a tab that says Raw Data Export Early Access, you should be able to get Heatmaps on that project.

21. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

thanks for the response. Oh well, my app is still in process. I don't have Pro because I don't make money making games.

22. erika_d

erika_d

Keep in mind, as @marc_tanenbaum said above, having heatmaps be Pro only is something we're hoping to change and looking into! We definitely appreciate your interest in it!

23. khan-amil

khan-amil

HEy, just upgraded our project and repo with the latest version of the heatmaps, and I keep getting this error when trying to download data :
    http://i.imgur.com/daNZZyF.png

Is this a known issue? I'll try later to see if I just ned to wait more to get my data.

Thanks.

24. erika_d

erika_d

Hi @khan-amil,

Sorry you're experiencing this issue! You are on windows, yes? It is a known issue on windows, and we are currently working on the fix! I will update the thread here once the fix has been released.

25. khan-amil

khan-amil

Yep, windows 10 64 bits.

Thanks for looking into this, feel free to reach out if you need tests or more info.

26. erika_d

erika_d

Hi @khan-amil et al,

Just wanted to update everyone on the known issue with Heatmaps and Windows, it has something to do with security certificates and we're still investigating/working on the fix. Thanks for your patience!

27. erika_d

erika_d

Hi all,

The Windows/Heatmaps/Security Certs issue has been resolved and the new version that includes the fix has been rolled out to the master branch on bitbucket (https://bitbucket.org/Unity-Technologies/heatmaps). It should come soon to the asset store version as well!

28. khan-amil

khan-amil

Great news, thanks :)

29. khan-amil

khan-amil

Quick question regarding the ability to sepbarate on «Users» : is it suposed to use the same ID as we can set with "Analytics.SetUserId()" ? I've tried to put custom (read : meaningful) IDs, but each time I pull the datas and separate on users I just have random strings (guid I supose?)

30. erika_d

erika_d

31. khan-amil

khan-amil

I was looking at it from the heatmap inspector.
    So if I understand right, you're storing 2 user ids, one auto generated, one optionnally set in code, only to be displayed in Raw data explorer. And while Heatmaps uses raw datafunctionality, the «Users» breakdown is using the automated user id.

Any way I could separate my heatmap data using the «custom» user ID?
    To be clear, I'd like a setup like this :

But with user ids as set in code with Analytics.SetUserID().

32. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @khan-amil,

Currently there is no way to separate data based on custom user ids. We've passed on your suggestion to our heatmaps developer though.

Thanks so much for your interest in heatmaps.

33. _Adriaan

_Adriaan

Hey there!

After a lot of fiddling with the Raw Data Manager (it giving several NullReference errors on line 389 of the RawDataClient.cs, the incomprehensive term 'jobs', the weird workflow of having to go back and forth between the raw data and heatmapper tab, and resetting and removing old job data from the raw data folder), I finally had some results! My problems with the Raw Data manager aside, there are two major issues that I currently have with the heatmap system which stop me from using it to help level design:

1 - After literally hundreds of playtests of Hidden Folks at Gamescom - at which my device wasn't connected to the internet - the heatmapper doesn't seem to have cached the probably thousands of data points and sent it to the server later. That could have been a goldmine of data for me! Is it true that the heatmapper doesn't cache data? Or is this a bug? Or... has this feature been tested enough, especially in no-internet situations? How can I make sure that the data is always sent, regardless of an internet connection at the time of the session? I guess this question extends beyond Raw Data - Unity analytics seems to entirely have forgotten about those thousands of players and I'm super bummed by it. If anything, THIS is by far the biggest feature request I'd have right now: store unsent analytics and make sure to send it when possible. (I thought this was a must-have feature for any analytics solution.)

2 - Considering I have a 2D game which makes extensive use of sorting order and sorting layers, using the 'cube' shape gives all sorts of funky results, while the 'square' shape on the XY plane is always rendered in between everything. Two screenshots to compare:

Notice how the cubes sometimes hide the sprite, sometimes show the sprite behind it... very confusing ;) And notice how most of the squares disappear behind sprites - that's not good. I basically need to be able to set a sorting layer to the heatmap renderers.

3 - I think Hidden Folks has the perfect gameplay for heatmap analytics, because seeing where people think they can tap is fundamental to the game's level design. Once heatmaps hopefully solve the issues mentioned above, I would love to write a lengthy article on how we can and have already used it to do level design!

34. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

Hey @_Adriaan!

Thanks for using Heatmaps, though I'm very sorry to hear it's not performing as well as you'd like. Let me address a couple of these issues...

Could you send me a stack trace on this please? That's the first I've heard of this particular issue.

We're always working on ways to improve both performance and workflow. The 'jobs-based ' system is on-demand, and allows us to deliver raw data within 15 minutes (unlike the old system, which could often take many, many hours). In general, you should only really ever need to get your data for a range of days and then stick to the heatmapper (which only thinks in terms of days, rather than jobs), but it may be that this workflow is too confusing. I'd welcome ideas and suggestions for ways to make it smoother.

The heatmapper itself is read-only. It neither creates nor caches anything. All data is sent from your game via the Analytics library in Unity.

So I guess the question you're asking here is "can I store analytics data to send after my game has been offline?" The answer to that is "yes". Data is stored for 30 days, so just restarting the game once you're back online should send all your data. Note that if you really had thousands of plays while offline, this might take some time.

So have you tried to send the data by playing the game once back online? In general, this should work, though there are some odd corner cases in specific versions of Unity (it's conceivable that you ran into one of these).

Setting a sorting layer is on our roadmap; it's something I've been meaning to do (just been kinda buried). The reason it's not been a huge priority, though, is that there's a simple workaround: simply type 'heatmap' into the hierarchy and everything else will grey back, making the heatmap visible even in a 2D, layered environment. Hope that helps!

And we'd love for you to do so! Hopefully we can clean up the experience in a way that helps make your life easier! :)

35. _Adriaan

_Adriaan

Some suggestions:
    - The buttons 'get jobs' and 'download all' are completely ambiguous, and to be honest, I don't see why there should be two buttons in the first place? Why not make one 'Update' button that both checks for local changes and downloads the latest data? It would be a much better user experience!
    - setting the start date to 2016-08-01 and the end date to 2016-09-08 gives me a "The remote server returned an error: (400) Bad Request." while after a lot of fiddling I found out you can at most download data aggregated over 1 month. There was nothing in the interface that told me this, nor stopped me from trying to create a job with a span longer than a month.
    - there's a way to create jobs, but not a way to delete them, and so I end up going back and forth between trying to create jobs that make sense and the folder on my computer to delete the ones that don't. Also: I ended up accidentally making a lot of duplicate jobs; feels like should be stopped from being created. So how about.... a delete button in the interface? (I could already see you writing a nice propertydrawer for it! ;)

I did, but it didn't seem to work back then, as even days later I still didn't get the data? I must say it seems now like I do get some data:

I guess this looks more a thousand players playing the game, right?

Hmm, I sort of disagree? I tried this and got this:

... and I think this is still pretty difficult to see. This is the reason why I'd like to look at the heatmap data through the game window, but there it doesn't highlight the heatmap when you select it in the hierarchy, so the workaraound doesn't work and I'm stuck with really difficult to read images. So... please reconsider? :)

I don't think this would be very useful to you, but sure:

Code (CSharp):
    1. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    2. UnityAnalytics.RawDataClient.Download (UnityAnalytics.RawDataReport report) (at Assets/Editor/Heatmaps/Services/RawDataClient.cs:389)
    3. UnityAnalytics.RawDataClient.DownloadAll (System.Collections.Generic.List`1 jobs) (at Assets/Editor/Heatmaps/Services/RawDataClient.cs:382)
    4. RawDataInspector.OnGUIFetchView () (at Assets/Editor/Heatmaps/Views/RawDataInspector.cs:416)
    5. RawDataInspector.OnGUI () (at Assets/Editor/Heatmaps/Views/RawDataInspector.cs:296)
    6. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)

More suggestions:
    - make sure to update the 'points: displayed / total' right after selecting a custom parameter to show. right now it seems to update whenever I click in the scene view or something? it's a little weird.
    - be able to disable / enable rendering of the heatmap with a button in the heatmap interface?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  36. khan-amil

khan-amil

Don't know how well tht'll play with 2D, but on our end we simply ended up adding a "ZTest Always " to the shader used to render the heatmaps. It's a bit less easy to see distances, but as the points are not so opaque, it's not a big deal, and it's way better that I feared it would be.

37. _Adriaan

_Adriaan

Any updates on this? Were my suggestions taken into account?

38. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

Hi @_Adriaan,

Sorry, I was on vacation when you last posted, and I lost track of this amid a mountain of other work when I got back.

I think I basically just disagree with this. The first button allows you to almost instantly see the status of all your jobs. The second instigates a (potentially) long download process. Combining them would strike me as counter-productive. That said, I'm sure there must be ways to improve the UX to make the functionality less ambiguous.

Yeah, that's a limit of the underlying Raw Data system. I should definitely add some UI to clarify that point.

Also a limit of the underlying system. I've been in talks with that team to see if we can do something about it.

@khan-amil points out a good workaround for the 2D visibility thing. I'm hoping to build in something more formal/permanent for our next release (though, as a matter of full disclosure, it's still not at the top of the priority queue...I'm just going to try to jam it in if I can).

Some of your other requests should be incorporated into the next release.

39. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

BTW, @_Adriaan ... my boss just shared your recent tweet about heatmaps. Thanks for the kind words!

40. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

Update...added new shader magic today so that you'll have a toggle to bring the heatmap "Always to Front". So I can now promise that you'll get your wish in the next release @_Adriaan. :)

41. _Adriaan

_Adriaan

sweeeeet :D :D

erika_d and marc_tanenbaum like this.
  42. ptbs

ptbs

Recently we've been trying to integrate Heatmaps into the development (non-submission builds) of our FPS. We have been trying to send positional data once a second but have been running into the TooManyRequests error.

Here's a screenshot of an event for context:

I have a few questions regarding this and I'd be very grateful if you could answer them

Is it sensible for us to send a heatmap event once a second in gameplay? Are heatmap events treated separately in terms of cap from "normal" custom events, if so is that done by the "Heatmap." prefix?

43. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

Answered via PM, but here's my response so others can see it.

A few things to note:
    1. Fundamentally, a heatmap event is no different from any other custom event. There is — at least for now — only the one cap for all custom events. When you signed up for heatmaps (you did sign up, right? ;) ... if you didn't that would explain the TooManyRequests problem), we raised your event limit to 5000 events/hr to allow for the higher throughput heatmaps requires.
    2. One event per second should be OK for heatmaps, presuming you aren't sending too many other event. One event/second = 3600 events/hr, well within the increased limit.
    3. Remember that heatmaps are a pre-release feature for now. That is, if your game is in production, we expect (and kind of insist) on good citizenship on your part not to bombard us with thousands of requests per hour from thousands of users. We're working on a solution to allow heatmaps in production, but we're not quite ready for that yet. (i.e., stick within conventional limits when you launch your game.)
    Hope that helps!

ptbs likes this.
  44. _Adriaan

_Adriaan

I left heatmaps in the release version of Hidden Folks and now I have a problem: there seems to be too much data and the editor can't deal with it: there have been 8,935,565,627 events. Holy moly, right?

Code (CSharp):
    1. OverflowException: Value is greater than Int32.MaxValue or less than Int32.MinValue
    2. System.Convert.ToInt32 (Int64 value) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System/Convert.cs:1249)
    3. System.Int64.System.IConvertible.ToInt32 (IFormatProvider provider) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System/Int64.cs:562)
    4. System.Convert.ToInt32 (System.Object value, IFormatProvider provider) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System/Convert.cs:1323)
    5. System.Convert.ToInt32 (System.Object value) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System/Convert.cs:1316)
    6. UnityAnalytics.RawDataResult..ctor (System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2 dict) (at Assets/Editor/Heatmaps/Services/RawDataClient.cs:508)
    7. UnityAnalytics.RawDataReport..ctor (System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2 dict) (at Assets/Editor/Heatmaps/Services/RawDataClient.cs:450)
    8. UnityAnalytics.RawDataClient.GenerateList (System.String text) (at Assets/Editor/Heatmaps/Services/RawDataClient.cs:316)
    9. UnityAnalytics.RawDataClient.GetManifest () (at Assets/Editor/Heatmaps/Services/RawDataClient.cs:190)
    10. UnityAnalytics.RawDataClient.GetJobs (UnityAnalytics.JobsListCompletionHandler getJobsCompletionHandler) (at Assets/Editor/Heatmaps/Services/RawDataClient.cs:261)
    11. RawDataInspector.OnGUIFetchView () (at Assets/Editor/Heatmaps/Views/RawDataInspector.cs:412)
    12. RawDataInspector.OnGUI () (at Assets/Editor/Heatmaps/Views/RawDataInspector.cs:296)
    13. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    I'll remove most of the Heatmap data from the the next version, because frankly this is rather absurd. Besides, I noticed that the size of the binary is suspiciously big on iOS, with sometimes an extra GB (!!!) of 'document data' that I suspect is the heatmap cache.

45. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

Holy moly indeed. :)

We ask devs not to put heat maps into prod releases for this reason amongst others. I'm not inclined to think that the 1GB of document data is heatmaps-related, unless perhaps you're putting the raw data into a Resources folder, or something like that. Still, I suppose it's possible and something we can investigate.

Downloaded and started playing Hidden Folk today, btw. Geez, that's a tough game you've made!!!

_Adriaan likes this.
  46. skullwolf

skullwolf

Are you guys still accepting early access sign up? I have yet to get a official reply after signing up last week.

47. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

@skullwolf, Yes, I'll PM you.

48. Zilppuri

Zilppuri

Would it be possible for you to raise the custom event parameter limit?
    Now it is 10, and the standard position, rotation and time take 7 of those.
    I at least find it really difficult to get any relevant heatmap data when limited to just 3 data points. For example a first person shooter could have weapon, health, armor and nothing else. For example one might want to have is player prone or standing, using scope, carrying any power-ups..

Also would be nice to have some notice about this in the Heatmap "documentation". I had happily done testing for quite some time before noticing this. Especially since you can't query heatmap events during the same day you are testing? Or have I understood it wrong when trying to create such jobs says that "server returns 400"?

49. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

It's not impossible to get us to raise your param limit. Please report this in a support ticket and explain your use case, including how many params you think would be an appropriate limit. (And just so you know, we have documented this, though I always acknowledge that we could do it better. :) Click here and search for the word 'parameters'.)

You should be able to query heatmaps data within about an hour of sending the events.

50. Zilppuri

Zilppuri

Cool! I guess I was too hasty with judging documentation. I will file a ticket once I figure out if there is anything else I overlook :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.