Search Unity

Official Unity 5 Launch

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by John-Riccitiello, Mar 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mgear

mgear

Is there any news about roadmap somewhere?

shkar-noori likes this.
  2. fearfactory

fearfactory

I tried that, but actually the MobileBloom.js defeated another Bloom I had.

The biggest issue is actually packages where Static Batching worked perfectly, no longer work for me and jumped draw calls 10x. Especially in this package. That doesn't really make sense?

3. fearfactory

fearfactory

4. twobob

twobob

Hi.
    Before I could right click on the process in Task Manager and choose Bug Report? <-- This procedure

Now I can't, has this functionality been rescinded based on my license or is it just no longer there.

Would be a shame, since my install has hung twice in the last two days and it would be nice to report why.

I recognise that there is much voodoo rattling around at the moment regarding the changes in licensing, I am not looking to add to it. So - to be clear - has this functionality been removed or what?
    It was a Unity Tech that told me how to do it. I could go find the post. EDIT: Nope thread has gone

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  5. orb

orb

The bug reporter is still a separate program, as it's always been. You can just launch it from the Unity installation directory and write your report there. They haven't taken that away :)

6. Fubiou

Fubiou

Well we have a better IDE? Seems like the .JS code folding bug on monodevelop is still persistent, it is like this since 2011 :/ I miss Unitron so much!

7. ZO5KmUG6R

ZO5KmUG6R

@That one who said lighting looks worse. I beg to differ ;). (Forza model, hopefully not against the rules)

8. twobob

twobob

I think this is missing the point - that I was clearly misremembering. EDIT: I created a dump and attached it manually. I thought they had automated this process. Clearly my meds are wearing off.

Thanks

#677772 it is then.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  9. orb

orb

If you can't get it to work any other way (missing Report Bug menu in Unity, crashing horribly and not offering to report it), the manual run method is the way.

twobob likes this.
  10. twobob

twobob

Yeah, This is one of those cases where doing something once a while ago does not make me an expert. Who knew :)

My bad

11. Moonjump

Moonjump

I still use Unitron. Download an old version of Unity and copy it out (I copied it out before it was removed, I'd already experienced Monodevelop).

12. Samol

Samol

I am on Mac, I chose to install the example project but I don't know where it has been installed nor what its name is, any idea?

13. Khazzack

Khazzack

Not sure if this will help you at all, but the default for Windows is "C:\Users\Public\Documents\Unity Projects\Standard Assets Example Project". Maybe you can try locating the Mac version now you know the default Windows?

I have installed and downloaded the Unity 5, Personal (free version), after watching this video (
    ) It's the Unite 2014 video explaining networking in Unity 5, i'm really keen to get going on my project, but I have this issue.

In "Add Component" I have no Network Component like this guy has, is this a bug / issue or only for people who buy the license?

14. QA-for-life

QA-for-life

Unity Technologies

The new networking is not in 5.0, but will come in a later 5.x release.

twobob likes this.
  15. Khazzack

Khazzack

Oh darn... I was so excited. Back to Photon I guess... Urrghhhh....
    P.S. I'm loving what you guys have done so far with Unity 5 :)

16. jashan

jashan

It's under /Users/Shared/Unity/Standard Assets Example Project

17. AaronC

AaronC

Regards the splash screen, it would be a bit weird to be part of a small studio team, earning less than the $100K per year, and still get the team effort branded as "Personal"... Its not a personal effort, its a team effort. An indie team eg "independent".

But I care more about the 10.6 compatibility. What was the story there?

18. goat

goat

That's a valid point about the 'Personal Edition' moniker perhaps 'Community Edition' would work. And 'Community Edition' is much more democratic sounding the 'Personal Edition', which is well not democratic at all, democracy comes from your behavior and cooperation with other people and other life. The fact that most games published with a 'Community Edition' will be one person efforts does not distract from the fact that Unity is very much a community effort not to forget all the great Blender, Gimp, and other community efforts out there. All human organizations are community efforts.

As far as using a moniker like 'Indie Edition', Unity Tech may decide to do that but I think it's the least indicative of truth in labeling. Independence takes money and resources and even the richest people on the planet are still very, very dependent on community efforts and community resources to enjoy their 'independence'. Only a goat would eat paper money and enjoy it, and yes, money tastes good, thank you; but for everyone else, they want something good in exchange for that money.

As far as 10.6 compatibility, that is dependent on your video card. I was all hopeful but I forgot that anything less than an ATI, NVidia or Intel HD Graphic GPU won't cut it with Unity 5 so I'll be spending $600 or $700 for a new Mac Mini this fall. :-(

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  19. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

...So, from all this talk, I am guessing the "report a problem with unity" option is now pro-only? o_O

In that case, how does one file a bug report? :D

Speaking of bugs, has anyone noticed that the "mixed" mode for the Lighting's broken? (i.e. dynamic shadows don't appear when they're supposed to in full deferred)

EDIT: Some crowd in a room decided to litter this thread with more posts, thus answering my bug reporting question, so... just ignore the first bit! ;)

20. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

On this issue... is OnGUI affected also? or just this?Never mind this, it was a stupid question... ;)

Fortunately, my mobile game doesn't use the new UI for in-game GUI, the legacy GUI's used. (Didn't bother to switch the GUI for gameplay, so I guess my laziness paid off... :D)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
    fearfactory likes this.
  21. goat

goat

They removed it from the program menu, but you can invoke for Unity or browse to it using file manager of your OS, or add it to your program menu again if you prefer. Windows is called: UnityBugReporter.exe

22. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

It's not.

The same way as always.

--Eric

ZO5KmUG6R likes this.
  23. ZO5KmUG6R

ZO5KmUG6R

i don't know what you guys are talking about. it's still there :|

24. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@Eric, @goat,@aaro4130:
    Welp, you answered my question! :)

And yea, everyone says it's gone,yet... I have the "Report a bug" option there too! Or maybe the catch is that it doesn't work, like the so-called "Make MMO" button they supposedly removed... ;)

EDIT: Yep, just tested the dialog... WORKS! :)
    But how come the window's so big now? Just curious... :D

25. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

They rewrote the bug reporter app and it has quite a bit more stuff in it, hence the need for a bigger window.

--Eric

26. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

I thought it was trying to imitate Windows 8.1 modern UI... ;)

27. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

At least on OS X, it's not really that much bigger.

bugreport.png

--Eric

28. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Might as well showcase the modification I did to the procedural sky shader:
    Screen_Unity5_Sky_Procedural_With_Cubemap.png
    Basically, I made an adaption that takes a cubemap and mixes it with the procedural bits so one can add clouds to the sky. :)

Socrates, Baldinoboy and SAOTA like this.
  29. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

Can y'all just tell us, how much money are we going to have to spend to get the complete UNET? Y'all vagueness is frustrating. Just like with the whole pricing fiasco. (that wasn't last minute, but we still kept taking your money) How is anyone supposed to plan for future development?

30. im

im

Giant shout-out to all those who made U5 possible, great job!

and many thanks for adding all the Pro features in U5 Personal!

Baldinoboy likes this.
  31. Woodlauncher

Woodlauncher

They never said or even implied that the new networking would be in 5.0. Maybe you shouldn't plan based on wishful thinking and fairie dust Victor.

32. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

I don't know if this is the right place to ask either, but what version of Unity5.0's UI is?

33. Archania

Archania

It should be the latest and greatest.

34. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

but is it?

35. twobob

twobob

if you include the relevant lib I would guess so

36. Neoku

Neoku

Well, I worked many years with diferent game engines, but now with Unity 5 totally free and with new tools as PBS I love it, thanks and when I can I buy the Pro license.

37. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

Did i say 5.0? They said 5.x, but made NO promises in any phase past 1... So my question was to get up to phase 3 on UNET. How much are we going to have to pay? This is important information. Is it not?

38. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

Maybe you should leave the sarcastic trolling comments at the door?

39. Woodlauncher

Woodlauncher

Sorry, that was hostile of me. I apologize.
    I thought you believed they had said it'd come in 5.0 since you quoted a post related to that.

Anyway, I doubt they'll release any pricing information beyond what they have already given us ("there will be a free tier for the networking cloud stuff", I believe they said at some point) until much closer to the launch of each of the phases.

40. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

I am actually referring to Phase 2 or 3 not coming until Unity 6. Which I will almost bet my salary on, is going to happen. If it is a possibility, they need to come clean NOW.

41. goat

goat

Yes, it is. My game works fine with the UI introduced in 4.6 and present in 5.0. You can download

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/25468

and see for yourself.

It did make my Windows Standalone executable increase in since from 14MB with Unity Free 4.6 to 18MB with Unity Personal 5.0.

Now that Unity 5 Personal is so big, I'm wanting a book of the manual pages after they add networking and such things.

42. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Version: 1.1 (Nov 20, 2014) I think thats pretty old, and he not talking about UI Sample assets, he means the uGUI package.

BTW seems Unity started working on 5.1 alpha already, surpised.

djweinbaum and shkar-noori like this.
  43. Image3d

Image3d

Hi,

Can't find the Physics Material package. where is located know in verison 5 ?

44. goat

goat

I'd like to a list of what's be scheduled for a minor release, not the actually dates:

a. networking???
    b. new terrain system???
    c. I know elements of lighting systems have been but I don't know how many methods or even what they are???

anything else?

45. goat

goat

The poster wasn't asking about patch level of the new UI and whether it's reached feature and API equivalence of the GUISystem of 4.6.3p3. If they were they need to ask that.

Modules...
    Unity Extensions
    GUISystem 5.0.0
    5.0.0 (downloaded)
    IL2CPP 0.10.1
    0.10.1 (downloaded)

So it appears the GUISystem had to be implemented twice and IL2CPP only once. Well, Unity stated that.

Well, so my game runs using the new GUISystem 4.6.3p3 and the same game still runs in Unity 5 using GUISystem 5.0.0. Not many folk have games that could be candidates for inclusion into a regression test for GUISystem and mine isn't.

I won't venture a guess what will be included in Unity 5.1 but it's not holding me back. That'll release before I do.

46. Tomza

Tomza

I know maybe it sounds strange but I NEED A UNITY SPLASH SCREEN FOR MY PROJECT. I'm a Pro user and I'm finishing my project now. I wish to have the Unity Splash Screen at the beginning of my Demo to show what the game engine is used. Without 'personal', 'indie', etc., just a splash screen with the Unity logo and can be the inscription: 'Powered by Unity' or something like that. Are there any official 2D graphics with the Unity logo? Wallpapers or something? Very good quality to use it on big monitors?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
    shkar-noori and SunnySunshine like this.
  47. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

http://unity3d.com/public-relations/downloads

Tomza likes this.
  48. Genkidevelopment

Genkidevelopment

Sorry if this question has been asked before.. But... Do I have to download unity 5.0? and will it be compatible with the project I have going on in 4.6?

Thanks

49. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Yes, otherwise Unity employees will track you down, then sit on you and tickle you until you give in.

Maybe; it depends what you're doing.

--Eric

that-steve-guy and Socrates like this.
  50. Genkidevelopment

Genkidevelopment

Hmm I'm worried now... getting ready for a tickling :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.