Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 5 - No dynamic shadows when using Mixed light

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by Kubold, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Kubold

Kubold

What is "Mixed" light supposed to do? I guess it's supposed to get both things mixed, right? Dynamic shadows and GI "goodness"?

Well, I don't really see any dynamic lighting. "Mixed" lights behave exactly like "Baked" lights. No dynamic shadows. Is it broken? (just want to add: enviro is set to Static, moving characters are not, Both GI modes are ON, lights are set up to "Mixed", lighting is baked - everything is done properly. It just doesn't work properly).

It's 2015, so a game with no dynamic shadows is just weird, no matter how good the baked stuff looks. Considering Mixed is broken or just impossible in Unity, what is a way to approach lighting the levels? Lighting the whole level with 500 real-time lights? Am I supposed to set the real-time lights Quality limit from 4 to 1000?

2. Sventsh

Sventsh

Great to see a question on this. I would love to learn more in depth what experienced developers do to solve this.

My experience is that the mixed light gives really nice, soft static shadows (as expected), coarse dynamic shadows on other dynamic objects (as expected), but then no dynamic shadows at all on static objects (not expected, I guess?).

What I then did was to add a real time light. This will add to all types of shadows (unless culling), but now I have three completely different types of shadows.

3. SunnySunshine

SunnySunshine

Mixed makes dynamic objects receive light.

4. Kubold

Kubold

That's all? No shadows, huh? It's either all baked and no shadows or all realtime?

EDIT:

A Unity crew member said yesterday, on other thread:

"We will fix the mixed mode shadows soon, promise!".

Finally, I can stop testing and thinking if I do something wrong. It's just not working yet :)

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  5. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

yes it a bug, and happens on all the computers I tested on,