Search Unity

Unity Add-ins for MonoDevelop/Xamarin Studio 5.9+

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by lukaszunity, Jun 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Singtaa

Singtaa

Is there any way to have the debugger working with the UnityTestTools? Right now when I run the unit tests inside of the unity editor, it won't trip any breakpoint in Xamarin (it's already attached to the Unity Editor).

2. Novack

Novack

@lukaszunity any words regarding this official MonoDevelop plugin(s) you're working on? Will these receive active maintenance and support after release?

3. lukaszunity

lukaszunity

Administrator

It sounds like the UnityEngine.dll assembly reference path in the project is wrong. You can check by either opening the .csproj or looking in the "References" in the Solution pad. This can happen if you move your Unity folder after generating the project.

Ox_ likes this.
  4. lukaszunity

lukaszunity

Administrator

Thanks for reporting this. I've added this to my list of issues to look into.

5. lukaszunity

lukaszunity

Administrator

Yes, the MonoDevelop and add-ins we ship with Unity will receive active maintenance and support after being released.

Novack likes this.
  6. Eths

Eths

Thank you so much ^_^

7. FFSteve

FFSteve

Hi,

I've also been having the issue where the UnityEngine (and other Unity references) using statements are not being resolved. Despite the fact that the reference directories are correct. This only started happening once I moved and/or reinstalled Xamarin Studio to a MonoDevelop/* directory.

Also, opening the project with the old MonoDevelop doesn't have the same issue.

8. lukaszunity

lukaszunity

Administrator

This sounds a bit odd and like a bug in Xamarin Studio. I will add it to the list of issues.

One thing you could try is to delete the folder where Xamarin Studio caches some settings and see if that helps, I sometimes experience issues that seem to be fixed by deleting this folder. I only recommend trying this if you do not have a lot of custom settings in Xamarin Studio, as you might lose those. Reinstalling the Unity Add-ins might be required after deleting the folder.

Folder location. Remeber to close Xamarin Studio before deleting the folder.
    • OSX: <username>/Library/Caches/XamarinStudio-5.
    • Windows: <username>\AppData\Local\XamarinStudio-5.0\Cache

9. FFSteve

FFSteve

That worked perfect. Thanks!

Something I noticed is that the project seems to reopen any time I double click an error or on a script in the project as opposed to updating the current instance of Xamarin. Is there a way around this?

10. lukaszunity

lukaszunity

Administrator

From FAQ:

A new Xamarin Studio instance is started when clicking a script in Unity on Windows
    You can workaround this issue by starting a Xamarin Studio instance manually the first time, then all scripts that are clicked in Unity will open in this instance. This will be fixed in an upcoming release of Xamarin Studio.

You can also set "External Script Editor Args" to "$(File);$(Line)" (quotes included) to have Xamarin Studio open the script file at the correct line when clicking build warnings and errors.

11. FFSteve

FFSteve

My apologies, I completely glazed over that.

Thanks!

Edit: I just gave this a try but it still opens in another instance of Xamarin despite me opening the first instance manually.

12. lukaszunity

lukaszunity

Administrator

Are you on Windows and are you sure that the Xamarin Studio you manually started is the same as the one you have setup in your external script editor preferences?

13. xsmile

xsmile

I can confirm this. Opening a script by clicking on an error message always creates a new Xamarin instance. It doesn't matter, if I start an instance manually in the beginning.

Thanks for the plugin.

14. lukaszunity

lukaszunity

Administrator

I just tested it myself on Windows and I think that I might have been unclear on how to start Xamarin Studio.

It is necessary to start Xamarin Studio without opening any files, e.g. from a program shortcut and not by clicking a solution/script.

This is the cause of the bug in Xamarin Studio, if you open Xamarin Studio with a file (which Unity always does), then it keeps opening new instances. But if you launch it once using a program shortcut, then all scripts thereafter should open in this instance.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
    lermy3d likes this.
  15. FFSteve

FFSteve

Hi Lukas,

Thanks for replying! I've just tried uninstalling Xamarin Studio completely and re-installing. Setting up the path in Unity and the application shortcuts to ensure that they are pointing to the same exe. I opened Xamarin with the application shortcut and then tried double clicking a script in Unity but it still opens in a new instance of Xamarin instead of using the current one. I am using Windows 7 Professional 64 bit.

Thanks for all the help.

lermy3d likes this.
  16. lukaszunity

lukaszunity

Administrator

Sounds like there is another issue, I am unable to reproduce this on Windows 8.1 64-bit. I will investigate further and see if I am able to find the root cause.

lermy3d likes this.
  17. FFSteve

FFSteve

Hi Lukas,

I don't know if this will help but I've just started a new project in Unity 5.1.1f1 and opening scripts does use the opened instance as opposed to opening new instances. However, on my old project in Unity 4.6.6f2, the scripts always open in new instances of Xamarin.

18. FFSteve

FFSteve

Unfortunately, while one problem is solved, none of my intellisense works for Unity libraries again in Unity 5 -_-

19. lukaszunity

lukaszunity

Administrator

Thanks for the reporting these issues, I will have a look into them.

20. Ox_

Ox_

It turned out that Xamarin sees UnityEngine but has incorrect references to System.* DLLs. I pointed to Unity Mono manually in Preferences -> .NET Runtime (/Applications/Unity/Unity.app/Contents/Frameworks/Mono) and set it as a default one.

Now Xamarin can see it in references but still highlights "errors" and there's no auto-complete for anything from Mono/UnityEngine. (I tried multiple projects and all of them have this issue.)

By the way Xamarin also can't see namespaces of DOTween DLLs from the project.

Xamarin-Issues.png

21. lukaszunity

lukaszunity

Administrator

This sounds very odd and like a bug in Xamarin Studio, I've added it to my list of issues to look into.

Have you tried the deleting the folders I mentioned above?

22. xX4m4zingXx

xX4m4zingXx

When I have Xamarin studio opened like this:

and I go to unity and click on a script, then the script gets opened in a new Xamarin studio window. Is there a way to fix this?

23. TimK_personal

TimK_personal

I really appreciate that you guys are doing this. MD 5.9 is a pretty substantial improvement.

That being said, my experience is that stability is not great thus far. I wonder whether you have any insight into how we can provide you with useful information relating to crashes and hangs. For example, I'm finding if I do anything with exception catchpoints, it's likely to hang MonoDevelop. How can I get diagnostic information to pass along to help improve this (short of building and running MD myself inside XCode, which a little outside my purview at the moment)?

24. lukaszunity

lukaszunity

Administrator

See this post and the posts following. This a bug in Xamarin Studio that needs to be fixed.[/URL]

25. lukaszunity

lukaszunity

Administrator

The best way to report such bugs is through the Unity bug reporter with a reproduction steps and a Unity project. Post the case number in this thread, then I will be able to find it and assign to myself as something that needs to be fixed.

26. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

Lukas,
    I moved Xamarin-studio to the MonoDevelop folder (it's case sensitive on mac), deleted the cache folder then let xamarin rebuild, finally re-installed the plugins and here are bugs remaining:
    711106, 711105, 711102, 711096
    7111096 is this:

27. lukaszunity

lukaszunity

Administrator

Thanks for the bug reports, I will have a look into these issues.

28. lukaszunity

lukaszunity

Administrator

The fix for automatically generation and open the solution when setting Xamarin Studio as the external script editor and clicking on a script has been fixed in 5.1.1p4 and will also be included in the upcoming 4.6.7p2 release.

https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/patch-releases

Side-note: I'm on vacation the next 2 weeks and will be back on the July 27th, which means I will not be responding to posts in this thread for the next 2 weeks.

29. voldemarz

voldemarz

This is also an issue with Dictionary<T, Transform> where T is struct and Transform is regular Unity class. Most likely value can be any type and issue caused by use of struct as key.

30. lukaszunity

lukaszunity

Administrator

Thanks for reporting this.

31. PropositionOne

PropositionOne

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you.

You have no idea how much I have despised the fact that Monodevelop 4.01 loses track of all code folding every time you save.

32. seaders

seaders

Hey lukaszunity, HUGE thanks for this, only dipped our toes in here, and it's already a massive improvement.

I have, however just submitted a bug we're experiencing. Basically the compilation settings for C# obviously differ in the Unity Editor compared to in Xamarin. I'm not saying it's in any way good code, but if you run,

Code (CSharp):
    2.     void Start ()
    3.     {
    4.         Action a = () => Debug.Log("Nothing to see here");
    6.         ThisTakesACallback(a);
    8.         Action b;
    10.         b = () => {
    11.             Debug.Log(b.Method.Name);
    12.         };
    14.         b.Invoke();
    15.     }
    17.     void ThisTakesACallback(Action a)
    18.     {
    19.         ThisTakesAForwardedCallback(a ?? ThisIsWrongButItCompiles);
    20.     }
    22.     void ThisTakesAForwardedCallback(Action a)
    23.     {
    24.         Debug.Log("callback: " + a.Method.Name);
    25.         a.Invoke();
    26.     }
    28.     void ThisIsWrongButItCompiles(bool wrong=false)
    29.     {
    30.         Debug.Log("wrong: " + wrong);
    31.     }

It compiles, and runs perfectly fine in Unity Editor, but fails on "Debug.Log(b.Method.Name);" and "ThisTakesAForwardedCallback(a ?? ThisIsWrongButItCompiles);" on Xamarin.

I wouldn't mind the stricter settings being brought in to Unity Editor and make what's broken broken in both places, so long as there's consistency between the two.

Thanks again for your help, the bug # is 716524.

33. seaders

seaders

On another thing, while you're working on this, is there any chance you can fix the long standing bug of the defines in
    Code (csharp):
    1. smcs.rsp
    not being passed through to MD (now Xamarin)?

It's a similar enough situation as my previous comment that it causes some issues when the Unity IDE doesn't have the exact same environment as the coding IDE MD/Xamarin.

34. lukaszunity

lukaszunity

Administrator

seaders: I will have a look at the difference when building in XS and Unity and passing the smcs.rsp file to the build system in Xamarin Studio.

On the Unity Roadmap we have "MonoDevelop and Unity REST Integration" planned for Unity 5.4, which includes always compiling your Unity project in MonoDevelop using the Unity build pipeline. Which means that the build results in MonoDevelop and Unity will always be the same.

seaders likes this.
  35. voldemarz

voldemarz

I'm getting same issue for
    • lists of interfaces - List<InterfaceType>
    • struct fields and properties of type List<ClassType>

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  36. Arx

Arx

This issue still happens to me on Win7 x64, Unity 5.1.2f1 - new instances of Xamarin get opened. It does not matter whether I open "clean" Xamarin first.

Edit: just updated to Unity 5.1.2p2, the problem persists. I have Xamarin Studio 5.9.4, with addins installed (though that didn't change anything in this matter). The new instance that gets opened does not even open the script I clicked on in Editor; I use these args: "$(File);$(Line)"

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
    lermy3d likes this.
  37. sanpats

sanpats

Using XS 5.9.4.5 with Unity 5.2.0b5 when select Assets/Open C# Project (a replacement of Sync MonoDevelop Project in 5.2) will open both XS and MD. Clicking on the C# script will correctly open only XS.

Bug # 718055

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
  38. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
  39. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

@lukaszunity, additional bugs in 467p2: 718247, 718248
    NOTE: this happens with and without asset>synch monodevelop project

probably explains why js dependencies are broken:

40. lukaszunity

lukaszunity

Administrator

Thanks for the report.

41. lukaszunity

lukaszunity

Administrator

Turns out there are like 3 different bugs in Xamarin Studio that cause this to happen. I've fixed the bugs locally and I am working on getting them into the official Xamarn Studio releases.

Currently in Xamarin Studio 5.9.4 there is no workaround for getting the scripts to open in the same instance on Windows from Unity.

lermy3d likes this.
  42. lukaszunity

lukaszunity

Administrator

Thanks, I've added to the first post that you should also install the packages listed on the MonoDevelop download site.

I'm surprised you can even run Xamarin Studio without having the Mono framework installed, as it gives you an error on OSX if you do not have it installed. Maybe you had an older version?

You can the check the versions you have installed on OSX by typing this in terminal:

ls -l /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/

43. lukaszunity

lukaszunity

Administrator

Please check in the Xamarin Studio that you have the Boo and UnityScript language bindings add-ins installed and enabled. You do this from Add-in Manager, under Language Bindings. You will get this error dialog if you do have them installed or disabled.

These add-ins are included in the Unity Add-ins zip file.

44. lukaszunity

lukaszunity

Administrator

Thanks fro the bug report, this was a regression that has been fixed and should land in one upcoming Unity 5.2 betas.

45. joolsa

joolsa

Hi -

I really appreciate Unity doing this, however I'm having some issues getting this working. I'm on a Mac, OSX 10.10.4, Unity 5.1.2p1, Xamarin Studio 5.9.4b5 and Mono Mono 4.0.2 ((detached/c99aa0c) (latest). The first issue seemed to be that Unity wasn't in it's default location, as I have multiple versions in stalled as per: http://docs.unity3d.com/460/Documentation/Manual/InstallingMultipleVersionsofUnity.html

Which gave me the logs:

System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path "/Applications/Unity/Unity.app/Contents/PlaybackEngines/iOSSupport/Data/iosdevices.csv".
    at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean anonymous, FileOptions options) [0x001c6] in /private/tmp/source-mono-mac-4.0.0-branch-c5sr2/bockbuild-mono-4.0.0-branch/profiles/mono-mac-xamarin/build-root/mono-4.0.2/mcs/class/corlib/System.IO/FileStream.cs:233
    at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, System.String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost) [0x00000] in /private/tmp/source-mono-mac-4.0.0-branch-c5sr2/bockbuild-mono-4.0.0-branch/profiles/mono-mac-xamarin/build-root/mono-4.0.2/mcs/class/corlib/System.IO/FileStream.cs:152
    at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.IO.FileStream:.ctor (string,System.IO.FileMode,System.IO.FileAccess,System.IO.FileShare,int,System.IO.FileOptions,string,bool,bool,bool)
    at System.IO.StreamReader..ctor (System.String path, System.Text.Encoding encoding, Boolean detectEncodingFromByteOrderMarks, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean checkHost) [0x00065] in /private/tmp/source-mono-mac-4.0.0-branch-c5sr2/bockbuild-mono-4.0.0-branch/profiles/mono-mac-xamarin/build-root/mono-4.0.2/external/referencesource/mscorlib/system/io/streamreader.cs:255
    at System.IO.StreamReader..ctor (System.String path, System.Text.Encoding encoding, Boolean detectEncodingFromByteOrderMarks, Int32 bufferSize) [0x00000] in /private/tmp/source-mono-mac-4.0.0-branch-c5sr2/bockbuild-mono-4.0.0-branch/profiles/mono-mac-xamarin/build-root/mono-4.0.2/external/referencesource/mscorlib/system/io/streamreader.cs:236
    at System.IO.StreamReader..ctor (System.String path, Boolean detectEncodingFromByteOrderMarks) [0x00000] in /private/tmp/source-mono-mac-4.0.0-branch-c5sr2/bockbuild-mono-4.0.0-branch/profiles/mono-mac-xamarin/build-root/mono-4.0.2/external/referencesource/mscorlib/system/io/streamreader.cs:207
    at System.IO.StreamReader..ctor (System.String path) [0x00000] in /private/tmp/source-mono-mac-4.0.0-branch-c5sr2/bockbuild-mono-4.0.0-branch/profiles/mono-mac-xamarin/build-root/mono-4.0.2/external/referencesource/mscorlib/system/io/streamreader.cs:184
    at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.IO.StreamReader:.ctor (string)
    at System.IO.File.OpenText (System.String path) [0x00000] in /private/tmp/source-mono-mac-4.0.0-branch-c5sr2/bockbuild-mono-4.0.0-branch/profiles/mono-mac-xamarin/build-root/mono-4.0.2/mcs/class/corlib/System.IO/File.cs:346
    at System.IO.File.ReadAllLines (System.String path) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at MonoDevelop.Debugger.Soft.Unity.iOSDevices.LoadDescriptions (System.String path) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at MonoDevelop.Debugger.Soft.Unity.iOSDevices.SetupDescriptions (System.String path) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    ERROR [2015-08-07 12:14:44Z]: Error while initializing usbmuxd
    System.Exception: dlopen: dlopen(/Applications/Unity/Unity.app/Contents/PlaybackEngines/iOSSupport/UnityEditor.iOS.Extensions.Native.dylib, 2): image not found
    at MonoDevelop.Debugger.Soft.Unity.PosixDllLoader.LoadLibrary (System.String fileName) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at MonoDevelop.Debugger.Soft.Unity.Usbmuxd.LoadDll (System.String nativeDll) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at MonoDevelop.Debugger.Soft.Unity.Usbmuxd.Setup (System.String dllPath) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at MonoDevelop.Debugger.Soft.Unity.iOSDevices.SetupDll (System.String path) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    ERROR [2015-08-07 12:15:50Z]: Could not connect to the debugger.

I've moved Unity back to it's default location, however it still won't connect. The dialog box says "Could not connect to the debugger." and the log:

INFO [2015-08-07 12:19:19Z]: Prebuilt Apps updated.
    WARNING [2015-08-07 12:20:39Z]: /Users/jools/Desktop/Documents/Code/MadAtom/P1/p1-git/P1Unity/P1Unity.sln (30) : Project with guid = '{E4120637-D31B-8369-1419-E5C0C2A032D4}' not found or not loaded. Ignoring
    WARNING [2015-08-07 12:20:39Z]: /Users/jools/Desktop/Documents/Code/MadAtom/P1/p1-git/P1Unity/P1Unity.sln (34) : Project with guid = '{7AD98B19-7A60-4A6C-AAC1-0A2C9CA039CE}' not found or not loaded. Ignoring
    INFO [2015-08-07 12:20:39Z]: Add-in loaded: MonoDevelop.HexEditor
    INFO [2015-08-07 12:20:41Z]: Add-in loaded: MonoDevelop.VersionControl.Subversion
    INFO [2015-08-07 12:20:41Z]: Add-in loaded: MonoDevelop.VersionControl.Subversion.Unix
    Loaded: /Applications/Unity/Unity.app/Contents/PlaybackEngines/iOSSupport/UnityEditor.iOS.Extensions.Native.dylib
    [usbmuxd] Start listen thread
    [usbmuxd] Listen thread started
    [usbmuxd] Send listen message
    INFO [2015-08-07 12:20:49Z]: ExternalToolService: No user templates, reading default templates.
    ERROR [2015-08-07 12:20:59Z]: Could not connect to the debugger.
    INFO [2015-08-07 12:23:15Z]: Xamarin.iOS not installed. Can't find mtouch.
    ERROR [2015-08-07 12:29:12Z]: Could not connect to the debugger.

I've tried attaching to the editor both with the game running and with the game not running.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Jools

46. lukaszunity

lukaszunity

Administrator

In Xamarin Studio Preferences under "Unity ➔ Debugger" you can set the Editor location, so you can have Unity installed in any location. We are working on making this clearer so you get an message box instead of just an exception in the log file.

How are you connecting to the debugger? By using iOS Player (USB) or "Attach to Process" from the target list?

Did you remember to enable "Development build" and "Script Debugging" when you built the iOS player?

Does does connecting to the debugger work for you in MD 4.0.1?

47. joolsa

joolsa

Ok, this now works for me. Great, thanks! Setting the path in the preferences helps. I've not done debugging (i.e it hasn't worked for me) in ages. I hadn't got 'Editor Attaching' set in preferences. That could do with a better name - I found out by reading the docs on Editor debugger :)

I pretty much use Xamarin, not the shipped MonoDevelop all the time. I reckon if you aren't going to keep building the plugins for Xamarin I might end up building them myself. Which of the plugins do you actually need for debugging - is it just the Soft Debugger Support?

48. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

Yes! It works.

49. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

When Xamarin isn't open and I double click on a console error, xamarin opens the project but doesn't open the errored script or, if the script was last open when xamarin closed, the line where the error is at.

50. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

suddenly, xamarin stopped opening script.
    getting this error when I double click on a script inside the inspector and as you can see the external tool points to xamarin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.