Search Unity

Unity 5 shaders low quality

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by zenGarden, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Allegorithmic

Allegorithmic

Thanks! It was short we didn't have a lot of time, but it was recorded and I think it will be with the Unite videos Unity publishes. If not, I can make a video of the talk and upload to our youTube.

Cheers,
    Wes

2. zenGarden

zenGarden

Thank you so much for your efforts with Unity to improve their PBR shader :)

Does this means the workflow will be direct ? substance roughness and Metalness maps directy usable with Unity 5.3 new GGX PBR shader ?

3. Teo

Teo

Sadly is scheduled for December!!:(

I need 5.3 now!!! :)

4. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I feel your pain, Teo... big time, I am creating high fidelity characters and find myself fighting with the cubemaps more and more... especially when I can't even get them to look the way I want... unfortunately, Skyshop no longer works with Alloy so I have to figure out ways around this...

5. Teo

Teo

@KRGraphics I extensively use Algorithmic tools, everything looks exactly how I want, when I put them in Unity 5 something don't match, especially on metallic surfaces. Most probable is because GGX, but also I am not sure if reflections probes works correctly, especially on deferred rendering path.

KRGraphics likes this.
  6. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Yes, it's a real pain... I use Substance Designer as well and Alloy (Which is GGX), but the cubemaps are sampled much differently in Unity which is not great... The only way to counter this is either use the same cubemap from Painter in Unity, or fudge the roughness map in Painter by using a corrective curve which I DON'T want.

For now, the model looks really good... here is what I am dealing with now (using Scion Postprocessing btw which looks REAL good), having to fight with cubemaps... in Substance Painter, the textures are WAY rougher than shown here, and I had to unfortunately fudge it. Example, the skin is perfect the way I want. But if your reflection probes are set too high resolution, it messes up your roughness.

Screenshot 2015-10-01 01.09.04.png

7. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi,

This is mostly likely due to the differences in the BRDF. Unity 5.3 will change this : ) I have tested the latest internal builds and its working very well with Substance Painter. Unity will be using GGX.

In the meantime, you can try changing the resolution on your reflection probe and there is an issue in Unity where this is changing the interpretation of the smoothness.

Cheers,

Wes

8. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I really hope so... it will be very hard to make my textures look like they are supposed to

9. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

This is with 5.3 beta 5.

I think this issue is finally resolved.

substance.jpg

(and for those that might want to start nitpicking, please keep in mind, I eyeballed the camera position and the environment rotation, so they are not supposed to look 100% the same)

Devil_Inside and hopeful like this.
  10. zenGarden

zenGarden

Could you paint some super reflective surfaces and some very rought at maximum to compare better ?
    (Reflection is not visible a lot with background and your painting)

11. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I didn't paint anything, it's the cymourai asset as-is.

But since you asked, here is a magnificent paintover I just did that is bound to win me many awards:
    paint.jpg

The only "real" difference I can see is that when a metallic surface is very rough, it darkens somewhat in substance painter (left side of the cymourai) while in Unity is has roughly the same overall brightness. Not sure which is more "correct".

12. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

The one thing i am worried about is if it will be 1:1 when we use our own probes...

13. zenGarden

zenGarden

We should ask to both what is the correct lightening ? Anyway that's great because Unity is getting good PBR finally.
    I think we can thanks a lot Wesm and Substance Designer guys for pushing and helping Unity correct the PBR rendering :rolleyes:

14. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Actually, I investigated it a bit more, and it appears that Substance is able to produce "rougher" metallic surfaces than Unity can. Unity doesn't provice a "rough" enough reflection probe, to match how rough substance does its reflections at max value.

In any case, it doesn't seem like a big issue.

15. zenGarden

zenGarden

Unity have some work to do in that area perhaps.

16. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Actually this is the one thing that continues to bother me... they need to get it as close as Substance Painter as POSSIBLE... hell, even Skyshop got this correct.

zenGarden likes this.
  17. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

No, they don't and it's not an issue.

Toolbag 2 has the same "issue" and AFAIK people have been hailing toolbag's shader compatibility as great.

18. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thanks @AcidArrow for the feedback and testing. Please let me know any issues you find. I find that Substance is able to produce more detail in the "rougher" surfaces as well. I am also reporting all of our testing to the Unity devs and have alerted them to your posts.

Cheers,
    Wes

19. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

This is great news... I use Alloy but I hope that they ensure the reflection probes allow for the 1:1 roughness I am looking for in substance painter. It is awesome that the HDR match nearly 1:1, but the real test comes when we use our own scenes

20. Erind

Erind

yes but for now it offers the best pbr for games

21. zenGarden

zenGarden

I know and it offers other great features missing like sub surface scattering or pom and some others.
    I don't see the point of "best" pbr for the common pbr material ?
    As Unity is using GGX , models from substance painter to Unity should look the same now (i have worked on cartoon and not PBR models these months so i should check it).

22. Erind

Erind

sss is not used that much in video games but you can still use shader forge to make sss

23. zenGarden

zenGarden

Big games uses it and small indie gaems start using it. Why using Shader Forge when Alloy includes it in the package ?

24. Erind

Erind

what game use it ?

25. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Most AAA use some form of Skin shader for their characters and that usually includes SSS.

xenius likes this.
  26. Erind

Erind

yes in the trailer

27. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

... Okay? (no, not really)

xenius likes this.
  28. Erind

Erind

sss is used only on ice and other things like that you dont get to close to the face or skin of a character to see the sss effect (for the ice you can use emission texture).

29. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I think this is one of those situations that I might get in trouble if I keep pointing out that you are not correct, so.

Yeah, sure.

Deleted User and xenius like this.
  30. Erind

Erind

i might not be correct i don't know but i'm suggesting

31. Erind

Erind