Search Unity

Unity 5 pro license limited.

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by JoakimCarlsson, Jan 15, 2017.

1. JoakimCarlsson

JoakimCarlsson

Hey, I just formatted my PC.
    I installed Unity 5.5 and when I were told to enter my pro license it told me that the license where used to many times and I had to disable the other key?

I've been looking around but I can't see anywhere were I can disable the other keys so I can use it on my PC.

2. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

3. JoakimCarlsson

JoakimCarlsson

guru20 likes this.
  4. guru20

guru20

I have a similar problem!

I upgraded to a new dev environment machine and tried to migrate my Unity Plus account onto it...
    When I signed in, it prompted for a license key. It never did this before, and I never received a license key in my confirmation emails.

I started my Plus subscription in September and it just renewed/billed one week ago for this month...

But when I go into my account on the Unity3D website... there is no sign of it! It does not list my Plus subscription under My Seats, nor under "Manage Other Licenses"
    Subscription Licenses says "No entries found"
    Perpetual Licenses says "You have not yet added any licenses"
    Other Licenses only has an expired Trial 4.x Pro from years ago...

This is extremely frustrating. Developing games/VR is something I do on the side; I have a full-time job, and was looking forward to development and professional training (via the included Unity Courseware -- which ALSO doesn't allow me to sign in) over a 3-day weekend, one of the few opportunities I really have to "plug in" and be productive...

5. guru20

guru20

I also love the circular looping wild goose chase that the account/license page sends you on... it says "If you have previously purchased subscriptions and perpetual licenses through our former Unity store, please click to manage your other licenses." ... but when you click that link, it takes you to a page that says "Manage subscriptions from the new online store" ... which sends you back to the first page!

6. ooblii

ooblii

I think you need to first revoke your seat, and then re-assign it. Happened to me once.

7. guru20

guru20

Shouldn't it be showing up in the licenses/seats list online, though?
    (If my computer died, there needs to be a remote way to revoke the seat, which is I'm assuming through the licenses/seats manager online. My Plus account doesn't show up there anywhere...)

Sounds like both the OP and myself do not even have things listed when they should be listed there in our account page on the store / website...

8. ooblii

ooblii

Have you created an Organization? Perhaps that's the problem. I can find my subscription fairly easily. Did you assign your seat when you bought Plus back in September? I believe that's the only time a license key email is sent.

9. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Contact unity sales or support. They can sort it out.

JoakimCarlsson likes this.
  10. guru20

guru20

Yep, did both of those things (well, I don't recall having to manually assign a seat... but it did let me access Plus, no problem)

Never received a key via email (I saved all emails)

11. guru20

guru20

Okay, contacted support. We'll see when they get back to me.

Game dev is what I do as a side-gig, so other people's "weekends" are my "go time" for Unity... 3 day weekend wasted

12. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

You can still use unity personal, while you sort out your license issue.

13. lloydsummers

lloydsummers

It depends on what "state" the license activation is in. Typically, when Unity has an issue trying to activate a pro license, it will completely block you from accessing Unity. It does not automatically demote you to a personal license until you go down the path of hunting down license files and deleting them.

That issue has been persistent since Unity 4.6.

IMHO, the whole licensing system has never been very well thought out or tested beyond the success state since the freemium option was "bolted on". Although, I'm sure you have your reasons for suggesting he is lying, I would assume that if he could just "continue using the personal edition" - he would have done so.

14. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

I never suggested or implied he was lying. But it usually takes unity a few days to fix license issues. If time is critical or tight, you can revert to personal to continue working while the issues are addressed. I have to the same thing myself, it's trivial to do.

15. lloydsummers

lloydsummers

Okay, you felt that although he has paid for a pro license, contacted support, dug into licensing tabs and attempted to access his courseware, he has never heard of Unity Personal Edition and that just mentioning it would remedy the course ware and license issue.

I also find it interesting that you chose to describe it as a "trivial" thing to do. Personally this is a term I would use cautiously. Just because an issue was trivial in the past for one person, does not mean the same is true for others. By trivializing the issue (pun intended!) it encourages other people not to share their issues and experiences, and very well could make them feel inept or inferior for being unable to resolve them.

It is important to underline that every experience is different. My experience as an old perpetual user is that the license and activation pages have always been challenging to navigate and work through. In addition, users like me need to juggle 5 or more versions of Unity (every Console requires a different build, different license key, and I still need to support platforms that Unity decided to get rid of). Couple this with additional challenges like Unity 5.5. projects being unable to downgrade, my experience is quite a fragmented set of issues for users centered around a nightmarish activation experience. For these reasons, I really wouldn't make too many broad assumptions or trivialization of the many persistent issues. I certainly wouldn't trivialize juggling license codes with Unity 5.1 and 5.0 builds - which are both still required for some platforms.

But again, that is my point of view, assumptive choices are forever your choice to make.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  16. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

You are reading way too much into a simple suggestion.

It is a trivial amount of effort on 5x. The alternative being the inability to use unity at all for several days waiting for a response and resolution from unity. There is no downgrade involved, just deactivating the license. The license is per machine, so regardless of how unity 5x installs, it will work on them all. He won't have access to services, but can still use unity.

I am sorry that people offering suggestions upsets you so much, but if you have an alternate solution, please feel free to add it. Just complaining about the licensing model doesn't really offer any positive help to a frustrating situation.

17. lloydsummers

lloydsummers

Referring to someones experiences as "Upset & Complaining" and an issue as "Trivial" is entirely a choice of perspective. A response of which, I'm assuming you realize, would only result in inciting a defensive response, and continuing to drag out an unnecessary conversation.

In the spirit of defensiveness, I will indulge you, and point out the 7,000+ search results with plenty of unanswered threads including here and here on the issue - including 5.x users that cannot switch to a Personal license. This challenges the statement that it is a trivial issue. I don't think it is a far reach to say that complacency & trivialization of issues is a common problem with Unity representatives and issue addressment.

As for positive help, this is a good idea, lets backtrack to your original intent and complete the suggestion. Trivial solutions is a good idea, but it has very little value without substance to the post. A source of reference goes far. But it would be ill advised to share it without discussing manual activation loss limits / the risks of deleting activation files / the official Unity recommendation to do a reinstall / verifying version compatibility with the current server architecture and sharing other (login) level alternatives for changing to personal edition mode.

As I shared before, I choose not to label an issue as trivial as it breeds complacency and undermines users issues. Imagine for a moment if instead of replying to me, you invested this much attention into the users issue - expanding on your suggestion or even better yet - engaging Unity development for improvement.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  18. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Only if you are prone to misinterpretation. (Such as suggesting I thought he was lying based on a few word suggestion). Please read more carefully. I never said the issue was trivial, I said removing the license was a trivial effort. The rest is self evident.

Enough derailment, back to the topic.