Search Unity

Unity Ads and the app-ads.txt file

Discussion in 'Unity Ads & User Acquisition' started by Zwilnik, May 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zwilnik

Zwilnik

Does Unity Ads have an app-ads.txt line?

We've got one game using Unity Ads on the Google Play store with very few views and 2 iOS games on the App Store with a lot more view and noticed we're getting a lot of (quite spammy) GET calls to our web server for the app-ads.txt file.

As we only use Unity Ads, it seems that's the one we need to put in the file, but there doesn't seem to be any info on the proper app-ads line for it.

heglys likes this.
  2. wavs

wavs

3. NestorAlgieri

NestorAlgieri

Why wasn't this on the operations dashboard highlighted or something!?

4. Suduckgames

Suduckgames

amjaliks and wavs like this.
  5. OwlTeaGames

OwlTeaGames

Okay, I've been reading documentation all day, and I can't find an answer to a very simple question:

You say to put the file online. What does that even mean? Are you saying, "You need to have a website for your game. Buy a website." Then please say that.

Also, is this something we need to do before the game is published? After?

6. kyle-unity

kyle-unity

Unity Technologies

Hey @OwlTeaGames that's right - the app-ads.txt file needs to be placed on the same website that is listed on the store pages for your apps. Ideally, this should be set up before your game is published.

We recently added a section to the Operate dashboard which gives you the full file, ready to be added to your site. More info about that is here:
    https://unityads.unity3d.com/help/resources/app-ads-txt-support

7. Xnite

Xnite

Is it just me or are the implementation instructions on the help page out of date?: https://unityads.unity3d.com/help/resources/app-ads-txt-support
    1. Click Monetize from the unity Dashboard.
    2. From the Monetize menu, select Settings, then scroll to the app-ads.txt section.
    Following steps 1 and 2 do not lead to an app-ads.txt section. I can't find it anywhere?

Update: Okay I found it. Here are the new instructions for the new dashboard.

1. Pop out the sidebar (hamburger icon) on the unity Dashboard.
    2. From the Monetization section, select Monetize > Organization > Settings

Honestly I had no idea that sidebar existed. Seems this is a little hidden in the new dashboard.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
  8. akshaykumarpujar

akshaykumarpujar

I have uploaded my app-ads.txt file. but still, it's saying "We could not find your app-ads.txt at the given App-Ads URL. Please review your “Developer Website”. If you haven’t already please create your app-ads.txt file." I don't what's happening.

Brother_77, uitel2 and krisventure like this.
  9. krisventure

krisventure

Same for us, we've had our app-ads.txt file uploaded there for weeks and until now Unity Ads detected it fine, the status said it was okay. But today suddenly they're showing:

Other ad providers like AdMob and Facebook have no problem finding it, we just checked the status.

Either Unity's crawler is down or it's just a strange co-incidence.

10. krisventure

krisventure

Why would the App-Ads URL in dashboard suddenly say "Not configured" when we just checked on App Store and the link is still the same and the app-ads.txt is still in the same place at the root and AdMob just crawled it and said it was fine? Is it perhaps because we've changed the content and unity.com is now lower in the list due to other partners, is it supposed to be in the first line for Unity Ads to accept it? Or just some temporary technical issue ...

Brother_77 likes this.
  11. Starbox

Starbox

My god, this file is very hard to find in the Dashboard. It's not appearing in Monetization's Project Settings. This documentation is out of date, it lists Settings instead of Project Settings.

12. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

We did have an issue with the Developer Website field recently, but it should be resolved now.

Thanks for letting us know. We should be able to get this documentation updated soon.

13. domonyiv

domonyiv

@ap-unity It is still not working, can you confirm it is fixed?

Developer website field: https://www.moonshadesgame.com
    App-Ads URL from the dashboard: https://www.moonshadesgame.com/app-ads.txt

And I get the following message: "We could not find your app-ads.txt at the given App-Ads URL. Review your Developer Website field in the Organization Info section above. If you haven’t already please create your app-ads.txt file."

14. Unity_Quinn

Unity_Quinn

Unity Technologies

Hi @domonyiv , thank you for reporting! I flagged this with our engineering team earlier this morning. It looks like our web crawler is receiving a
    403: forbidden
    response from your endpoint. Our web crawler only works when we receive a 200 response. We'll continue to investigate on our end and I'll follow up when I have some more information for you. In the meantime, do you know if your site requires any special HTTP request headers?

15. domonyiv

domonyiv

@Unity_Quinn As far as I know there are no special header requirements. If you check the url here: https://httpstatus.io/ the status code is 200

16. domonyiv

domonyiv

17. levius

levius

Not work for me too.
    Added 3 weeks ago.
    App-Ads URL: https://afterlifegame.com/app-ads.txt

I get the following message: "We could not find your app-ads.txt at the given App-Ads URL. Review your Developer Website field in the Organization Info section above. If you haven’t already please create your app-ads.txt file."

18. Unity_Quinn

Unity_Quinn

Unity Technologies

Hi everyone, sorry for the delay here. Just heard back from the engineering team, it sounds like they have now identified the problem in both of your cases. They are deploying a PR to fix this issue. When I hear that this issue has been fixed, I will follow up here.

Thanks again for reporting! I hope you have great day!

19. Unity_Quinn

Unity_Quinn

Unity Technologies

@domonyiv @levius Thank you both for your patience! I just heard back from the engineering team that this PR has been merged. I've just tested and was able to add both of your URLs to the dashboard properly. Please let me know if you encounter any issues.

20. domonyiv

domonyiv

Thank you, I checked it and it is working. "Your app-ads.txt file is up-to-date. No action needed at this time."

21. levius

levius

Big thanks. But for some reason, after the app-ads.txt started working. My Filrate dropped by 2 times (from 99% to 50%). With funny DAU. I thought mediation was only needed when you had at least 10,000 DAU. And here it turns out you need to immediately embed it (( Does Unity have so few ads now that it can't cover 10 DAU? We're just having a soft launch. What happens then when the game needs to be scaled up (to 10,000 DAU)?

I think there is a mistake here. After all, it is not beneficial for you yourself that we connect mediation, the same Google. After all, everyone knows that Google does take ads for itself. By the way, check it. I heard that Google does it in the following way:
    For example in mediations have some networks:
    • Google admob
    • Unity Ads
    • Applovin
    • etc

Google polls the networks to find out their rate and gives them a certain amount of time to respond. Officially says that it gives 0.33 ms (I don't know exactly how much). But in fact, it starts a timer, and then when it comes almost to the end (for example 0.30ms) it makes a request. Naturally, your networks do not have time to send a bid. And it turns out automatically that Google's rate becomes the highest. Because other networks simply do not have time to send a response. Maybe it's just rumors. But you would check that too if possible.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2021
  22. domonyiv

domonyiv

@Unity_Quinn I have the same problem again. "We could not find your app-ads.txt at the given App-Ads URL."

23. Unity_Quinn

Unity_Quinn

Unity Technologies

Hi @domonyiv , sorry for the delay here!

It looks like your URL was timing out according to our logs. We timeout after 2 seconds; so, on occasion, your endpoint must be taking a while to respond. Unfortunately, this might be an intermittent issue for you. Fortunately, it looks like, at least when I last checked, you have all the required entries.

24. domonyiv

domonyiv

Thanks, I will make sure the server responds under 2 seconds.

Unity_Quinn likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.