Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Analytics, Encrypted PII and the GDPR

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by Dennooo, Nov 24, 2019.

1. Dennooo

Dennooo

Hi there,

I know I can't expect any legal advice here, but I'd still like to hear your views on this subject:

I want to do a simple academic experiment in my video game, but it requires the age and gender of the players. Players will be informed before the data is collected and can opt-in to participate. The game also has opt-out options.

To implement the experiment, I would like to use Unity Analytics and extract the data via the raw data export. However, the best practices on Unity Analytics and PII (https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/UnityAnalyticsDataPrivacy.html) says that PII should not be sent to Unity via standard or custom events.

Now my two questions:
    1. What is your impression - would Unity Analytics be unsuitable in the scenario described above to collect age and gender within the GDPR?
    2. Does anything change here if age and gender are transmitted encrypted by means of RSA before sending it via Unity Analytics events?

2. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

I might suggest you email gdpr@unity3d.com with your question. Keep in mind that Raw Data Export requires a Pro license.

Dennooo likes this.