Search Unity

[Unity 5] Scene-View FX (See your Image Effects & Camera settings in your Scene View!)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Quickfingers, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Quickfingers

Quickfingers

Description

Scene-View FX is an enhanced scene view window that operates like the regular scene view, only with added powerful visual features.
    All your post processing, image effects, advanced camera settings like rendering path, FOV and clip plane, are now reflected in your scene view, great for seeing the beauty of your levels properly whilst editing. You no longer need to reach for the game view to see what the game 'really' looks like.

Easy to access controls right next to the usual Scene View tools

Comparisons :

Features
    - All post processing image effects supported including those that require the depth buffer.
    - Auto matching clipping planes for increased accuracy in depth buffer
    - FOV Matching
    - Live editing image effects camera automatically updates the scene view
    - Handy toggle switch to hide all your gizmos in the scene for a clean look and great for taking screenshots.
    - Easy access buttons sit right on the scene views toolbar
    - When effects are active and no skybox is present, the scene view takes the background colour from the game camera .

Available for Unity 5 on the Asset Store for only $10

2. Patico

Patico

Wooow, it is the greatest tool for wonderful price!!!!!

3. Quickfingers

Quickfingers

Thank you sir :) If there's any questions or suggestions, let me know!

4. Luckymouse

Luckymouse

Working great in Unity 5 now, thanks for the update.

5. sgoodrow

sgoodrow

Hello sir,

My interface doesn't match the one displayed in your images above. I just imported the asset from the store and this is what it looks like. I am running Unity 4.6.

https://imgur.com/7gdgD9O

Any idea what's going on? Is this an old version?

Thanks.

6. nasos_333

nasos_333

What are the differences to BeholdR asset ?

I love the fact that is half price for starters :), does it have the same functionality ?

7. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Hello,

I just bought Scene-View FX but it's not working as expected for me... Running Unity 5.0.1 x64 on Windows 7, as soon as I select something in the SceneViewFX the console spits errors and the editor crashes :
    Any chance you could look into it ? Thanks !

8. Quickfingers

Quickfingers

Thanks for the report Chman, can confirm there is currently an issue with 5.0.1. I will look into and hopefully fix tonight. Expect an update very shortly.

nasos_333 : Thanks for the question. I haven't used BeholdR so I couldn't say for sure the differences...

judging from the feature list and information I have without buying...
    I don't think it does FOV and clip plane matching. (Clip plane matching is important for depth based image effect (DOF, SSAO etc) as the accuracy of those becomes a huge issue with giant clip planes.

The other difference as far as I can see is a slightly different workflow. They require you to put a component on a camera that you would like the scene view to mimic... where as SceneViewFX is a Scene view replacement window so open it once and then it automatically reads and mimics any camera you select from the drop down and applies the effects stack that way. This means an editor window to open, but no extra things to add to your scene objects. So it's a pretty subjective thing to which workflow you might prefer :)

Alverik likes this.
  9. Quickfingers

Quickfingers

sgoodrow : Yes that is the older version (currently the only one compatible with 4.x) If there is continued demand for 4.x I will update it one last time to the new interface. However with everyone now having Image Effects (even free users) with Unity 5 I foresee much more demand for this product in the 5.x + versions.

10. nasos_333

nasos_333

Thanks a lot for clarifying, i will buy asap :)

11. SAOTA

SAOTA

Works great. Unity 5.0.1. It helps a lot when developing with an oculus.

Thanks

12. sgoodrow

sgoodrow

Ah, that's... disheartening. I bought your package almost a year ago and have been living with the glitchy interface, but you're leaving your 'original customers' behind for the sake of profit? :( Ouch, man!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  13. Quickfingers

Quickfingers

Hey sorry dude, I'll update 4.x version to get it to be as good as the current 5.x now. I just didn't know anyone was using it, didn't sell many :)

On another point though, if the interface is glitchy, do let me know as that's something you shouldn't have to put up with regardless of the version

14. Quickfingers

Quickfingers

2.1 has been submitted to the asset store which includes fixes for Unity 5.0.1 and also brings support to 4.6.x for all the new features like FOV / clip plane matching and the nicer UI.

Will drop a msg here when its been approved!

15. sgoodrow

sgoodrow

Quickfingers Thanks mate. :) The "glitchiness" I was referring to is how the SceneViewFX bar renders the new icons -- they were slightly offset from the actual bar.

I will investigate your new version once it's been approved. Thanks a bunch!

16. Quickfingers

Quickfingers

Alright the new version should now be live! Have fun :)

17. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

I have a question, can you have multiple Scene-View FX each with different configuration or image effects apply to it? That way I can compare the look quickly and adjust and choose the best look.

mgmhunt likes this.
  18. Can-Baycay

Can-Baycay

I just bought and very happy with what I see. Thanks.

Got a really annoying problem though. Turns out standard motion blur image effect does not seem to work well. It get's a constant blur as soon as I move or rotate in scene view. (Though it does not get blurred if camera is selected in hierarchy but then somehow blur effect is totally lost).

19. Quickfingers

Quickfingers

Can Baycay, can you check that the effects are all on? i.e. the skybox, animated materials and such is all checked in the scene view? See if that helps

20. Can-Baycay

Can-Baycay

Nope, nothing changes.

Here is a list of simple steps to reproduce the bug.
    - Create a new project
    - Import Scene-View FX and Unity's standard Effects package
    - Throw some boxes and lights around if you like
    - Add "Camera Motion Blur" script to main camera
    - Set "Velocity Scale" to something like 15 to make it easier to see.
    - Open Scene View FX window and enable "Post FX"
    - Make sure Main Camera object is not selected in hierarcy (try it unselected and selected to see blurred and nonblurred behaviour)
    - Move and look around in Scene View FX window and you should see the problem.

21. MS80

MS80

Hi Quickfingers!
    Unfortunatly "Scene View FX" does not work with the latest Unity version 5.2.0f3!
    The SceneViewFX window completely freezes! Hope you can fix it soon, thanks!

Furax, Luckymouse and SAOTA like this.
  22. Quickfingers

Quickfingers

The issue with Unity 5.2 has been fixed and submitted for approval

23. MS80

MS80

Thanks Quickfingers! This was really quick, justified your name! :)
    V2.2 works with Unity 5.2.1f1!

24. Unreal-Vision

Unreal-Vision

Any news regarding motion blur issue?

Thanks,

25. Unreal-Vision

Unreal-Vision

Can you also add a shortcut keyboard to scene view (for example ctrl+shift+1) ? :)

However amazing asset!

Thanks,

26. Quickfingers

Quickfingers

Hey unreal vision, regarding the camera motion blur, it seems that effect requires camera velocity to be updated which I don't think works when the game is not running so might be a challenge, I'll try to think of a workaround tho dude.

As for keyboard shortcut, CTRL+1 still works as it after the initial opening of scene view fx, so if it's your only scene view in your window layout then u can focus it with that shortcut

27. Unreal-Vision

Unreal-Vision

1) I know that Amplify assign custom script to object so I don;t know how you would fix
    2) Thanks for clarification. I used without any scene/scenefx view so shortcut doesn't work.

Thanks,

28. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I just bough this on a whim... what was unity thinking NOT having this as a default feature in Scene View? Now I don't have to switch to game view anymore and see my game exactly as it should be seen.

There is a bug though if you use Shaded Wireframe on this... it kills the effect and reverts to the old view...

EDIT: Nevermind, not a bug. But I would love to see this expanded to toggle all albedo maps to white so we can just see the lighting with the textures applied (think just removing the base colour maps only globally)

29. ciathyza

ciathyza

Hi! Is there any way to get antialiasing working in the Scene View FX window? In the default scene window AA works by default but in the Scene View FX window AA doesn't seem to work.

30. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I wouldn't even worry about it. Anti-aliasing should be the last thing on your mind

31. ciathyza

ciathyza

Why? Are you Ok with jaggy polygons? There's a reason for why AA was invented so why should it be last thing on my mind?

I've bought Scene View FX primarily to use the Outline camera effect for scene modelling. It helps a lot to recognize shapes more easily with the outline. But it looks bad without AA.

32. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Hey dude, just an update... your asset doesn't seem to be working on Unity 5.3

S_Darkwell likes this.
  33. Quickfingers

Quickfingers

Thanks for the heads up, I've submitted a fix for Unity 5.3, should be approved very soon!

MS80 likes this.
  34. Quickfingers

Quickfingers

The SceneView-FX is really for Post Effects that are added to a camera, I'm not sure if its possible to get the AA from the quality settings to reflect the scene view camera. However you can use the Antialiasing image effect on the camera which produces pretty good results

35. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Yay.

36. Quickfingers

Quickfingers

Update for 5.3 is live!

Luckymouse and KRGraphics like this.
  37. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Question, does this work with every image effects extensions (such as Colorful FX, SSAO Pro, SE Natural Bloom & Dirty Lens, VHS Pro, Amplify Color, ProFlares, Lens Dirtiness, Camera Perspective Editor, Physically Based Area Lights - redLights 2.0, Candela SSRR V2..) on Asset Store? Or does this only with Unity's own image effects only?

Also, can I open up TWO Scene-View FX windows and apply different camera/image effects to each?

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
    mgmhunt likes this.
  38. Quickfingers

Quickfingers

Hi there bawss, it works with every image effect custom and Unity made. The only caveat is motion blur which uses integrated velocities on the cpu side which are not updated when the editor is not running however I'm looking into a workaround for that as we speak.

The second question, u can only have one scene view fx window open at a time, but the handy drop down allows u to select which camera to preview the effects of so u can switch on the fly for easy comparisons

Hope this helps!

I am da bawss likes this.
  39. thienohs

thienohs

Hi Quickfingers,

I'm using Unity 5.3.1 and experience a problem using your asset. It worked perfectly if I don't switch scene.
    If I ever switch scene, the FX will be disable and add some strange effects like blue background, over-bright, etc...
    There is no way to go back to normal unless I restart Unity. Tick and untick PostFX button doesn't seem to do anything.
    Also, the camera list doesn't refresh completely when switch or even when click the Refresh button, it always include the old cameras from the old scenes if switch to new scene. If I changed the code line 972 SceneViewFX.cs
    foreach (Camera c in (Camera[]) Resources.FindObjectsOfTypeAll(typeof (Camera))) {
    to :
    foreach (Camera c in (Camera[]) GameObject.FindObjectsOfType(typeof(Camera))) {

Then the list refresh correctly.

Is there something wrong with my setting ?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  40. Quickfingers

Quickfingers

Hi there thienohs, apologies for the lateness of the reply, I've had quite a busy schedule this week. I haven't upgraded to Unity 5.3 as of yet, but I will do so this weekend and work out exactly what is going on for you.
    The reason for using Resources.FindObjectsOfTypeAll in the camera list is to find camera's that are deactivated in the scene. It looks like this has the side effects of also finding any prefabs that are in the project even if they aren't in the scene which might be what you are seeing. I will look at a fix as soon as I can.

41. AntonBertelsen

AntonBertelsen

Hi there. I just wanted to inform you that your plugin is broken in the new public beta 5.4b10.
    I hope you choose to support this version, even though it isn't a full release. :)

42. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Hey Quick, just a heads up... your asset doesn't play nice with prefab cameras... it forces me to apply any changes to the prefabs

43. Quickfingers

Quickfingers

thanks for the early warning Mr_Edward, I'll be on it asap...

KRGraphics: that doesn't sound right... Prefabbed or not, if a camera is active and within the scene, it ... oh wait I think I know whats happening.... I think when it tries to find the cameras any prefab references are being pushed to the actual asset within your project rather than your scene. The way I find cameras is a way that includes disabled cameras but it may also reference the project prefabs.

If you are happy with the camera drop down just displaying active cameras within the scene then there's a very easy fix…

change the code on line 972 in SceneViewFX.cs
    foreach (Camera c in (Camera[]) Resources.FindObjectsOfTypeAll(typeof (Camera))) {
    to :
    foreach (Camera c in (Camera[]) GameObject.FindObjectsOfType(typeof(Camera))) {

and all should be well

Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
  44. AntonBertelsen

AntonBertelsen

Hey there. Are you still working on a unity 5.4 implementation? - Not trying to be impatient, and I completely understand if other things are going on in your life at the moment. This plugin has just become so essential for my workflow, and building levels without image effects is simply painful. - I know that Unity supports image effects in the editor by default in 5.4, but it's a pretty poor implementation, and I'd love to have this plugin working again.

Thanks. :)

45. Quickfingers

Quickfingers

Hey Mr_Edward, if you think that Scene View FX has some value over Unities native image effect support in 5.4 then I will no doubt continue support. I haven't got 5.4 myself yet as I am actually stuck on 5.2 for my current project but I will investigate soon and be happy to make it work

46. Quickfingers

Quickfingers

Update 2.4 is live on the asset store! Fixes issues with 5.3.x, compatible with Unity 5.4 beta, and a whole bunch of bug fixes to do with non image effect components being on your cameras, (these will no longer copy to the scene view camera)

SAOTA likes this.
  47. AntonBertelsen

AntonBertelsen

Fantastic :) - Thank you very much for the update.

48. Hexaedre

Hexaedre

Hi Quickfingers,

I have some issues I would like to report.
    I am using Unity 5.3.4.

Your asset doesn't work with Playway Water System.
    When the water is active some artefacts shows up, there is no more FX and no more shadows.

Also, when I select my camera in the hierarchy, the scene view window turn grey and the console keep throwing out this error :

InvalidCastException: Cannot cast from source type to destination type.
    SceneViewFX.UpdateComponents () (at Assets/SceneViewFX/Editor/SceneViewFX.cs:919)
    SceneViewFX.Update () (at Assets/SceneViewFX/Editor/SceneViewFX.cs:883)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:232)
    System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MethodBase.cs:115)
    UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName, System.Object obj) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:187)
    UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:180)
    UnityEditor.HostView.SendUpdate () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:245)
    UnityEditor.EditorApplication.Internal_CallUpdateFunctions () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/editor/EditorApplicationBindings.gen.cs:217)

This is less important, but the God Rays from Time of Day are not rendered.

Last edited: May 20, 2016
  49. Quickfingers

Quickfingers

Hi Hexaedre, can you show me a screenshot of your camera stack? Just the inspector part with the effects? If I can duplicate it closely I can debug this error for you

50. M9games

M9games

Is there any plans to add retina support to SceneFX?

I'm using 5.4 and both retina support doesn't work and because of this the tools like move, rotate don't work.

Everything else works fine though.