Search Unity

[Unity 5] Very dangerous problem of uGUI which can make your game fps suddenly drop!

Discussion in 'Unity UI (uGUI) & TextMesh Pro' started by Katori Nori, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Katori Nori

Katori Nori

Simply create a new scene, choose GameObject / UI / Button to create a button of uGUI.
    Then choose Windows / Profiler, turn on Record. On Overview window, click the title of column named 'GC Alloc' ( for sorting by GC Alloc )

Play your scene.

Look at the Overview window of profiler, you will see the first row named GameView.GetMainGameViewRenderRect() which alloc 32 Bytes every frames. But it appears only on the Editor, not on Players (like iOS, Android). Others alloc 0 Byte. So it's ok.

But try to click the button. At the time you click, a row named BehaviourUpdate() appears and allocs 1.1KB. Then try to hold down the button, 1.1KB alloc every frames! On iOS, it is 160 Bytes every frames instead of 1.1KB.

I wonder that if I hold down the button for a while, until the heap full, the 'Garbage Collector' may appears, clean heap, and drop the fps?

Thank you.

MrEsquire likes this.
  2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

I think you're just seeing editor gc, which is normal and harmless.

3. Katori Nori

Katori Nori

How can I see the real gc (iOS) ?

4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

Profile on device (see docs). You create a development build and build + run from unity with the auto attach profiler tickbox.

Profiler adds a tiny overhead, but I kind of like that as I surf so close to the limits so its a tiny buffer ;)

5. Katori Nori

Katori Nori

yes, I did the same. the result is 160 Bytes alloc every frames with my iPhone 6.

MrEsquire likes this.
  6. Rusfighter

Rusfighter

Got a similar problem, however if you holding a button nothing gets allocated, but if you clicking the button a lot, a lot of allocation happens (could be laggy if you have controllers made with UI).

Tested on android with the free profiler.

7. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

Did you guys resolve this or report a bug?

8. radokhlebov

radokhlebov

Have the same problem. Screenshot provided. Version: 5.3.5f1

UPD: FOUND A TEMP SOLUTION: set button -> transition to none

Strikes are gone! Color Tint causes this bug.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
    ilmario and MrEsquire like this.
  9. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

Ah I remember that... yeah tinting caused GC for me too back when I used it.