Search Unity

Official Unity 5 Launch

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by John-Riccitiello, Mar 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neoku

Neoku

some PBS library? thanks.

2. aaron95j

aaron95j

Am I the only one having serious problems with no concave colliders (without kinematic rigidbodies)?

I am extremely happy with the new Unity, I'd just like to ask is this something that will be 'addressed' further down the track or not?
    I just don't want to start working on a complete rebuild of my models just to have it re-implemented. Or should I settle for a temporary workaround?

Thanks, and good work!

3. Almaj

Almaj

Turns out that I have to manually activate the tab Lighting window, this is confusing because you do not get the same window configuration out of the box, and I'm not a Unity user, so unity it's completely alien to me right now.

By the way, I'm sorry for what I said before, of course unity is not useless, but some people here responded me with harcore fanboyism calling me troll, again, I did not insult anyone so why are you that doesn't know me are insulting me? this did never happens on UE4 community, just saying, again sorry for any trouble caused to this community.

Regards

4. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

It is fine man. Sorry for being a jerk before. Was going crazy playing with Unity 5. Have fun using Unity. Just take it slow and check out each window.

Almaj likes this.
  5. fearfactory

fearfactory

There's an amount of immaturity I noticed in the Unity forum and the "Personal" text on the splash screen will only perpetuate that.

I believe the fanboyism comes from the fact that Unity often hires people within this forum, so everyone's hoping to get lucky by expressing rampant fanboyism to boost their odds. Unfortunately, they may not realize professionalism and not acting like an amateur is the only way to get hired.

Likewise, I strongly believe that the marketing and wording of the Product should be tailored to fostering a more professional community. The word "Personal" impedes this Product goal.

Grafos and Almaj like this.
  6. marf

marf

When I try to compile my project (it's a big project that me and my team made in 4 years) I got this error:
    http://piclair.com/data/t8pm6.jpg

Is this a bug with big sharedassets files?

7. Almaj

Almaj

Is there any premade template (FPS, Racing etc...) with Unity 5? I know I´m spoiled with Unreal Engine :)

Em-de-Nem likes this.
  8. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Could you report this as a bug please while waiting for any help from the forum :)

9. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Yes just download the unity sample assets from asset store :) There's a car, plane etc...

10. marf

marf

Another person already reported it in Novemeber 2014, but nothing was done! :)

11. jacobtw

jacobtw

I can't download Unity with download assistant. It reaches 100% and says it lost internet connection.
    Is there a way to get the installer without the assistant from hell?

Edit: I wrote in the URL manually so I got the installer without the so called assistant.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  12. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I just launched the asset store and I noticed that I have an 11 next to my name. I installed the Personal Edition (relinguishing my pro licence) and I will admit, all of the bugs that were in the previous version like the wireframe mode not working, makes my day.

13. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Will Unity carry on releasing Unity 4.6x releases?
    Some of us just not ready for Unity 5 until its bit more stable..

14. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

Agree! I would like to understand what I have been "bait-and-switched" for - so to speak. I am a solo artist who bought Pro for graphic features. Since it is "up to me" to do the work to apply for a refund and supply paperwork and even possibly proof of my income(?) to get back my money... o_O I would like to understand the services I am turning down.

I had to sign up for the cloud thing to get past the front page and I still don't understand what it is offering me because there is nothing but gee whiz marketing speak on the pages for these services. At what point am I jeopardizing my refund by accepting this services just to see what they are? I'm not trying to be a pill, but honestly since the burden is on me can we just get something more than a sales pitch? Based on what it appears at the surface these are not services I would have paid for or needed as a solo artist....

wm-VR likes this.
  15. StarManta

StarManta

They have previously said that bugfixes, API updates, etc. would still be released for a little while to come. I would expect a few more releases in 4.6.x.

I also recall hearing at some point that there was one more missing-but-promised feature that would necessitate a 4.7, but I can't remember what that feature was or where I heard about it. Might just be making that up....

16. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Yes I heard similar but this was some months back, things might have changed over time as this is what usually happens. So would like some official word from Unity persons. Unity 5 is great dont get me wrong, wish to start learning and developing on it, but I develop for mobile only, its taken a long time to get 4.6.3 stable for mobile (still not) still 64bit and Metal needs more work on and Android issues. Now with Unity 5 there risk we going back to the start, already I see issue posted on Android forum FPS decreased with Unity 5, could be specific issue to certain developer but my gut feeling its not.

17. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

The new text rendering system.

StarManta likes this.
  18. Mikea15

Mikea15

Thank you Unity for making my life a ton lot better! :)
    As always, you've surpassed all our expectations.

I'm already diving in the new features, and can't wait to make benchmark comparisons. :)

Once again, a big thank you. :)

19. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

About time as still suffering from Dynamic Font iOS issue that kills FPS

20. StarManta

StarManta

I'm curious what you mean by 'solo artist' - do you make assets for the asset store, contract with other people, what?

Keep in mind that, if you do work on a team, you cannot blend Pro and Personal licenses on that team. So the features you may not understand or have use for (e.g. Cloud Build) might still be important to your developer, and if you're on a team, you both have to use the same license.

Quick rundown of the features with respect to being an artist:

Customizable splash screen - self explanatory

Cloud Build Pro - This lets you press a button to upload your project to Unity's servers and let them build an iOS, Android, and Web player build for you, while you continue to work. It's a godsend for developers who deploy for a team on mobile apps, but probably has little relevance to you as an artist.

Analytics - Lets developer analyze player behavior and optimize the game for it (e.g. fixing that one spot that causes 50% of your players to quit the game). Probably not relevant to you as an artist.

Team license - Lets you use the asset server. Since CVS/SVN offers basically the same thing for free but with more support, I don't think this is worth anything to anyone, TBH.

Prioritized bug handling - bugs can happen to anyone, artists and devs alike. Relevant to you.

Game Performance reporting - probably not relevant to you - mostly for developers.

Beta access - up to you.

21. fearfactory

fearfactory

Are there any demos that show off the abilities of Unity 5 maximized on mobile? Both Android & iOS?

This would entice more people to stick with Unity and purchase the Pro. Something like the Viking Village, but for Mobile and competing with Unreal's Infinity Blade.

larku likes this.
  22. twobob

twobob

Could someone please outline what this means to Educational Team License holders?

I have asked support... but no joy yet,

23. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Good point, I do not see anything, I have license for Unity 5, Android Pro and iOS Pro bought months ago when first announced. I do not see any special things for mobile apart from the expected stuff from Android and iOS (64Bit Support) and some other changes.

24. karadag

karadag

Hello

When will release "sequence" update? Version 5.1?

MrEsquire likes this.
  25. StarManta

StarManta

I think it's been actually released yet, but that "space station" demo was originally shown off on an iPad, IIRC.

26. Jaimi

Jaimi

You can have concave colliders -- just not concave triggers.

27. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Demo, try a full game man, not the same thing (Key words are Mobile Performance)

28. ExSoax

ExSoax

I've got the same problems... Any solution?

29. Tomza

Tomza

I downloaded Unity 5.0 and I'm using now. Nothing special - the joy of Unity fanboys seems incomprehensible. It's just a tool. People had expected to get much and they got just Pro features for free. In other words, nothing changed for me.

30. kamac

kamac

Even though I really appreciate that the free version of Unity now has all the features the old Pro version had, I really cannot overlook that new splash screen. Personal Edition just sounds really really cheap (althrough it indeed is cheap! ha!). If only could the text be saying "Powered by Unity - Indie Edition" or just "Powered by Unity" like it used to, I'd be most pleased. The way it currently is - it is a major turn off. Nobody wants to look unprofessional, even if that is not always the case.

31. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

I am a solo artist. I make art, by myself. (museum installations, interactive art, kiosks, audiovisual interactives, animations...). I bought UnityPro primarily to transition into app design, and also user-participation via app...

Does the cloud bypass iOS X-code? Is this allowing me to download a working iOS version from Unity Cloud? Not for distribution, just for testing (I presume).... Or is the cloud just a way to free up your computer while the project is being built?

And thank you.

32. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

upload_2015-3-5_1-18-10.png
    Why???!!! Just Why???!!! I need it......

Whippets likes this.
  33. Whippets

Whippets

Dammit - that was the one button I needed too

34. Socrates

Socrates

They have you covered in this thread:
    Unity 4.x Pro and Unity 5 personal on same machine?

35. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

Isn't that the point of a splash screen? You get something for free, they get advertising.

36. Zeblote

Zeblote

The splash screen is not the problem. "Personal Edition" below it is.

I doubt that's doing unity any favor with advertising either.

37. fearfactory

fearfactory

I'm getting really bad performance and worse lighting in Unity 5 compared to Unity 4 Free with less features :(

This is using Manufactura K4's stellar assets, which are perfect in Unity 4 Free.

38. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

It does, if you publish a visually spectacular game, and your users see you did it for FREE.

Tethys likes this.
  39. fearfactory

fearfactory

You're right. "Personal Edition" implies Unity is not a professional brand and focuses its value on family and "playing around" projects, much more like something akin to RPG Maker and Game Maker rather than a AAA competitor to Unreal.

I doubt this is the position they want to take and that they want to reduce the odds of the bulk of Unity's developers chances at success by telling the users their product is mainly used for "Personal work" and not Professional work. In fact, this does no help for Unity to get Developers to upgrade as their projects may be less successful with this Personal moniker and worse yet...

Personal will be the only phrase associated with Unity by the public, the masses that use mobile devices. It will be ingrained as Unity's specialty in their eyes because there's no corresponding "Professional" splash screen to outweigh the only splash screen they will see.., "Personal".

Personal = Amateur

Grafos and kamac like this.
  40. Fuzzy

Fuzzy

Just noticed, at least for android export the "personal edition" thing isn't there, it's just the old splashscreen. "powered by unity [Logo]", so i guess it's the same for iOS and other mobiles?

41. atmuc

atmuc

twobob and VicToMeyeZR like this.
  42. StarManta

StarManta

Quite the opposite. The fact that there is a personal EDITION informs the player by implication that there is also a professional edition.

43. StarManta

StarManta

That makes sense. I haven't yet built anything to device on U5 yet, but I was pretty sure that it wasn't going to have a fully animated splash screen on those devices, as the splash screen that exists is a still image that plays while the actual engine is initializing.

44. StarManta

StarManta

It doesn't replace XCode, not entirely. However, it CAN remove XCode from your daily test-and-build routine. Basically you still need a Mac/XCode to set up the project and to deploy it in the end. If, say, you have a friend with a Mac but don't have one yourself, this makes it "hey, can I borrow your computer once a month?" instead of "hey, can I use your computer every day?"

wetcircuit likes this.
  45. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

Thank you. I'm already on a Mac.... It's not that I expect Unity to cater to my needs. I knew I was "violating traffic laws" by choosing Unity rather than investing in Octane.... I was ok with spending money on graphic features, but "buyer's clubs" and "team subscriptions" is just so left field from what I paid for.... I've topped the financial limit with my art before, but probably won't for a while yet.... I think I'll wait a few weeks to see if the logo "text" changes before asking for the refund.... and avoid any Chaper11 Club purchases in the meantime. Hahaha.

46. byronbbb

byronbbb

Thanks, Unity!! Truly awesome news! Congratulations on Unity 5.

47. Jaimi

Jaimi

There's an easy answer to the whole "Personal Version" text on the splash screen... Buy the software. It sounds like some of you just don't want others to know you're a lone-wolf programmer, and not the CEO of MegaSoftware, inc. Well, anyone worth their salt is going to know that anyway. I really don't see what the deal is. Especially because by the time your game is ready, you can spend $75 and build your game without the splash screen.

48. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

I do believe there is a year sub requirement to that

49. Zeblote

Zeblote

Not really. You have to pay another 11x$75 after that.

50. Tethys

Tethys

To what end though? It's not like the gamers are going to go out and by a copy of Unity Pro - if anything they are going to just go grab that free version. Is that the purpose, to try to get so many people to try Unity and then maybe spend some money in the asset store in a disillusioned dream of "I'm making the next Rust" by buying a few hundred dollars of pre built assets and scripts? Do they think Asset Store is going to be like Steam for them, if they just get enough people using it (hence free with everything in it now). It clearly has the massed concerned or there wouldn't be SO MANY PEOPLE asking and posting about their concerns, IMO. There is clearly an issue here that Unity will need to address.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.