Search Unity

Bug Unity Accelerator: Installation does not continue at "Installation is ready to begin"

Discussion in 'Unity Accelerator' started by jashan, Apr 19, 2021.

1. jashan

jashan

Hi there,

I'm currently trying to update Unity Accelerator to the most recent version. Unfortunately, at "Ready to Install" where it says "Installation is ready to begin", when I click "Next", nothing happens. No error, not any message, but it also doesn't start the installation.

The version I have installed (that I'm trying to update) is: Unity Accelerator v1.0.436+g25805e4

The issue I'm trying to solve is that target platform changes are incredibly slow (up to more than an hour) and consume ridiculous amounts of memory (55GB - on a machine that only has 32GB, so it basically makes it impossible to work on the machine while switching platforms).

Sunny regards,
    Jashan

2. gregoryh_unity

gregoryh_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi Jashan,

The Accelerator changed installer-tech since that version you had/have installed and now, so I'm guessing that it's something to do with that. The installer should log its efforts in a temp file, usually in whatever your OS considers your temp directory. e.g. /tmp or C:\Documents And Files\user\Local Settings\Temp and that might give a clue as to what is going wrong.

You might consider uninstalling the old version and then reinstalling the new version to see if there was some conflict there. The uninstall will leave all the cached data, its database, etc. intact (cachedb directory, etc.) so you shouldn't lose that. Though I guess it wouldn't be the end of the world if you also removed the cached items since it would get repopulated with the next build.

jashan likes this.
  3. jashan

jashan

Hi Gregory, yeah, uninstalling and re-installing fixed it for me.

4. bgrz

bgrz

I had the same issue, pressing Next didn't do anything.
    Then I uninstalled from "Add or remove programs" and it still didn't work.
    Then I saw that the two unity-accelerator.exe processes are still running, I killed them and deleted the executable files.
    Installation was then able to proceed to next screen but immediately failed at:
    Like, really?
    ----
    Edit:
    I found a way to delete a service, ran the installer again.
    It proceeded past the previous point and reported that installation had finished successfully, but then popped one more error for good measure: unity-accelerator-app_2021-09-03_13-58-19.png
    This is the worst installer experience in the world.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2021
  5. THE_OMNIPRESENT_SIMULATOR

THE_OMNIPRESENT_SIMULATOR

I would call it a laughably horrible excuse for an installer if I wasn't using it to install now. Is that webkit? It's such a sad excuse for an installer.

6. THE_OMNIPRESENT_SIMULATOR

About 5 minutes ago the "next" button wasn't doing ANYTHING...so deleted everything related to that in the roaming dir. Now it says it's installing.....................................................................but been waiting a long while already.

7. THE_OMNIPRESENT_SIMULATOR

That sort of hassle is likely a main reason there are so many FPS games. FURIOUS software engineers that simply wanted to make something nice, but then fought to simply get the tools installed properly.

8. cviot_acreos

cviot_acreos

Yeah, when you have a bug with Accelerator, so you try to bump it to the last version and then the installer is buggy and you have to spend a few hours to debug the installer itself. It tell a long way about technological choices. Unity choosing Electron apps for an installer to just install a glorified web server. Honestly, you have to question the professionalism and the technical quality of the people involved in such choices. Why Unity cannot choose its well known C++/C# expertise to build such a tool and have to relay on buggy technologies?

radiantboy likes this.
  9. cviot_acreos

cviot_acreos

For the record I had to delete everything open a Powershell admin prompt and writing
    sc.exe delete "Unity Accelerator" and reboot my computer so the installer could work again.
    Now time to reimport everything...

radiantboy and colin_unity808 like this.
  10. radiantboy

radiantboy

works! thanks dude.