Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Unity Analytics FAQs

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by Laurie-Unity, Oct 21, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laurie-Unity

Laurie-Unity

Unity Technologies

This thread contains answers to frequently asked questions on the Unity Gaming Services Analytics package. We welcome your feedback and will add more answers to this thread as questions arise.

Feedback

In terms of feedback, we're especially looking for:
    • Use cases that are important to you and your projects
    • Workflows that are unclear or missing
    • Features you'd like to see in future releases
    • Questions or feedback on our documentation
    Please share your feedback as new posts in this sub-forum.

How to report bugs with Analytics

Please submit bugs or feature requests by filling in the following form.

Thank you for your interest, we're looking forward to your feedback!

2. Laurie-Unity

Laurie-Unity

Unity Technologies

General

What is Unity Analytics?
    Unity Analytics provides an end-to-end suite of tools that studios make use of to understand how their players are engaging with their game. It allows them to dig deep and answer questions about their game performance and player behavior and easily take action to roll out new configurations or run AB tests without releasing new versions of their game to do so.

Is there a cost associated with Unity Analytics?
    Starting from August 1st, 2023, Analytics has transitioned to a pricing model based on Monthly Active Users (MAU). MAU is determined by the total count of unique user IDs within your organization that have engaged in at least one session during a month. Under this new pricing structure, we've introduced a free tier of 50,000 MAU per month to help you get up and running without incurring any costs. After that, the price you pay scales along with your player base. You can find more information on our billing page.

How can I get started with Analytics?
    To get started, you need to:
    What platforms are supported?
    Unity Analytics supports the following platforms:
    • iOS
    • Android
    • Desktop (Windows, Linux, Mac)
    • WebGL
    How can I submit feedback?
    Please submit any feedback, bugs or feature requests by filling in the following form. We’ll also be triggering an in-product customer satisfaction survey as well as reaching out via email to schedule customer feedback calls.

What versions of Unity are supported?
    When using the Analytics SDK the minimum Unity Editor version required for Unity Analytics is Unity 2019.4.

How long does it take before my data shows in the dashboard?
    After the SDK installation, it can take a minimum of one hour for the metrics to be processed for analysis in the Dashboards and Data Explorer. To confirm your integration has been successful, use the Event Browser to view your event stream. More information about the Event Browser can be found here.

What KPIs can I track?
    A full list of metrics can be found on the Data Explorer feature for tracking against your game KPIs. The list is limited to the ones predefined with no ability to create custom metrics.

Why do I get an Unexpected Error message when viewing Analytics?
    Check that you don't have an AdBlocker enabled, they can cause issues on Analytics pages.

Events

Are there limits to how many events I can send?

There is currently no event limit for Unity Analytics. We strongly recommend limiting the number of custom events per MAU to 500 custom events per MAU to be in accordance with our fair usage limits.

Are there any size limitations on my event parameters?

We recommend avoiding sending events with large parameter values (greater than 100 characters) as these will be slower to analyze later. The overall size of each event is limited to 1MB. This includes the entire JSON serialization of the event.

Where are my events, some are missing?

The first place to look for missing events is the Event Browser. This is the first place events will flow prior to the Dashboards & Data Explorer. Verify that the events are valid. Invalid events will be shown by clicking on the Invalid Events tab which displays an invalid reason. More information can be found here.

My Events are failing with the reason that duplicate events are detected.
    Duplicate Events can appear within the Event Browser; this is likely when the events are sent over the SDK which doesn’t log them as received so will send them again. All the events have a unique eventID so any duplicates will be immediately rejected by the platform. This is not something to worry about and can happen when a player has network connectivity issues.

What happens to Events collected during offline play?

Events recorded during offline play are cached locally on the client device and sent when connectivity is restored.

Can I see what Events are being sent?

The events sent can be seen within 5 - 15 minutes of being sent in the Event Browser or by enabling logging into the console. More information can be found here.

Can I track player attribution?

You can track the data provided by MMPs on the client side such as (but not limited to): the ad network, the specific ad which brought the user to your game, and the cost to acquire this user. All of this data can be recorded in our standard event: acquisitionSource. Find out how here.

Can I track revenue?

IAP revenue can be tracked in Unity Analytics if you are using the Unity IAP Package and have Unity Analytics installed and enabled. Alternatively, if you are not using the IAP Package, you can record your own transaction events and send them to Unity Analytics

Ad Revenue can be tracked by recording an adImpression event and populating the adEcpmUsd parameter and any other required parameters. You will be responsible for populating this event and sending it in your code and it should be noted that not all Ad provider SDKs make the Ad revenue available to the client at runtime.

Privacy

Is Analytics COPPA compliant?

In order to provide analytics for your games, Unity Analytics generates an anonymized user ID for each user in your game unless provided with a userID by the developer. We do not use any of these IDs generated from Child Apps to track users across apps built by other developers or to map users between devices, or browsers on the same computer. See the privacy overview page for information on the personal data collected.

If your application is a Child App, you need to designate it as such within the Editor service panel or via the Project creation process in the Unity Dashboard.

Is Unity Analytics GDPR compliant?
    Maintaining compliance with GDPR when you use Unity Analytics is a shared responsibility. Unity is the data processor and therefore provides the functionality for the developer to allow a player to opt in and out of data collection and to manage the personal data that Unity collects about them, as required by the GDPR. More information about managing data privacy can be found here.

Data

Can I send Events from non-Unity apps?

The Analytics package and the REST API are the only methods of sending data that are currently supported.

Can I send Events from a server?

Yes, Events can be sent to the Analytics REST API.

Can I send data I exported from another service?

You can’t send data directly from another service, but you can send data to the Analytics REST API if you have exported it and transformed it to match the analytics event definitions in your project.

Can I backfill old data?

No, events with an event timestamp older than 31 days ago will be dropped automatically.

How long is player data retained?

Player data retention on Analytics varies based on the type of data. Metric data (DAU, MAU, session length, etc.) for dashboards and user profiles is retained until either the player requests its deletion or the developer initiates its removal. Raw event data is kept for 13 months, providing year-on-year analysis, after which it is automatically deleted. Once raw event data is deleted, it cannot be retrieved, and developers should conduct analyses within the retention period. The data is primarily used for analysis and targeting purposes, and developers can request data deletion on players' behalf either by requesting it through the dashboard or by submitting an opt out request via the SDK. Data deletion requests will affect metric data, raw event data and user profile data.

Can I export my data?

Reports that are created within the dashboard can be exported to PNG or CSV. Alternatively, if you would like to export raw data you can make use of the Data Access feature to again access your organization data through Snowflake.

Can I disable Analytics?

Yes, Analytics can be enabled and disabled from the Analytics Settings page on the Unity Dashboard. Disabling this setting prevents further data from being recorded. It can be re-enabled again at a later date to resume data recording.

Can I delete my data?

Yes, use Game Data Deletion to delete your data per environment.

Can I delete a player’s data?

There is a “Request Data Deletion” function built into the SDK that can be used to delete all the data for a given player. It records a ddnaForgetMe event that results in all the data for the player being deleted within the next 30 days. This event can also be submitted through the Analytics REST API. Note, if new data is received for the player it’ll be recorded. See our privacy overview documentation for more information.

Can I block a player?

No, it’s not possible to block individual players.

Where are the servers hosted?

Our servers are in Belgium and we use Snowflake instances in the Netherlands to store data plus a replicated copy in Iowa.

Legacy Analytics

Why is the legacy analytics platform being phased out?

Unity is consolidating its efforts to focus on the enhancement and development of our new Unity Analytics platform, leading to the discontinuation of the Legacy Analytics platform.

When will Legacy Analytics be shut down?

Legacy Analytics is no longer available to adopt or access in the dashboard. As of January 31, 2024, the legacy Unity Analytics platform will cease the transmission of new data for analysis to Analytics. The automatic forwarding of data from the legacy Unity Analytics product will come to a halt, and only data generated from the Analytics SDK will be accepted moving forward.

What is the timeline for this transition?

We are providing our customers with a 6-month notice to facilitate a smooth transition to Analytics. Starting from January 31, 2024, the legacy data pipeline will be deprecated, and Legacy Unity Analytics will be fully phased out.

How do I integrate the Analytics SDK into my projects?

You can follow this step-by-step guide to integrate the Analytics SDK into your projects.

Will I lose access to historical data from the legacy platform?

The deprecation of the legacy data pipeline impacts the processing of incoming data from the moment of deprecation onward. It's important to be aware that Unity Analytics maintains a data retention period of 13 months, which means that any data older than 13 months will be permanently deleted.

What benefits does the new Analytics platform offer?

Provides a variety of advantages, such as adaptable privacy options, dedicated environments, customized event tracking, SQL querying capabilities, enhanced data timeliness, the capability to perform historical data funnels, and the creation of centralized dashboards for report visualization.

How will this transition affect my billing or pricing?
    Analytics is a pay-as-you-scale product, offering a free tier. See the billing page for more information.

Do I need to update my game or app for this transition?

Incorporating the Analytics SDK into your game necessitates the release of a new game version, followed by your players adopting this update. We strongly advise you to integrate the SDK into your game at your earliest convenience to allow your players sufficient time to utilise Analytics.

Can I continue to use the legacy platform in parallel with the new one?

Throughout the 6-month transition period, you will receive data concurrently from both Legacy and Analytics. However, once this transition period concludes, you will exclusively receive data from the Analytics SDK or REST API.

What happens if I don't transition before the specified date?
    If you don’t transition before January 31, 2024, you will no longer see new data in the Analytics dashboard and your analysis will be limited to historical data.

How can we get help if we’re having trouble with our transition?

If you have any concerns or questions about your project and migration, please contact our support team, or reach out to your client partner so we can help you through this transition.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2023
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.