Search Unity

Unity Ads 2.0 causing black screen on lower-end iOS devices

Discussion in 'Unity Ads & User Acquisition' started by tng2903, Jul 21, 2016.

1. tng2903

tng2903

Hello,

We are trying to integrate Unity Ads 2.0 (beta 5) into our game. The implementation went fine, ads are displayed, but the problem came when ads finished. On some device (iPod touch gen 5), after ads always a black screen, we tried to wait for some time but there is no progress, can only be close by pressing Home button. If we tried to tap furiously onto the black screen, sometime it will display a blue "Privacy Policy" text and tapping on it will lead to a website... The ads finished fine on iPad 2, the same ads ( the same content, we watched and compared ) is fine on iPad but failed on iPod. I've searched for awhile and found out that there was some problem like this occurred in the past (because meta-content is mismatched), don't know if this is the case or not though.

Here are my test project. Unity Ads 2.0 beta 5, on Unity 5.3.5f1 and xCode 7.

One small problem, why Unity Ads 2.0 required to include WatchConnectivity.framework?

Here is my test project http://www99.zippyshare.com/v/HU7wjYSt/file.html
    Sorry for including a link, since this high-quality forum decided that 3.7MB > 4MB and will not let me attach the file to it.

2. brandonz

brandonz

Unity Technologies

Thanks so much, tng2903, for the report!

We're looking into this issue now - it looks like it is limited to the iPod touch gen 5.

I'll reply here when it's fixed in the beta release.

Again - thank you! The detail and sample project really helped us track this down.

3. IndieFist

IndieFist

Anyone using Unity Ads 2 on Windows Phone?

4. brandonz

brandonz

Unity Technologies

Hey, tng2903, the issue on those ARMv7 devices has been addressed in Unity Ads 2.0 Release Candidate 1. Please contact me directly if you need anything further.

tng2903 likes this.
  5. brandonz

brandonz

Unity Technologies

Unity Ads is not available for Windows Phone.

6. rasmus-unity

rasmus-unity

and @MrPacoGP, please don't post off-topic questions on existing forum threads, but create new ones instead.

Thanks,
    Rasmus

7. tng2903

tng2903

Thank you for your support. Actually, we had to reverted to Unity Ads 1.x (from service windows) to successfully built and run on iPod. Also, after contacting the sale department from Unity Ads, they suggest me to use the 1.x version too, since those version can also support brand ads, not only 2.0 as stated. But nonetheless, it's good to know that the issue has been fixed

8. rasmus-unity

rasmus-unity

Anyways if possible, it's still recommended to update to SDK 2.0, as it contains fixes for e.g. connectivity related issues, and going forward we'll not be implementing new features to SDK 1.x.

And a note from development team here to make it clear: Unity Ads SDK 1.5 does currently NOT support brand ads. It's correct that we're investigating this, but at this time brand ads is only supported in SDK 2.0

Regarding iPod, this is related to iOS version support?

Thanks,
    Rasmus

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
  9. SevenKong

SevenKong

No, it is not releated
    i also use the sdk of version 2.0 rc,but it also black screen after ad finish

10. rasmus-unity

rasmus-unity

11. IvoIvanoff

IvoIvanoff

@rasmus-unity Last version of SDK 2.0.2 (from August 29) still black screened after finish. The case is when the app is restricted only in screen orientation portrait. The ads shows in small rectangle and after user close the banner (which is in full screen) next is black screen. After that (when app is in black screen), on Android debug shows that every method call from app is not in main thread and the app stay in this state until restart.

12. rasmus-unity

rasmus-unity

@IvoIvanoff, thanks. Can you provide us with device log from that device. You are welcome to send it in a private message.

And we will certainly investigate the "every method call from app is not in main thread" issue you mention here.

/Rasmus

13. Feamber

Feamber

This problem seems to be related to the not enough memory, This problem is appear on my iphone5, each time there is receive a memory warning.
    unity ads 1.58, 2.0, 2.02 are all the same problem.

14. rasmus-unity

rasmus-unity

Thanks @Feamber, can you provide device log. And do you see it on other models, or just iPhone 5?

/Rasmus

15. Feamber

Feamber

You use the 512M mobile phone is very easy appear, If the video is playing and IOS memory receive memory warning at the same time.
    - (void)didReceiveMemoryWarning
    {
    [super didReceiveMemoryWarning];

if ([self isViewLoaded] && ([[self view] window] == nil)) {
    self.view = nil;

[self tearDownGL];

if ([EAGLContext currentContext] == self.context) {
    [EAGLContext setCurrentContext:nil];
    }
    self.context = nil;
    }

// Dispose of any resources that can be recreated.
    }