Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 5 - lighting, lightmapping and bugs

Discussion in 'Unity 5 Pre-order Beta' started by homerender, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Seith

Seith

Beta 20 is the first one I use so I didn't know that! Interesting.

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

AFAIK it's when they converted the image effects from unity script to c# the bugs popped up on post fx.

3. SpiriTx

SpiriTx

Graphics QA Unity Technologies

Kasper told that this should get fixed after they finish up implementing some stuff, hopefully it will be so

I've checked the database and there is a bug case for this issue already.

Thanks for all these findings!

KRGraphics likes this.
  4. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I've encountered this light leak myself and one way I have worked around this is modeling a small bevel where the edges of the walls meet. This also happens in offline renderers too. Nothing on earth is a perfect edge... just a small bevel on geometry will help a bit.

5. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

Nice interiors, but I have a quick question. Why are you using Tonemapping without HDR? And shouldn't the Bloom effect come in before Tonemapping is applied, so it could use the HDR information of the frame?

6. homerender

homerender

I'm not use tonemapping without hdr :confused:

I have no answer for the second question o_O

7. homerender

homerender

Hi guys, i send new bugreport (case 666490)

And i found some new bug now, but I do not know how to describe it in words... Problems with Unity and folders in explorer.

I think my first problem in bug report and this problem with folders is linked

8. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

Hi! Have you tried beta 21 with final gathering enabled? This should look much better now.

9. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Aw, man... I have to try it out... I also usually add a small bevel at the corners of my geometry... that also fixes light leaks...

10. homerender

homerender

Sorry, I left for a week. Now i tried to bake in beta 22, but unfortunately everything looks exactly the same as before.

11. homerender

homerender

I have 2 problems with glass (transparent/fade) material:

transparent/fade not work with DOF

If i make for all little spheres glass material - its looks terrible. They fighting with vase material and each other on different angles:

12. homerender

homerender

New problem. With lightmapping. I add model of robot to the scene, make it static, make automatic lightmap UV's, but its not baking! Do i need to bugreport?

13. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

Transparent objects don't write to depth-buffer. It's an interesting problem though, I'd wish to know if there are workarounds.
    As for the robot, I think skinned meshes can't be baked.

14. homerender

homerender

It seems right, but it's not very good ...

15. 3agle

3agle

If it's going to be static(baked), there's no point in it being a skinned mesh, just make it a mesh renderer, then it will bake.

Edit: otherwise, you could use light probes to give it the baked lighting, but honestly it's just wasteful to have a static skinned mesh in a scene.

16. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Yep. For now just set the scene with light probes for the robot. And you are making such beautiful arch viz renders.

17. homerender

homerender

Another bug with lightmap :(

I have a coffee table near the sofa. It has a simple specular shader, marked as static but...

18. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

Looks like the table emits light - that is totally unexpected... Could you please file a bug report with the scene so we can have a look and fix it?

shkar-noori likes this.
  19. homerender

homerender

I fix it by create this object:

20. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

Please file a proper bug report so we can have a look at your scene, in the state where the table looks wrong. Thanks!

21. homerender

homerender

Case 673266

22. homerender

homerender

@KEngelstoft What about screen flickering when using reflection probes? I think this problem began to appear less frequently, but it has remained.

23. SpiriTx

SpiriTx

Graphics QA Unity Technologies

It hasn't been fixed yet, but disabling Tonemapping or HDR while working should help out for now.

24. homerender

homerender

But i need all of this)

25. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

Hi! Thank you for posting the bug number.

We found and fixed an issue where NaN's could be generated and HDR and other screen space effects could amplify them so they would cover most of the screen, resulting in black blotches. I am not yet sure if this fix have made it into RC3 or if it will appear in the next one. You can try disabling MSAA as a workaround for now.

26. homerender

homerender

Glad to hear it!

27. Zomby138

Zomby138

I remember having that issue way back in like beta16 or something. It was fixed in one of the betas around that time. I don't see what that has to do with this.

28. homerender

homerender

Strange. I test all betas and this problem will be in any.

29. Zomby138

Zomby138

My point is, I think KEngelSoft is talking about a totally separate issue.

30. homerender

homerender

I found new two bugs.

First: All lightmaps is baked but when i change view mode to baked, directionality, albeto e.t.c all seems buggy, not normally. Its happened if i bake lightmaps, close Unity and start again. Case 673959

Second:

I change view mode "Baked" and turn off "Show resolution". Why all seems like waves? Compressed is off.

shkar-noori likes this.
  31. Zomby138

Zomby138

I noticed those waves recently as well. Not sure how long they've been around but I can definitely confirm that bug.

32. homerender

homerender

But the fact that we were given the opportunity to see lightmaps on a white material - this is my old dream, thanks to the developers)

33. Gokcan

Gokcan

What you mean here? Do we allowed to see lightmaps on white materials? I see those waves so much since my scene has flat colors on walls(especially on white surfaces).

34. homerender

homerender

Earlier in Unity 4, we can see only the resolution lightmaps. Now, in Unity 5 in the "baked" mode all materials become white. It is very convenient to adjust the lighting. When I worked with architectural visualization, I always did it in 3dsmax. Now it's easy to do and also in Unity without changing the assigned materials.

35. Gokcan

Gokcan

Why it is not enabled in real time GI?:(

36. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

I don't know if it's just me, but even though i set the AO slider to zero, there's still a stage where it says Bake AO, is this normal?

37. homerender

homerender

Something changes with GI or lightmapping on 5.0.0f3. It seems better, more light. And all seems better. Good job!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
    Gokcan and shkar-noori like this.
  38. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

We have a fix for this, and it should speed up baking when you don't use AO :)

shkar-noori and homerender like this.
  39. homerender

homerender

40. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

Great, RC4 fix maybe?

41. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

The performance improvement didn't make it for RC4. Fortunately patch releases will resume immediately after we ship 5.0, so we will have that included then.

shkar-noori likes this.
  42. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

yep, I knew we would never see RC5 :D

ImpossibleRobert likes this.
  43. homerender

homerender

:D

44. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

Anti-Aliasing and correct reflections are missing...still looks good, but it could look way more beautiful with proper reflections and Anti-Aliasing

Roni92 likes this.
  45. homerender

homerender

AA not work in Deferred. AA as posteffect looks not very good. About reflections - i dont know how i can make more realistic reflection using Reflection Probes. Only maybe if using SSLR but Unity not have it. Need a custom shader.

I showed these models very close, in fact this model of the second plan and nobody not will be looking so close. At a distance and in the dynamics does not look bad.

shkar-noori likes this.
  46. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

The models don't look bad, its the shading.. it was just a little bit of reminder for unity to let the love out for Anti-Aliasing...

47. homerender

homerender

Unfortunately when using Deferred rendering it is impossible to do AA apart АА as post effect :(

shkar-noori likes this.
  48. Gokcan

Gokcan

Guys, I want to ask a question. I also suffer from AA. When I use deffered rendering in my scenes, scenes becomes really bad in terms of AA. I can easily see the differences between forward and defered. However, I am analyzing viking demo project. I see almost no difference between forward and defered. I started to think my arch viz models are not so good modeled. What I want to ask is that what is the difference between my scenes and viking demo project. SOme techniques while modeling has affect on AA? Or what else affect all these?

49. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

I don't think SSLR is going to help here. Those items reflect the part of the scene, which is not in your screen space.

50. DanSuperGP

DanSuperGP