Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Legacy Unity Analytics FAQs

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by sschan, Jan 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sschan

sschan

Thank you for joining Unity Analytics. We appreciate your feedback and suggestions.

Here are a list of FAQs that we will add to as questions pop up:

1. What platforms are supported?
    • iOS
    • Android
    • Universal Windows Platform
    • Mac, PC, Linux Standalone
    • Tizen
    • WebGL
    2. Is Unity Analytics free?
    Yes! Unity Analytics is available to all Unity developers regardless of license tier. We do have additional features for Plus and Pro subscribers.
    3. When should I expect to see data populate my dashboard?
    In general, you should start to see data on your dashboard after the next processing cycle completes, which is roughly every 8 hours.

Your data will only be included in the processing cycles if you've visited your dashboard at least once after completing the integration process.

4. It’s been 8+ hours and I still don’t see any data on my dashboard - what’s going on?

Depending on when in our processing cycle you integrate, it may take up to 16 hours for data to appear in your dashboard.
    • Processing Cycle A starts (your data hasn't been sent yet)
    • Your data sent
    • 8 hours later
    • Processing Cycle B starts (which includes your data)
    • 8 hours later
    • Your data is shown in the dashboard.
    So 16 hours is the longest you'll typically have to wait for data when you first integrate.

5. When will my Funnel be live?
    Your funnel should be live after about 8 hours - subject to us receiving the custom event data. Make sure you complete custom event integration first!

A funnel will not switch over to being Active until it has received an event that triggers the first step. If your funnel is still Processing after 8 hours, check the first step and make sure you are sending a Custom Event that will match that format.

6. How can I give other users access to my dashboard?
    You can give other users access to your dashboard by going to the Organizations section of the Unity Developer Dashboard and adding their UDN account to your organization:
    https://id.unity.com/organizations

Few things to note:
    • Only an Owner or Manager can add users
    • Users must have an existing UDN account (which they can create at https://id.unity3d.com)
    • UDN accounts are case-sensitive
    7. How do I delete a project?
    It is currently not possible to delete a project. However, you can Archive a project to remove it from your dashboard. This process is reversible, so you can always un-archive a project.
    https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/how-to-archive-a-project.404729/

8. What happens when there is no Internet access when my user is playing?
    Our SDK caches events that are sent if the request fails for any reason(e.g. no internet connection) after it reaches the retry threshold. Once there's an internet connection, we resend the cached events.

9. What is the Google License Key / Google API Key?
    The Google License Key (or Google API Key or Google public key) is needed for Receipt Verification. This will allow us to mark revenue as Verified if the receipt can be verified with Google. (The Google License Key is the only step in this process if you are using Unity IAP. If you are using transaction events with another IAP plugin, make sure to follow this receipt verification guide.)

Your Google License Key can be found in the Google Play Developer console under All applications > Services & APIs > Your License Key For This Application.

10 Can I clear the data in my project?

Yes! On the Configure page of your dashboard, there is a Data Reset button to clear data from your dashboard. It may take up to 36 hours for data to be cleared.
    https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/new-data-reset-functionality.450831/

11. How do I submit a feature request?
    You can submit your feature requests on our Feedback page:
    https://feedback.unity3d.com/forums/unity/suggestions?category=analytics

12. How do I report a bug or issues with Unity Analytics?

Send us a note https://analytics.unity3d.com/support

13. What is the difference between data on Integration pages and the Data Explorer?

The Validator on the Integration pages only displays data when playing from the editor or when playing from a built project where 'Development Build' was check in the Build Settings window. The Data Explorer will fill with data from built projects where 'Development Build' was or was not checked as well as with data from the editor.

14. What are the custom events / parameter limitations for each license tier?
    The following limits apply regardless of license tier:
    • Default limit of 10 parameters per custom event
      • If there are more parameters passed, the call will fail with a return value of AnalyticsResult.TooManyItems
    • Default limit of 500 characters for the dictionary content
      • If more than 500 characters are passed, the call will fail with return value of AnalyticsResult.SizeLimitReached
    • Default limit of 100 custom events per hour, per user
      • If more than 100 events per hour are called, the call will fail with return value of AnalyticsResult.TooManyRequests
    15. Using Funnel Analyzer and Raw Data Export, would you be able to see data on a user level rather than aggregated?
    Funnels and custom segments are features that are exclusive to our dashboard. However, you can recreate these features with Raw Data to expose some of the information you're looking for. Also, all the events from Raw Data Export will contain a user ID, so they can be analyzed on a user level rather than an aggregate level.

16. What is the Raging Bots (Demo App) on my project list?
    That is a Unity-created to demonstrate the features of the Analytics dashboard. You can hide this project from you project list by clicking the hide button.

17. What version of Unity does Analytics require?
    Unity Analytics is integrated into Unity 5.2+.

For 4.6 - 5.1, there is an SDK available. Not all platforms are supported with the SDK.
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/UnityAnalyticsSDK.html

Have questions on these topics? Read more here:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2017
  2. FreebordMAD

FreebordMAD

I was downloading Google Analytics in the exactly same moment as the news mail from Unity with this awesome new Unity Analytics system came in. If I wouldn't have read this FAQ (I wish I didn't) then I would have the Unity Analytics already installed.
    Does this mean that Unity Pro will be not enough to use the full Unity Analytics once it is out for Unity 5? Will it be charged by traffic amount?

3. sschan

sschan

Hi FreeboardMAD - Thank you for taking a closer look at Unity Analytics and reading our FAQs.

At this moment, a pricing strategy has not been finalized but we plan to offer a free tier of Unity Analytics to all Unity developers regardless, whether or not you have a Pro license. A premium tier of analytics will available later this year but details have not been finalized.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2016
    YanShen and FreebordMAD like this.
  4. Raimis

Raimis

Hi, while importing package today, i have noticed win8 and wp8 plugin dlls. Does this mean that that wp8 is already supported or are those there just to avoid compiling errors? Also is 100 custom events per hour a limitation of beta or will it remain active afterwards as well? Given single level takes 1 minute to pass (hence 40 events per hour), this limits amount of other data we can send, because if we send 2 extra events per level, we will hit 100 events limit. Thanks in advance for your anwers.

5. mbirk

mbirk

Unity Technologies

Hi Raimis! Those Windows Phone dlls are indeed just to avoid compilation errors. However, we are planning to support Windows Phone and will be working on the integration soon. I can't give you an exact timeline but we're talking weeks not months :)

As for custom events, there will almost certainly always be some limits, because processing those events has some cost for us. If you sign up for Analytics now, you can have access to Analytics Pro for free, with significantly more data processing allowed.

If you'd like to discuss your specific use case with us, feel free to contact our Support team at https://analytics.unity3d.com/support !

6. randomperson42

randomperson42

Are there plans for standalone PC support?

7. ocean_maps

ocean_maps

Is an advertising identifier used in any way? In case its somehow connected to the unity ads..

8. Raimis

Raimis

@mbrik, Thanks for the answers. Well we don't have any specific requests, but 100 limit is really low for games that have potential to engage users for hours and have short game sessions. Though in most of the cases 100 requests is more than enough with with decent plan for analytics, I do see cases where it will limit us.

I possibly have a feature suggestion that would probably solve this. I suppose the component responsible for tracking these limits is on user side isn't it? Or is it server that sends out the error messages? If it's user side, it would be great to have properties like .eventsLeft & .timeTillReset. This would allow developers to create event tiers. For example click of the button is interesting, but it's only interesting if there's plenty of events left. If I only have 5 events left and it's 20 minutes until reset, I'd rather reserve these events for level completion times, or for identifying level problems (where all users fail) or something related to my funnels rather than waste these precious events on something of minor importance.

We have tried few different analytics in our games and I have never seen such limitation. Though I understand why it's there and I even like it (this forces you to put much more thought into analytics plan), but I wish there were means to dynamically adjust which events are sent and which are ignored when you approach the upper limit. Of course we could develop this solution myself, but given this limitation comes from your lib, I'd think it's reasonable to expect you to provide the means to work around it as well. How does that sound?

9. sschan

sschan

Hi @randomperson42 - We're currently working on extending support to additional platforms, one of which is standalone PC. Please stay tuned for further updates!

randomperson42 likes this.
  10. markychoi

markychoi

The Unity Analytics SDK does not use the advertising identifier (IDFA for iOS and Advertising ID for Android) in any way.

Hiromichi-Yamada and John1515 like this.
  11. mbirk

mbirk

Unity Technologies

@Raimis Thanks for the suggestions! Your intuition is correct, the 100/hour limit is implemented on the client side. (We do have some server-side limits as well, however, and may need additional such limits so that our system scales well.) So it would be relatively straightforward to add detailed info such as eventsLeft and timeUntilReset.

That being said, our goal is to provide a system that is simple to use and meets the needs of the majority of our users, so I'd rather find ways to raise the limits! But, given that this would be an easy feature to implement and could enable more advanced use cases, I think it has a fair chance of making it into an upcoming sprint. Sorry I can't be more specific :/

12. Raimis

Raimis

@mbrik Thanks for the update. Since we are publishing the game for WP8 first, we are looking forward for wp8 support as well. Hopefully, this feature is enabled by then :). I do hope that we can get rid of flurry then :)

13. totsboy

totsboy

Do I need Unity5 to use analytics?

14. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

No, our product works in 4.2 - 5.0.

From 5.1, you'll be able to use the tool without downloading/installing an SDK.

15. hyperhippo

hyperhippo

16. skullthug

skullthug

Does Unity Analytics for Android still function properly if a plugin takes over the MAIN activity?
    Mostly just asking because the analytics packages I've used so far have required doing so, so I'd love to have to stop dealing with that hassle.

17. kentunity

kentunity

Unity Technologies

Our plugin should still work, since our SDK doesn't have calls that require the Main Activity specifically.
    You'll also notice that we also do not override AndroidManifest.xml, so our plugin can easily work with other plugins, avoiding the AndroidManifest merging nightmare.

skullthug likes this.
  18. skullthug

skullthug

19. chabix

chabix

Hello,
    Please, would someone telle what the benefits of filling the "Google API Key" field are?
    Also what's the expected value here ? and can I get it ?
    Cheers.

20. angeloferro

angeloferro

Hi @chabix!

The Google API Key is needed for implementing receipting verification for in-app purchases (IAP) on Google Play. This is optional, but if you are developing for Android and have in-app purchases, we highly recommend implementing it. Please refer to this receipt verification guide for more information.

Hope this clarifies things - please let us know if you have any additional questions :)

21. chabix

chabix

22. plasticYoda

plasticYoda

Got a couple of questions on the 'Terms of Agreement':

1.5 You understand that the Services are supported by generating revenue: (i) by delivering advertisements to the End Users; (ii) from transactions completed, performed or delivered (directly or indirectly) from the End Users, and/or (iii) from other forms of monetization from the End Users. You agree to permit and allow such activity by Unity, subject to Section 3 below.

This says that Unity will deliver ads to the end-user, I assume that as a developer we will have no control over these Ad deliveries?

--------------------

3.5 You will maintain and post a privacy policy that will be posted on your web site and/or in the Content or App that you develop using the Unity Software and be consistent with industry standards and comply with all applicable laws. You will make your privacy policy reasonably accessible to all current and potential End Users. Your privacy policy will describe (a) your collection, use (including sharing), and protection of End User Data; (b) your use of a service provider for the purpose of analyzing Data collected within your App; and (c) your and your service providers right and ability to target and deliver advertisements to End Users based on device identifiers and other End User Data. You agree that your data collection and use, including sharing of personal information, resulting from use of the Services will always comply with your privacy policy.

Can Unity provide a privacy policy boilerplate that complies with this clause. Also, if we use Unity Analytics in a paid app with no ads, can Unity still inject Ads into such an App?

This section explicitly mentions the use of a 'Device Identifier' to deliver ads, however a previous post in this thread specifically says such identifiers will not be used. Can someone at Unity clarify this position?

Thanks.

23. markychoi

markychoi

Hi @plasticYoda, here are the answers to your questions:

(ii) from transactions completed, performed or delivered (directly or indirectly) from the End Users, and/or (iii) from other forms of monetization from the End Users. You agree to permit and allow such activity by Unity, subject to Section 3 below.

This says that Unity will deliver ads to the end-user, I assume that as a developer we will have no control over these Ad deliveries?

When it comes to the delivery of advertising, the developer will always have control over whether any advertising is instrumented within their game. In order to show ads with Unity Services, the developer will always have to opt-in into advertising by signing up and doing additional instrumentation for in-game ads to ever be shown. Unity will never show advertising within a developer’s game without such a user’s opt-in.

Can Unity provide a privacy policy boilerplate that complies with this clause. Also, if we use Unity Analytics in a paid app with no ads, can Unity still inject Ads into such an App?

Due to legal limitations, Unity is unable to provide legal advice or guidance in such a way. You are responsible for procuring your own legal counsel and ensuring your compliance with all laws, rules and regulations applicable to you and your game. To the extent that is practically and legally feasible, we can answer directed questions regarding our terms that are sent to us using the Support form (https://analytics.cloud.unity3d.com/support).

As mentioned above, Unity will never inject ads into an app that has not opted into advertising, including in the use case described.

This section explicitly mentions the use of a 'Device Identifier' to deliver ads, however a previous post in this thread specifically says such identifiers will not be used. Can someone at Unity clarify this position?

Currently today, the Unity Analytics SDK does not use the advertising identifier (e.g., IDFA) in any way. However, other Unity Services such as Unity Ads does make use of the advertising identifier, and only within the stated guidelines of the platform holders (i.e., Google and Apple).

24. plasticYoda

plasticYoda

The problem is when you post 'When it comes to the delivery of advertising, the developer will always have control over whether any advertising is instrumented within their game.' it is directly in conflict with the Terms of Agreement that we have to agree to. If Unity will 'never' inject ads without permission, then the ToA needs to be modified, because the way I read it, by agreeing to this ToA, the developer is giving such permission to Unity (though probably 90% of the people who agree to these things never read them).

As for the Device Identifiers, once again the ToA contradicts what you and others have said. With an iOS app, Apple are pretty specific about device identifiers and their use. In fact, if an app does not have ads and still accesses the identifier, then Apple will reject it. Currently the ToA allows Unity to arbitrarily decide on using the Device Identifiers. Once again, I'd request that the ToA clarify this to mirror what is being stated in this forum.

Thanks.

25. Gokuofuin

Gokuofuin

HI there everyone,

I have been hunting around for a fix for a small annoying problem I have.

You see I was browsing the asset store and noticed the Analytics BETA asset so naturally being an idiot I decided to install it. Once I did however and I tried to set it up then I realised (once on the website) that my version of Unity does this with built in tools, so all I needed to do was to get the number to put in the PlayerSettings field.

So I followed the steps to upgrade the Analytics from the website and I still after many many times of trying to fix this get the popup to please update my Analytics.

Any thoughts on how I can get rid of the popup or solve the issue entirely?

Thanks in advance :D

26. sschan

sschan

27. Volodej

Volodej

Hi,
    Do you plan to support WebGL / Web Player?
    If so, could you say something about terms to add this feature?

28. sschan

sschan

29. Aedy

Aedy

I'm getting ready to launch my first android app, but it looks like the new analytics features require storage and network permissions. Is there any way to currently turn analytics off, so these permissions are not required?

30. Pixie3D

Pixie3D

Is it possible to show the analytic data on a personal website rather than using the dashboard by any chance?

31. sschan

sschan

Hi @Pixie3D - Currently it is not possible to show the data on a personal website. You would need to login to our dashboard to view your data. However, please read this post on possible APIs we will be providing so you can access your data. We are actively working on raw data export and will post to the Forum when it’s ready. :D Regarding the other APIs, we encourage you to vote it up here.

32. sschan

sschan

Hi @Aedy - There isn't a workaround/fix for storage and network permissions. Unity Analytics or any other analytics solutions will require storage and network permissions. We cannot post analytics data without network permissions.

33. katyak

katyak

Hi, can I use Unity Analytics for VR to track Hardware: GPU, CPU. HMD and Fram Rate? Thx!

34. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

Sadly, that's not currently a feature we have built. We are looking at better ways to assist VR analytics, but it's still at a pretty early stage.

35. isidro02139

isidro02139

Hello Unity Analytics team and other Unity devs ^_^ ~

I'm making a game where we want to track what % of users pass level 1, level 2, level 3... etc. I think what I want is to make a 'Funnel Analyser', but I'm just wondering what is the best way to record the event; I was thinking something like:

Analytics.CustomEvent("LevelClear", newDictionary<string,object>
    {
    {"tower", tower},
    {"floor", floor},
    {"difficulty", difficulty},
    });

(In our game, each level is a "tower" with sub-levels called "floors")

I hope this is an appropriate forum for this type of question, if not please let me know f^_^;)

p.s. @marc_tanenbaum is your profile pic the bathing Japanese snow monkeys of Nagano!!? I've been there too!

36. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

That's a good event structure for a funnel (assuming everything is linear). You can specify each step as requiring the tower and floor properties.

Yep, that is they! I've not actually been there. A friend went and photographed the Nagano monkeys awhile back and tagged me in one of the pictures. Ever since, I've been a monkey's uncle.

isidro02139 likes this.
  37. Gamba

Gamba

Hi,

My question is about pricing in relation to the Organization.

We're a 3rd party developer and we maintain our own Unity Pro licenses as part of the money we collect from publishers for development.

We're in a situation now were we have a publisher who we'll even be building and pushing to the app stores for and we'd like to suggest using Unity Analytics.

However, when setting up a sample project to play with and configuring the organization, I noticed information about pro licenses that can be tracked there.

I just wanted to ask if pricing will somehow be tied to pro licenses in the future or if you've thought about ways to allow a publisher to pay for and use your analytics solution without forcing them to buy or subscribe to a version of the editor?

Thanks.

38. mpinol

mpinol

HI @Gamba,

There will always be a free tier of Analytics available to all users. There will also be a paid tier of Analytics that will be offered which anyone will be able to subscribe to without the need of having a Pro license!

39. Gamba

Gamba

Thanks! That's great news.

40. chilberto

chilberto

I don't see Analytics on the roadmap: https://unity3d.com/unity/roadmap

Is there a projected release date? I have seen some posts regarding the development flag. Is the current version of analytics supported in a non-development build?

41. erika_d

erika_d

Hi @chilberto,

We do support all analytics events in non-development builds (with the exception of if you are also using the Heatmaps, which we do not recommend for non-development builds).

I'm thinking the development flag you're referring to is the Development Build checkbox in build settings? If so, having that box checked just directs analytics events to show up in our event validator, which shows events in real time, allowing for immediate testing.

You can absolutely have your analytics events be called in public releases of your app!

42. chilberto

chilberto

Thank you erika_d. That is great; it will be very useful to get some analytic data from real players!

erika_d likes this.
  43. JeffForKing

JeffForKing

I recently integrated Unity Analytics into my iOS project. I enabled COPPA compliance for this app and disabled Unity ads in the services window, yet when I build my app I still see UnityAds directories in my XCode file tree and see a Unity Advertisments .dll file in the build.

The last thing I want is to have my app rejected due to some lingering IDFA/Coppa/iOS child restriction guideline. Does anyone have any insight into removing the Unity Ads o whether leaving them creates an issue when submitting a childrens app to the app store? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

44. Buka

Buka

Hi! I am using Unity analytics and my stats are different than the stats on Play Store for my game. I know that Play Store statistics can be delayed for few days but the problem is in install count. For example when game was still beta I install/reinstall/update my game on my phone over 40 times and that statistics appeared in Unity analytics somehow. So my question here is: What Unity Analytics count as install exactly? Does it count per phone ID or per actual install regardless of app being on the phone or not or installed already etc...Can somebody clarify this to me since I am getting inaccurate stats all the time because I still have to test my game and install on the phone
    Cheers!!!

45. mpinol

mpinol

Hi @Buka,

The first time an app is opened a unique user id is generated and stored locally on the device. This user id is how we count new and daily users. If the file containing this user id is deleted or moved then the next time the app is opened a new user id will be generated and that user will be counted as a new user. So if a user reinstalls an app they will be counted as a 'new user' the next time they open it.

I hope this clarifies some things!

46. Buka

Buka

Thanks for reply, so if I delete the app and install it again it is count as a new user, but if I update existing app it won't count as a new right, if local file is not deleted or overridde? So Unity analytics is not accurate when it comes to unique users, that is why my statistics is different than Google Play stats.

47. mpinol

mpinol

Hey @Buka,

You are correct, as long as the local file is not deleted or overridden then they still count as the same user. We are currently looking into other ways to determine unique users so we can have user ids persist across uninstalls/reinstalls!

48. Buka

Buka

Thanks, that would be great and stats would be very accurate. Looking forward to see those features.
    Cheers!!!

mpinol likes this.
  49. mpinol

mpinol

Hey @JeffForKing,

I wanted to let you know that we are looking into this and will get back to you as soon as we have any more information!

50. unity-nikkolai

unity-nikkolai

Hi @JeffForKing, sorry about the delay on this. Wanted to check in with you quickly to see if this is still an issue?

Looking into it now using the latest versions of Unity. If this is still an issue, please let me know which version of Unity you are currently using. Thanks!

erika_d and mpinol like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.