Search Unity

Unity 5 personal does not launch past project select.

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by tynew, Mar 4, 2015.

1. tynew

tynew

Hello,

So I click to create a new project, I see the regular package import loading bar then nothing happens. The Unity process is still running in task manager and I can't even kill the process. This means in order for me to restart or shutdown my computer I have to manually do it because the Unity process doesn't get killed.

Specs:
    i5 2500k
    HD 6950
    8GB ram
    Windows 7 professional SP1 64bit

The Unity 5 beta was able to work even though it crashed often.

Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  2. milton_g_mendez

milton_g_mendez

Mine wont even get the splash screen that says Unity 5 :/

3. Alabatross

Alabatross

A friend of mine is having this same issue and has been asking me for help - that's how I found this thread.

4. Ofx360

Ofx360

I'm having a similar issue. I select my project from the Project window but Unity never loads up. There is a process running but no window ever comes up.

I've tried launching it directly from the .unity file and it brings up the splash screen, but now it's just sitting there.

(Windows 8.1, Core i7-4790K, 16gb ram)

5. Vana

Vana

Thought I'd have a look at Unity 5 (Personal 64bit) this morning.

Tried importing a 4.6 project... editor never managed to open & the editor process refuses to killed... rebooted.
    Tried starting a new project with standard assets.... editor never managed to open & the editor process refuses to be killed... rebooted.
    Tried opening the new project and low and behold... an editor window opened... tried to change the build settings.. editor locked up.. refuses to gracefully shut down and of course, the process wont DIE... rebooted

I can't keep on rebooting my system to figure out whats what, at the very least its got to crash gracefully before I waste more time on it.

V

6. tynew

tynew

Bumping this for visibility! I hope if anyone has similar problems and knows how to figure it out please help!

7. Pdkkid188

Pdkkid188

I am having the same issue, tried multiple times, but to no avail it would not launch past the splash, and help would be greatly appreciated!

8. efreet

efreet

Was having the same issue but I could kill the process. Completely disabled my antivirus & firewall (avast in my case) and the editor opened. Quit unity, renabled the antivirus & firewall, reloaded unity and it works fine now.
    Hope that helps someone.

BrandyStarbrite likes this.
  9. tynew

tynew

It seems like a similar issue but not the same one. I disabled my firewall but nothing launches and I still cannot kill the process.

10. juliannlum

juliannlum

I had it crashing after the splashscreen with no process left behind. Updated my Nvidia drivers and voila, it started working.

11. tynew

tynew

@juliannlum
    Your problem is similar but still different as you don't have an unkillable process.

I just updated my drivers but it has not fixed the problem.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  12. Josec

Josec

Same issue here. When I create a project, it doesn't start and I can't kill the process. Unity 5.0.0f4 64-bit.

(Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, Intel Core i7 2600, AMD Radeon HD6570, 8GB RAM)

13. QWERTYOU

QWERTYOU

Same problem!
    Windows 7 Ultimate, 64-bit Intel Core i7-4500U, AMD Radeon R9 M270X , 8GB RAM

14. Alabatross

Alabatross

Just had my friend try this and no luck

15. QWERTYOU

QWERTYOU

Deactivate Antivirus(and Firewall if if does not work). And voila!

16. Alabatross

Alabatross

no luck for me here either ugh

17. dogboydog

dogboydog

I'll just add myself to this thread and bump it.

Just to summarize, I have the exact same issue, unkillable process and all. I've tried uninstalling and deleting all traces of Unity (registry, app data, program data,... ), disabling my antivirus, and reinstalling several times. Also updated my graphics drivers. Nothing helps. On Windows 7.

This is my latest log file:
    http://pastebin.com/BB4Z20FV

No error seems to be documented as far as I can see. Sorry to blow up the forum about this, but I was rather excited about being able to use the new version and this is a pretty major error. The immortal process is especially troubling...

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  18. Strom_CL

Strom_CL

Getting the same thing, Unity 4.6 still loads just fine, Unity 5 will not open. Using Personal Edition, I can't open an existing project nor can I create a new one. Virus scanners disabled, video drivers updated, this worked a few days ago and nothing has changed.

I'm seeing a Unity folder being created in my temp files but no files or logs being generated inside. :(

19. dogboydog

dogboydog

Isn't that the weirdest part? Mine was working for a day or so as well. Then when I came back this weekend this started happening and there seems to be no way to fix it. Oh well. I've been working on other parts of my project that don't require the new features. Always something to do. Pretty major bug though

20. Strom_CL

Strom_CL

I just uninstalled, reinstalled, and reactivated the license and was asked a series of questions that I don't remember being asked before. So maybe they just invalidated a bunch of PE licenses in order to get people to resubmit? Shrug, it's working now, just annoying to have to reinstall it like that when nothing on my end was changed.

dogboydog likes this.
  21. dogboydog

dogboydog

What all did you do to uninstall? I was hoping that would work for me but it hasn't so far. I tried uninstalling like I did before and cleaning everything out etc. which didn't work, then I was wondering what you meant by "reactivated the license" and googled around, and found out about the "PACE Anti-Piracy" folders, which I then deleted and tried to reinstall again. Still have the unkillable process. Did you do anything else differently? I never got any questions, nor did I ever explicitly do anything to get a license besides download the installer.

22. MatousJezek

MatousJezek

Having the same issue as mentioned above :/ Unity opened my project once and it worked fine, but after closing it and opening the project again Unity crashes immediately. I tried reinstallation of Unity, switching of firewall/antivirus but no result.

I alsho experienced the unkillable process issue.

WIN 7, Intel I5, 4GB RAM

Could someone please report this as a bug to Unity team? I can't because it seems you need Unity running to do that :D

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  23. dogboydog

dogboydog

I did, but I think you can too. If you look around in your installation folder you'll find the Unity bug reporter application which is separate from the editor.

24. MatousJezek

MatousJezek

Aah I see, thanks.

I think I fixed it. I started a new project, closed and opened it again and it worked. Seemed like the problem is not in unity, but in our project. I deleted the whole main project and updated it from our net-repostiory. Unity rebuilded the project again, I saved it and after that it is working.

Whoever has the issue with project not opening, it might be corrupted after it was updated from unity 4 to 5.

25. dogboydog

dogboydog

I'm glad it's working for you, but my Unity 5 doesn't even work on the example project or new projects, so I don't think it's my project that's doing it.

26. Alabatross

Alabatross

Yea same, not loading any existing/new projects at all with countless reinstalls

27. Strom_CL

Strom_CL

I just ran through the Uninstall through Add/Remove Programs then manually deleted the remaining Unity folder from my C:\Program Files folder then ran the installer (as Admin to make sure) and then activated like normal. My laptop also stopped working in the same way yesterday and a full uninstall/re-install worked for it as well.

28. dogboydog

dogboydog

Interesting. I might have to try again running the installer as Administrator, but I'm never sure that'll make a difference since I'm the administrator and I have UAC off. I deleted even more residual stuff than you and it still didn't work. I'll try that when I get home, though I'm not too optimistic about it working :/ . This time I'll be sure to remember to save the installer to a permanent location so I don't have to download it every time. Thanks

29. dogboydog

dogboydog

Wondering this: Of the people with this problem, how many of you saw the license survey when installing (such as the one described in Striph's post saying his issue was fixed or in this image from another thread ? I never saw it in all the times I installed Unity 5.

Don't know if it's related though.

30. Alabatross

Alabatross

Maybe it's because I already had a Unity account and was signed into the RC's but I didn't see any survey, but mine also works. I'm not sure if my friend saw it or not though

31. dogboydog

dogboydog

Okay, as expected running the installer as administrator did nothing to help. Interestingly after I deleted the PACE Anti-Piracy folders, the several reinstall attempts I've made since then have not replaced those folders. So I guess those folders were only created the very first time when the program actually ran.

Is anyone at Unity investigating this? It'd be nice to see an acknowledgement of some kind that somebody's working on this

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  32. Alabatross

Alabatross

This seems like one of the more popular major problems on this board, so hopefully someones looking into it

33. dogboydog

dogboydog

Yeah, hopefully that's the case, but I just wonder why there's been no official comment on this for almost a week

34. Vana

Vana

Had another try installing unity 5 (64bit) personal. I still have this problem and had to give up.
    I did a bit more investigation, and it seems the unity process is waiting for shader compiler process to finish.. which in turn is apparently waiting for network traffic...
    The whole tree just sits there doing nothing...however the shader processes are killable.. but the main process stubbornly refuses to die..
    again I don't have a lot of time to invest in fault finding, please post here if you figure out the problem. (its not antivirus)

35. dogboydog

dogboydog

Interesting to see what's going on under the hood. I wonder why that deadlock is not happening for everyone... Hope we get a solution to this soon.

36. dogboydog

dogboydog

I can't try this until tonight, but maybe you could try it: considering one person's problem seems to have been with the license, and you're saying the process is waiting for a network request, what happens if you start Unity with no internet access (unplug Ethernet and disable wifi)

Won't be a solution but might be a temporary workaround.

Could someone from Unity please acknowledge this issue? ...

37. dogboydog

dogboydog

Starting Unity with no internet access doesn't let it start up without the unkillable process. No luck there.

38. dogboydog

dogboydog

39. IndyDev

IndyDev

I was having the same exact problem described here and after many reinstalls and tests I discovered the issue was with the firewall. It needs to be set up to allow in/out communications for the Unity.exe process and it was only allowing outgoing and refusing incoming communications.

Most firewalls block incoming requests by default even when the application is deemed safe because most applications work as clients and for security reasons unrequested communications are dropped silently. Unity has a server and therefore it needs full in/out communications. Without it just hangs waiting for the network to respond to it's requests at 127.0.0.1 (aka localhost) while the firewall keeps dropping every package received and thus creating and endless loop.

Please check your firewalls.

SC-Hypster likes this.
  40. dogboydog

dogboydog

Thanks for the help. However my only firewall (Windows Firewall) is turned off completely. Disabling MalwareBytes protection doesn't help either. It could be something else is blocking it, I guess, but I really don't know what it could be?

41. tynew

tynew

I too have my firewall completely turned off and it still does not work.

42. dogboydog

dogboydog

Hey everyone with this problem! Thanks to r/techsupport, I have a workaround. EDIT: NOPE, look at below post

Try installing this beta 32 bit version of 5. I can't find any way besides this link to find a 32 bit installer if you're on 64 bit, but someone found this link for me.

http://beta.unity3d.com/download/beea3a590379/Windows32EditorInstaller/UnitySetup32.exe

Thus far, it's working perfectly. The problem we're having is still very mysterious, but at least we can do this. I did do a little messing around with looking at the connections, and closed all the connections I could of the unkillable processes with this utility called currports, but there were a bunch remaining with "Listening" status with the address 0.0.0.0 (still can't kill the processes after the "established" and "close/wait" connections were closed) if that's helpful for fixing the bug in the main version.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
  43. dogboydog

dogboydog

Wow, nevermind. Not only are there a few bugs in my Editor when trying to use Unity 5 ("import package" menu is empty, I got a few errors about internal Unity stuff having null reference exceptions etc.), but the pro features that were added to the full version of 5 are not enabled in that beta, so it's basically like using the old version. Therefore the above post is NOT really a workaround. Still stuck with the same problem.

Edit: Actually, just found out my web builds with this Unity 5 beta don't run, so I'm going to have to revert to 4.6 again anyway.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
  44. tynew

tynew

Yeah I downloaded that link, shadows don't even work for me in game view. It's interesting how common the problem is yet it isn't really solveable yet and this is a free program we are trying to get working.

45. dogboydog

dogboydog

Yeah, for some reason I didn't even think about the fact that the beta wouldn't have the new features until today.

By the way, I wonder if this is at all related to the fact that the 64 bit installer doesn't remove your 32 bit installations? Although probably not considering some of my re-installation attempts involved completing removing any trace of Unity from my computer. I got word that this thread is forwarded to QA so maybe we will get an update or solution at some point. I'm happy knowing someone is going to look at it at least

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  46. tynew

tynew

I think that case would not apply, I used revo uninstaller with unity and 'search everything' to completely remove any old unity files. It is good know someone is looking at this and hopefully its fixed in the next patch!

47. dogboydog

dogboydog

By the way, just saw that there was a patch released on Monday. I know it doesn't mention our issue, but I thought I'd try it anyway. Downloaded and clean installed the 64 bit version of it, which had the same issue. Then tried the 32 bit version, same issue. With every conceivable firewall, antivirus, etc. off, still doesn't work.

Edit: Also tried deleting the .ulf file in C:\ProgramData, since I didn't know about that before and another guy in this thread said his license was messed up. Didn't help.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  48. Alabatross

Alabatross

no luck with the patch here either

49. dogboydog

dogboydog

Yeah. Tried the one released yesterday too, no dice. I was hoping deleting the ULF file would do it since the other guy above mentioned the issue was with his license, but nope. It makes me sad to have all these new features available but not be able to use them.

50. Alabatross

Alabatross