Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 5 is coming and more!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Aurore, Mar 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

No special tool. Just a quick talented level designer. Good old Unity terrain. Can not wait for an update to that. Screw the lighting. Give us a new terrain system.

2. Crystal_Dorsey

Crystal_Dorsey

Interesting video, especially the adjustable offset part.

3. Moonjump

Moonjump

There are snapping tools for placing objects at the right height. http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/PositioningGameObjects.html

It is also covered in Unity's Live Training section. Watch the "Unity Tips and Tricks 4" video.

4. zenGarden

zenGarden

That's good, give us Unity 5 public now :D

rakkarage and ChrisSch like this.
  5. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

Public beta is available for U5 now

6. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Source? maybe you mean for customers who have bought the license

7. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

8. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Pre-Order Beta not public.

9. zenGarden

zenGarden

Propose me 20$ no more and i buy :p

10. Mikea15

Mikea15

Is there a plan to open the Unity5 beta to some customers? Non-paying I mean. Like what you did with Windows Build beta? Or Cloud programs? I'd like to get my hands on U5 :)

rakkarage and Baldinoboy like this.
  11. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

I think they might once they figure out the pro/free split. They are changing things so often to get them to work it might be too much to get the limited free version setup too. Change the mechanics of enlighten and you have to enable/disable things in the free version too.

So when they have the feature split and the primary mechanics set up with just some non game changer bugs then they might open up the public beta. Really looking forward to using Unity 5. I am checking the Unity page every 12 hrs hoping for some news:).

12. zenGarden

zenGarden

Humm ... i don't htink it's split decision that is retarding some public realease.
    1- March is the ideal period to launch UT5 public
    2 -A lot is going on with UT5 : it is far from ready today :
    from bugs , graphics problem, things to polish, and Enlighten is not making all that easy as it seems this tool is just taking too much time to bake.

Am i making your life easy saying you can avoid checking every 12hrs until we are in March 2015 ? :rolleyes:

pauloaguiar likes this.
  13. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Well if it was just being unfinished and not a feature split than why release it for pre-order and not public. Free users are most likely not going to get most of these new unfinished features anyway.

Have it in a separate download section so not everyone who does not understand what a beta is can find it. That way there will be less whining.

Just wondering but why is March an ideal release period?

I did not just mean making a feature split decision taking so long but
    that will cause delay. Which in part is what you are saying. People are using it though and it works. Might be seriously buggy but it works.

I will still check every 12 hrs just to make sure;).

14. zenGarden

zenGarden

Because January and February ar not strategic marketing months and it is some big event on March :rolleyes:

Simply because it's a sort of Beta something not finished with many problems, they don't want to give to all people a product in that state or they would have too much complains et people not happy, some would just go and use UE4.
    So the Beta having many problems is for people staying with Unity and a minimum loyal : the Pro users, as they baught they won't leave for other products or not cry out loud too much when they encounter issues with UT5.
    That's different behaviour you would have if you would give an unfinished product to the crowd using other engines.

The split features , they perhaps have begin to work on that, but this can wait until UT5 becomes lot more finished within some months.

15. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

A Moon Shaped Bool Unity Legend

I think that we would generally appreciate it if people add 'SPECULATION:' before they talk about release dates of U5, rather than just claiming random months.

Also, Unity 5 will release when it is stable, polished and everything is as tuned and tweaked as it can be. However, some developers have begun to release things with U5 (so its hardly 'unusable') such as Rust and Gang Beasts:

16. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

Wow that's a huge difference, especially cause Gang Beats is really physics based.
    Release it for Christmas. Or new years, or the other Christmas. Just... soon. :(

17. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

I think its obvious they are putting a HUGE amount of Dev into U5. They are at b16. I can't think of other releases that went that high prior to public open beta or release? I might be wrong, but that seems like a lot of releases on a beta for Unity

Baldinoboy likes this.
  18. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

That sort of makes me think they're close to the final version. :D

19. Dantus

Dantus

Unity 5.0 beta 17 is already available, you are too slow ;)

Baldinoboy likes this.
  20. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

LOL. yup. I just noticed that.

21. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Thanks for the video. The new PhysX is going to be such an amazing help. In my top 3 look-forward-to features in Unity 5;).

22. zenGarden

zenGarden

The video you posted if far from a projecty using PBR and enlighten on a bigger complex map :rolleyes:
    And i never said it was un usable, all depends on your project, but Enlighten or PBR are still not completed enought today.

23. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Here is a good one:

Seems to be playable and working. Looks pretty darn good too:). Using the Pirate Island pack and the shaders were changed to the Standard Shader(btw my #2 most looked forward to Unity 5 feature;)).

As far as I can see Unity 5 seems pretty usable. I know there are still bugs but nothing that will keep you from working on a project.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  24. zenGarden

zenGarden

It'a a bad example as terrain is just not so good , specially when he looks to the floor textures.
    The game is over too bright and bland, where are the colors ?
    the wood si white and the water is very strange also ?
    Very strange and bad look :eek:, i hope with UT5 release we will see lot more better than that ?

Ok if videos matters , here is a good one and Wake up :cool:

Another good example of scene visuals quality
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=aldqzUK-g9k

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  25. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Well there are some major differences in these videos.

First the part I agree with you with:

-The water is just not pleasant. This is a shader though and if you know Unity there are a lot of water shaders all over the place. So this is not Unity 5s' fault.

-Their night time is too bright even with a full moon but that is their setup and not Unity 5s' fault.

Now the parts I disagree with you with:

-Different times. In the videos you posted the sun was much lower than in most of the Hearts of Oak video. Different times of day make a major difference Also being in a cave will make a difference.

-Baking. I would guess the UE4 scenes probably baked a day or two. Not sure how long the Hearts of Oak scene precomputed but at least it is running in real-time.

-Reality. In midday things are not super vivid in color. Especially with sand reflecting white light every which way. Most unpainted/untreated wood is not colorful. Especially if it is out in the sun.

I thought this video was well done. Also consider this Hearts of Oak is a pre-alpha and the UE4 videos were final renderings.

zenGarden I have complaints about Unity but I am not constantly wanting it to be something else. Go use UE4 if you refuse to let it go. You obviously are in love with that engine. If you are in a team then use it. If you are just using Unity for mobile than only talk about it for mobile use. You do not need to come in here and consistently complain about something that has nothing to do with you and then compare it to UE4. It is illogical. Completely useless. Sorry man but it does get annoying.

26. zenGarden

zenGarden

I can't help you if you don't see the difference and better visuals and better looking scene it's not my fault :p

There is lot of styles between reality and gaming, players prefer good colors, not very reality not suited for some games, and your video is just too bad. But if you really prefer the other good for you, i would just not play a gale with such graphics.
    Where are gonna the colors :D ?

I use both, but seeing people finding a poor looking scene amazing , i'm speechless because i'm not fanboy for UE4 or Unity, for top visuals i take the best. As not fan of one or other i stay a minimum objective when it comes to visuals.

For 2D or 3D games not needing last graphics at all, UT4.6 just rules in many points from C# to some interesting tools from Asset Store.

You should know UT5 is far from finished and not polished, and it will take a lot fo time, perhaps we will see better things when it will release, but today it's not what some of us could expect from last graphics and effects.

But yes i will try to not compare a lot UT5 as it's far from released.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
  27. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

If you haven't used Unity 5, how would you be able to pass judgment on that its far from finished? :p

28. Archania

Archania

Lol but zenGarden must know all otherwise how else would they be able to pass judgment on a product they haven't used.

29. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

I've been using the beta since beta 1, and compared to Unity 4 its a lot better visually and has a better performance, but there are a lot of thing need to be done to match the current gen engines.

30. zenGarden

zenGarden

But again performance on what level size, how many materials, effects, particles, characters ?
    Saying good performance is just relative until we see big demos.

Jaqal likes this.
  31. ejhong

ejhong

Would love to get access to non-pro beta that can build webgl - esp. since chrome on mac no longer will play unity's plugin.

ChrisSch likes this.
  32. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

Patience I believe the final version is at our doorstep. :)

33. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

I think it requires nearly 8 - 12 other betas for it to arrive, just my opinion.

34. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

Shhhh just let it happen.

Baldinoboy likes this.
  35. yoonitee

yoonitee

... and yet you release Unity 4.6 with loads of bugs? Especially for Windows Store apps and touchscreens?

36. Chris-Trueman

Chris-Trueman

You cannot compare an engine from visuals alone.

Your game makes $100,000(the point in which you have to pay for Unity)

Unity $4,500(iOS + Android) or $225/month

UE4 $19/month + 5% of GROSS profits. Last I checked this is their ONLY pay model.

With both subscription models you need to pay for 1 year.
    Unity - $2,700/year
    UE4 - $240/year

Unity no royalties.
    UE4 $100,000 * 5% = $5,000

Unity used for 12 months of development = $4,500 or $2,700 for subscription
    UE4 used for 12 months of development = $5,240 + more royalties if your game(s) makes more
    UE4 charges quarterly and only if you've made $3,000+

I'm not including console figures because you should be over the $100,000 range if you are investing in console development.

Unity doesn't use the latest version of mono.net and some things do suffer from that(Unity 5 may change that)
    Unity doesn't have all the features that UE4 offers, but then it has some that other engines don't.
    Unity uses a modified version of Mono Develop that is buggy but you don't need to use it.

UE4 doesn't support as many platforms as Unity
    UE4 doesn't offer a free version or one that allows you to make some of a profit off of.
    UE4 you only keep paying them more.

Does a tool manufacturer want royalties for using their tools to build a product and sell it? Usually they want to pay you to advertise the product you use to build it like in racing.

There is a reason why Unity has 45% market coverage compared to the 17% of UE3/4(doesn't say who the closest competitor is but I'm sure its UE.)

If Blizzard used Unreal to make WoW at this point Epic could have retired off of them alone.
    Even from 2013 numbers they would have made $50,000,000+.
    Do you really want to pay that much of your GROSS profit just for a tool?

ChrisSch and Baldinoboy like this.
  37. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

All great points, but also add into consideration that you can contact UE peeps and get a deal on the full engine without the 5%. So the monthly 20$ is not their only pay model. No idea how much would that cost but its listed as one of the options, if you do not wish to pay royalties contact them. Which is what would Blizzard do. I just can't wait for Unity 5. :)

38. zenGarden

zenGarden

For indies 5% is really nothing compared to Apple royalties for example.
    If i could sell a game and gain some 300$ to 10 000$ i would be more than happy to give the little 5%.:rolleyes:
    Epic just asks you 20$ than you can cancel any time and use the engine to make and sell a game.

Epic is thousands time better and advantageous in terms of princing or royalties , specially in a team it's 20$ only for each, while Uniy PRo is 1500 $ something impossible when you work with beginners or people as hobby wanting to make and publish a game :rolleyes:

39. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Guys, we're not doing the old price war thing in this thread yet again. I'll delete topics that contain it (even if favourable to Unity) since really, it's done to death. If people cannot exercise simple maths, they deserve what is coming to them - either way.

Can't babysit adults, it's absurd.

Btw zen I've given you an infraction for spam because it is. It's beyond a joke at this point - I get regular bombs in my inbox from people plain cheesed off from your behaviour spamming about UE4. Take it their forums :)

Baldinoboy likes this.
  40. zenGarden

zenGarden

I forgot the title is Unity 5 is coming, but Mr Chris was already making the comparison , why some UE4 users should not have their word on that ?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  41. Chris-Trueman

Chris-Trueman

Thanks for the info, didn't know that.

I'm sorry about the post, it has all been said and I didn't need to say it again. Only wanted to do the comparison myself, to see if what I thought was true.

42. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

Math is the only exam I got left. :(

Baldinoboy and shkar-noori like this.
  43. Bhearus

Bhearus

I have been using the pre-order beta Unity 5 for each revision, I can't remember the initial one for pre-order beta, 9?, I have had zero problems with it. It is definitely faster, and easier to use, plus I am always, always running two editors at the same time testing between server and client. With both editors up it is perfectly smooth, responsive, and I have not had a single crash or aberrant behavior.

Therefore, good job to the team for their hard work, I am, however, very thirsty for some more documentation, which I know is coming.

My single solitary complaint which is not a terribly big deal to me as I do Time Capsule based backups for now is the asset server not working on the two platforms I really need it to work on, Mac OS X Yosemite and CentOS 7. Windows works fine though so no complaint there.

Ness and ChrisSch like this.
  44. Ness

Ness

How about Unity5 Christmas Open Beta? ;) Merry Xmas by the way ;)

Blarp likes this.
  45. zenGarden

zenGarden

Take a look at Beta forums , UT5 is far from finished, there is tons of things to fix also.

46. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

Of course there are tons of things to fix; its still in beta/development and the purpose of giving pre-order customers access to the current beta versions is so we can get controlled feedback on what works/what doesn't work so our devs can tweak, refine and fix anything that doesn't work as intended. :)

Of course, if you had actually used Unity 5, im sure you would have a ton of first-hand feedback for us too! :D

Ness likes this.
  47. zenGarden

zenGarden

Indeed, i have always massive feedback when i use something :D

I was just pointing Unity will need some months before stating UT5 as stable and good for public release, so i think it's a no way for christmas Mr Ness.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
    Ness likes this.
  48. nipoco

nipoco

So I watched the Unity5 presentation of Andy at Assembly and noticed that the reflections are kinda off when he moves towards those cryo chambers things. Do these reflection probes support box projected mapping?

Also I'm not sure about Lightmapping in Unity 5. I read a lot about Enlightens huge memory footprint on the final game build and the painful long baking times.

Not interested in a engine war. But I really like UE4's lightmass. It's quick and with fantastic results. I know it's no dynamic GI. But it's not always desirable to have dynamic GI. So it's a bit of a shame that Beast gets scrapped from U5.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
  49. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

They didn't then; they do now.

50. TheBorDr

TheBorDr

I am a hobbyist with Unity who intends to major in computer science (Haven't started college yet) and I have also tried using Unreal. And Neoaxis. And Cryengine. And many, many other engines.

Every time I switch over to another engine to see what it's like, I look and see that importing anything is a pain, the workflow seems like molasses going uphill in the middle of January, the interface seems like it was designed by the people who make cell phone contracts and the engine seems as inflexible as a Westbro Baptist Church member made out of titanium.

Then I realize that it is not the fact that the engines are bad, just that I am so spoiled with Unity (It was my first engine; I learned coding and all with it a few years back) that everything else seems poor in comparison. It says something when the free version of Unity is better than the full versions of everything else.

Unity free may not look the best, yes, and people frequently complain about the pricing. It has it's faults, as any engine does. However, I can get the same amount of work done in five minutes in unity and an hour in any other engine. And for me, at least, that's what counts.

And as for Unity 5, I am very, very interested to see the feature split. We've got stencil buffers, and I am already sacrificing to Cthulhu for render textures.

ChrisSch and Baldinoboy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.