Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Ads in App Store game targeted at kids

Discussion in 'Unity Ads & User Acquisition' started by Jimbo_Slice, Jul 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimbo_Slice

Jimbo_Slice

Hi everyone,

So as I am sure many of you know, when publishing to the App Store a parental gate must be added in games targeted at children to stop them clicking on ads and going to an external site etc. or else they get rejected.

I just want to know definitively...

Is there honestly no way of adding a parental gate with Unity Ads?

Thanks!

2. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

@Jimbo_Slice

There are no parental gate features built into Unity Ads, but it should be pretty straightforward to implement something like that.

3. Jimbo_Slice

Jimbo_Slice

The implementation of the parental gate is easy. What I am struggling with is how to trigger the parental gate when the user clicks on the ad.

I can't find any OnClickEvent or anything similar for the Advertisements API

4. KazYamof

KazYamof

5. Jimbo_Slice

Jimbo_Slice

Thanks for the suggestion. I emailed the dev there to see if it works with Unity Ads.

I just downloaded his sample game on iOS and it didn't have a parental gate on its Unity Ads (just IAP and external links) so he must have published it before Apple changed its policies to include ad clicks.

The other problem I have is even if I can intercept the OnClick event of a Unity Ad how do I render a parental gate over the top of the Unity Ad? I am assuming it is rendered to some layer in front of anything else

6. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

Ah, I see what you're saying. There isn't any way to put a parental gate specifically before clicking on an ad. You would have to show the Parental Gate before the ad is started (i.e. using the parental gate instead of calling Advertisement.Show).

7. Jimbo_Slice

Jimbo_Slice

Yeah I tried that but it still got rejected. I take it there isn't anything on the Roadmap to include the ability for parental gate functionality?

I have definitely learnt the hard way that kids game + ads + App Store = sad times but it's a shame that we can't launch the game on iOS (after putting a load of work into it)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.