Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity acquires Bolt

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AskCarol, Apr 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AskCarol

AskCarol

*** The information in this post is out of date as new announcements regarding the price of Bolt have been made: https://forum.unity.com/threads/bolt-price-change-announcement.931530/ ***

Unity is excited to announce that we have acquired the Bolt visual scripting plugin from publisher Ludiq. Bolt provides a production-ready visual scripting solution for the current Unity architecture. Unity saw this as an opportunity to acquire the highly popular plugin to help artists and their teams improve workflows.

Unity will work with Ludiq to transition development of Bolt and Bolt 2 to our internal development teams, and Unity will continue to build and maintain these technologies with no current plans to change availability, pricing or in-progress development. We will regularly share updates about Bolt and Bolt 2 development with the Bolt community.

Unity will honor the commitment made by Ludiq to offer Bolt 2 at no additional cost to current Bolt users, as well as those who purchase Bolt on the Asset Store before 11:59:59 pm PST on May 31, 2020.. Unity will also continue to develop its own internal visual scripting solution, which is based on the new Data-Oriented Technology Stack (DOTS) architecture. This means that users can continue to have a visual scripting solution for current projects with Bolt, as well as a DOTS-based visual scripting solution when they are ready to migrate to a DOTS-based project.

Our development teams are looking forward to supporting Bolt users, and we will provide updates once we have more to share.

Bug tracking:

From this point on, if you would like to report a bug please follow these steps.

Bolt 2 Beta testing:

Users interested in beta-testing Bolt 2 can get in touch with the development team on the beta forum.

*** THIS FAQ IS OUT OF DATE ***
    Updated FAQ: https://forum.unity.com/threads/bolt-price-change-announcement.931530/

FAQ

• What is Bolt and how does it work?
    Bolt is a visual scripting plugin for Unity developed and sold by Ludiq on the Unity Asset Store. It enables Unity users to create logic for games or applications without writing code. While Bolt lets non-programmers create node-based graphs to define desired behaviors, programmers can interact with Bolt through its API to get and set variables, trigger custom events, and create nodes that can be used by other team members.

• Why did Unity acquire Bolt?
    Bolt provides a production-ready visual scripting solution for the current Unity architecture. Unity saw this as an opportunity to acquire the highly popular visual scripting plugin to help artists and their teams improve workflows. Bolt will continue to be available via the Asset Store.

• Will this acquisition change Unity’s own visual scripting tool development?
    Unity has been working on its own visual scripting solution for some time. Our solution is built on the new Data-Oriented Technology Stack (DOTS) architecture, while Bolt and Bolt 2 are both designed for the classic, non-DOTS versions of Unity. This helps ensure that there will be visual scripting solutions available for users with DOTS and non-DOTS projects.

• Did Unity acquire Bolt’s publisher, Ludiq?
    No, Unity has only acquired the Bolt plugin.

• What will happen to Bolt 2 now that Unity owns it? How will it compare to Bolt?
    Unity will be working closely with Ludiq to provide support for Bolt and to transition development of Bolt 2 (currently in Alpha) to Unity development teams. We will share more information about Bolt and Bolt 2 development plans and timelines in the coming months. Users interested in beta-testing Bolt 2 can get in touch with the development team on the beta forum.

• How will Unity support Bolt users?
    Ludiq will transition Bolt’s community support forum (support.ludiq.io) to Unity. This includes bug tracking, user questions, and feedback. Additionally, larger studios that have Integrated Success Services (ISS) support will now be able to get Bolt support via the Unity Technical Support portal, just like any other Unity feature. To report a Bolt issue, please follow these steps.

• How will Unity users get access to Bolt?
    New Bolt users can purchase Bolt on the Unity Asset Store. Users who previously acquired Bolt from the Asset Store will get access to Bolt under the Unity Technology Asset Store publisher for free. Users who previously acquired Bolt from Ludiq website will receive a coupon to redeem Bolt under the Unity Technology Asset Store publisher for free. We will provide Unity Student plan users with a coupon for complimentary access to Bolt.

• Will Bolt’s availability or pricing change?
    We have no plans at this time to change Bolt’s availability or pricing.

• Ludiq pledged to make Bolt 2 free for users of Bolt. Will Unity honor this pledge?
    Yes. Bolt 2 will be free for current Bolt users as well as those who purchase Bolt on the Asset Store before 11:59:59 pm PST on May 31, 2020. Bolt users will receive an individual license for Bolt 2 when it becomes available.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2020
    bennnix, chuongdp161, Mauri and 5 others like this.
  2. Metron

Metron

Sooo... today has been released a new package with version number 1.4.12... the version 1.4.11 has been deprecated.

Currently, I don't see that I have access to V1.4.12... will this be made accessible to "old" users?

LaurentGibert likes this.
  3. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I don't understand this move of still selling Bolt. Does it mean Unity is moving to selling regular assets of it's own from now on to perhaps sell parts of the engine/editor on Asset Store?

I think it's just I failed to read clearly enough what the intention is.

4. LaurentGibert

LaurentGibert

Administrator

Hi @Metron, we're working on clarifying how to get access to this version, stay tuned.

5. LaurentGibert

LaurentGibert

Administrator

Hi @hippocoder, our intention in the very short term is to offer continuous support with the minimum of changes to focus on knowledge transfer and onboarding for our developers. So we kept everything as it was, including distribution and pricing, but we will be updating our plans to better explain how we intend to manage Bolt 1 and Bolt 2 moving forward, and also in relation to our existing plans with Visual Scripting for DOTS.

Thanks.

6. SReplyR

SReplyR

No you haven´t failed. And it´s not the first part of technology which they sell aside with a package or a parallel licensing system.

7. StefanoCecere

StefanoCecere

i would have preferred that Unity released Bolt free or promoted an open source Nodes solution (like xNode) so that we could use and enhance it in tons of opensource and educational projects, or even our commercial games without paying a license for each developer
    like with TMpro or Cinemachine or ProBuilder that soon became the core unit of many projects

Last edited: May 4, 2020
  8. valarnur

valarnur

Please make Bolt free for everyone to use it.

9. Freznosis

Freznosis

Why are some users able to download Bolt for free and other users still have to pay full price? What's the meaning behind this? Why are you saying the price won't change, yet some are able to get it for free now?

10. sarum

sarum

what a strange move to acquire bolt and not release it for free ... doesn't it defeat the purpose of creating a bridge between developpers and artists ?

over ther past years, one of the biggest issue i had when communicating with coders, was the lack of an official shared VS solution .. instead of showing a working project with all the logic behind it, i had to try to explain it instead .. and it pretty much never ended well.
    if you keep Bolt as a paid asset, then it's back to square one .. because let's face it, 95% of the developpers are just not interested to buy a VS solution, probably out of pride :p

Also, there is many assets i would have liked to release to the store, but since they were always VS dependant, i never did .. and i know of many other artists who are in the same situation.

please, do reconsider .. we really need an official monobehaviour VS solution that every Unity users can have an easy access to .. i think you would be quite surprised at what would come out of it :)

Lars-Steenhoff and leni8ec like this.
  11. LaurentGibert

LaurentGibert

Administrator

Hi @Freznosis, existing customers of Bolt can get the new versions distributed by Unity for free as they already paid for it. Additionally, Ludiq did promise in the past that owners of Bolt 1 would get Bolt 2 for free and Unity intend to keep this promise. Finally we are looking at giving students access to Bolt for free through the Student plan, more details to come on this soon.

At the moment, the only way to get access to Bolt 1 for a new user who didn't have previously acquired Bolt 1 is to buy it on the Asset Store at the same price as it was before. We are discussing our plans for the future and will communicate to you all as soon as we have an update.

antoripa likes this.
  12. LaurentGibert

LaurentGibert

Administrator

Hi @sarum, no decision has been taken yet, this is why we kept pricing and distribution exactly the same as it was, to provide continuous support while give ourselves enough time to come up with a clear Visual Scripting plan for all of Unity users.

There is no doubt that visual scripting has a lot of value to all of you, so stay tuned, more information to come in the future about our intentions.

13. Pszczolkowski

Pszczolkowski

were are sample projects for bolt like 3D/2D platformer ??

14. a_user_that_codes

a_user_that_codes

So basically as of right now, we will need to buy it as a regular asset and in the future, there could be potential changes to how this will be accessible to everyone alongside the Unity's DOTS migration?

15. Freznosis

Freznosis

Hello, I'm aware that Unity plans to continue selling Bolt, however there are at least 2 people in my Discord group that downloaded Bolt for free only an hour ago. They weren't students, they didn't own Bolt before, and didn't meet any of the prerequisites you've listed.

This is what they see.

16. AllanSamurai

AllanSamurai

Hi, I think they are talking about these "future plans" because they want to avoid a massive refund for purchases made in this most recent promotion.
    I bought Bolt on April 29 in the half price sale. and now they have been purchased by the Unity and can become free.
    Great news. but sadly i just lost $ 35.
    That amount in my country is equivalent to 20% of a common salary. So I had to wait for a promotion.
    but anyway ...
    Success! Don't kill the bolt!

TextusGames and LaurentGibert like this.
  17. LaurentGibert

LaurentGibert

Administrator

This is surprising, and not expected. I am trying to figure this out with the team, people with a previous entitlement should experience what you shared, if not they should see the regular price. Maybe they had a previous entitlement to it through a Bundle and they didn't know about it? We'll continue to investigate. Thanks for letting me know!

18. LaurentGibert

LaurentGibert

Administrator

Hi @Pszczolkowski, we're working on more learning content for Visual Scripting, keep an eye out for news on this front.

19. LaurentGibert

LaurentGibert

Administrator

You nailed it!

a_user_that_codes likes this.
  20. Stardog

Stardog

I have a Bolt license from their website. How do I redeem it in the asset store? The key doesn't work as a voucher.

21. LaurentGibert

LaurentGibert

Administrator

Hi @Stardog, customers who bought Bolt from Ludiq website will receive more instructions soon on how to proceed. Keep an eye on your inbox!

Stardog likes this.
  22. Havok_ZA

Havok_ZA

Good for Unity and Ludiq - Bolt 2 especially seems to going to be a really good match for Unity!
    I am worried about...well me ...though. The customer I guess :)
    Why did Unity not do this earlier....why now?
    Why will Unity invest in both Bolt and DOTS Visual based scripting?
    When everythign phases to DOTS ---will Bolt get dropped I wonder? Just basically phased out slowly and not supported?

When I read about this first I was thinking...oh WOW we are getting Bolt 2 as Unity's built in Visual Scripting solution!!! But now .......this is weird to me....

I dont mean to sound skeptical - just try and understand it from the other side. It looks like an odd move becasue we perhaps don't have the insight into this.

Either way...it's a good fit right now! :)

ironjohn8 and LaurentGibert like this.
  23. VDecker

VDecker

Thank you.

24. LaurentGibert

LaurentGibert

Administrator

Hey thanks again for the question @Metron, we have updated the FAQ to make it more explicit:
    So starting with version 1.4.12, you'll get access with the new Asset Store page published by Unity Technologies.

VDecker and Metron like this.
  25. Metron

Metron

Thanks. Works like a charm.

26. Rhyusaky

Rhyusaky

I hope this will become something interesting in the future. Even being a programmer, it is sometimes interesting to be able to make solutions that run without compilation time (this can be very interesting in the modding part too).

27. ramtamir

ramtamir

Well, if you plan on releasing this for free, I would appreciate you thinking about ways of compensating people who bought this asset, thereby supporting its development.

28. moo-cow-news

moo-cow-news

Why is it trying to make me pay for bolt again when i already have bolt. I don't want to pay again for Bolt

29. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

So if I understand correctly, there is no advantage at all for Unity users.

Bolt (just the plugin) has changed hands, and now support and development responsibilities fall on Unity from now on.

So what you're telling us is: Bolt's development will halt almost completely and it will also have worse support now.

Cool.

I hope at least the Bolt developers got a good paycheck.

profuzzy, JohRJ and LaurentGibert like this.
  30. Mauri

Mauri

As per OP:
    "Users who previously acquired Bolt from the Asset Store will get access to Bolt under the Unity Technology Asset Store publisher for free. Users who previously acquired Bolt from Ludiq website will receive a coupon to redeem Bolt under the Unity Technology Asset Store publisher for free."

See this page: https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/visual-scripting/bolt-163802

------------------

Ludiq's blog post: https://ludiq.io/blog/unity-acquires-bolt

31. StefanHQWork

StefanHQWork

Products change, things are added, prices are lowered and increased.
    Only thing that normally makes sense is to compensate back a fixed amount of time, say 1-3 month. Longer back that this on you already levered value of your investment before it came free.

32. StefanHQWork

StefanHQWork

That is how YOU see it.

I see this.

- Bolt 2 will be released that share common ideas with DOTS VS until then Bolt 1 has Unity support.
    - Bolt 2 maybe go Final at the end of this year. DOTS maybe before next summer. Both system will be free then
    - Bolt 1 dev will be halt and phased over to Bolt 2 over 1 year
    - Bolt 2 will be maintained then 2-3 years depending on how fast projects move over to DOTS.
    - Bolt 2 and DOTS dev will find as much similarities and synergies as possible.
    - In about 3 years most project will be on DOTS and the DOTS VS is a great system taking value from BOLT 2 concepts

For me its a plan that makes total sense. especially considering the delays in DOTS. Now there will be a period of 2 years of learnings Unity will get. Also users will benefit from getting into VS concepts and better be prepared for DOTS VS

33. corjn

corjn

-After the transitioning and learning period for the Unity Bolt team, I think the development of bolt 2 will actually go faster. Ludiq was a very small team and Bolt was not their only plugin or project.

-Unity buying Bolt also means Bolt will probably become a new standard for Visual Scripting, just like blueprint. Don't forget that Unity is a leader in the game engine industry, meaning they are trend setting the market. I love Bolt and I'm very happy that it will probably influence every game engine in the future.

If you like using Bolt, Unity buying it is a very good news for you.

I don't see Unity completely going for DOTS only. DOTS is not relevant for every project. + it's a complicated language, and making it the default one would be a mistake, as it would dissuade beginners to choose Unity.
    I see more of an harmonious cohabitation, a bit like Shader Graph and VFX graph right now : they are both for graphics, but not the same kind of graphics. And they can work together.

Also would like to add, as a Bolt buyer, that I really would love to see Bolt becoming free. Again, the more you make it the standard and default solution for VS in Unity, the more i'm happy.

Last edited: May 5, 2020
  34. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Nah, for limited scope size, small teams always develop faster than humongous messes of a company like Unity. Name one thing in Unity that has developed fast. I can name a ton that have been extremely slow.
    Does Unreal sell blueprint?
    No, it's terrible news. I am reminded of the discussions when Autodesk bought XSI, and a lot of people were sad and angry and then a lot of other people were saying "No, this is actually good, Autodesk has a lot of resources and XSI will finally become prime time software now".

And here you're all acting as if what Bolt needed to become better, is to be developed by a different team, not the team that made it good, but a team who is not familiar with the codebase and whose livelihoods don't really depend on the success of this software.

Yes. That is what Bolt needed. You are right. Now it will finally reach its full potential.

Okyo likes this.
  35. LaurentGibert

LaurentGibert

Administrator

Hi @yeggamer123, did you acquire Bolt from Ludiq website? If so, you will receive soon some instructions to redeem the asset.

36. LaurentGibert

LaurentGibert

Administrator

You are right that for now, nothing really changes for users, we make sure existing and new users of Bolt get continuous support.

Now moving forward two things are important to consider. Firstly, we have a larger firepower to accelerate Bolt 2 readiness, and the team is at work to do exactly this. Secondly, projecting ourselves in the future, we have now the opportunity to provide a more unified visual scripting workflow for both DOTS and gameobjects based projects.

AcidArrow and valarnur like this.
  37. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Why not think it a bit more through before announcing this?

In my opinion you should stop selling the current one and make it for free for everyone.

Its the only way it will ever get traction.

Blueprint for unreal is also free and that is why many people use it.

because then you know everyone has it installed and it makes it easy to share visual scripts.

pm007 and LaurentGibert like this.
  38. corjn

corjn

I said it in my post "I really would love to see Bolt becoming free". I agree on that.
    It could go wrong, I agree on that too. I was very sad of what Adobe made with Mixamo Fuse. They simply killed it. Why ? Probably because it was not that relevant in the Adobe family, after all.

On the contrary, Visual Scripting for monobehaviour in Unity is very relevant.

I rarely am disapointed with Unity. They are slow on many things, yes. SRP was a big mess. But Cinemachine or ProBuilder, packages developped by smaller teams inside Unity, are really really good.

"And here you're all acting as if what Bolt needed to become better, is to be developed by a different team, not the team that made it good"

I never said that. Hasan, who worked at Ludiq, is now part of the Unity Bolt team. And Lazlo is going to work with them for several months to help transitionning. Of course, it would have been better for Bolt to be still mainly developped by it's creator. But I also think Lazlo is done with Bolt and wants to move on to other projects. Like Freya Freya Holmer did with shader forge. And I'm very happy for him.
    Bolt 2 is basically done, it just needs debugging. Bolt 2 when it comes out will be equal to the vision Lazlo had for it.

"And whose livelihoods don't really depend on the success of this software."
    Yes, but in a way I think it does for Unity at a larger scale, I feel like getting a strong Visual Scripting quickly is a priority for them now.
    Their competitor UE4, is free, has blueprint, and is getting more and more attention because of Fortnite's success.
    Making Visual Scripting for everything is a top priority now at Unity. (Shader Graph, VFX Graph, Dots Graph)
    And again, I think it would be a huge mistake to make Bolt 2 a paid asset.

You have a pessimistic view on that, I don't, so wait and see.

39. Neto_Kokku

Neto_Kokku

The best thing about this news is that it signals Unity realized moving everyone into DOTS is a pipe dream and they need to keep development on Monobehaviour or risk alienating much of their user base.

40. jcarpay

jcarpay

41. jcarpay

jcarpay

Agreed, think before you act. Seems like a rushed decision.

pm007 likes this.
  42. LaurentGibert

LaurentGibert

Administrator

Thanks for the feedback. Please expect our Visual Scripting story to develop with more updates moving forward.

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  43. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Thanks, and to be clear I'm not saying this for myself because I already own bolt and could download it for free.

My main concern is sharing scripts and adoption rate, so people can make asset store scripts and know that the user can just use the native supported visual script.

For example in the past unity had substance support integrated and many assets used substance materials.

Then substance was pulled out of unity and put as an external download and many assets started removing substance support because they could not expect the user to have it installed.

44. MasterSubby

MasterSubby

^ This is my main concern as well.

I've been a user since day one. I focused heavily on helping the community build extensions. I figured when you guys bought it out, it was going free. It's not, at least publicly yet. That's a huge damper on making a decision of what to do with my work. I'm halfway through rebuilding my website, part of this was kept in mind, but if there is uncertainty of direction, I might as well just update namespaces and move on.

I really hope 1.4 could also be made available. You'd be helping more people then you will know, amongst opening up many avenues for extending. Yes they are two different beasts, but I'm not sure why this matters. As far as we were all aware, it's feature complete and done with.

PanthenEye and Jwolf like this.
  45. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Almost ten years ago I discovered Playmaker for unity before Unreal even had a thought of blueprints.

I had previously used Virtools ( until it was sold to Dassault ) and this tool allowed me to make my games when I was a student.

I have a long history of Visual scripting and playmaker still is installed in al my projects.
    And it never stopped working, I can even load scripts from ten years ago and they work fine!
    as you can see I was the first to give it a review on the asset store

Screenshot 2020-05-05 at 17.33.44.png

Seems like we have gone full circle in a way, the roadmap for 2019 had visual scripting for mono behaviours.
    and it looks like bold. then everything was remade for Dots. And I lost hope for an easy native solution because it seems hard to get a grip on.

Now I have new hope for a native solution but please get it right this time.

image.png

46. Marc-Saubion

Marc-Saubion

I'm very confused by Unity's strategy.

HDRP-LWRP cohabiting with the regular renderer is already an issue because I cannot work on one while following the other. This acquisition with Dots ads a new layer of features with a totally uncertain future.

As someone who occasional teaches Unity, This is not helping. I end up with people asking me for a course on unfinished tools or what to choose between two similar technologies you created a confusion about. Like, if I'm asked what people should invest on between Bold and Dots, what should I tell them?

While I don't mind throwing you under the bus, I'd rather avoid these confusions so everybody can invests their time without second thoughts.

Thanks

47. LaurentGibert

LaurentGibert

Administrator

Thanks for the thoughts. Today is a step in bringing more clarity on available workflows regardless of the DOTS or non DOTS projects considered. This should definitely reduce the number of critical choices developers need to make when adopting Unity. But to your point, we could not get it right if we don't get to align Bolt and DOTS Visual Scripting closer together. this is the next challenge for us, making that workflow easy and powerful to use, for any kind of projects, and not feel like 2 ways of doing things for no reason.

LordSwaggelore likes this.
  48. PanthenEye

PanthenEye

I'm confused about the decision to keep it payed. Are we seeing groundwork put in for paid packages? If that means the asset gets consistent development and support, I wouldn't mind too much. Including these paid packages in Unity Plus subscription would finally make the subscription worth the price because right now the value is artificial by keeping basic features like dark mode and splash screen editing behind paywall. Assets like Bolt would bring actual value to the subscription.

But then if it's behind the paywall it can't become a new standard. Asset store devs can't build upon it, because most people won't have it. And if it's behind a paywall, then competitors like Unreal Engine 4 provide more value for new users. Just look at all the comments all over internet, always mentioning Blueprints as the key feature that Unity doesn't have. There's also tons of Blueprints based Youtube content because it's accessible to new users both functionally and economically.

So there's likely more monetary gain in making Bolt 2 free. Just look at how many Blueprints based assets are being sold on the Unreal Marketplace. Bolt 2 could do that. Spawn an entire ecosystem with rich community and store asset support. But that can only happen if it's free. Few people will buy something that's based on a $70 asset. Or make Youtube videos about it. The pay gate limits the reach and would be a shortsighted decision.

That's where my thoughts currently are as a long time Bolt user.

Last edited: May 6, 2020
    Z_Kir, TextusGames, Havok_ZA and 6 others like this.
  49. IllTemperedTunas

IllTemperedTunas

I've always been curious how Unity actually makes a profit, or at least if they make one as large as they are entitled to for giving so many access to gamedev.

One has to wonder about the asset store. If Unity producing great in-engine tools for free invalidates their revenue streams from fantastic third party assets. They must be between a rock and a hard place. On one hand they are known as the asset that gives everyone great tools and useability out of the box, but they are also a company that needs to generate profit to innovate.

For example, I bought the Amplify Shader asset which is FANTASTIC. But now unity has their own built in shader editor. Now there are 2 fully capable teams working to keep parity with all the new render pipelines and shaders and particle systems. Ensuring both pipelines are up and running fights forward progress. Parity across multiple solutions is always dead weight. What a terrible waste of time developing 2 pipelines. This is an outlier of free market competition creating innovation. Unity holds the keys to the castle, their support is almost mandatory for any meaningful tool to be viable.

So what's the optimal solution?

It's best if all the best minds can come together on one singular solution, but perhaps there can be a paywall behind the DOTS implementation. If you are new to Unity, and new to code, this would be a fantastic opportunity to poke at visual scripting and learn to create games and when you're ready to step it up and want to harness improved performance for a competitive experience, you could contribute.

Will AAA studios benefit from visual scripting? Will they be excited for entry level tools? Not nearly as much, so what incentive does Unity have for creating free out of the box tools that will be used by the least profitable users?

We're so incredibly lucky as broke indie devs in the current market to have all of these free things to use to create games. What many of us forget, or do not realize, is that improvements and new functionality isn't born out of thin air. It takes the right talent, and the right talent costs $$$.

Time is money. Your project's success depends on if you are able to make your game good enough. If you have better tools, your odds of your time translating into revenue goes up. If you pay $$$ for visual scripting tools, and that in turn provides more support for those tools, your ability to compete with the big dogs becomes a tangible thing.

A little sick of all the freeloaders, it's a loser mentality to think your future doesn't warrant monetary investment at some level. Whatever Unity asks for will be a drop in the bucket compared to the value they provide. Lots of people screaming they can't afford to contribute to those who make their dreams possible that can't be bothered to give back a little while they throw money at frivolous nothings.

Anyway, just rambling. This is an interesting development. Was all the prior work done by Unity seen as sub part so they decided to pick up these external guys? Are they simply consolidating talent to make the best possible product? How much does this acquisition affect the game plan moving forward? Does this mark a period of concessions migrating to a secondary solution, or is this a move to expand on the potential of the visual scripting solution. Or is this simply a quick "we need a free alternative to our own system so lets just buy these guys up." Hopefully this acquisition means stronger tools in the end one way or another.

I'm really excited by the possibilities of visual scripting, there are a lot of smug gatekeeping coders who will always swear by the current skillset that serves them so very well in the job market. But in the future perhaps we can create a better system that isn't so prone to user input error, and isn't such a pain to pick up and figure out, and would clearly communicate higher end functionality for the user to explore when they are ready.

At the very least this will open up gamedev to those who don't have the resources at hand to make the jump to standard coding environments and in the coming years I am certain we will see gamedevs competing who never would have had a chance without these awesome tools.

Last edited: May 6, 2020
  50. Rowlan

Rowlan

I always thought Bolt would be for beginners, that's why I never gave it a try. Now that Unity acquired it and still sells it instead of giving it away for free to beginners (which are usually the ones hesitant in buying assets on the store), I'm wondering how Bolt can benefit developers on a professional level. I just tried a video from ludiq on youtube and when the guy explained what a Vector3 is, I stopped watching. Do you have better information? Thank you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.