Search Unity

Unity Absolute Beginner Questions

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Hephaestus1233, Mar 17, 2018.

?

3d game first?

1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Hephaestus1233

Hephaestus1233

I've been looking for a simple game engine to use because after using Unreal Engine, I believe I should walk away from that. So I've fallen to this game engine and, here are a few questions I have:

While I'm learning C# should I be making scripts in unity, or should I just make console applications as I have been with C++ before?

After "graduating" from being a beginner in this engine, should I move to learning Blender so that I can seamlessly make 3D models when I transfer over to 3D games?

2. Vryken

Vryken

I'm not sure if Unity can be considered a simple game engine anymore. It's grown & changed immensely over the years.

Unity has tons of tutorials & lessons over at https://unity3d.com/learn. People generally recommend to complete the "Roll a Ball" tutorial as it introduces a lot of the features you'd be using when working with the engine.
    Or if you just want to learn C# with Unity's API, you can go here: https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/s/scripting

Up to you, really. If you're willing to put in the time & effort, then go for it.

3. Bill_Martini

Bill_Martini

I think your assumption the Unity is easier to learn than Unreal is incorrect. Both provide a excellent opportunity to learn their engines. Both require a strong dedication, much discipline, and a lot of time to learn. Since we're here in a Unity forum I'm recommending you stick with Unity, but either is a good choice to make quality games. It's not what engine you use, it's what you do with them that matters.

4. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

Seamlessly.....

Forget that word. Nothing is seamless. Even if you git gud, you're always going to driving on bumpy roads because you have to keep learning new things to stay good. I think this has to be the number one mistake new people are making. We like to simplify things. Summarize things. Fit things into neat little steps so that our brains don't get cluttered. But to learn programming, or 3d art, you are going to be picking up years worth of clutter, and only after you've got several great big heaps of clutter will you start to understand how to begin packing away things into neat categories.

Make sense?

Making 3d models and working in a game engine are related, but they are separate disciplines. If you are most interested in making 3d models, forget game engines for now and start researching that. Otherwise, focus on making scripts to build games with cubes and cylinders.

It's a long journey. Remember, a watched pot never boils.

TheBooBear likes this.