Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 5 - Standard Shader Washed Out

Discussion in 'Unity 5 Pre-order Beta' started by Noctys, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Noctys

Noctys

All non-transparent materials using the standard shader are really washed out. If I set the diffuse color to the main color in my texture it looks better provided that most of the texture is the same color. Doing this with a complex texture however give poor results.

Is this a bug or am I missing a setting in the standard shader?

* Very washed out
    StandardA.PNG

This is better. should be a little lighter, but not as much as above.
    standardB.PNG

2. sqallpl

sqallpl

Try to change 'Default Reflection' under the 'Scene Render Setting" from 'Skybox' to 'Custom' and check if it's still the same.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  3. Noctys

Noctys

Excellent - that (and setting the ambient to .5) fixed it. Thanks!!! So what exactly does that do?

James___UK likes this.
  4. sqallpl

sqallpl

You can play with 'Ambient Mode' and 'Amount' too.

AFAIK from testing the beta today, your object is affected by the environment lighting from your skybox and it additionally has a reflection with an input from skybox too.

James___UK likes this.
  5. Noctys

Noctys

Thanks again. After playing around with that I can see where it would be useful - especially with the SB+Eq+Grnd.

That being said (to any Unity people reading this), I think the default should be to have that turned off. It's going to mess up a lot of people and it's really only something you would want turned on if you were going to go in and tweak the settings anyway... That or have the default Skybox actually illuminated models correctly to begin with.

James___UK likes this.
  6. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

By default the skybox cubemap is generated from the actual skybox.
    The ambient lighting is also extracted from the skybox itself. (Stored in SH or basically as a kind of gradient that stores the lighting from all directions)

Basically we have all the different input lighting is generated from the same source. It sometimes makes sense to reduce the ambient / skylighting contribution to be less depending on your scene.

James___UK and shkar-noori like this.