Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Unity 5 Launch

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by John-Riccitiello, Mar 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Em-de-Nem

Em-de-Nem

Thanks. I see it, but I cannot see the reason/logic behind it.

2. Mike-Geig

Mike-Geig

Unity Technologies

I think that might be poor wording. I believe that is to mean the education *institution* licenses can't be refunded. I think student stuff should be ok (99% sure, getting clarification now)

Aurore likes this.
  3. Dunkelheit

Dunkelheit

Is MonoDevelop updated or still remaining the old 4.0.1 version? Can someone confirm that?

4. angus_davidson

angus_davidson

Hi Aurore.

Is there going to be any change in the cost of the EDU licences?

Kind regards

Angus

5. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

I believe so too, contact studica for you student refund.

6. bigSadFace

bigSadFace

Thanks for the reply. Such a shame.

7. Rodolfo-Rubens

Rodolfo-Rubens

Where can I find the unity labs demo?

8. Em-de-Nem

Em-de-Nem

By the way, the monthly subscription for Pro will be a really monthly subscription or still remains a 'fake' one?

EDIT: it is still a yearly subscription, not monthly. Unity should call it yearly, not monthly.

But:

Please, Unity Folks!
    Make it to a real monthly subscription!

Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  9. BTStone

BTStone

Just wanted to thank everyone at UT for the hard work. Our team are licensed developers for different consoles and finally with Unity 5 we can work the "Unity-Way" when developing for different consoles. No need for weird setups with multiple launchers or one launcher per computer.
    This is probably the best feature we could get, as it seems to work as for now just fine.
    Again thanks for Unity 5. Much appreciated!

davem250 and Baldinoboy like this.
  10. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

You guys must be getting slammed... should I provide the invoice numbers on the refund form? Aside from that hideous splash sceen, I am grateful.

11. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

is the Team license automatically added to the pre-order licenses?
    I just opened the editor and it doesn't say Team License.

12. fearfactory

fearfactory

This was the only feasible option for Unity and its the smartest decision.

It defeats Unreal on all fronts across the board in terms of deal.

It ensures market superiority and coverage by ensuring both students and indies use Unity instead of Unreal. People don't know how much a big of a deal the "going Free" concept is since Corona and Unreal went Free. It literally opened the floodgates for low income, students, indie studios, and more who were about to jump ship to Unreal.

Now, Unity not only has a fighting chance and will dominate the schools for usage, it will stay #1.

13. fearfactory

fearfactory

And I say this as someone who came to the conclusion that they must combine Pro and Free BEFORE this announcement.

Because that way all submissions to the Asset Store can target Pro instead of being split. And senior developers who work part time on their own games outside of their AAA studio can now contribute their advanced techniques and experience to the Asset Store without worrying about monthly fees that may have made them shy to Unreal. It was costing them $225/month just to write some damn shaders, FX, and lighting tricks for us! That was hurting the Assets available to us big time.

14. Em-de-Nem

Em-de-Nem

I can't see it, but maybe I need some clarification on the number of installs...

15. StarManta

StarManta

Do you guys need the logic of including the words "Personal edition" spelled out? Unity should not remove them.

Games built with the free version of Unity are, on average, going to be much worse than games built with the Pro version, simply due to the nature of the fact that it's mostly amateurs that will be using it. Since every Pro developer will be replacing the splash screen, for the general public, the only time they will ever see the Unity logo - ever - will be in the splash screen of these amateurish games. This is basically the reason that Unity has a reputation for being an engine for the little guys - many people believe that Unity is not capable of AAA-level development, in part because the studios that use Unity Pro hide the fact that they use Unity at all, because that's what professionals do!

By including "Personal edition", it's basically a disclaimer to the end user that Unity is capable of more than what they're seeing in this amateur game. Including those words improves the reputation of the Unity engine.

davem250, Kiux01, datacoda and 4 others like this.
  16. angus_davidson

angus_davidson

Also have they fixed the permision issues on Monodevelop on Mac OS X. Having to change the permissions for 90 lab machines was no fun ;)

17. fearfactory

fearfactory

On this topic, it really should be renamed to "Unity Indie".

That provides a level of respect to all stages of development, from 1 person studios to larger.

Personal implies a vastly inferior product rather than a lower number of features or functionality sets. It may even instill a lack of confidence in the consumer in the product itself. "Why should I spend $100 on the in-game item, when their server might crash often, as its probably some kid who made this game in their *PERSONAL* time ?"

Moonjump, truefx001, Whippets and 2 others like this.
  18. Em-de-Nem

Em-de-Nem

'many people believe that Unity is not capable of AAA-level development'

A text editor is capable for AAA-level development, too.
    Unity 5 is a good step forward.

radiantboy likes this.
  19. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

And I am cool with this now... especially since I am capable of producing AAA visuals alone... (artist here)

shkar-noori and Em-de-Nem like this.
  20. jashan

jashan

To be honest - the worst experiences I've had with any presentations was when marketing people took the stage. Seriously. And I have seen this at Unites, too, but won't call any names (but I'm sure a few people will remember ... about half the audience just went "what is this!?" ;-) ). I just hope it will never happen again (this wasn't someone working at Unity, btw - and I don't want to offend any marketing people; you're doing an important job - just please don't talk at conferences except about marketing itself which is obviously your area of expertise ;-) ).

I do agree that sometimes, not being a "trained speaker" and adding lots of "uh" and "ehm" and losing track a little and coming across a little "not-so-professional" can be a little annoying when you watch the presentation. But it's by far - and I say it again: by very very far - not as annoying as having someone on stage that's obviously just a sales person that could either talk about Unity or the new Pepsi and wouldn't even care as long as they'll increase revenue.

What I like about Unity Technologies - even more than their technical skill (and that is setting an incredibly high bar) - is their honesty and approachability. Like when David talked to that 11-year old (or was it 12 or 10, don't remember) at one of those Unites ... for I guess half an hour or more. And I'm pretty certain that he didn't do that because people would quote it later on but because he was genuinely interested in what this little guy was doing with the engine that he was a significant part of creating. Every single conversation I've had with David or any other of the Unity folks was sincere and uplifting.

I like to quote from that blog post and I have to say big Kudos to John for writing this and I think it's heartfelt and honest and it really touched me (more than any "stage experience" could ever compensate for):

From: http://blogs.unity3d.com/2015/03/03/unity-5-launch ... and when people write such things and I feel it to be honest, I can easily forgive posting the wrong link to the forum posting (but you or some moderator still might want to edit that - right the second sentence "I just posted on the launch of Unity 5, which you can find here http://unity3d.com/get-unity." should be "I just posted on the launch of Unity 5, which you can find here http://blogs.unity3d.com/2015/03/03/unity-5-launch" ;-) ).

VIC20 and Rene-Damm like this.
  21. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I should say I was grandfathered in...

22. jashan

jashan

It's honest. That's all. Fact is: Putting up a server that will not crash often, and if it crashes, it will be fixed within a short time 24/7 is significantly more costly than that Unity Pro license or subscription.

And no, "Unity Indie" would not be the correct name because a lot of Indies (at least anyone that has a company with more than 3 or 4 full time people) will need Unity Pro anyways because their turnover will exceed $100,000.

23. crol

crol

Amazing news! Even better than I am expected.

24. Ohms

Ohms

Hello everyone,

I have 2 licenses questions of the new Unity 5 release.

The download page give only 2 possibilities :
    -Personnal Edition for free
    -Pro Edition for 75$/Month (subscription)

1-Does perpetual licenses have disapeared ? (Does it means previous prices will no more available ? (1500$ for pro +1500$ for each addons) )

2-There is 6/10 months, I have upgraded all my companies licences Unity 4, to the Unity 5 by preordering. All my licenses should be perpetual licenses (but it seems new prices don t propose perpetual licenses now). Does my licences will continue working until Unity 6, or only 12 monthes (or how it works ? ) ?

25. BIG-BUG

BIG-BUG

I really don't get the problem. If Unity 5 Pro was justifiable beforehand, why isn't it anymore? All that has changed is that you now get even more value with a Pro licence than before. No features have been cut. This is good for Pro users as well.
    Also if you are eligible to use the Personal licence you can get a refund - if you want to.

Why is it harder to justify the cost to your employer? If a business earns more than $100.000 they have to use a Pro licence. Simple as that.
    That's like using UE4 and not wanting to pay royalties (sorry for the reference) or riding the train without buying a ticket...

davem250 and landon912 like this.
  26. BIG-BUG

BIG-BUG

It is still possible to buy a perpetual licence as well (or upgrade an existing U4 licence) (it shows if you click that "$75/Month" button)
    According to the FAQ this entitles for support until 3rd of March 2017.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  27. Almaj

Almaj

So I just downloaded the "new" Unity 5.0 but there is no demo project map showcasing the PBR and Global Illumination, I was expecting something more interesting for new people, there is no demonstrations like it was in the first unity "island demo?" and how can I chose the type of global illumination? I've tried to follow this unity video showcase:
    but there is no way i can make it work... where is the Enlighten Global Illumination Feature? is this some kind of joke for the people who want the free version? is the Personal version limited to global illumination and other render features? if so you have lie to us.

28. Moonjump

Moonjump

So how are people supposed to progress from Personal Edition to Professional? Labelling them as amateurish isn't going to help them earn the money to make the transition.

The free version was used by developers good and bad. Giving them an amateurish badge means only the bad will stay.

Grafos likes this.
  29. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

Can we please get some clarification on these blocks of text from the FAQ and license agreement:

Developing commercial content using the Personal and Professional editions of the Unity editor simultaneously is not allowed. Please see our Software License Agreement for further information.

and

You may not combine or integrate Licensee Content that you develop with Unity Personal simultaneously with any Licensee Content that you develop with Unity Pro or any Unity Pro Add-On Products. Licensee Content developed with Unity Personal will be tagged with an identifier that is used to enforce this restriction.

My questions in this context are as follows:

- If I have Unity Personal and I import an asset that was made by someone with Unity Pro but without Pro-only features, will I be violating my terms of use if I publish my project?

- If I have Unity Personal and I collaborate with another indie developer or studio using Unity Pro but the project does not use Pro-only features, will I be violating my terms of use if I publish the end result via my Personal license?

Very excited for this huge update to Unity!

30. Zeblote

Zeblote

Download the viking village demo from asset store

Almaj likes this.
  31. BIG-BUG

BIG-BUG

Almaj likes this.
  32. angus_davidson

angus_davidson

Unfortunately the unity edu licences are still expensive, Multiply that by many lab machines and it becomes very expensive. Unreal allows you to install the free version on EDU machines. Students can even use thier own logins (rather then one single university one) As a educator who is the person responsible for installing the programs our game design students use I can assure you that Unity has made a serious error in judgement.

Em-de-Nem likes this.
  33. Dunkelheit

Dunkelheit

What do you mean?

34. jashan

jashan

They've mostly moved their demos to the asset store:

Viking Village Demo
    Shader Calibration Scene [5.0 beta]

I believe there's some more ... it would probably be nice to clean those up a little because sometimes it can be a little hard to find the packages that are available. I'd love the Asset Store to have better filters (e.g. full hierarchy of categories just for a specific company would tremendously help with browsing "official UT package").

35. adventurefan

adventurefan

Nice. Well the form appears now but in Firefox 36 I get this bug after I do it:

Unable to create refund request, please correct the errors below
    Original invoice mime type Must be a PDF

I did attach the PDF.

So if someone at Unity could mention to them that appears to be bugged, thanks.

EDIT: submitted in Chrome instead and that works

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  36. DaDonik

DaDonik

You're completely right, but as you say "If the business earns more than 100.000k". Thats simply not the case here.

37. FunGamer

FunGamer

38. overthere

overthere

Thanks, Aurore and Mike for the extra info, will go off and check with Studica tomorrow. Then I can forget the boring money stuff and get back to the Unity 5 goodness :)

39. Ohms

Ohms

Thx BIG BUG for your answer.
    If I had correctly understood, we can still buy perpetual licenses, but only by contacting support/sales team, the website will not propose anymore perpetual licenses but only subsciption. Is it correct ?

40. DanielQuick

DanielQuick

No, you can buy it through the website. Select "From $75/month" then later it will ask if you would like to subscribe or buy outright.

41. MagnetiCat

MagnetiCat

Same issue here. The invoice was just downloaded from Unity's invoice area. Firefox on Mac.

http://imgur.com/USEqfMO

42. angus_davidson

angus_davidson

This is on Mac OS X . In a lab you will set up an admin user (for OS updates etc ) and one or more users that the students will log into. When you install 4.6 Mono develop will only open for the admin user. For all the other users you have to go to the Mono develop application, get info, view contents , select a folder, change the permission from read only to read / write, apply to all items.

Doing that once is fine. Doing it 90 times every time there is a Unity update gets very old very quickly. Also to do the updates via a University firewall we have to first change the IP address to one we can route around the firewall. Do the Update, change it back to DHCP x 90.

This is why at least having a local RLM license server for example would be a major step forward.

43. tbelgrave

tbelgrave

As a character artist I'm mostly after Character based shader work and implementation. Where can I find info on how the village characters where done? Marmoset has seriously spoiled me :)

After playing with Unity 5 for a bit I noticed nothing for skin? Just curious if they're included as well in the Village demo so we artists can pick it apart.

44. RichardKain

RichardKain

I do have to concede this particular point. When you put pure marketing/sales-people on stage, it can often be even more aggravating and annoying than inexperienced presenters. Some of the marketing "shills" you see trotted out at events like E3 can be just excruciating to sit through. While the developers we saw at the Unity presentation might not have always been as flashy or polished, they did come across as genuine, and they were clearly expert at the material they were presenting.

The best possible situation would be a presenter such as Aisha Tyler. I often hold her up as one of the best presenters that the game industry regularly trots out on stage. She is a fan of the medium, which gives her a certain level of expertise from a fan perspective. And she's also a professional performer, so her presence on stage is usually very confident and collected. She is an example of a presenter who is familiar with the material, while also having a strong and capable stage presence.

Still, the content spoke for itself, so a strong performance wasn't really necessary.

jashan likes this.
  45. wm-VR

wm-VR

46. pauloaguiar

pauloaguiar

I have downloaded the Personal edition free , it show error of :

"can not initialize license activation window"! Whats is the problem whit the activation?

47. Almaj

Almaj

Thanks for the links guys, now how can I change the editor color skin to a black one?

48. jashan

jashan

I just wanted to say that not only do I believe you but having you give this that much room both in the blog posting and forum posting casts away any last small shadows of doubt I've had when David passed the CEO torch on. Of course I trusted David to know what he was doing ... but you know ... some things only time can tell. Time told. I'm very happy!

It's statements like that which make me totally proud to use Unity and having been a "Pro customer" since 2007.

Aurore likes this.
  49. randomperson42

randomperson42

I assume the asset store publishers for those offers still get paid?

And how do publishers get selected for this, is it the same as the asset store sales?

50. BIG-BUG

BIG-BUG

@woelfchen: If you went Pro just for the graphics you should be very happy. You now just can get the refund and go for the driving licence instead. And you can tell your friends: "UT payed for my driving licence!" ;-)

wm-VR likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.