Search Unity

[Unity 5] Issues (Probbably a bug with unity itself, more professionals should look)

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by RickyX, Mar 29, 2015.

1. RickyX

RickyX

I really need help, sorry for it being so long, i'm frustrated a lot with the new Unity 5.

I made a post before showing a lot of problems that occured when i updated my Unity 4 project into Unity 5.
    Now what i realized is that this actually isn't me doing something wrong, but that this has to do something with unity update itself (4 to 5). First of all, my old scene got wierd lighting and my game object meshes were lit only on the sides that sun is aiming at, and the sides and points of that meshes that were not exposed to sunlight were over too dark. I was like, okay i'll do some settings and i'll hopefully get the thing i want. So that's what i did. And then i saw this video:
    , and the guy was making everything real time, he didn't bake anything at all. While my scene required baking, but it still doesn't look as good as his scene. I decided to create another scene to see if i can actually fix something, and then i imported some meshes, and guess what, same thing happened like in the old one, the sides that are not exposed to sunlight were over too dark... And i was messing around that scene, and then i came to light probes. I made a floor reflection exactly the same as that guy did in the video, but it was all buggy, i walk around it and some black stuff come and disappear... And the baking is sooooo long, the baking takes about 3 hours sometimes, and i don't have time to wait that on every single change i do. I was like, okay i'll do the 3rd scene and this time i'll only use some textures and regular unity build-in geometry... I made a plane, made 3 walls and a roof, applied textures, made a reflection probe, placed it under a character controller that i also placed in, attached it to it, and did settings like the guy did in the video, and i even tested diffrent settings for it. And now the baking was really fast, it did it pretty fast, no problems. I made everything real time like the guy did in the video. But the reflection of the floor was lagging while the game itself didn't lag at all. Like the reflection refresh was too slow. And the reflections were not right at all, they had weird bugs when looking from some of the perspectives, especially from longer distance... But in the 3rd scene, i like the lighting, it's really correct from the diffrence from last two scenes, it never had the "too dark" sides that were not exposed to sunlight... So all i need now is a way to fix the reflection. And a question, why does this happen ? Is it me or unity 5 just didn't like me ? Should i reinstall it, what do i do ? And here are the screenshots and a video:

Settings_1.png Settings_2.png Settings_3.png Settings_4.png Settings_5.png

johnbeyer likes this.
  2. RickyX

RickyX

And yes the geometry is set to static

johnbeyer likes this.
  3. RickyX

RickyX

Bump :/

4. Pawige

Pawige

Well, first of all, it looks like you need to adjust the size of the box projection on the cube map. It's still set to 40 40 40, but it looks like your room is considerably smaller than that. As far as I understand it, the box projection size needs to match the room that it's in. Also, your cubemap may seem laggy as it's updating completely every frame. What resolution is it? You might want to consider switching the probe from realtime to baked, or turning the resolution down.

5. RickyX

RickyX

Resolution is 256 and it's on the screenshot too. What other way can I have a realistic reflecting that will really reflect realisticly from the perspective i'm looking at as i'm moving with the character ? Currently, as you can see in hihrarchy, the probe is actually following me, so it needs to be realtime and every frame in order to update the reflection every frame so i get the reflection i want while moving around... The 40 40 40 size doesen't matter at all i think... And how did it work for the guy that made the tutorial anyways ? And how did it work for me in the previous scenes ?

6. KingMatthew

KingMatthew

Did you make the layer the floor was on in the culling mask of the reflection probe?
    Also, to make the probe update better, put the time slicing to no time slicing. It lags more but the reflections are 100% updated correctly.

7. Pawige

Pawige

ReflectionBox.jpg
    The size matters very much if you're using box projection (this is a 10x6x10 probe, in the center of a 10x10 space). And if you are using box projection, you should most likely not be moving the reflection probe around. Box projection really only works well in very specific cases.

8. RickyX

RickyX

Okay everyhing stands what you said, but please can you explain how does it work with my settings on the video here:

I'm back, i'll try it out and let you know.

9. RickyX

RickyX

The guy has 40 40 40 size btw, look at the video.

10. RickyX

RickyX

And what settings should i use then ? Can you please send me that scene of yours and files for it, i see that it's really simple, so it shouldn't be a problem for you.

11. RickyX

RickyX

I just tryed changing settings for it and it's still the same... I guess this is a huge glitch i'm having here, coused by updating, if nothing works i should just go ahead and reinstall the complete unity, but i doubt even that would work... What the hell is happening.... (The real question is what do i do to create realistic floor reflections that will work even when i move around, and will reflect character aswell as static objects.' ?)

12. RickyX

RickyX

Okay that fixed the lag of the actual reflection while looking at it (fixed by changing it to No Time Slicing). And yes the culling mask of floor is checked, if it wasn't, it wouldn't even reflect it at all.

13. RickyX

RickyX

But yeah, the reflections are not as they should be like on your picture @Pawige

14. RickyX

RickyX

And why the hell does it sometimes lit like i said and sometimes it lits right.... In previous scenes it lit horribly, all the faces that were hidden from sunlight were over too dark, like i said. While in this scene it lits complitley normal, but now the reflections are weird all over the place, what the hell is going on, i'm so frustrated with this -.-"

15. Pawige

Pawige

The video's method of pinning a box projected cube map to the player sort of works in certain situations, but you're always going to see super weird stuff in normal use and it'll be a massive resource hog, as you're rendering the scene multiple times each frame. I would recommend something like Candela SSRR if nice reflections are super important to you. I'd upload my scene for you to look at, but I'm at work at the moment.

16. RickyX

RickyX

So basically, reflections for unity cannot be realistic at all ? Wow

17. RickyX

RickyX

Well, without additional assets i mean.

18. RickyX

RickyX

What are they there for then, really stupid in my opinion.

19. Dantus

Dantus

The current implementation is mostly usable for non-mirror like reflections, for which it works really well. If you have a look at any material other than mirrors and check what happens with and without reflection, you will most likely see the difference.
    Unity has screen space reflection in the works, to get rid of the limitation.

RickyX likes this.
  20. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

That guy in video did precompute.

Also it looks like you have the probe as child to your character controller? You shouldn't do that.

21. RickyX

RickyX

Oh, thank you for informing me, ehhh yeah, non mirror reflections, but still, it's weird how it works for the guy in the video, but doesen't for me, and also on @Pawige 's picture it looks a lot better than it does for me.

22. RickyX

RickyX

He placed a reflection probe as a child of his character controller as well as i did.

23. RickyX

RickyX

Okay so I understand the reflections now, but why did theese lighting stuff i said happened in 2 scenes ? And why does it bake so much for me in the last 2 scene while in new one it doesen't ?

24. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I can't say without looking at the scene, but I see a huge plane there, which means it might take a while to calculate GI for all those texels.

25. RickyX

RickyX

This scene i showed is the right one, it's not the one takings so long, the ones i did before (i didn't show them in the post) were taking so long... Probbably becouse there were a lot of meshes ? But that's so stupid, what if i had a huge world with like 100 000 meshes, it would take a year to do it.

26. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Seems like people updating scenes from 4x to 5 are having a lot more issues with lighting than people starting scenes from scratch in 5.
    Is the scene you are showing an update scene from 4 or is it a scene created in 5?