Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Unity 6 and beyond: A roadmap of Unity Engine and services | GDC 2024

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by LeonhardP, Mar 21, 2024.

1. iScriptz

iScriptz

I had absolutely zero performance issues once everything was successfully built out to my iOS devices. ALL of the issues were all in editor issues.

Performance in editor was always effected by:
    1) Graph Serialization/DeSerialization konking out completely. Unreproducible.
    2) Sheer volume of custom scripts/assets/imported nodes was bogging down the Service worker.
    3) Having custom objects in blackboard was a big no no.
    IE: "Machine" type
    "ID": Integer
    "SectionID": Integer
    add 5-6 more variables of fully supported types.
    if you want to be extra add in some nesting.

Import that into UVS, create a variable blackboard, and add 10 of these "Machine" objects/type to it.

What's more is the sheer volume of custom scripts and assets is needed for a production level project. You can't just say "oh the profiler shows me X/Y/Z works great without the Update node".

Until you attempt to build a game or a larger project you won't understand.

2. CoraBlue

CoraBlue

Helpful defaults for the Input System are going to be a really nice QoL feature. I mean, it's a little sad that's one of the better things in this presentation to me, but I'm glad it's happening. I'm not enthused about AI at all with the exception of animations, strictly because I haven't seen anyone do it better. That also means I'm skeptical it actually works, especially in light of its far-off date.

I'll be real. Every time Unity comes out and announces anything it feels like it's not for me. Version and asset management? Team tools? Ray tracing? Like I get these things need to happen if Unity is going to be used by big studios, but I ain't that. Networking improvements are great, even if I personally don't use them. I just want something I would use.

Cinemachine. Probuilder. TextMeshPro. Legendary aquisitions. Input System. URP. Things that make it suck to leave Unity's ecosystem.

I'd kill for 2DLights (shadows) to get finished. Or for Unity's UI to get unified. Maybe you could let me drag the sides of a PolygonCollider2D in the editor. Maybe we could get NavAgent improvements that make platformers easier to make. Maybe depth could get fixed in the 2D renderer and stuff like DoF could work out of the box. Maybe you could make animating SpriteSwap a little less obtuse or just support whole spritesheet swapping. Improvements to TileBase so that custom tile types actually display a sprite in the project browser? The ability to set a tile class in the editor without debug mode? Any news on your efforts to improve 2D character controllers like Rigidbody.Slide?

I'll rant forever if I keep going. Seriously, where is 2D? Where are the things that make being a solo dev fun?

3. PanthenEye

PanthenEye

ECS/DOTS also don't support their 2D tooling. Seems like Unity are content with what they have now since solo indies don't bring in any money for Unity and existing tooling is more than good enough for minimalistic hypercasual slop on mobile, which is their bread and butter.

soargon and AcidArrow like this.
  4. ahmetyontemli

ahmetyontemli

thank you dude

5. raincole

raincole

They don't care 2D and indies in generally. Unity is fully commited to be Unreal wannabe.

But they won't be Unreal. Epic knows how to develop games themselves, and they have integration with top-tier world generation tool (Houdini), AND they are also the biggest sponsor of Blender foundation. Epic just knows content creation process too well. It's something not existing in Unity's DNA. Unity's response was this $30/mo AI stuff.

Currently Unity is the most popular engine among indies/2D/mobiles and they think they had the devs locked in. My prediction is in the following years they'll capturing zero AAA/sub-AAA devs from Unreal, while keeping losing small devs (hopefully to Godot and other open source engines).

Last edited: Apr 22, 2024
    XiangAloha likes this.
  6. impheris

impheris

Indie is not just 2d games

i don't think so... if that was the case, they would have made better decisions in the past (i'm talking about the editor)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2024
  7. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Unity is still not committed to anything, that is the issue.

Some features are clearly chasing after Unreal, others are ads focused, the services are pushed the whole time, we get articles saying they are focusing on mobile (by doing... what?) but their output as a whole is completely unfocused and lacking.

XiangAloha and Lurking-Ninja like this.
  8. jsinisi001

jsinisi001

Such a disappointing road map... they're focusing so much on multiplayer when there are already so many good third-party solutions out there for Unity. Mirror, Fishnet, Photon Fusion, Photon Quantum, etc, all are top notch. Meanwhile features like virtual geometry and a lumen equivalent aren't even included in the roadmap. Unreal just released PCG graph and it makes it so fast to make massive worlds and prototype level variations along with Lumen and Nanite it's crazy. I love Unity so much and it's what I grew up using but it feels like it's just falling further and further behind. Really hope they can change that but this roadmap isn't making me feel like they're even really aware of the issue.

9. DrViJ

DrViJ

The most frustrating thing for me is that Unity often just closes bugs without fixing them. With version 6, I've encountered issues where bugs that seem high-priority (at least in my company) are being closed. I really love Unity and have been working with this engine for many years, but when your bug report is simply closed, not even backlogged, it kills the motivation to prepare scenes and write detailed bug reports. I would actually love to work at Unity, perhaps in a Quality of Life role to try and make improvements, but unfortunately, I once applied and wasn't hired. After that, there were many layoffs and no more suitable vacancies appeared.

I see that they are trying, but it seems like they are mired in a massive technical debt that they are managing in a very peculiar way.

retired_unity_saga likes this.
  10. retired_unity_saga

retired_unity_saga

PLEASE!

Make the engine source available to the public, already.

1. You are migrating to a royalty based structure, JUST LIKE UNREAL, which has source code available.

2. You have tons of bugs, all the time, that tons of users will take a crack at with various forked versions of this editor.

3. Bundled commercial libs can be packaged with licenses, bound to a single repo, under the same terms under your license terms.

4. Partial exposure to libs can extend out functionality of the editor and its packages with enough work, imagine having a open source com.unity.community.navigation, or something.

5. please?

Ghat-Smith and DrViJ like this.
  11. Alex16212

Alex16212

Didn't see any plans about C# 9+ (.Net Core or just .NET) support in managed plugins.

upload_2024-5-24_13-7-6.png

https://docs.unity3d.com/6000.0/Documentation/Manual/dotnetProfileSupport.html
    upload_2024-5-24_13-14-5.png

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/csharp/language-reference/language-versioning#defaults
    upload_2024-5-24_13-8-58.png

So, inside Unity scripts the newer version of C# is allowed, than inside managed plugins.

https://docs.unity3d.com/6000.0/Documentation/Manual/CSharpCompiler.html
    upload_2024-5-24_13-9-42.png

Is this for a purpose, to restrict the using of side libraries in Unity (code all things only inside our environment!), or what? :) C# 8- is becoming more and more a pain in the ass ("you can't do this, you can't do that..."). C# 8 was released 5 years ago, in September 2019 - it is just a medieval history in the IT world. :) C# 13 is coming!

Last edited: May 24, 2024 at 12:26 PM
  12. r618

r618

no, Unity is not using 'official' Microsoft .NET runtime / BCL;
    features you mention are not always identically available in Mono's .NET implementation which it is using

13. Alex16212

Alex16212

What is the difference between .NET implementations for Unity and for managed plugins for Unity? Is it on Mono dependent? I mean, what takes them from adding the same C# version support for side DLLs, as for their inner C# scripts?

It seams like, to add such a support, side DLLs should be also compiled with their Mono implementation, or so? But if they are compiled with .NET Core - no compatibility is guaranteed, even if the same compiler (Roslyn) is used, right?

14. r618

r618

'managed plugins' and your compiled scripts (and editor scripts) are all assemblies consumed by the same runtime and currently they're not using .NET Core, but Mono as previously mentioned
    adding anything (including newer C# support) takes effort

15. r618

r618

one more additional confusion point is that your IDE isn't commonly using Unity .NET tooling when managing the solution/scripting

16. Alex16212

Alex16212

If so, why can't they add support for .NET 5 at least, even if it would be not full-featured? They added this for their inner Unity scripts already (C# 9, but not full-featured). Without this, I am restricted with only .NET Standard 2.1 and C# 8 for side DLLs, in which the core code for the games is frequently located.

upload_2024-5-24_15-37-29.png

Sorry, haven't understood, what do you mean exactly.

upload_2024-5-24_15-46-22.png

17. r618

r618

just that you should be using Visual Studio Editor package (you have it enabled already so please you are free to ignore the comment)
    upload_2024-5-24_15-56-26.png

in which case VS will use Unity provided Mono <strike>platform</strike> BCL (for almost all functionality.)

Last edited: May 24, 2024 at 3:10 PM
  18. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

I once read that C# version doesn't actually matter if you build a DLL and it targets the required framework since the IL code it compiles to would be the same (backward compatible).

I think I did a quick test writing a C# 10 DLL (or maybe I was just watching a video ...) and calling its test method from the editor worked. Of course it may still fail in a build, specifically with IL2CPP.

19. maxhapeyenka

maxhapeyenka

If they don't rush releases of features and prolong the development it's actually good guys.
    There is enough features to make great games.

Stability is what has been lacking and by prolonging the dev cycles stability will definitely improve.