Search Unity

Unity Addressables - do all editor instances / projects need a local copy?

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by ina, Oct 20, 2020.

1. ina

ina

I'm able to get Unity addressables to load in editor 1 ("project 1"), where it is both generating the .json/hash/bin and loading the prefab asset into scene. This is then placed on AWS (and the link has been tested to download in browser https://bucket.amazonaws.com/[BuildTarget] - replace bucket with bucketname of course).

However, in editor 2 ("project 2"), after setting up the remote_load to be the link above, the prefab does not load.

Maybe I am misunderstanding how this works - does "project 2" also need a local copy of the prefab, or can that itself load from the server?

2. LucasHehir

LucasHehir

As long as project 2 is configured to find the same remote catalog file at the same URL, it should be safe to my understanding. It should only need a local copy of the prefab if you're using the "Use Asset Database" option or Addressables is configured to find the prefab locally.

ina likes this.
  3. ina

ina

So it doesn't seem to work even selecting something other than Use Asset Database. Is there a basic test project that has addressables set up to work where all the assets are centralized to one project, and other projects are "sourcing" assets from that project - like described?

I notice all of the github examples do not seem to use a url remote source?

4. LucasHehir

LucasHehir

There very well could be, but not that I've come across. I've also never personally used this approach myself so I can't even verify that it works, but a lot of posts and documentation seem to claim that it can work that way... I can only believe.

I've had more luck with remote asset access on builds than I have in the editor, so I've largely left those other Play script options alone altogether.

Addressables.LoadContentCatalogAsync might be of particular use here, you can just pass in a remote catalog URL path directly that way. As long as that URL points to a location featuring a catalog file .json and .hash, it's ready to go apparently.

5. ina

ina

actually a big issue is that other people who have tried the remote process cannot seem to get it work either

6. LucasHehir

LucasHehir

Oh damn :( Okay, it might be more of a fringe feature than I first thought. I was under the impression this was possible and was even keen to try it myself sometime soon... thanks for researching it!