Search Unity

Official Unity 5 Launch

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by John-Riccitiello, Mar 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eridani

eridani

I wouldn't say the words "Personal Edition" is a dealbreaker for myself but it does just seem a bit redundant, because if you see the splash screen at all, it already indicates you are an Indie (free) user right?

Kind of a like having a logo saying "FREE" and then underneath in small letters "It's free."

The animated splash screen would totally look badass though without the "Personal Edition" text.

Anyway, thank you and great job Unity for this amazing release! I think you just punched Unreal in the nose.

rakkarage likes this.
  2. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

The ambient lighting is in the Lighting window and you have GI. I had the pro version trial from the Asset Store and actually ended it early to try the free version. The only difference I have faced is the skin.

It is an amazing update. Incredibly beautiful.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  3. goat

goat

I'm surprised it's out in March but then maybe I shouldn't be; I've been very happy using Unity 4.6.x compared to prior versions of Unity!

I'm happy that it's feature complete in free now too not that I will realistically be able to leverage all that on my own but then I already know I'll be able to leverage a lot more than even earlier Pro users could just on the basics of the advancements made in Unity 5.

4. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

Don't feed the trolls and glad you like it.

Baldinoboy likes this.
  5. goat

goat

Hmmm...another person that thinks they are going to self elevate by insulting the work and judgment of quite a lot of hardworking and knowledgeable professionals.

nipoco likes this.
  6. NoradZero

NoradZero

They said you get all the engine feature with FREE. Nothing is capped. You should have access to ambiant GL, lightmaps, etc.

7. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Can I say again that this is the BEST BIRTHDAY GIFT ever in a long time...?

hopeful likes this.
  8. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

Happy Birthday.

NoradZero, jashan and KRGraphics like this.
  9. goat

goat

With 'Personal Edition' I can now differentiate myself from the 'Professional Edition' folk. Uh, that doesn't work because that's not a criteria that makes for a fun game or a useful app. And that's not what customers will be judging your game/app on.

Maybe your problem with the 'Personal Edition' splash screen is your own bias of other's work using the Personal Edition.

Is your bias realistic or is it just a factor of having a bowl full of cherries and you don't know how to differentiate from the crowd and so you call it a bowl full of pits? You need to differentiation with your work, not your words; so get out there and create a kiwi-strawberry daiquiri.

StarManta and Socrates like this.
  10. diegzumillo

diegzumillo

Yes, you do. Read the comparison. Or, better yet, install it and knock yourself out :)

11. goat

goat

Hmmm, before I download 2 1/2 gigabytes for OS X it seems I remember earlier statements by Unity workers that Unity 5 would not support os X version for the Editor of less than 10.8 but know the Unity 5 release notes say that os X 10.6 & 10.7 are supported too.

Is this true?

12. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Now I am going to look for tutorials and documentation on the new features.

13. Ken3dguy

Ken3dguy

I cancelled 4 Pro subscription a while back. I d/l Unity 5 this AM and tried to load in my project all was there except the main asset, a 3D house that was imported from Maya.Isa anyone else having issues opening older projects into 5?

14. goat

goat

I guess so. Maybe they drop those later as it would create a giant support headache for big customers.

http://unity3d.com/unity/system-requirements

15. eridani

eridani

I guess it simply boils down to a prestige thing and how one wants his/her work to be perceived by end users, either as serious work or as a hobby.

For example if I offered you, say, webserver software and said you could choose from the Indie Edition, Personal Edition, or Professional Edition, in what order would you naturally rank them in terms of power and expertise required...?

I think for most poeple it's not a biggie, but I can see it being an issue for some. I don't see why it should be a problem at all for hobbyists.

16. Jaimi

Jaimi

Are there any release notes for the RC3+ to RC4 update?

17. goat

goat

Yes, I know junior highs, high schools and the world are full of such artificial worries. Actually making it so obvious that you used 'Personal Edition' is more likely to work in your favor than not with the end customer. I mean they are not going to reasonably expect you to man a 24/7 call center for your game are they? No.

But anyway, on to something useful and that is I noticed that all my assets in the asset store are going to need to be redownloaded...

Well, I'm not going to be in a hurry to do that as most I'll never use and it'd be nice if Unity added a 'Hide' radio button to each asset listing in the 'My Assets' in the asset store for assets we don't really want or think we are likely to use and have it work before or after an asset was downloaded.

Socrates likes this.
  18. goat

goat

I believe they are the same so your RC3+ notes should suffice.

19. angus_davidson

angus_davidson

The permissions are correct on the app. but not on the contents with in the application, using remote desktop to chmod, or using puppet doesnt cater for that.

20. roger-wang

roger-wang

Unity 5 new feature is perfect, i will try few week later.

i have one question ask everyOne:
    what about the UGUI in the Unity 5? update or cancel?

i can't find any information about the UGUI in the link:
    http://unity3d.com/unity/whats-new/unity-5.0

thanks in advance.

21. eridani

eridani

Not so sure if UT would be wise to brush off people's concern as "childish" and "artificial" and "not useful"... especially after such an otherwise perfect launch.

I'm not certain myself whether the words "Personal Edition" would cause end users to look down on an indie game or, as you say, cut it more slack, but some people do seem very troubled by its inclusion on the splash screen, so probably best for UT to address the issue directly and not brush it aside.

22. RichardKain

RichardKain

The presence of the splash screen was non-optional in the previous version of Unity Free. So if your application had it, anyone in the know would immediately recognize that you were using the free edition.

In this particular case, no one outside of industry professionals and people who follow game development are going to know what the "Personal" edition of Unity is. And the word "Personal" doesn't have much in the way of negative connotations. The average consumer isn't going to be turned off by that particular term.

The only real thing at risk here is your own ego. If prestige within the industry is that important to you, pony up for the Professional edition. You're making a bigger issue of this than it needs to be.

Socrates likes this.
  23. ZO5KmUG6R

ZO5KmUG6R

"useless"

Gotta hand it to you guys, this new PBR, realtime reflection, realtime GI, etc. is amazing! :) LOVING IT!

24. goat

goat

Yes, I just tested with UGUI in Unity 5 on a project I have that got upgraded and it works fine but I don't have the most complex UGUI either.

25. eridani

eridani

On the contrary, I think some people were making the contention that it would impact their bottom line, not just their ego. If it was simply for ego gratification I would agree it's a non-issue.

Moonjump likes this.
  26. goat

goat

The way my characters are rendered is much more 'snazzy' looking while the environment still looks as good as before and I noticed the new physics is much more 'snappy' in Unity 5 compared to Unity 4.6.3p1.

Upgrade now, unless you are embarrassed by having 'Personal Edition' splash screen. LOL :)

aaron95j and Don-Gray like this.
  27. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

...And BAM! :eek:
    Us free users finally have renderTexures!!! :D

Baldinoboy and hopeful like this.
  28. goat

goat

No it wouldn't. It's simply more whining.

29. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

The text in BOLD:

Agreed! :D :) ;)

eridani likes this.
  30. eridani

eridani

Lol, you guys sure are pleasant to debate with. Anyway, I put in my 2 cents and wash my hands of the matter.

I personally don't mind what's on the splash screen but to me it seems that UT is pointedly ignoring the issue in this thread, and letting vehement users be the "muscle" for them.

I am actually very curious to know what is the rationale for using the phrase "Personal Edition" -- as mentioned above, the Unity logo should instantly be recognizable to industry professionals, so no words are even necessary.

I personally think the phrase is an attempt to get more end users to download Unity ("Oh look, this game was made with a personal edition, maybe I can make a game too!"), but since no official UT person has responded, I can only assume they agree with your "whining" contention.

Anyways, I'm out.

AxisRob likes this.
  31. larku

larku

Anyone know if there is updated documentation for Unity 5? If so where will I find it?

Thanks Unity for giving us all the pro features in 'personal edition' - this will significantly improve things.

I do agree with the sentiment regarding the "Personal Edition" wording on the splash screen - it does make things seem a little amateurish for a released game. I'm not really complaining, we should be thankful for what you've given us already. But if we don't say, then you don't know :)

But more importantly - updated docs, anywhere?

Thanks again.

randomperson42 and Grafos like this.
  32. randomperson42

randomperson42

Grafos likes this.
  33. failman

failman

Hey guys, the event was amazing! But I got a bit confused with the iOS Pro and Android Pro license now. If I use Unity Pro and want to deploy to mobile platforms do I have to buy mobile pro licenses accordingly?

34. orb

orb

Nope. You'll just get a splash screen on the mobile export.

35. goat

goat

Indie Edition, I don't like. Given our stewardship of our companies in these forums I'm partial to CEO Edition. LMAO.

I mean I can see the company's name myself and the ad copy is up to the publisher. Indie? Just who are these 'Indies' claiming to be 'Indie' from? The Man? The Church Lady? It isn't logical.

Yes, I remember being embarrassed at having Converse in high school and wearing high waters when all the other guys were wearing Nike and had inseams long enough for their legs.

That said, I don't care if they use the term Personal Edition, Indie Edition (although I prefer the spelling Indy), the Freeloader Edition, or my favorite, the CEO Edition.

36. tango209

tango209

Yep, download this http://unityvs.com/

Dunkelheit likes this.
  37. zendorf

zendorf

Thanks to the Unity crew for this amazing deal! Looking forward to digging into the new features. I will wait until it has matured past the 5.0.0 version though....I can wait :)

38. nipoco

nipoco

Great work UT! Thanks a bunch for Unity5. It's awesome so far.

39. DennG

DennG

Thank you Unity Technologies!
    This is the best thing that ever could have happened to unity.
    Can't describe my feels.

40. atmuc

atmuc

Cache server is great, Level 11 is great, i will not get refund.

Don-Gray likes this.
  41. JuniezV2

JuniezV2

damn. unity coming back strong

Don-Gray likes this.
  42. twobob

twobob

As a holder of educational licenses this probably shouldn't affect us too much.
    On the plus side I can FINALLY actually and really shift to 5 (since the web-players will now work)
    Here's hoping your new model brings you fortune.

43. RobertOne

RobertOne

so. typical n00b question:
    when i instal unity 5.0 - is 4.6 then gone on my machine? (OSX) or can i still use both or is it "overwritten"?

44. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

A question to everyone: some features in personal edition very definitely work, (e.g. deferred lighting) yet in the docs, they're marked pro-only... Is that an error in the docs, or Unity? o_O

45. Bradamante

Bradamante

Is there anything that can be done about this?
    Provide a direct download?
    Upload this one video to a different host?

No, I don't want to try a proxy. This doesn't solve the core problem.

46. Woodlauncher

Woodlauncher

Error in the docs. Personal Edition has all the Pro features except the dark skin and customizable splash screen

47. Frednaar

Frednaar

48. Moonjump

Moonjump

1. The underlined section seems worrying. So content created with the Personal edition means the product will be marked Personal, even if released with Professional. I'm familiar with such things from educational versions resulting in watermarking for evermore, which is fine, but not transferring from Personal to Professional? So no upgrading to Professional in the middle of a project and being able to use existing content? What about creating Asset Store content in Personal that might be used in Professional?

49. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

Hi,
    I am very happy with the new policy.

Feature parity between Pro and Personal editions is huge.
    - more people will benefit from the advanced technologies
    - making assets that use the - until recently Pro only - features is finally viable for hobbyists due to the increased crowd - everyone :)

I feel that there is some room for better explaining the benefits of choosing the Pro version.
    Dark skin - No splash screen - Level 11 - those are clear.

Services need to be explained in greater detail though. What exactly do we get - why should we opt to use them - right now a 1250$+ choice must be judged by going to various blog posts about Cloud - analytics - cache server etc.
    It is not strange that many people feel they do not need those services - the info about them is scarce and unclear. This needs to be fixed, otherwise many people who prepaid Unity 5 will opt for a refund due to misinformation.

For me, refund is not an option. I choose to support Unity by buying Pro, for emotional reasons. If the message gets more clear - aka you get these services that you need because a, b, c, d - more people will buy Pro and money will help Unity deliver more.

-Ippokratis

wetcircuit, Baldinoboy and hippocoder like this.
  50. Kronnect

Kronnect

I have just applied for the conversion to the new subscription flexible plan and probably will cancel the subscription for a few months until my project is in a more advanced stage. Still not sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.