Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Ads and windows phone 8

Discussion in 'Unity Ads & User Acquisition' started by echeg, Feb 2, 2015.

1. echeg

echeg

I have a problem with unity ads.
    If I add advertising(unity ads) to the application, then after that I can not build of background on windows 8.

When I build clear scene without Unity Ads I have:
    I have error:
    Error building Player: Exception: Error: type `System.Security.Cryptography.MD5CryptoServiceProvider` doesn't exist in target framework. It is referenced from Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll at System.Void UnityEngine.Advertisements.Event.Event::init().
    Error: type `System.Security.Cryptography.MD5CryptoServiceProvider` doesn't exist in target framework. It is referenced from Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll at System.Void UnityEngine.Advertisements.Event.Event::init().
    Error: method `System.Void System.Security.Cryptography.MD5CryptoServiceProvider::.ctor()` doesn't exist in target framework. It is referenced from Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll at System.Void UnityEngine.Advertisements.Event.Event::init().
    Error: method `System.Void System.Collections.Hashtable::.ctor(System.Collections.IDictionary)` doesn't exist in target framework. It is referenced from Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll at System.Boolean UnityEngine.Advertisements.HTTPLayer.HTTPRequest/<executePost>c__Iterator1::MoveNext().
    Error: method `System.Void System.IO.File::WriteAllBytes(System.String,System.Byte[])` doesn't exist in target framework. It is referenced from Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll at System.Void UnityEngine.Advertisements.PictureAdsRequest::HTTPFileCallback(UnityEngine.Advertisements.HTTPLayer.HTTPResponse).

In Events I change:
    System.Security.Cryptography.MD5CryptoServiceProvider md5 = new System.Security.Cryptography.MD5CryptoServiceProvider();
    byte[] destBytes = md5.ComputeHash(srcBytes);

string finalHash = System.BitConverter.ToString(destBytes).Replace("-", string.Empty);

reqIdBase += finalHash + "-";

To:
    #if !UNITY_WP8
    System.Security.Cryptography.MD5CryptoServiceProvider md5 = new System.Security.Cryptography.MD5CryptoServiceProvider();
    byte[] destBytes = md5.ComputeHash(srcBytes);

string finalHash = System.BitConverter.ToString(destBytes).Replace("-", string.Empty);

reqIdBase += finalHash + "-";
    #endif

I have new error with not supported Hashtable:

Error building Player: Exception: Error: method `System.Void System.Collections.Hashtable::.ctor(System.Collections.IDictionary)` doesn't exist in target framework. It is referenced from Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll at System.Boolean UnityEngine.Advertisements.HTTPLayer.HTTPRequest/<executePost>c__Iterator1::MoveNext().
    Error: method `System.Void System.IO.File::WriteAllBytes(System.String,System.Byte[])` doesn't exist in target framework. It is referenced from Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll at System.Void UnityEngine.Advertisements.PictureAdsRequest::HTTPFileCallback(UnityEngine.Advertisements.HTTPLayer.HTTPResponse).

And to build the project, you must first delete unity ads

2. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

I thought Unity Ads only supports iOS and Android?

3. unity-nikkolai

unity-nikkolai

Salazar likes this.
  4. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

5. echeg

echeg

6. echeg

echeg

This means that now you can not do the build. Even if you are not using unity ads. When assembling, you will get compilation errors.

7. unity-nikkolai

unity-nikkolai

Unity Ads was written for iOS and Android. For scripts in the Unity Ads asset package, there should be compiler conditional statements that wrap the code specific to those platforms, so that when you switch to an unsupported platform like Windows Phone 8, the code won't get compiled and won't generate any errors.

Code (CSharp):
    1. // For each script in the Unity Ads asset package
    2. // Insert the following line as the first line of the script:
    3. #if UNITY_IOS || UNITY_ANDROID
    5. //*** KEEP CONTENTS OF UNITY ADS SCRIPT HERE ***
    7. // Then add the following line as the last line in the script:
    8. #endif

Salazar and MrEsquire like this.
  8. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

When will there be an update with those conditional checks ? Currently every time I switch the build to webplayer, I can not build my game. It's not hard to do, but it's better if you guys do it so everyone don't need to do it again and again ...

9. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

10. unity-nikkolai

unity-nikkolai

Our development team operates on 3 week sprint cycles, but recently most of that effort has been directed towards server-side improvements and optimizations. Which have been necessary since our user base has grown so rapidly in the last year.

There are some big changes and improvements coming down the line for the Unity Ads SDK, but that's also somewhat slowed progress on the release. Currently, priorities have shifted focused to preparing for GDC. But still, my hopes are that we'll have an update available before then.

Salazar and MrEsquire like this.
  11. ottolb

ottolb

Hi,
    Nikkolai, there is a plan to include Unity Ads on windows phone?

12. unity-nikkolai

unity-nikkolai

Not in the near future. We're limited to just iOS and Android for now.

13. scbundy

scbundy

No Windows Phone? Well damn. Now what am I gonna do for my WP users.

Fun fact, I get more downloads on WP than Android. So, I hope u guys add this soon.

IndieFist and MobizITS like this.
  14. psykojello2

psykojello2

Oh come on, I'm tired of unity features not being supported on Windows Phone. I thought Microsoft was working with Unity to woo developers. Facebook login, Unity Ads, Cloud build - none of these are supported so I'm going to have to hold off on publishing my game for Windows Phone

Is this because of Windows 10? Are all features being held off until then?

MrEsquire likes this.
  15. sevensails

sevensails

+1 for supporting Windows Phone!

16. goat

goat

GooglePlay does seem to be the worse store front for peons, thank you haggers, trying to SEO game the system, lol. So Windows Phone and Windows Store support would be nice. Maybe it's forbidden by MS?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  17. scbundy

scbundy

Probably isn't forbidden, more likely the typical marketshare issue so Unity won't bother adding support. Hopefully with windows 10.

18. Moonstone94

Moonstone94

19. Maulwurfmann

Maulwurfmann

I also hope that it will be supported in the (near) future...

Mateq likes this.
  20. Deleted User

Deleted User

Go unity ads on windows phone!!

21. shopguy

shopguy

+1 for Unity ads, for Windows Store, not just phones, but tablets and desktops, my best market! As far as market share, desktop PCs are still king, just something to think about @unity.

I'd happily use all of my votes for this, if there is an open feature request. (I still don't know how to search that system)

Meceka likes this.
  22. Laumania

Laumania

+1 for Windows Phone support too - we have A LOT more downloads on Windows Phone than on iOS and Android.

The reason is that it's much easier to be featured on Windows Phone, which we have been a couple of times.

So Windows Phone support now please :)

23. K1kk0z90_Unity

K1kk0z90_Unity

It would be great to have Unity Ads available for UWP (Universal Windows Platform)! Are you reconsidering to add it in the near future?
    Otherwise, can someone please advise me a good alternative to Unity Ads for rewarding video ads for Windows?
    Thanks in advance! :)

24. IndieFist

IndieFist

Well, just port my game and still w/o support for windows phone.

25. Maulwurfmann

Maulwurfmann

I recently found https://vungle.com/.
    This works also with Windows Phone. But currently looks a bit buggy to me, i will give it a try for my next game (at least for the Windows Phone Version).

IndieFist likes this.
  26. IndieFist

IndieFist

Just testing, but on some devices using a video rewarded shows a black screen...

27. Gabahulk

Gabahulk

28. IndieFist

IndieFist

Damn!!! i`m gettins alot of review asking about watch videos! I need another solution, vungle works fine on windows phone 10 only...

29. SanketRJDave

SanketRJDave

Please support every platforms. Windows 10 OS is phenomenal. Windows 10 UWP is best for every developer. Please support us too.

30. IndieFist

IndieFist

Vungle supports WP10 only ?

31. White8eard

White8eard

I recently added vungle to my wp and android app, ads were working fine but when switched from test mode to active mode...no ads appear anymore on windows,but works fine on android...it just I tried to debug with isadvertavailable...it always returns false on windows...I don't get it...bcoz things were fine when it was on test...my app is close to launch and I don't HV any alternate solution

32. IndieFist

IndieFist

Maybe because there is no ads on our region, also supports tell me there is no ads on wp8.1

33. Simon_says

Simon_says

There are literally no good ad solutions for WP 8.1. I'm using the only ad sdk I could get to work which is pubCenter and fillrate is ~5%, which is nothing. Admob gives me best earnings on WP8 but doesn't support 8.1, and I don't know how do people expect us to publish games on WSA/UWP without a way to monetize them. If Unity Ads worked on WP 8.1 that would be a breakthrough...

pango likes this.
  34. IndieFist

IndieFist

Yep, i got 1k download each day in my game and more than 1,5k DAU with same video initialization, but they cant watch video ad Y_Y

35. Nolex

Nolex

+1 for Unity ads, for Windows Store.

Please advise a good advertisement Network for Windows Phone 8.1 (or Universal 8.1 / 10)

36. shopguy

shopguy

That's a pretty bad fill rate. I've been using PubCenter (now part of Dev Center) for a couple years now and I haven't looked at the numbers a lot (since either way I don't make much money) but they always seem to be over 50% fill rate when I do look at them.

In the interest of helping the community and also getting feedback as to how these compare to other ads I'm posting my numbers for the last 30 days, according to dev center... the requests are pretty small, since my games aren't very popular, so the $$$ are small, but I think requests vs revenue seems reasonable to me (if I had 1 million users, I'd be making a lot of money at this rate). Most of these are published as "Windows Store 8" and are PC, but as you can see there are 2 Mobile/Phone and the fill rate for those are even higher than the PC.

upload_2016-12-16_15-42-42.png

Nolex likes this.
  37. shopguy

shopguy

Also might depend on where most of your installs are. According to dev center reports my fill rate is over 90% in US:

upload_2016-12-16_15-48-12.png

While Morocco is less than 1%:

upload_2016-12-16_15-49-0.png

Nolex likes this.