Search Unity

Unity 5's new 'audio system' and lack of playlists.

Discussion in 'Unity 5 Pre-order Beta' started by MarcusTheMainMan, Feb 26, 2015.

1. MarcusTheMainMan

MarcusTheMainMan

I was wondering if unity 5 would have playlists in the audio system. I don't see them anywhere. If not, then why can't the programmers just look at assets in the store like master audio to see what people are already using. It seems like unity 5 is a joke. the shader system looks neat, but who cares about waiting 2 years for lighting. there are so many basic things people want and use that you'd think they would concentrate their efforts on simple things to do like audio music playlists. Geez.

2. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I'm surprised they're not there.

Still... I'd rather they spent their time on engine-level stuff I can't do for myself (in Unity) than on things we can easily do ourselves.

3. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

A Moon Shaped Bool Unity Technologies

What do you mean by 'playlists' in the audio system? Can you give an example or use-case?

In what way? :)

Creating an object - do you mean on runtime, via script, or in-editor when GameObject -> Create -> Something? I need more info on what your issue is.

And i would disagree that lighting isn't important in a 3D/2D game engine. ;)

Deon-Cadme likes this.
  4. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

This button has always been there. Simply reset the transform. (ie Click on the cog next to the transform. Click reset). Its not hard.

I am disappointed that the make an MMO button didn't get added. That would have been more useful.

Rebuilding things already on the asset store? Not so useful.

Gekigengar, shkar-noori and Samuel411 like this.
  5. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

When I create objects I usually don't want them at 0,0,0. The vast majority of my work isn't near there. However, my editor camera is almost always looking generally at what I'm doing, so putting things in front of the camera kind of makes sense as a default.

6. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Its the button that creates an entire MMO from scratch. The ultimate answer to the question "Why doesn't Unity do everything for me". Its the ultimate goal of the engine. One day Unity, CryEngine and Unreal Engine will reach a massive convergence in the MMO button. And game developers will cease to exist.

7. Jaimi

Jaimi

Yeah, I agree, why create objects at 0,0,0? I want a ray cast from the center of the screen, and have it placed where it hits something. Unless I am dragging an object in, then I want a ray from the mouse. Which is what it does! :)

angrypenguin likes this.
  8. Ryiah

Ryiah

Yes, because mobile games are the only platform...

Samuel411 likes this.
  9. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

The point about the "make MMO button" and "decelopers ceasing to exist" has nothing to do with the state of the market. It has everything to do with the fact that if tools did literally everything for you out of the box there wouldn't be anything left to develop.

The "make MMO button" is just a logical extreme a line of reasoning. The same thing generally applies to the idea of tools doing the work, as opposed to the tools enabling us to do things for ourselves.

Unity doesn't make games. Unity allows me to make games. (More specifically, it allows me to make them more quickly than if I made them from the ground up.) The guys behind Unity could have coded the specific game I wanted and handed me (and everyone else) the source, but then I wouldn't want it because it would be of no value to me.

Similarly, rather than making a generic set of tools I can extend, they could have made tools specific to my use cases, or yours, or someone else's... but then that would lower its value for other cases as a general purpose tool.

And as for general purpose features that just aren't done yet, well, if everything could be made instantly that comes right back to not needing developers any more. ;)

Samuel411 and Ryiah like this.
  10. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

That's exactly the opposite of what anyone should want them to concentrate their efforts on. A music playlist is something you would implement yourself, since the specifics can be somewhat project-dependent. It would be silly to bloat the engine with stuff like this, which you admit is simple, and because it's simple, you shouldn't have any problem making it. What we want them to spend time on are things that are difficult/impossible for end-users to get working, and are as generic/abstract as possible so they don't restrict what we can do. Geez.

--Eric

11. Samuel411

Samuel411

How is mechanim too complicated? Its actually easier than legacy. It's made for artist to test out animations without a programmer getting involved.
    If you want a playlist system, then make it yourself. I doubt anyone wants the people at Unity spending their time on useless things like a playlist system or a button that makes a game object at the center of the game (it already exists, just right click your transform component and press reset) when they can be working on things like lighting or networking which is not useless. If it were useless then they wouldn't be paid to be doing that and would be paid to add a playlist system. Maybe lighting is use less for you but for the majority of developers it is a must.

12. superpig

superpig

Quis aedificabit ipsos aedificatores? Unity Technologies

IIRC the new object is placed at the Scene View 'pivot', which is the point that the scene view is set to orbit around / zoom from. This means that when you create an object it usually gets placed in the view, instead of dumping it at the origin which might be a long way away from where you're working. You can reset the object to be at the origin by right-clicking the Transform component in the Inspector and choosing 'Reset.'

It sounds like you're talking about what some systems call 'audio events' or 'audio cues,' yes? If so, that's something the audio team is interested in supporting in a future release. But there's only so much that can be done in Unity 5.0 and they had to draw the line somewhere.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  13. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

Whilst that could be to be integrated, that is fairly simple to code. Our devs tend to focus on integrating the needed things first (Such as the entire Audio Mixer System in Unity 5.0) before integrating things that are kind of trivial and already do-able. You can't build a roof of a house without the walls first! You are more than welcome to add it as a suggestion on our Feedback page: http://feedback.unity3d.com/

Ah, so you haven't actually used the new Audio Mixer yet? Please feel free to try it first and then get back to us with feedback on how to improve it. Im sure our devs would be quite interested in your first-hand experiences with our out-of-the-box new Audio System and those available on the Asset Store. :D

Ok, you have gone through quite a few workflow improvements in one paragraph. Have you sent any of these suggestions to us? Or logged them anywhere? Unfortunately, we aren't mind-readers. :D

I don't know about it. Bugreport link? Video recording of it happening?

14. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

15. Ryiah

Ryiah

Plus if you can't code it yourself, there's always a third party asset. I think Master Audio supports playlists.

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/5607

16. Jaimi

Jaimi

If you right click on the game object, and select to create a new object under it, it creates it as a child object and places at 0,0,0. But I agree - if you drag something from your project into the hierarch, and dump it onto an existing object, it becomes a child and *sometimes* places it at 0,0,0 - and sometimes doesn't. This is annoying! :)

17. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

what the hell is mechanimin????? if you're talking about Mecanim, it's a great tool if you just use it enough to get used to it.

18. Jaimi

Jaimi

Yeah, just follow the tutorial, you'll be an expert in an hour. Mecanim really simplifies character control and animation. I love it!

shkar-noori likes this.
  19. Carpe-Denius

Carpe-Denius

If you drag an object into the hierarchy instead of the window, it will appear where you put your prefab. If your prefab is at 0,0,0, your object will be at 0,0,0. I don't think there are many reasons to *not* have your prefabs at Vector3.zero

20. jashan

jashan

Thank God. What should Unity give you playlists for? Personally, I don't need them, and I'd say almost no one really does (in a game engine) - and if anyone does, they're trivial to implement. What is quite interesting is advanced looping / seamless audio stitching ... but guess what: there's examples for that in the docs. It's not totally trivial but you basically just need to understand the code examples in the docs and you're all set. Implementing that in Unity is much easier than preparing the audio files for that to properly work.

Audio in Unity 5 totally rocks. But yeah, let's have iTunes in Unity pretty please. And while you're at it, don't forget to backport that awesome feature all the way back to Unity 2.0 because I'm in desperate need of that feature in that version. Not.

And if you want Unity to place your objects on 0,0,0, that's trivial: Just have an object at 0,0,0 and focus on that object, then create your new object, done. In almost all cases when I create a new object, I want it to be approximately where it is now (last "focus"). And for "root organization objects", it's really easy enough to "Reset".

Samuel411 likes this.