Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity ads is executed on carrier networking? (it will spend the MB of the user quickly)

Discussion in 'Unity Ads & User Acquisition' started by www_3dart_es, Jan 11, 2015.

1. www_3dart_es

www_3dart_es

Hello, I want to use Unity Ads when I discovered it, but my first question is:

If the user is using a carrier networking connection (instead of Wifi connection), the video Ads will also download anyway?.
    if this is so, the MB of the user will be spent very fast and the user will uninstall the App when he discover it.

is there any way to block the Video Ads downloads? (and use "image ads" instead)

I found this documentation, but it don´t say the actual connectivity:

http://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Application-internetReachability.html

"Note: Do not use this property to determine the actual connectivity".

is there any way to achieve this?

Regards.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
  2. unity-nikkolai

unity-nikkolai

We don't currently provide publishers with a way of limiting ads by connection type, but you could check if internetReachability is ReachableViaLocalAreaNetwork before attempting to show ads:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. // Attempt to show picture ads when using carrier network.
    2. if (Application.internetReachability == NetworkReachability.ReachableViaCarrierDataNetwork)
    3. {
    4.     if (Advertisement.isReady("pictureZone"))
    5.     {
    6.         Advertisement.Show("pictureZone");
    7.     }
    8.     else Debug.LogWarning("Unable to show Picture Ads: 'pictureZone' is not ready.")
    9. }
    10. else
    11. {
    12.     if (Advertisement.isReady())
    13.     {
    14.         Advertisement.Show();
    15.     }
    16.     else Debug.LogWarning("Unable to show ads: default zone is not ready.");
    17. }
    Edit: Updated to show picture ads when using a carrier network, and show ads normally in any other case.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
    Salazar likes this.
  3. jshrek

jshrek

@3dart.es I have implemented and used at least 10 different ad network platforms over the last couple of years, and all of them are the same... they will all download ads even if on a carrier network connection.

4. unity-nikkolai

unity-nikkolai

Advertisers with our network have the option of showing ads depending on connection type. This way users aren't shown ads for games with large downloads while they're on a carrier network. They'll only see those ads if they're on WiFi so that they can download the game. We don't have the same option yet for publishers, but it is a good idea.

The above code is the best I can recommend for the time being.

5. Lypheus

Lypheus

Do you have the option for banner style ads? I have the videos working but wanted to look into thin banner ads that would fit well during gameplay.

6. www_3dart_es

www_3dart_es

Then, the code "NetworkReachability.ReachableViaLocalAreaNetwork" lets us to know if Wifi is currently being used as internet connection?. I was confused about the "note" in this link:

http://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Application-internetReachability.html

About the option for Publishers, it will be great if you could give us an option to show "Video Ads" when the users are connected to Wifi, and show "image Ads" (I know this is in Beta now) when connected to Carrier Network. And an option to show always VideoAds (in a future all the Carrier Networks will have enough GB/month to let users to see always Video Ads).

Regards.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  7. unity-nikkolai

unity-nikkolai

8. www_3dart_es

www_3dart_es

Thanks!!

I have another question, I did read that Unity Ads download the Video ad entirely before the Advertisement is "Ready" (or I understood wrong)?. Or the Video Ads will be download in Streaming when we call "Advertisement.Show();"?.

9. unity-nikkolai

unity-nikkolai

Unity Ads first attempts to download the entire video. If it was not able to do so before the call to Advertisement.Show() is made, then it will attempt to stream the video.

There's an update on it's way that improves on this functionality by testing the network bandwidth as well. If the connection speed or quality is not suitable for streaming, then the Advertisement.isReady() method will return false.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  10. www_3dart_es

www_3dart_es

then, how we will block the downloading of first video ad?.

If I understood right, it will download the first video available when the app starts, independently of the code you posted to use image ads instead of video ads. If you use the "Advertisement.Show()" call, it will try to download another new video.
    But in our case, when we are using your code above, we will not call "Advertisement.Show()" when the user are under carrier network. Then, the result is that the phone will not download more videos when in carrier networking, but it will download the first video irremediably. is this so?.