Search Unity

Bug Unity 5 no longer opens

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Stranger-Games, Jan 25, 2023.

1. Stranger-Games

Stranger-Games

Hi,

I know it's not supported anymore, but I have an old project using Unity 5. I installed it through unity hub but unfortunately it stops at the splash screen forever.
    I tried creating a new empty project using unity hub with Unity 5.4.1p3 and I got the same problem of stopping at splash screen. So that rules out the project as the cause for the problem.

upload_2023-1-25_10-12-13.png

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thank you for advance.

2. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

I still keep U5 running on an old laptop just for grins, but that laptop can never be updated past MacOS Mojave.

The above looks like a Windows machine so perhaps the same thing goes for Windows? Not sure how compatible older binaries are with Windows.

As long as you have proper source control and / or backups, you might as well try installing a recent LTS version (try Unity2020 LTS first) and letting Unity upgrade anything it needs to. Unity is pretty good with its core functionality when upgrading. It's usually all the third party crud that fails.

Stranger-Games likes this.
  3. mgear

mgear

similar issue is where it hangs for searching license,
    i think running the unity alone (instead of launching project) did open that old license activation dialog.

*kill the unity process first

or check editor.log file for info
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/LogFiles.html

Stranger-Games likes this.
  4. Stranger-Games

Stranger-Games

That worked! Thanks!