Search Unity

1. Click here to see what's on sale for the "Best of Super Sale" on the Asset Store
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 5 Launch

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by John-Riccitiello, Mar 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dameon_

Dameon_

This is even more awesome than I'd hoped. Just having access to the profiler is going to put a smile on my face all day. Thanks guys!

2. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

One more question. On the pro feature page[ http://unity3d.com/unity/professional-edition ] it mentions features like polished PBS, GI, and linear lighting. Are these pro only and what is the difference between the personal and pro standard shader? The main thing I want to use is linear color space so I hope it is in personal.

Thanks

3. WilliamBNewton

WilliamBNewton

Apparently Unity thinks differently. In a way that won't lose them customers.

4. Velo222

Velo222

I'm very glad you guys are offering refunds then to those who pre-ordered Unity 5, but don't need any of the extra features at the moment. Thank you!

5. WilliamBNewton

WilliamBNewton

Any word on when the refund form is going to go live? Right now it's not up.

6. Zeblote

Zeblote

They lied! It's not fully featured. We can only use the S***ty light skin.

---

There's a new animated splash screen that looks way better than the old one, except that the background is blue-greyish (should be black imo) and the text rendering is really ugly.

^ ugly blurry/aliased text

^ animated splash screen gif

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
    landon912 and RobertOne like this.
  7. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

5.0 started today. 5.0 didn't end today. Many, many more features will come.

8. RichardKain

RichardKain

Watched the live-stream, and enjoyed it thoroughly. Lots of good news to be had.

As a student of marketing, I do have to say that the fellows who came up on stage were not exactly professional presenters. I know this is a natural consequence of their actual jobs. Unity was trotting out honest-to-goodness developers and team members who were responsible for a lot of the behind-the-scenes work on Unity 5. When you do something like that, it's only natural that not all of them are going to have a lot of stage experience. Being good at development does not make you a natural showman.

I appreciate the honesty of having the genuine articles presenting. But I must also acknowledge that the presentation did suffer a bit for having less experienced speakers. Its not a significant criticism, this is GDC after all, not E3. Most of the audience that they were speaking to would likely draw the same conclusions I did, and would be far more interested in the technical information on parade than the surface-level presentation of the people on stage. But the marketer in me can't help but comment.

Very stoked about Unity 5, and the new lack of technical restrictions that come along with it. I've always been keen on the machinima potential of an engine like Unity, and always wanted to play with the Render-To-Texture feature. (very useful in a machinima context) There are also a few more networking features that I am very glad that I will have access to in the future. The new rendering features are also great, but as a more low-end developer it will be a while before I actually get around to using them. Still, I can already think of a few cases where even I could put them to good use.

9. Em-de-Nem

Em-de-Nem

Hello Vexe,

how will the backward compatibility work for Asset Store publishers who has Beta Pro access, but don't need it anymore? With stepping back to Unity 5 Personal Edition will the publishers have the right to access and use the 4.x Pro versions to maintain the older versions of their content? Thanks.

10. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

Refunds:
    For those <100k / year who recently purchased or subscribed, you might be able to get your money back (if you desire - as it's still good value ie cloud etc) http://unity3d.com/unity/faq

Features:
    All pro features are included! So you can make full use of all of Unity's pro rendering. I know, it's a bit surprising! Go and download it!

Services aren't though, but you can license them separately. ie Cloud or Analytics. Please see http://unity3d.com/unity/faq

Baldinoboy likes this.
  11. Em-de-Nem

Em-de-Nem

You are completely wrong on this. You can make a logical decision if you know how Unity 5 Pro and Unity 5 Free differs... We didn't had that information.

12. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

Btw, we're going to be moderating, so please be civil. There's no downsides here - you can seek a refund or enjoy the amazing benefits of the Personal Edition (which is a full Unity pro for anyone with an income less than 100,000)

13. Sedesikus

Sedesikus

I have just downloaded unity 5. I can't activate any license while starting unity. Is it due to high traffic? There is no information on this while registering. Just white screen. Anyone got the same thing?

Edit: Right, it shows server maintenance now. No problem. Just have to wait.

14. angus_davidson

angus_davidson

Somewhat annoyed about the vagueness when it comes to EDU institutions. Do we still have to buy the pro version at a reduced rate or are we allowed (like with Unreal) to run the free version. Can our students sign into thier own personal account on our Lab machines?

Kind regards

Angus

15. schmosef

schmosef

I feel bad for the guy who's asset is featured for today's deal. In all the commotion, I don't expect him to get many sales (aside from mine).

I just noticed the Level 11 section of the asset store. One word. Awesome!

16. Em-de-Nem

Em-de-Nem

'Btw, we're going to be moderating, so please be civil.
    Was it for me?

17. DaveHoskins

DaveHoskins

So are all the bugs from RC3 fixed now then?

MrEsquire, truefx001 and Zomby138 like this.
  18. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

This announcement was awesome. Congrats, Unity!

19. Whippets

Whippets

What's the customisable splash screen? Is it the quality and resolution picker? If so, I always have that turned off. Can I still turn it off in 5?

I ask because my $90 subscription fee has always given me Pro, but that no longer exists. Now, the only feature that I want is to be able to turn off the splash screen. Am I really going to pay $1080 a year just to turn off the splash screen?

(I only target PC build)

20. TemplateR

TemplateR

I heard, that te Free-Version of Unity 5 hasn´t the Black UI like in the Pro. Is that right?

21. aaro4130

aaro4130

Took about 15 tries to get my license. I ended up getting it manually as the automatic way kept white-screening me. I had to force-disconnect my PC from the internet to finish activation.

However, I finally did get it and I will see how things go :)

22. Moonjump

Moonjump

Labelling the splash screen as "Personal Edition" marks free users more as amateurs than the old splash screen ever did. It will make it harder to translate from the free version to Pro. I hate it. $4500 to remove that on mobile is ridiculous.

mh114, arkon and DaDonik like this.
  23. Archania

Archania

Wow some people are never happy.
    beautiful work Unity! Beers all around!!

24. adventurefan

adventurefan

The refund form it links to won't ever open for me, has it worked for anyone?

Other than that all the news is really great stuff. And to finally let U5 out of the gates is huge too let's not forget, even if the servers are going to be weeping for awhile today.

25. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

Will my Pro license get me a date with this hottie...? Because I'm about to turn the lights down low... Oh wait, we are in like a glass room. This is kinda weird.

Screen Shot 2015-03-03 at 2.13.02 PM.png

26. lildragn

lildragn

You meal Playmaker? If so that asset is well known ;) I love it! And it's great to have since Unity doesn't have a native Visual Scripting tool.

27. Zeblote

Zeblote

I agree, the "Personal Editition" should go away. It's not like there is a "pro edition" splash screen, right? So having it at all is enough.

mh114, arkon, Grafos and 2 others like this.
  28. vadithiyan

vadithiyan

they are literally giving you the engine for free and you want to complain about the splash screen? seriously?

29. DanielQuick

DanielQuick

That is right, the free version does not have the dark skin.
    The splash screen is the large screen that pops up before your game (after the quality picker, which can still be disabled) showing the Unity logo.

30. schmosef

schmosef

@lildragn: Nope. Grids Pro.

But it's a smart decision to make Playmaker free under Level 11. I don't use it but I did buy it on sale about a year ago because some of the assets I owned needed Playmaker for their demos.

31. DaDonik

DaDonik

Having the splash screen as pretty much the only difference between Free and Pro (apart from the <100.000k $ restriction) makes it even harder for me to justify the cost to my employer.

32. Parallaxe

Parallaxe

I'm also thinking about getting a refund on my Pro pre-order, since I don't need the services of "New Pro". But the "Level Eleven" freebies are a strong argument in favor of "New Pro", since this month's "Level Eleven" freebies are already worth $170. And that's without taking the reduced prices of the other "Level Eleven" assets into account.

For people with heavy Asset Store purchases the new "Level Eleven" could be an argument for staying with "New Pro".

Tough decision ...

33. Tuni

Tuni

I agree with both. Pay 1500$ for a mobile platform to get rid of the splash screen? Sounds too expensive for me. Combine it with Unity Pro or lower the price and everything is fine. It's gonna be a fun meeting to justify the 3000$ for the iOS and Android Pro license to my employer.

The Level11 could be an awesome deal in the future. Playmaker for march is a good start!

mh114 likes this.
  34. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Awesome. Thanks

Will try it out when the servers are less overwhelmed.

35. Moonjump

Moonjump

Yes, because it is a retrograde step from what they had before, when they also offered the engine for free.

36. overthere

overthere

I would love that to be the case but as a student I appear to have spent £1200 quid to get rid of a unity splash screen , no refunds for education buyers :( (Slight exaggeration I know but not by much for my use case)

Also I notice the software license specifically prohibits interoperability between unity free and pro on the same project.
    So I am actually in a worse position than a free user as they can have unity free on as many computers as they want.
    I have one install of pro (as edu license) but if I want to have free on my laptop as well I can't work on the same projects?

If anyone can explain to me if I've misunderstood this or give me a logical reason why an indie dev can get a refund but a student can't I'm all ears?

Whippets likes this.
  37. TemplateR

TemplateR

I don´t understand. Free Version will get all Engine-Features, but not the Dark Skin?

38. Zeblote

Zeblote

You could just hack in the dark skin I guess

39. Breyer

Breyer

I agree with "Personal Edition" problem - this looks like 'amateur stigma'. Dont get me wrong Im really happy with feature parity since atm I mostly Assets Store dev, but, really, you cannot remove just "Personal Edition"? I'm ok with mandatory splash screen but would like to have optional version without 'amateur stigma'...

Ah and AS Level 11 looks awesome, i wonder this subscription is lock-in for 1 year or cancellable per month? if second option then really smart move!

As assets developer though - anyone could describe how this is handled from fiscal POV? if anyone is in Level 11 as free package, they gain some % from subscription revenue, even very small or nothing and in this case this is considered as free adv?

Ah and what is in Level 11 offereing is arbitrary decision or developers have to agree with Asset store team first and then they are included? i guess second but i would like be sure

Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
    Grafos and Moonjump like this.
  40. flippedBrain

flippedBrain

I'am a single independent game programmer.

I purchased UNITY 5 PRO and Android PRO (with instant access to UNITY 4) because of the PRO graphic-features. I`ve never used cloud-building, team license or anything like that.

You say that PRO customers have access to unique features and it's worth the money:

- The update to "level11" inside of the Asset Store is a no-need feature. I buy the assets I need for my game I'am working on (instead of waiting a few months till they are for free (or not). People like me do not start to make a game because of "ohh yeaa cool... PlayMaker is for free now. I throw c-sharp over board now or start a new 3d-shooter in a forest game because of the free speed-trees... " I spend about a year or two in finishing a game.
    What about credits I could use? 10 ASSET-STORE-POINTS a month means: 10 assets for free to download. 10 assets OF MY NEEDS. That would be a deal.

- Unity Analytics Pro: - A currently open beta process is a pro feature?!? Beyond that I have no needs for that ...

- prioritized bug handling: Seriously? I pay extra-money for bugfixes I've not caused getting faster resolved?

- access to beta-updates: Nice. In my job WE ARE paying people who helps us improving our software...

- Future platforms included: Cool. When Xbox 3000 is launched in 2021 it will be a very lucky day for me. Hopefully Unity 5 is not of date then...

- Unity Cloud Build Pro - 12 Months: Sry for that question but: What was that again?

A lucky day for all developers who did not buy Unity.

A very bad day for those who have purchased Unity 5 pro because of the advanced grafic features.

I also own an Android license. Is the only difference between android pro and free the splash-screen? Hopefully you are not kidding me guys!

Sorry for emotions in this post but I'am very unhappy with this solution

Kronnect, arkon, thylaxene and 7 others like this.
  41. zenGarden

zenGarden

So C++ and powerfull PC needs , are not the only way to make a game with good enought today graphics it seems.

42. Mike-Geig

Mike-Geig

Unity Technologies

Check out the refund policy on the FAQ

43. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

Yeah considering you can run the blacksmith demo on a laptop ;)

konsnos likes this.
  44. overthere

overthere

Hi can you comment on why students are excluded from refunds?
    Thanks!

45. Aurore

Aurore

Head of Learn Content Production Unity Technologies

No, it's an addition, we've not taken any of the normal stuff away.

Students can user Personal on their own computers, but on the actual educational establishment machines, they need the educational licenses.

Here is where you can download it, it should just work if you update to 5.0 http://unity3d.com/unity/collaboration

Nothing, every pro feature that was in Unity and will be is now in personal.

Unity 4 & Unity 5 are not the same, having Unity 5 personal does not give you Unity 4 Pro. The pro features available in Unity 5 Personal edition are exclusive to Unity 5.

We're fixing that now.

Baldinoboy likes this.
  46. Mike-Geig

Mike-Geig

Unity Technologies

I can't because I have no idea (not sales). Check the FAQ. Students should qualify. Can you identify why you think you don't?

47. overthere

overthere

The section where it says educational discounted purchases are specifically excluded ;)

congrats on launch BTW!

48. Whippets

Whippets

I hear ya... Feel I'm paying monthly for "no splash screen", a dark editor skin, and possibly some free assets. I want to feel as positive as everyone else who's now getting all the lovely pro features in their free version. Feel in a bit of a hole between the Personal version, and bigger companies who want cloud build and those extras I don't need.

VIC20, arkon, Moonjump and 2 others like this.
  49. LaneFox

LaneFox

50. Aurore

Aurore

Head of Learn Content Production Unity Technologies

Yes! You need to go through Studica though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
unityunity