Search Unity

Unity Affine Transform

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by criistii22, Jun 9, 2011.

1. criistii22

criistii22

Is there any way to apply affine transforms with unity classes. I didn't manage to find anything in the documentation.

What I need to do:
    I am using GuiManager2, and I need a "minimap". I will need textures that orbit (rotate) in 2D space around a center point. Since i'll have 20+ objects that need this, I am trying to figure out the most performance effective way to determine the Vector2 for each object.

In a previous objective c project I used this function:

Code (csharp):
    1. + (void)rotatePoint:(VBasePoint*)point :(CGPoint)origin :(CGFloat)angle {
    2.     CGAffineTransform translate = CGAffineTransformMakeTranslation(origin.x,origin.y);
    3.     CGAffineTransform rotate = CGAffineTransformMakeRotation(angle);
    5.     CGAffineTransform concat = CGAffineTransformConcat(CGAffineTransformConcat( CGAffineTransformInvert(translate), rotate), translate);
    7.     CGPoint newPoint = CGPointApplyAffineTransform(*point.location, concat);
    8.     point->x = newPoint.x;
    9.     point->y = newPoint.y;
    10. }

2. Antitheory

Antitheory

As far as I know Unity doesn't have a built-in tool for creating affine matrices. You could use a 4x4 matrix for this if you want. Better yet you could just use Vector3s and confine their rotation to the plane you are working in.

Vector3 p;
    p = Quaternion.EulerAngles(0, 0, 45) * p;

This will rotate the vector P by 45 degrees in the Z axis. So if your center of rotation is at (10,10,0) and you want to rotate point (5,5,0) about this pivot, you would define P as the vector created from (point - pivot). And after you rotate the vector P you get your new point by doing (P + pivot)

3. criistii22

criistii22

Hey.
    Thanks for the info, it does work. In case anyone else is interested, here is a code snippet from what I am working on. The only change is that I used the 'Euler' function, since 'EulerAngles' is depricted:
    Code (csharp):
    1. private void ManageMonsterIcons()
    2.     {
    3.         float angle = 360f / monsterIcons.Count;
    4.         Vector3 center = new Vector3(Screen.width * 0.5f, 0, Screen.height * 0.5f);
    5.         Vector3 offset = center - new Vector3(0f, 0f, -100f);
    6.         Vector3 dif = offset - center;
    8.         for (int i=0; i<monsterIcons.Count; i++)
    9.         {
    10.             GUIQuadObj icon = (GUIQuadObj)monsterIcons[i];
    12.             float myAngle = angle * i;
    14.             Vector3 p = Quaternion.Euler(0f, myAngle, 0f) * dif;
    15.             p += center;
    17.             icon.Location = new Vector2(p.x, p.z);
    18.             icon.Visible = true;
    19.         }
    20.     }

4. Karsnen_2

Karsnen_2

Hi,

If I have a vector3 (say A) based off another vector (say B), is it possible to find A if I happen to change B. I hope it is possible through affine transformation but I am not sure as of how to apply them.