Search Unity

Unity 5 release date?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PROTOFACTOR_Inc, Mar 20, 2014.

1. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Done!
    I call it FolderOnDock™
    Screen Shot 2014-07-30 at 12.46.06 AM.png

If anyone wants a copy, I will gladly send you one for $9.95 via paypal. (supplies are limited)

Beennn, Dabeh and superpig like this.
  2. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

A Moon Shaped Bool Unity Legend

Does it come with Rift support?!

rakkarage likes this.
  3. Archania

Archania

And don't forget Unity uses Unite a
    But if I order now can i get 2 for the low cost of $9.95 and just pay the difference in shipping and handling?

4. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

You are ignoring my point. I realize the basic functionality exists already in Unity to support a multi-version installer and launcher, and that it would be trivial for a 3rd party to write something like this. My point is that this is something simple that Unity could quickly integrate, so there could be a standard/official Unity multi-version launcher. And then after creating that launcher, it would be easier for Unity to quickly release public betas.

What the UE4 launcher does is standardizes the distribution of the public beta to users. Having the ability to run multiple versions is only one part of it.

5. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Whoa, I take back what I said...obviously that wasn't trivial at all and took massive development time, I can't believe you would sell it for less than $10! Bargain!

--Eric

6. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

I am not ignoring your point at all. I am mocking it because it is really, really lame. They can release, if they choose, betas very easily. It would be more work to do some sort of client. You don't seem to get that there is no technical issue here at all. Clearly there are already betas out there. If it were public they would just post a link on the web site, like they do for every other release.

7. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

Are you already in the private beta? In am wondering if that is where your attitude is coming from.

8. calmcarrots

calmcarrots

Do you guys have a roadmap to the first release if U5 that we could see?

9. Stormbreaker

Stormbreaker

Seeing as the UT is about as transparent as a slab of concrete, good luck with that :D

Paddington_Bear and calmcarrots like this.
  10. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

Pretty sure his attitude is coming from actually being correct. Of all the issues involved in running a public beta, "there's no launcher app to make launching different installs of Unity easy" barely even registers.

11. superpig

superpig

Brett said (in the latest Unreal thread, I think?) that they're working on making the roadmap public. I can't say I understand why that takes so much work, but apparently showing us the roadmap is... well... on the roadmap. *shrug*

12. calmcarrots

calmcarrots

Haha ok great. Cant wait to see what else unity needs to work on. I am dying to use U5. The shaders look amazing and every other feature

13. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

Let's just hope its what it's supposed to be 'AMAZING', and I'm hoping for an early October release

14. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

I love how on the one hand u got people complaining that its not in their hands yet. And on the other hand those same people want them to use their man power on developing rediculously pointless tools...

15. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

October? F*** that. lol. I'm still holding out hope for august.

16. Dabeh

Dabeh

Comes with cross-platform support, as seen here:

17. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Not that I am aware of. I have absolutely no desire in being in the beta, why would I? Betas are like jury duty.
    No attitude at all, just mocking the pure absurdity of your logic. It is genuinely entertaining to read.

Your concern:
    You are worried and kinda freaking out that Unity won't ship and that they need to take immediate action so u5 won't be delayed, and won't fall behind UE4.

Your solution:
    1. Have them create a tool that will use valuable time and resources that is not needed in any way shape or form.
    2. Move into a public beta as soon as possible. Which will generate a ton of extra noise and feedback that will have to be sifted through. Feedback from anybody, rather that select trusted sources. Seriously, how useful is that? Have you read the support forums? Do they really need to take the time to even sort that out that feedback at this time? How much will be people want to know how to make their game, or why can't it be free, arguing for their pet features or making random suggestions/comments. Of course, you suggest ignoring that feedback, which is mind-boggling. Why even do it in the first place?

To summarize:
    You clearly have no idea what a software beta is or what purpose it serves.
    You want them to both hurry up but also waste a bunch of effort on things that won't help the release.
    You really know little about the product in the first place. You claim you know multiple versions can be used, but:
    Again, UE launcher was CREATED TO MATCH EXISTING FEATURES IN UNITY. Not the other way around. You warning it will be the end of unity and citing the immediate need of SOMETHING THAT ALREADY EXISTS.

Conclusion:
    In case you haven't put it all together yet... People like you are exactly the reason why an open public beta is a bad idea. You don't understand the process, little knowledge of the product, poor logic skills and the desire to ramble on and argue and make a case for silly things despite all that.

Don't get me wrong, no matter how ill-conceived, illogical or incorrect your opinion is, you are entitled it and no one can take that from you. It certainly makes for entertaining reading. Keep fighting the good fight!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
    giyomu and Dabeh like this.
  18. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Hmmmm.... the Linux version seems to work. Please file a bug report.

Dabeh likes this.
  19. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

David said "this year", I'm thinking December. ;)

shkar-noori likes this.
  20. Deleted User

Deleted User

I'm thinking Dectaugober.

shkar-noori and zombiegorilla like this.
  21. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

Unity 5 will be released when it is release-ready.

22. Dabeh

Dabeh

I'm holding you to that, you're personally responsible now Andy. :rolleyes:

23. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Oh NOES!!! But I neeeeed it now! My new totoally orginal horror survival (not slendy.. lol! its a RPG with voxels.) won't work without Globe Illumnator. I was... gonna preorder Unity5, (after the kickstarter of course, lols) but if you can not show give a roadmap and a hand written promise from the collar guy, I am going to switch my entire team over Unreal. I don't want to cause I already know JAva...lol but If I have to, I learn blueprints too. Choose carefully unity guys, my teem and indies are your future... AAA is dead lol. Get us the beta and the new Unity5Free, and please add new example projects for Horror, RPGS and minecraft.

alos, if anyone wants is looking to join our stuido skype me. Only Java scripts and must have substance database.

24. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

We did actually used to have a public roadmap in the form of a list of features that were aimed for the next few releases, at the time, and some future features.
    http://blogs.unity3d.com/2011/06/16/unity-roadmap-2011/

In terms of our current public-facing features:

Unity 4.6: New UI System
    Video 1: www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOX6itCuKOc
    Video 2: www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzt1rEEdeOI

Unity 5.0: Ton of new features and overhauls
    Feature Trailer: www.youtube.com/watch?v=dk8gpz0o5TU
    New Audio System: http://blogs.unity3d.com/2014/07/24/mixing-sweet-beats-in-unity-5-0/
    PhysX Changes: http://blogs.unity3d.com/2014/07/08/high-performance-physics-in-unity-5/
    Mecanim Additions: http://blogs.unity3d.com/2014/06/26/shiny-new-animation-features-in-unity-5-0/
    API Changes: http://blogs.unity3d.com/2014/06/23/unity5-api-changes-automatic-script-updating/
    IL2CPP: http://blogs.unity3d.com/2014/05/20/the-future-of-scripting-in-unity/
    Exporting to WebGL: http://blogs.unity3d.com/2014/04/29/on-the-future-of-web-publishing-in-unity/
    Physically-Based Shading: http://blogs.unity3d.com/2014/03/20/physically-based-shading-upcoming-in-unity-5-0/
    Frame Debugger: http://blogs.unity3d.com/2014/07/29/frame-debugger-in-unity-5-0/
    Metal for iOS8: http://blogs.unity3d.com/2014/07/03/metal-a-new-graphics-api-for-ios-8/
    Enlighten Global Illumination
    Reflection Probes
    Scene Render Settings
    2D Physics Area Effectors
    Lots of other things such as tweaks to NavMesh etc

Of features being worked on for a future release (Not 5.0):
    New Networking System: http://blogs.unity3d.com/2014/05/12/announcing-unet-new-unity-multiplayer-technology/

In terms of a complete public roadmap of things we are working on, that is something that Brett (Bibbinator) is taking charge of and gathering the information for. :)

25. der_r

der_r

Sorry, but this isn't on a Trello board. ;-)

26. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

Sorry, but we're at Unity forums, not Unreal's.

der_r and Paddington_Bear like this.
  27. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

So... would u say its almost done? Or theres so much trouble it could be 6 months from now? Hate to ask stupid questions, but it really does matter to me in terms of developing current projects that I would like in unity 5.

shkar-noori likes this.
  28. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

I dont know why this post makes me feels that Unity 5 comes out in 2015.

29. Stormbreaker

Stormbreaker

Q.E.D.

30. superpig

superpig

Well what are you expecting, exactly? They can't really predict how things are going to go. If they said "It's going to come out on November 1st" then that's no guarantee they won't get to November 1st and say "ah S***, there's still bugs to fix, sorry."

31. Stormbreaker

Stormbreaker

Seeing as they're developing the product, I'm pretty sure they can predict how things are going to go? An exact release date isn't necessary, hell, even a quarter will do. They said Summer 2014, summer is coming to a pass and things still look a way off. Anything's better than "It will be ready when it's ready".

32. superpig

superpig

Honestly I don't think they can. When you're dealing with something as large and complex as Unity, for a release with a great many large new features, it's very easy for unexpected issues to crop up that delay things by an order of months.

I mean just look at 4.6, a release which is just one major new feature - originally they said spring, then summer, and now we're getting close to the end of summer and it's not out yet... things are done to the point that they're comfortable making videos demonstrating how it's all going to work, so it's bugfixing which is holding up the release. Now take that situation and multiply it by Enlighten, PBR shaders, WebGL, a new audio system, 64-bit support... these things get fixed in parallel, of course, but it raises the uncertainty factor by an order of magnitude.

Of course, what we usually do in games is to pick a release date and then just cut anything that isn't ready by that time. But given that they've announced all these things and have sold preorder licenses on the basis of them, I don't think they can do that so easily...

They can bracket it a bit, sure - they can say 'it'll be out before 2016.' But how useful is that, really?

33. Stormbreaker

Stormbreaker

That's true, it is a huge undertaking with a huge number of developers contributing their work towards it. There must be someone co-ordinating it though, like a project leader, who is keeping track of what's left to do in terms of development and who is setting deadlines for developers. That's the guy who needs to be communicating with us, either directly or through a community manager.

daisySa likes this.
  34. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

I get asked very often, by everyone from students to 'AAA' studios, why we don't have public release dates for Unity, and the reason is because software development can be unpredictable.
    For example, if we said "X release will be out on 15th July" however some last minute ship-stopping bugs popped up or one of Unity's target platforms has a sudden OS update that breaks a build, then that would delay the release and we risk annoying all the people excited for a 15th July release. We would rather release a new Unity version when it is release-ready, with all the new features and changes as stable as they possibly can be, after our QA team has tested it as much as they possibly can. Of course, we have rough guestimations of when a release may be, but again, a rogue ship-stopper may pop-up that could be fixed in 1 hour or 1 week.

35. Zaladur

Zaladur

This is usually why they DON'T give even a release quarter until they are absolutely certain. They said they were 'trying to get it out in summer', and when that target 'slips' they will get plenty of negative feedback. There are many things worse than 'It will be ready when it's ready", two of which are

- Giving out a date or window, missing that window, and then having angry customers complain about failure to deliver.
    - Giving out a date or window, then rushing the project to meet that window, resulting in a buggy, incomplete release.

36. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

Im just going to point all future "when is X coming out?!" questions to this forum post, thank you!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  37. Stormbreaker

Stormbreaker

They won't get negative feedback if they communicate with us, and tell us why the release date has slipped. Obviously I can't speak for everyone, but I'm very understanding of UT and the huge project they're working on, and unexpected bugs are inevitable which will delay release. But missing an estimated deadline, then completely blanking us is the wrong way to go about things.

38. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

I guessing Unity 5 will be released in 2015.

39. superpig

superpig

I agree that communicating with us stymies a lot of the bad feeling. But if anything I'd say that's the place to focus - if they do regular communication about what's being worked on, how the bug hunts are going, etc, then we don't even really need them to estimate release dates at that point - we can estimate them ourselves, and we can do so in a way that is more relevant to us - e.g. if I don't see any mention of the Mecanim team working on a particular feature that I need then I know that the next release probably won't have it in and so I should expect it after that. And so on.

UndeadButterKnife likes this.
  40. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

I dont need to go into that much depth lol... they dont need to give us product updates to that level, but... "when its done" is sort of a slap i n the face to me. I hate when someone tells me something like "when its done". I cant tell my clients that lol... In the real world if i were to tell my customers that... i lose my customers. They like to be kept in some sort of basic loop. As do I..

I mean I dont need an exact date. But an opinion or possibility of when it might be done within a month or 2 period would be nice. Dont need exacts... And since its an opinion its not set in stone for a release date. So if u miss it then no one really gives a crap because now your opinion might be another month or 2 lol.

Right now as it stands it can be mid 2015, summer, winter, spring.... kinda frustrating when so many of your plans revolve around it. Espeacially that new web deployment. The unity webplayer plugin puts so many people off for web ideas.

41. Dabeh

Dabeh

No..they'll still get negative feedback, tons of it. The product will not be of the same quality if it had been released when it's ready. The employees would probably get burned out too in the process; which isn't good for anyone.

42. Archania

Archania

They did sorta give a time frame. Summer for 4.6 and within 2014 for 5.
    I understand your position there kurylo. But you can't hold up business based on ifs. You gotta do what you have too and budget according. You give a deadline to a client based on the here and now. Anything could happen between that time too. Win the lottery and leave all this stress behind, etc.

43. dvu

dvu

why so many people eager for Unity 5?
    EVERY DAY almost 1.000 games appears in the App Store.
    every day!
    read it again - EVERY DAY!
    Do you really think new light system, new audio system will make your game successful?
    not gameplay?
    Monument Valley could be developed on Unity Free (3.xx, 4.xx) - it uses nothing from cool graphical/audio "Pro" features.
    Angry Birds? - of course!
    Fruit Ninja? - of course also!
    etc
    etc
    etc

may be gameplay is one of the most critical thing?

superpig likes this.
  44. Zaladur

Zaladur

While gameplay is a huge factor in a game's success, and you can certainly make successful games without Pro... There is certainly a lot to be excited about for Unity 5. Not everyone wants to make a game like Angry Birds or Fruit Ninja. Some games, aesthetics, and visions are benefited greatly by Pro features- Not to mention things like Profiler that can really help with your game's performance (and as a result, the gameplay experience).

If you have crappy gameplay and buy Pro hoping it will save you, then yes - your game will still suck. But pro features on top of a strong gameplay foundation can only help your game.

45. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

Maybe cause graphical capabilities matter to some people and we dont all make little ios apps. Heck we dont all make games either. Unity goes beyond games.

Stormbreaker likes this.
  46. Stormbreaker

Stormbreaker

Release dates aside, UT need to work on their communication. They did address it and have said they're working on it, so hopefully we'll see an improvement over time.

In this case they need to take a page from Epic's book. Things can't get much more transparent than the UE4 roadmap:
    https://trello.com/b/gHooNW9I/ue4-roadmap

Each feature is individually listed with expected timeframes and a voting system to prioritise high value features, as well as a developer log so you can see which developer has contributed what and when. Something like this for Unity would be awesome.

resequenced and kurylo3d like this.
  47. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

We have feature/news blogposts going up frequently, our social media platforms are running 24/7 and we have alot of our employees at events all over the world to hands-on demo new features and to help Unity developers. Is their an extra form of communication that we can do, aswell as all of these?

Yes, this is nice to look at but it hasn't been updated in half a month (They have left up alot of things that were shipped last month) and alot of the things on their roadmap are very broad with zero explanation. What does 'Constraint Usability' mean? Why was it on their roadmap? There is no explanation!

der_r likes this.
  48. der_r

der_r

Their "transpancy" is a smoke screen. First there is the problem Andy mentioned. Then there is a mixture of broader goals and miniscule details, blowing the whole thing up to look impressive. But this thing also isn't complete, nor does it reflect their actual progress and workflow.

This Trello board is really just a fancy tool to superficially satisfy the need to know of their community.

In reality, building and working on a huge project is a big-ass creative undertaking and you don't know where things will go or if better opportunities and ideas come up or if things work out in the end. Putting up a board with miniscule details like that might impress some newbies, but it can just as well come back and bite you in the ass, because a community will hold you up to those unspoken promises and if you want to make a detour, it will always look like a public failure and will need a lot of explanation.

We humans don't like the feeling of uncertainty, but this is exactly the place where you have to go with huge and creative processes and projects like this.

I'd rather let the pros do their work and trust them in delivering an excellent product like they did in the past. We don't need this extra baggage.

Andy-Touch likes this.
  49. resequenced

resequenced

No, but the 64-bit editor will stop it crashing with out-of-memory errors on every large scene. And Enlighten will be welcomed because Beast no longer works for the same reason - it fails with out-of-memory errors during baking.

If you're building mobile games, well yeah, you're not impacted so there's no urgency.

50. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Beast is already 64-bit though. (Which isn't to say that Enlighten won't work better.)

--Eric