Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Legacy Unity Analytics FAQs

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by sschan, Jan 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rayw24

rayw24

@tuandq77 If you change it from sorting by Organization to sorting by DAU, it should automatically update and does not need a refresh. Do you mean that it switches back to sorting by Organization on each refresh? I can see how that can be annoying... I will talk to my engineers and see if we can roll out a fix for this as well as adding the features you requested in part 2 :)

2. delexaet

delexaet

In the Unity Analytics Doc, there's something in there about a "Analytics Tracker Component". Yet when I try to add one to a gameobject I don't see this listed anywhere. Is that a built in component or just an example for us to create a custom script to perform those tasks?

3. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

@delexaet

The Analytics Tracker Component was added to Unity 5.5. For versions before that, you would need to use custom event via scripting as before.

4. Checkerbox

Checkerbox

Dear all,

I'm trying to set up a funnel in Unity 4.7.2f1 for iOS (I can't upgrade to Unity 5 at the moment) but I'm having trouble getting the funnel to recognise the custom events I'm using.

I'm calling these events from Unity...
    UnityAnalytics.CustomEvent(“startedLevel”, new Dictionary{{“levelNumber”, levelNumber}});
    UnityAnalytics.CustomEvent("foundAllCoins", new Dictionary{{"levelNumber", levelNumber}});

Then I have a funnel with the first step being "startedLevel" with an integer parameter of "levelNumber"
    The second step is "foundAllCoins" with an integer parameter of "levelNumber"

These events are being called correctly, they appear in the event manager tab of the Unity Analytics page and the values are correct, but for some reason the funnel has been processing for several weeks now.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong, or a way that I can fix it? The basic idea behind the events is I want to track how many people who have started a particular level find all of the coins within that level.

Cheers for any help/ideas.

5. dmoroni

dmoroni

Hi, i've an app previously published without Unity Analytics and yesterday I activated then on it, following the whole process.

I've the "Validate Test Data" field correctly populated and it seems everything's ok but after a day I still can't see any data (or at least I've just a couple of sessions in a day, and can't see fresh incoming data when I start my app).

Meybe is it necessary to publish my app again after the Analytics activation? Or should I just wait further for the activation to be completed?

Thanks!

6. rayw24

rayw24

@Checkerbox could you please private message me with your project ID so that I can look into this for you?

@dmoroni I believe you do have to publish your app to the store again after Analytics is activated. If the dashboard is still blank a couple days after re-publishing your app, could you please send me your project ID as well?

Thanks! :)

7. Deleted User

Deleted User

There is one question that is missing from the list: What does Unity Analytics do, exactly, and how does it work? (Well, that makes two questions.)

I've read the in editor description:

Capture.PNG

but I don't understand how it works.

How can Unity know how players of my game behave or who they are?

8. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

@AnneSchmidt,
    That is a very good question. And one we hope to address better in the future.

In the meantime, I can point you to a couple of case studies that give a high level overview of how some developers have used Unity Analytics to make their game more successful.

https://blogs.unity3d.com/2016/08/05/the-case-of-the-missing-revenue/
    http://response.unity3d.com/mobile-case-study-twimler
    http://response.unity3d.com/analytics-case-study-mindstorm

In short, we don't know how they behave or who they are. But we have the tools in place to help you discover these answers. The key tool is Custom Events. You can attach an event to be fired off whenever your users complete a specific action, e.g. when they complete a level. With that, you'll be able to tell when users complete each level of your game.

Combine this with some of our dashboard tools, such as Funnels and Segments and you can gain even more insight about how players are using your game. For example, if you have sequential levels, a Funnel is a natural fit to see where users drop off in your level progression. Or you can create a Custom Segment and look at the events triggered by that subset of your users. Unity Analytics is a simple to use, but powerful set of tools that allow you to gather meaningful data about your game, with the goal of gaining actionable insights to improve your player's experience.

Custom Events: https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/UnityAnalyticsCustomEventScripting.html
    Funnels: https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/topics/analytics/introduction-funnels
    Custom Segments: https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/topics/analytics/introduction-custom-segments

Deleted User likes this.
  9. needhamca

needhamca

Does Live stream count unique users when displaying user logins or could the same user login count multiple times in the same 24 hour span?

10. rayw24

rayw24

@needhamca Livestream does not count unique users, so if the same user logs in multiple times, he/she will be counted as multiple users

11. danjakes

danjakes

Hi,

Is there a way to track a single user's behaviour through UA?

Thanks

12. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

@danjakes

That isn't really the best use case for an Analytics service. Analytics is best used to identify trends in your game. We don't expose individual users in any way in our dashboard. If you have Raw Data Export, you could use our anonymized user IDs to see the events triggered by a single device.

13. jernejp

jernejp

14. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

That's a great question @jernejp. The answer (for now) is that Standard Events count exactly the same as other custom events. We're examining whether to change that and how. I'd love your input on the answer you'd like us to come to.

15. jernejp

jernejp

Thanks for the info @marc_tanenbaum, I understand.

We (as a company) would love to start using Standard Events but as we (quickly) evaluated the 100/user/hour limit we concluded that we can only use 5 events per game level. Our game levels are timed and take a bit less than 3 minutes to complete, so that means 20 level repetitions per user per hour.

Please correct me if I am wrong and I somehow misunderstood how the limit works, but if we settle for these five events
    1. level_start,
    2. level_complete,
    3. currency_acquired,
    4. consumable_acquired,
    5. item_acquired;
    that leaves no room for other potential (albeit occasional) events, such as level_up, achievement_step, achievement_unlock, ad_start, ad_complete etc.

We would also love to use the "screen_visit" Standard Event, but we don't see how we could use it in any meaningful way, as this event alone could generate more than 5 events in 3 minutes (so 100/hour) even if we throttle it. We don't have a chat in the game, but some other devs might run into the same problem with the "chat_msg_sent" Standard Event.

If possible we would like to see Standard Events using their own limit counter. Maybe in the future their processing could be implemented efficiently on the Unity backend allowing for higher limit allowance. Since the Standard Events are predefined I assume some optimizations could be made and a higher limit made possible without the need to share the same limit with Custom Events.

Even if that is not possible, what would already work for us is if the limits would allow for higher throughput per user/hour, but have a limit per user/day instead (even if that limit would be lower than 2400/user/day. Even if the limit would be over a longer time span, let's say 600/user/6h would already work for us.

Looking forward to any info you can share on this topic.

PS: We are now implementing Custom Events instead by combining multiple things together in the same event (because the limit is really unforgiving), but that kind of defeats the purpose of Standard Events if they can't be used efficiently.

Last edited: May 12, 2017
  16. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

That's terrific feedback, and possibly more valuable to us than you know. I'll take this back to our team and see what we can do with it.

In the meantime, please PM me. It's always been our policy to help developers meet their data needs within reason. We'll happily make an adjustment to your data limit to make implementation of Standard Events easier.

17. Demakustus

Demakustus

Hello, I'm preparing a presentation for my local Unity User Group about Unity Analytics.
    I'd like to ask some questions, to which I didn't find an answer.

1. When does the 100 events/hour/user limit is reset? Is it at every clock hour, an hour since the first event, an hour for every event sent, or is it done at some other time?
    2. Is anything planned to make picking a custom event in the Data Explorer easier? -
    https://gyazo.com/0b2c28cd774ae91e3f14b0ec081dd05a the list can get extremely long, and is not sorted alphabetically.
    3. How do number modifiers in funnels work for string type parameter values? - https://gyazo.com/a9a3e6952ddd299a0cb92cc19e1f99d2
    4. Can a boolean value be matched with a "true"/"false" string in funnel's steps?
    5. In Segments, is it possible to achieve a similar effect to the predefined 1-3 Days segments (that remove users from themselves when they no longer fit in the rules) with custom events?

18. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

An hour since the first event.

We are always grateful for feedback on how we can improve the user experience.

We do have a way to filter your event list. You can actually type in the name of the event you are interested in and the list will be filtered by that text. This works for metrics, custom events, segments and parameters.

filter_events.png

They don't. For string parameters, you can use the "equals" option. Improvements to our Funnel UI is on our roadmap.

Yes. That is the suggested way to use boolean with our funnels.

Unfortunately not. There is currently no way to remove a user from a custom segment that was created with a custom event.

19. Demakustus

Demakustus

Thank you for your answers. I didn't know about typing filter for the event list. I was always trying to type a letter when the list was opened and expected to get an event starting with that letter selected. Your way is more useful :)

Again, thank you very much for the quick and accurate response.

ap-unity likes this.
  20. Ankit47

Ankit47

Hi,
    I wanted to know if i use third party ads sdk besides unity ads in my game, will i be able to see the data like ARPU,ARPDU etc in the unity analytics dashboard for the third party ads sdk?

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  21. rikkir

rikkir

Does analytics report when in Test Flight? And how long before you see results?
    For instance, my Test Flight build has been tested by a handful of people. Assuming the Custom Events were sent, how long before the initial stats are shown in Data Explorer?

22. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

@rikkir

Yes, Analytics events will be sent from all versions of your app as long as there is an internet connection.

After your first visit to the dashboard, data should take about 4-6 hours before it's available in the dashboard. (Data processing does not begin until you visit the dashboard.)

23. rikkir

rikkir

Ok, so I had a test flight build being used by about a half done people. I went to Dashboard, I say some activity in terms of Unique Users, DAU - All Current Users... but I don't see anything reflecting the number of Custom Events I entered into the program.

I placed the strategically, including at Start() of the splash scene, but no Custom Events exist. The build has been active for 2 hours.

Any ideas?

EDIT/UPDATE:
    Underneath a single line of info, are the words "Day in Progress". ?Relevant?

24. EnjoyTime

EnjoyTime

I have set up a user push confirmation event in Unity Analytics.
    I also set the push count on the actual development server.

After comparing the actual number of times, the number of Unity Analytics is too small.
    Example: Analytics: 2 times a day, Server: 216 times a day

Why is this happening?

100 events / hour / user Is not it too little to be limited?

Is there a limit of 100 events per hour per app? Or is it per user using the app?

25. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

@rikkir

You can always check to make sure an Analytics event is sent correctly. You can wrap your Analytics event calls inside of Debug.Log and you will get the result of the call:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Analytics.AnalyticsResult.html

Yes, data will only appear in the dashboard after it has been processed by our system.

26. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

As mentioned above, you can check the result of the Analytics calls and make sure the events are being sent correctly:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Analytics.AnalyticsResult.html

You can also use a network traffic analyzer to make sure your events are being sent from your device:
    https://www.charlesproxy.com/
    https://www.wireshark.org/

It is 100 events per hour per device.

If you send in a support ticket with your project ID, we would be able to take a look at your app in particular and see what data we are receiving:
    https://analytics.cloud.unity3d.com/support/

27. ChernyakAG

ChernyakAG

Hello.

I'm having trouble working with Custom Event in Unity Analytics. I integrated my own events according to the instructions. And they even reflected in the "Validator". But, I could not get any diagrams for these events in "analytics.cloud" in the "data explorer" section. How can I see my custom events in this section? I have been waiting for more than a day.

PS. In addition, I noticed that standard custom events are not displayed in the charts for a month. For example, unity.sceneLoad. Screenshot is attached.

Attached Files:

28. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

29. gnoxia

gnoxia

Hello,

I can't see my data on 7/7 and 7/8, it always shows day in progress, have I lost my data already?
    Why this happens?

30. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

@gnoxia

Currently, our data processing is taking a little longer than normal. I want to reassure you that no data has been lost and we are working to get this issue resolved.

I apologize for any inconvenience this delay has caused.

31. brainydexter

brainydexter

I was wondering if an event like level_finished would be added to standard events ? I understand there is a success and fail variant, but what if I don't care about that. I just want to know if the player finished the level or not. Also, this helps with designing the funnel. If I have a level_begin as step 1, I can have level_finished as step 2 and completed as successful or failure as an extra parameter.

With two distinct events, I don't know how will I design a funnel to track players progress and where they drop off ?

Thoughts?

32. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

We do have the level_fail and level_quit standard events, and you can also add optional parameters to any event if you choose.

33. EnjoyTime

EnjoyTime

I am using Unity's 4.x version of Analytics.
    My projects have been used by Analytics and many people are using them.
    Until May, Analytics showed good event information.
    However, Analytics has no data since June.
    Why is this?

34. brainydexter

brainydexter

Yes but the funnel expects one event. How should I design the funnel step with two events as, either or ?

35. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

@brainydexter Funnels are sequential based on events. In your case, can a user jump in and start level 3 for example? Or must they first complete levels 1 and 2. Then a funnel would not work in this case. Generally you design your funnel to include all your levels which must be completed successfully in order. If the users "completes" level 2 but with a failure, do you allow them to continue onto level 3? If so then yes, that would present an issue. So you know, the Pro version of Unity provides Raw Data Export which would provide the information that you would need in these cases. Alternately but not entirely elegant would be to create multiple funnels. Start Level 1 -> Level 1 Failure and also Start Level 1 -> Level 1 Success. You would have to do this for each level. Otherwise, if you just have Level 1 Complete -> Level 2 Complete - > Level 3 Complete etc, your funnel might show funnel steps with values 10, 5, 2. So 10 users completed Level 1, and then 5 of those users completed level 2, etc.

36. brainydexter

brainydexter

@JeffDUnity3D I understand the concept of funnel. I've implemented it using a custom event instead of standard event. When a level is finished, I send won/lost information as parameter. While they cannot advance to the next level till they finish/win a level, however if someone has lost a level, that is also valuable data to me. Since there was no way to have an either or condition for events in funnel, I chose this path. I thought others might be interested in learning if a player is finishing a level (win/loose may be extra data that they might be interested in).

37. talaei69

talaei69

Hello I want Use Unity analytic in my new IOS app. i want know its possibles for me take a object visibility time periods and send it as activity time to my dashboard thank you.

38. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

39. Jeff_Harper

Jeff_Harper

Hello, so our app was played without internet at a conference. I turned all the phones on and all the wifi on and ran the apps for a few minutes yesterday morning, ~24 hours ago, and I still do not have those events in the dashboard. Do I just need to wait a little longer or do I need to do something further? I do have the analytics files in the persistent data folder. Thank you.

40. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  41. manuelgoellnitz

manuelgoellnitz

Today I tried to download raw data from an project which runs since 2015. But i only got results back from dates after 2016-06-01. On Older dates the result was like this: "result":{"size":0,"eventCount":0,"intraDay":false}

In February i tried the same and could get all the data since 2015.

What went wrong?
    Does the data get deleted over time?
    How long is it stored?

42. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

@manuelgoellnitz,

According to our engineers, our Raw Data Export has never provided data from 2015.

Raw Data Export was launched in May 2016 and data was available from that point on. Recently, we made some updates to our system that required us to limit data export to June 2016.

And going forward, that date will not shift. So data does not get deleted over time.

manuelgoellnitz likes this.
  43. manuelgoellnitz

manuelgoellnitz

Thanks for your reply

44. renman3000

renman3000

Are analytics recorded and posted to the website in realtime? If not, what is the delay time?
    Thanks

45. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

@renman3000 Processing (delay) time is generally 8-16 hours. The raw data (as visible in the Validator) is posted immediately to our website. But the aggregation and processing for the data to appear in the Dashboard takes 8-16 hours.

renman3000 likes this.
  46. renman3000

renman3000

Thanks!

47. John1515

John1515

Hi
    Is it possible and smart to collect user feedback with Unity Analytics? E.g. user write something in an Input Field which is logged as a string in a custom event?

48. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

49. John1515

John1515

50. Adam-Bailey

Adam-Bailey

Are there delays at the moment in processing new funnels?

I created a new test project earlier this week and added a basic custom event which sends the current level reached and the game time. I then ran it to get the custom event into the system and waited a day.

The next day the custom event was listed in the dashboard so I was able to create a funnel based off it. I did this and hit the save button, and now it has been sitting processing for the past two days.

Couple of questions:
    1. Are these sort of wait times normal?

2. If so, is there any way of running through the process faster for basic projects? If it takes this long then that's what it is, but I'm setting this project up as a tutorial for students where they are going to set up analytics for their own projects and I need to work out a timetable for when we'll be able to jump to the next step.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.