Search Unity

1. We are migrating the Unity Forums to Unity Discussions. On July 12, the Unity Forums will become read-only.

Please, do not make any changes to your username or email addresses at id.unity.com during this transition time.

It's still possible to reply to existing private message conversations during the migration, but any new replies you post will be missing after the main migration is complete. We'll do our best to migrate these messages in a follow-up step.

On July 15, Unity Discussions will become read-only until July 18, when the new design and the migrated forum contents will go live.

Read our full announcement for more information and let us know if you have any questions.

Unity 5 - RigidBody and WheelColliders act weird

Discussion in 'Physics' started by grandpaguru, Mar 23, 2015.

1. grandpaguru

grandpaguru

Hello guys. I need to create a small car for my university project. Something like this:

And I've been trying for weeks to create it to be fast and also stable. It needs to be able to climb over some obstacles (simple angled surface) but I can't make it working no matter what I try. I'm using Unity 5 User Guide Car script but those WheelColliders make my car jump for some reason and when it tries to go over obstacle it looks like gravity is very low.
    Please let me know if you need some extra information.
    Thanks.

2. Cool_Flow

Cool_Flow

I have yet to find a WORKING fix to Unity's new PhyX 3.3 WheelCollider physics. I recommend you go back to Unity 4 if you plan on doing this.

3. grandpaguru

grandpaguru

Oh crap. I can't do that right now. How come that their car prefab works great? And what actually causes that jumping and low gravity and shaking at high speed?

4. KingMatthew

KingMatthew

The Low gravity might be caused by very large scaling. Make sure your car is the right size and not extremely big. I would also recommend using unity4 if you plan on making a car. I cant figure out how to get the wheel colliders to work.

5. grandpaguru

grandpaguru

I can't switch to Unity 4 because I need some image effects and render texture which are not free in Unity 4. Is it easier to create a tank movement? I tried with the Character Controller but it's unchangable capsule collider is making some problems.