Search Unity

Unity 5 release date?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PROTOFACTOR_Inc, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

I couldn't care about the GUI, general development speed is another matter.

I give up!.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2014
    ShilohGames likes this.
  2. Wild-Factor

Wild-Factor

Stop the builshit. You know that even with these lines, this is still consider a promise for the common people. I know you know it, even if you may try to lie to yourself.
    If it wasn't the case, there is no reason not to continu make a road map with this two lines, isn't it ?
    And Unity knwo now that they can't deliver on time, so they stop making promise.

A roadmap IS a promise, what ever small line you put in the bottom. A promise IS NOT legal. It's only something that some one tell to someone else that it should be ready. And you can argue as much as you want :) And erase forum post :) Defending Unity on this point show just how much bias you are.

Can you answer this:
    We can at least all agree, that UNITY NEVER officially deny that the GUI was not for the 3.x ?
    (and maybe intentionnally to keep some customers)
    We can at least all agree that UNTY talk about it for the 3.X ?
    (even if there is legal small disclaimer at the end of the roadmap that cover all features)

I don't care about GUI... But it wouldn't be bad if Unity could reconise their problems and just handle it that way.
    Is it really hard ? It just make look like a big firm against their customers.
    This is a big symptom of their bad communication recently.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  3. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

It really, really isn't. But thank you for confirming that the incorrect notion of "Unity promised" does, indeed, come from the "subject to change" roadmap. So at least we can end this now.

It was a big line at the top. If you choose to ignore it and misinterpret it as a "promise", that is entirely your fault. What's more, this willfull misinterpretation is objectively bad because it causes problems. You need to stop doing this if you want Unity to share their roadmap...it would be nice if we could get a general idea of features they're working on; features that may or may not end up in a particular version, without people later getting upset about made-up "promises" that never existed.

That's completely irrelevant. Look, this whole GUI nonsense started because I questioned the claim that Unity has a history of promising features for a X.0 version and then delaying them in a X.Y version. I asked for examples, got none except the GUI, which, as we have now confirmed, is not a legitimate example either.

So, that's it. Whatever failings Unity may have, promising features for a specific version and then delaying them is not one of them.

What this has to do with the Unity 5 release date, I'm not quite sure. ;)

--Eric

StarManta, Bhearus and Devil_Inside like this.
  4. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

Im going to have to agree with eric and the unity guys lol... people are just mincing words now because they want to feel angry but have nothing to feel angry over lol... I mean honestly, even if they chose to give us no info on unity 5 itself, we have no right to be angry. But still in that regaurd they are a business and they have competition. I'm sure on some level they want to clarify things which is why im sure unite is when they will.

5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Give it a rest son. Try doing something useful like making a game instead of babbling about what doesn't matter. We'll get GUI real soon and all's well.

Give it a rest, the whining bores the tits off me.

chelnok likes this.
  6. Wild-Factor

Wild-Factor

Say the man with 10 000 post and spending their time moderating and arguing like me :)
    You don't work on a new game since The Other Brothers ?
    (I backed it but still didn't had time to play it, I'm developping most of the time)

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  7. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

I was reading through a thread from April where you said the same thing about the GUI coming really soon. Here is the link:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/daikon-forge-or-ngui.238035/

Four months ago, here is your answer to whether to use Daikon Forge or NGUI:
    "Neither, just wait for Unity 4.6. It's not far off really."

Here is a link to your post:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/daikon-forge-or-ngui.238035/#post-1580063

We've all been hearing that the GUI is "coming soon" for a while now. I'm betting the Unity 4.6 release won't be available until Unite at the absolute earliest. If somebody needs a solid GUI right now, they should pick DFGUI or NGUI instead of waiting patiently for the new Unity GUI.

8. Whippets

Whippets

In before thread close XD

Wild-Factor likes this.
  9. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I don't in fact care about being quoted or whatever. Situations change, but it looks like you have a problem with that. That's not my problem though.

Do something constructive, or you'll illustrate that you're incapable of being positive and constructive and just want to light fires. That's self-defeating.

I'm not defending unity, I don't care if they're late on something. I want a stable product.

zombiegorilla likes this.
  10. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

A Moon Shaped Bool Unity Legend

Lots of people have stated that we don't communicate enough on the forums, thus I have taken it upon myself to sign up and to try to communicate with queries, questions, problems, suggestions people may have, and to help out with our other employees that post here. My day-to-day has usually been focused on in-person communication and hands-on presenting upcoming features to everyone from students to huge studios and to help out Unity developers via Twitter and Email. Yes, I had perhaps not focused enough attention to talking on the forums with the developers here, but thats what im trying to do now; to debate and discuss our forum-user's woes and to communicate this back to UT internally. Infact, since signing up, I have begun to internally communicate summaries of people's comments, from many threads, to the majority of our staff and to individuals that would have an influence on specific matters. Aurore has actually been doing this on a very regular basis for quite a while now. Trust me, everyone in UT is listening to your woes and is gathering information from all resources of our community and to act upon them in an organised manner. And when we have solutions to your problems, they will be presented to you all. :)

11. Wild-Factor

Wild-Factor

Great!

12. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Nice response Andy. And it's appreciated by many.
    Been in dev ages now, a year so far and another year left. After, I'm porting TOB to PC platforms. If you backed it on IGG I need to get your goodies to you (I still haven't got the list from 3D attack yet!)

I'm not attacking you, I'm just saying: Unity's slow, it's fallable... but so long as they deliver it eventually I'm ok I guess. Moderation is just another job in a long line... :D

13. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

Arguing about whether or not GUI was promised in 3.x isn't going to make GUI come out faster so let's get back on topic shall we

chelnok, ShilohGames and shkar-noori like this.
  14. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

15. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

I think the topic itself is like beating a dead horse at this point. People are just waiting for new info.

16. Aurore

Aurore

Has anyone checked the blog lately?

shkar-noori likes this.
  17. Archania

Archania

Is there something good?

18. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Oohhh new post......haven't checked it....why no newsletter about it......???

19. Aurore

Aurore

Depends on your personal definition of good. We had some frame debugging at the end of last week and this morning we had some multi scene editing.

20. Aurore

Aurore

We can't send out a newsletter about every new post that goes up, you can RSS it though (if there are issues with this let me know).

We also moved the blog to be under the community tab so you can't miss it while on the Forums or Answers. I also created a forum thread where I post a link to every new tech post http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/unity-blog-posts.258770/#post-1722163 you can subscribe to that and get an alerts with all your other posts on here.

We also post about them on our social media as soon as they go up http://facebook.com/unity3d & http://twitter.com/unity3d

If there are any other ways we can advertise new blogs, I'm all ears.

21. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Wow...how can i missed that thread. Facebook and Twitter is great Idea, why not just post the news in Official Unity3D Facebook page??

22. Aurore

Aurore

We do...

23. Aurore

Aurore

Although in fairness if you are no seeing our official Facebook updates in your news feed that's because of Facebook "prioritising" things. You can make sure you see our updates by hitting the follow button
    Screen Shot 2014-08-04 at 16.41.35 copy.png

24. LaneFox

LaneFox

This is actually pretty annoying, I rather preferred it back when it just fed all of the latest updates as the FB page is how I find out about new blogposts and such. I think FB skips some of the posts from pages, if thats what you're talking about.

25. Aurore

Aurore

I won't go into the science of Facebook's algorithms but basically if you don't visit the page/like/comment on something in a while, that page's updates will drop off your timeline. Unless that page pays a s*** tonne of money to get it "sponsored" into your news feed, which we only do for really big or partner stuff. But yes, back on topic now.

26. Archania

Archania

I want a personal call from you aurore about new blog posts. Makes it friendlier :)

27. Aurore

Aurore

With over 2 Million of you....I'd be here a very long time :p

hippocoder likes this.
  28. TheDMan

TheDMan

Wow, so I made a mistake between 3.5.7 and 3.6 and you're taking it as proof, considering it was over 3 years ago. In fact now that I remember it, that was the other thing people were pissed about. Instead of 3.6 UT jumped to 4.0 to cash in on upgrades.

Well here's some proof that remains on the subject.

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/unity-3-5-gui-preview.111971/

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/unity-3-6-new-gui-system.132615/

NOTE! That neither YOU or other major members like Hippocoder, Dreamora corrected anyone by saying there wasnt any mention of a new GUI by UT, and in one of Dreamora's replies he states that UT staff mentioned several times that the new GUI may not be in 3.5 but in 3.6 (which never came instead was downgraded to lesser stripped down updates as 3.5.7 to push out 4.0 and get people to pay again).

29. zenGarden

zenGarden

Let's hope it will not be same story for UT5 ?

30. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Why are you still talking about this? I hope you don't seriously think that a major feature such as a new GUI system would actually be released in a minor maintenance release like 3.5.7. The threads that you linked to are just speculation, as clearly indicated by the contents, not "proof"; 3.6 was never announced. Some people assumed there would be a 3.6 just because there was a 2.6, which isn't exactly compelling evidence (they skipped 2.2, 2.3, and 2.4, so in fact there were more major 3.x releases than 2.x releases). Just let it go already! This argument is irrelevant to the matter at hand anyway.

Considering that never actually happened in the first place, I doubt it.

--Eric

hippocoder likes this.
  31. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

Just curious, but... all this trying to prove yourself right stuff.... What is the point? I mean what are you looking for? Validation? Are you expecting something from them? A cookie maybe? I would just love to understand what you think your going to gain out of rehashing the same discussion. Seems like your doing it just to be able to curse someone out... rather then to get anything tangible or useful out of it.. so please.. enlighten us lol

32. Archania

Archania

They are just trying to bash unity because they have nothing else productive to do. Besides people like that with the Internet as cover like to be the bigger fish in the pond (if you know what I mean).

hippocoder likes this.
  33. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

I did, and it was a pretty good and needed features.

hippocoder likes this.
  34. zenGarden

zenGarden

Products announced than delayed are common thing in software , and any company can improve in that side.
    Let's wait for Unite and see if it will be some solid proposed date for UT5 release ?

zombiegorilla and hippocoder like this.
  35. Wild-Factor

Wild-Factor

So don't the same thing in return...

Back to the subject: Unity won't reveal the release date of Unity 5, because their marketing departement are not ready yet ?

36. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

Because they don't know it yet?

37. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Heh... if their marketing department is like every other marketing department in... well... the history of marketing, they have been ready since before 5 was even announced. Folks in marketing are generally way ahead of the people actually building the product. ;)

Aurore likes this.
  38. zenGarden

zenGarden

A simple scene on PC looks heavy better with Pro version , without it looks just bland non appealing.
    For some hobbyst people the price announcement (no changes or changed one) will be also what will make us follow or turn to other affordable software (Shiva 2 , UE4 , Esenthel ...)

ShilohGames likes this.
  39. Aurore

Aurore

Development don't have an exact date of when 5 will be ready, marketing generally spend this time getting everything ready in some form of templates-ish for when development say "we're done".

40. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

I so badly want enlighten, and reflection probes that interpolate between each other....

41. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

Do you have comparison screenshots? You can still make an impressive looking game in Unity Free (It doesn't get more affordable than 'Free' for the price of an engine).

shkar-noori likes this.
  42. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

Seems like people will bitch about anything these days.

43. Grafos

Grafos

That is just mean! It's all a matter of perception, for many of us users "affordable and fully feautered > free and crippled". So we "bitch" about the lack of an "affordable and fully feautered" solution from unity, especially in light of what the competition has recently been doing.

44. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

Im just saying... its free... its free for a purpose. Get you interested... get you learning... and you can even still write your own shaders and do all sorts of stuff with the free version. You dont need to rely on pro tools to make it look good. If your serious about developing a project.... the pay version is not expensive. Its a paycheck. Worthy investment. Not to mention that unity does not take a cut of your profits either. Its pretty much as greedless as possible on their part in my eyes.

I wouldn't be as worried about the compeitions pricing as i would the features.

Andy-Touch likes this.
  45. zenGarden

zenGarden

Just take some marvellous environment pack from 4K , and compare a scenes will all effects from Pro and without any in Free version, the result is totally different, from good 3D art , to great looking atmosphere and scene on Pro.
    Don't tell me people can't see a difference from Free and Pro version ? Don't tell me it's not better ? ortherise people would just stay with Free version.
    About price 1500$ is heavy just for trying to finish a game without beeing sure of any result. Perhaps good price for easy customizable engine, bubt not all amateurs will put such money.
    1500$ is not regular hobbyst price , there are alternative prices like Esenthel, UE4, Shiva 2 etc .. and other open source like Ogre3D for skilled coders.

Just to say like many others, 15000$ will not be our taste , specially when we got lot more actually for 20$.

Grafos likes this.
  46. Dantus

Dantus

If you have the resources to create a 4K game, it is not a big deal to buy Unity Pro. 4K graphics mean you need an outstanding game mechanics, you need outstanding animations and everything has to be top notch. If you are able to do that, it won't be a big deal to get the funding in one or the other way to pay for Unity Pro.

shkar-noori likes this.
  47. StarManta

StarManta

Of course you have more options. But that doesn't mean you can't make a beautiful game in Free. It all comes down to the art assets. A good artist with Unity Free WILL produce a better-looking game than a crappy artist no matter how many copies of Unity Pro you throw at him. You can do amazing effects with just shaders and procedural meshes, both of which are unhampered in Free.

48. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

Everything I am about to type has been said countless times before, so im going to post some bullet points:
    - Unity Free is intended for hobbyists so they can create and ship a game, for free, to mobile, desktop and console.
    - Unity Pro is intended for companies who earn over $100k a year and for 'pro' game developers who want/need pro features.
    - Yes, Unity Free is missing some features of pro, but you do get an out-of-the-box game engine, with zero royalties, for completely free.
    - People have shipped full games with Unity Free and have been successful with them, here is a list of some of them: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/can-you-name-some-games-made-with-the-free-version-of-unity.258766/
    - If you feel that another engine is catered more to creating your specific game type, then you are more than within your own right to try that other engine out. :)

derkoi and inafield like this.
  49. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

soo..... can i have unity 5 yet? lol

50. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

When it is release-ready. :)

inafield likes this.