Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Unity ads 4.0, rewarded ads

Discussion in 'Unity Ads & User Acquisition' started by gbb, Feb 15, 2022.

1. gbb

gbb

I am trying to implement rewarded ads in version 4.0 following the guide here: https://docs.unity.com/ads/ImplementingRewardedAdsUnity.html
    Advertisement.Initialize( ) call succeeds, logcat confirms it.

Then gets tricky for some reason. Calling Advertisement.Load( ) always call OnUnityAdsFailedToLoad( ) callback with logcat showing:
    UnityAds: com.unity3d.services.core.api.Sdk.logError() (line:73) :: Load invocation failed: No placement configured for id: Rewarded_Android

What I find really really confusing is what the first parameter of Advertisement.Load( ) should be. It is declared as
    public static void Load(string placementId, IUnityAdsLoadListener loadListener);

so it probably should be something called "placement id". However the documentation itself calls
    Advertisement.Load(_adUnitId, this);

so it is referring to it as "ad unit id". Following the documentation I used the AD Unit ID found here:
    upload_2022-2-15_11-21-19.png

However logcat keeps telling me there is no placement configured for id "Rewarded_Android".

The most frustrating part is that I don't see anything named "placement" in the dashboard. I see waterfalls, lines etc., but nothing like placement. Even worse, trying to google around for solution, everything I find says I should just click on the "placements" tab and add a placement. There is no such tab - I have something called waterfalls instead.
    upload_2022-2-15_11-26-50.png

I'd really appreciate any clues of what is going on here.

2. PeachyPixels

PeachyPixels

Hello!

I've just stumbled across pretty much the same issue. I added some placements to my game many months ago and finally got around to working on the monetisation side of things recently.

I've updated to Unity Ads 4.0.0 and on opening the new dashboard, the placements aren't visible. What is visible is a whole load of default ad units (for iOS & Android) that I did not create and can't seem to delete. I'm assuming placements are now ad units, but if so why aren't mine visible? They are clearly still setup as showing them works, where-as showing an ad unit id that isn't results in an error.

I've not opted into mediation yet, this is just vanilla Unity Ads.

Please could someone from Unity throw some light on this?

The Unity online helps specifically states...

From the Monetization dashboard, select Placements in the secondary navigation menu to Placement Management page.

Use the Placement Management page to set eCPM targets by app store, country, and Ad Unit. To set a new Placement, locate the Ad Unit you want it to adhere to, then click Add Placement.

For me, neither option is available in the monetisation dashboard.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2022
  3. PeachyPixels

PeachyPixels

Hi @gbb,

If you're seeing Waterfalls, could you have enabled Mediation mode by mistake? They're only available in the new Mediation process. If so, you can switch back to Unity Ads if need be.

I'm definitely using Unity Ads, but still not seeing any option for Placements.

4. gbb

gbb

I don't think so, but it is entirely possible I guess. Where can I see whether it is enabled, I looked around for a bit, not too thoroughly but still, and can't see anything that'd indicate it.

I believe the placements are used in the pre-4.0 versions, and now they are replaced by waterfalls. I even remember seeing something like this in one of the many documentations that contradicts each other to certain extent, but now I can't find it again. The Learn More link in the dashboard is pretty useless, it says things like:

"After creating your Ad Unit, you can click + Advanced Settings to configure the ad format settings (see section on editing an Ad Unit, below), or Placements Management to create Placements and set up eCPM targets."

like such option exists at all. Or even if it exists it is well hidden from my eyes.

5. SamOYUnity3D

SamOYUnity3D

Unity Technologies

If you set the mediation partner as Unity Mediation or Unity Exclusive, then you should use Unit IDs.

upload_2022-2-16_10-39-0.png

If you set the mediation partner as Third Party Mediation, then you should use Placement IDs.

upload_2022-2-16_10-38-1.png

You can change the mediation partner on the monetization settings page.

6. PeachyPixels

PeachyPixels

Thanks @SamOYUnity3D

I'm using plain old vanilla Unity Ads (4.0.0) and Unity Ads (No Mediation) is selected as the Mediation Partner.

The Unity Ads API works with Placements (not Ad Units) yet they're not appearing in the dashboard.

To see\edit Placements you're saying I have to set the Mediation Partner to Third Party? Which is wrong according to the description under the setting...

I use a third party mediation platform, such as IronSouce and AdMob, to serve ads to my projects from multiple ad sources.

Trying to use Unity Ads (4.0.0) with Unity Ads (No Mediation) selected and passing an Ad Unit results in the following error...

Placement iOS_Rewarded does not exist for gameId: NNNNN

So it clearly is expecting a Placement (and can't see the Ad Units) yet Placements aren't showing in the dashboard.

Going by your info and what the dashboard is saying...

If we wish to use Unity Ads with Placements (as they've always been) we must ignore the Unity Ads (No Mediation) option and select Third Party mediation followed by (the Self Mediated or Other options?)

Something really doesn't add up here...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2022
  7. gbb

gbb

Alright, that did it!

In the Advanced Settings, Mediation Partner was set to "Unity Mediation Beta". After changing it to "I'm not using Mediation, only Unity Ads" it started working without doing anything else - no code changed, no dashboard changes. The Waterfall section is gone.

Why the beta option wasn't working is beyond me. Also I am fairly certain I wasn't the one choosing it, probably it is the default one? If that's the case I am really surprised no one else complained about this.

Anyway, it is working now. Thanks for the pointer!

8. PeachyPixels

PeachyPixels

Thanks for the update @gbb

But do you see Placements?

The only way I can see them is if I select Third Party Mediation and Other or Self Mediated as the Mediator.

Even then, the Placements option now shows the original Placements coupled to the new default Ad Units (with who knows what logic!). If I switch back to I'm not using Mediation, only Unity Ads the Placements option disappears.

So something is not right here. It's either a dashboard bug, incorrect documentation or incredibly counterintuitive.

9. SamOYUnity3D

SamOYUnity3D

Unity Technologies

Hi, sorry for the confusion caused. An Ad Unit represents the ad format settings of a collection of Placements.

We rollout Ad Units consolidate ad format information into a single object for Unity Ads exclusively projects, which allows for easier Placement management. For those projects that use Unity Ads in a third-party mediation stack, they still need to use placement IDs. That's the reason for the difference.

This doc can explain more about the Ad Unit and Placement ID: https://docs.unity.com/monetization-dashboard/AdUnits.html

10. gbb

gbb

Hey @PeachyPixels,

I am not seeing placements either, no. I may be wrong here, but I believe that if you do not care about mediation, you should just select "I'm not using Mediation, only Unity Ads" option, and change your Load()/Show() call parameters to use the AdUnitIDs instead of the PlacementIDs you were using before.

SamOYUnity3D likes this.
  11. alrazylabs

alrazylabs

This is exactly my situation. I don't have mediation. dashboard gives my unit ids only.
    but when I give the unit-ids to load() it gives an error with ( give me placement id ) !!

12. SamOYUnity3D

SamOYUnity3D

Unity Technologies

The log does not distinguish between the Placement ID and the Unit ID, and they are both called "Placement ID" in the log. You can check whether there is this Unit ID under the corresponding Game ID.