Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 5: loading assets from the asset store breaks my project.

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by rexxthunder, Apr 16, 2015.

1. rexxthunder

rexxthunder

I'm and Asset Developer. It used to be the case that you could download an asset from the store and it would overwrite existing files of the same name and folder in the project. This was actually useful in some cases.

Now it seams that if you load a project that has a duplicate file, it renames the new one with a "_1" extension, the precedes to break all the script references that used the previous renamed file in the asset, and a butt load of error come up.

This is important for me because I make assets that share general script files across them. This means everyone that uses my tools are going to assume it's broken after they bought it.

What's the thinking behinds this?

2. rexxthunder

rexxthunder

Ok, I've discovered that it does this to new files only. My question is, how the heck are people supposed to update their assets in their project if their going to have to go through every asset, rename and re-assign the new script to the their project? Just put in an overwrite existing file option on import.

3. rexxthunder

rexxthunder

Ah, nice. One of my prefabs it messed up lost all of it metadata. Come on, is Unity 5 even done?