Search Unity

Unity 5 release date?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PROTOFACTOR_Inc, Mar 20, 2014.

1. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Oh, interesting - hadn't realised that. Got more info? Wish Unity was a little more verbose about this.

2. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

You should learn to read release notes more carefully :p

3. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Uh...they did actually, i think i read about it in the unity tech blog

4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

They need to use big letters and simple words.

5. Deleted User

Deleted User

Lot's of LIGHTS, pretty PICTURES, good PERFORMANCE. :D. yeah first thing I did when I opened U5 was switch the fully deferred renderer on. Not sure how much of an impact it made, but I'm sure it'll come in handy.

There we go me old navigator.

6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Yeah sure, you had to... but I'm talking about the rendering details of it under the hood. I still haven't seen the blog post regarding that specific.

Deleted User likes this.
  7. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Ahhhh...yeah i see....this one is true then, i already ask it couple times in the forum, but haven't got any reply about what and how much the difference between the old deferred and the new one....

8. Zomby138

Zomby138

The blog about the differences between deferred and deferred has been deferred.

9. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

and which one is deferred??

10. Toad

Toad

kurylo3d and shkar-noori like this.
  11. zenGarden

zenGarden

I hope UT5 to keep a simple forward renderer for all 2D games, simple 3D mobile or any people wanting to make a desktop game able to run on old hardware also.

12. Dantus

Dantus

Unity 5 supports forward rendering.

Edit: I am a beta tester.

shkar-noori likes this.
  13. zenGarden

zenGarden

14. superpig

superpig

Yeah the forward renderer's not going anywhere. Deferred rendering can't handle transparency, so forward's going to stay for that at least...

15. zenGarden

zenGarden

Transparency can be done in deffered, some people have done that already. Anyway keeping forward for larger projects needing to target larger compatibility systems is good.

16. superpig

superpig

Got a link that explains how? I've never seen a deferred shading pipeline that didn't just fall back to using forward to render transparent elements.

17. 3agle

3agle

They discussed the features they are working on pretty thoroughly at Unite.
    I know it's not the same a working roadmap doc, but I found it interesting all the same.

18. peter_on

peter_on

Has the open beta started ? preordered a few months back and not heard anything since...

19. superpig

superpig

Of 5? No, not yet.

20. hobstob

hobstob

What the hell is going on? March 18 was the announcement and still no release date no information at all, its being left in the dark about this release. You guys over at unity are taking way to long to let people know about any progress on this release. Has it accrued to anyone that we might of halted of production because of this pending release.

21. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

Beta 6 right now, with the doll demo project. it's not a release date but it's still something. they're working hard on it to make it awesome.

22. zenGarden

zenGarden

And for all other people using Free, will it be some date annoucement ?

23. superpig

superpig

They said on August 20th, in the keynote at the Unite conference, that they expected to ship the first beta to preorder customers "somewhere between 4 and 8 weeks from now."

24. StarManta

StarManta

If you would've asked anyone, anyone, that halting production while waiting for the next version was a good idea.... you'd have been called an idiot. This one's on you.

25. chingwa

chingwa

If there's one thing I've learned about the internet... it's that the only thing people love doing more than calling other people idiots directly, is to call other people idiots indirectly.

26. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

What do you mean by first beta to customers (5.0b1)?
    So is this a separate build outside the release cycle because by then they could be on 5b18 or something?
    Thanks

27. chingwa

chingwa

I'm sure it just refers to public beta. It's in a more controlled private beta right now.

28. superpig

superpig

No, that would be pointless. Pretty sure they meant 'first' from the preorder customers' point of view.

29. hobstob

hobstob

Um I've got a good reason for waiting for release but thanks for your pointless comment lol.

30. Croustibat

Croustibat

Hi all, does anybody know if preordering unity 5 pro automatically gives you an access to the closed beta? I was unable to find this simple information by myself...
    And one more question: is the current unity 5 api in its final form? Or will there be changes until release?

31. Metron

Metron

Nope... no access to closed beta...

32. LaneFox

LaneFox

Honestly, with all the bugs and shortcomings it currently has I doubt anyone would want to start porting their projects to 5.0, or even doing any significant work in it without direct support from UT.

Just wait for the open beta or full release.

33. Croustibat

Croustibat

It was just to get prepared for webgl deployment and to benchmark it properly, for us to be fully ready once final version is out...
    But thanks for the answers Metron and LaneFox

34. superpig

superpig

Going on how things have behaved in past betas: it is likely that there will be (at least) minor API changes throughout the entire beta process.

35. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Give us public beta already :D

36. StarManta

StarManta

There are situations where it would be appropriate to begin development in the beta. "Because I want the latest toys" isn't one of them, of course. But if a) you need one or more of the features coming in 5, and b) don't expect to release within the next ~3-4 months, and c) are content to handle bugs and hurdles that come up... then yes, that project is appropriate for use in the 5 beta.

We did this with 4.6 and it's worked pretty well for us. The time that we've spent wrestling with 4.6's beta pains is, ultimately, dwarfed by the amount of time that having access to the new UI tools has saved us. IMO, that's worth it. At least, it has been in this project.

37. LaneFox

LaneFox

I understand that, but keep in mind 4.6b is public, and significantly more stable than 5.0b

38. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

any word on where we are at with unity 5? summer came and went :/

39. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Whaaaat........summer is end............????!!!!! NOOOOOOO!!!!!!

40. Dantus

Dantus

Unity 5 is currently at beta 7. It is getting better with each version. As far as I know from experience, there is going to be another summer next year.

41. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

Yea well they did say that it would be out this summer.. infact somewhere in the beginning of this same thread. Just hope what they are working on is worth the delay. Cause im about to use marmoset skyshops probes instead of unitys lol.. Seems like marmoset has more features like the fact that they can blend and fade between each other.

42. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

They never said it would be out in the summer. They said 4.6 would be out in the summer (and it was, technically). They said they were under pressure to get Unity 5 out in the summer, which is an entirely different thing. So basically:

Boss: I want Unity 5 done by the end of summer!
    Underling: OK, we'll try.
    Boss: I mean it!
    Underling: ::cringe::
    ... ::time passes:: ...
    Boss: So is it done yet?
    Underling: Um...
    Boss: ::dangerously:: Yeeees?
    Underling: Er...nope. ::ducks::
    Boss: ::swings baseball bat through the air where underling's head was just a moment ago::

--Eric

43. Dantus

Dantus

You are likely referring to this:
    This is not any kind of official statement.

A wise person once said: Never rely on unreleased features.

44. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

Yes, Dantus that is what i was referring too. I guess its my assumption that it would be out since that was the goal. Was the 4-8 weeks thing until the beta is available publicly to preorder customers a goal too or a fact? Cause its hard having to read between the lines on these statements. Its like telling us to get our hopes up and not to jump ship and switch engines. lol

45. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

the engine is improving with every single beta [Currently beta 7], the only thing I'm concerned about is the Reflection Probes, I hope they go the right away about doing reflections.

46. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

Yea im concerned about that myself. The fading between probes per location needs to be in there otherwise its totally unuseable for anything that moves. It would force us to use marmoset skyshop.

shkar-noori likes this.
  47. eskovas

eskovas

Comments like yours ("where is Unity5, they said it would be released by now") are what Unity hoped to avoid and why they didn't use to share much with the community about upcoming developments...
    Unity5 hasn't been released yet for pretty obvious reasons. I believe you and everyone else, wouldn't like to use something that doesn't work properly.
    Just be patient and don't make plans without knowing when it will be available.

shkar-noori and Devil_Inside like this.
  48. Dantus

Dantus

I am looking forward to the public roadmap. Hopefully they are going to create a new section here in the forum just people to complain about features that are not yet available or not in time.

49. superpig

superpig

"It's hard to make predictions, especially about the future." - Markus M. Ronner

(If it were possible for Unity to say something like that and it be 'a fact' then they should probably get out of the software biz and into the futures trading biz).

50. Fuzzy

Fuzzy

I don't really wanna rant about this where is unity 5 thing, too, but slowly i'm starting to wonder if this even stays legally justifiable. I'm not a lawyer and don't even wanna have this appear as a threat.
    But they started taking pre-order money for 5 quite a while ago (one could have done a lot of other things with this money in this unexpected long period of time) and fail to deliver a somewhat reliable releasedate over and over again and we still don't have one and even then just have a beta for pre-orders somewhat in sight, without any confirmed approx date ofc. (maybe - like i think to remember they've dropped an announced public beta before).

I'm just getting a little impatient and start to believe it was just a thing to keep people from switching to UE.