Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 5 is coming and more!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Aurore, Mar 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

OK zen, thank you for your feedback. I think you list some valid points from a user that shouldn't be ignored by Unity. It's clear you love Unity's reach and some of it's power, so what you are asking for is Unity to raise their game.

And:

Yeah... where is that roadmap? :)

HeadClot88 and shkar-noori like this.
  2. zenGarden

zenGarden

Be active ,not passive :) ; google it or visit UE4 site, all is written.
    And you are out of subject asking UE4 things as the thread is about UT5 coming out.

Hippocoder : i'm a really simple user without any produced games.
    As simple user i asked many things other people already asked many times like many tools from the asset store that today should be integrated in Untiy ( advanced adjustable moving sky, adv particles, shader editor, visual prog, cinématic tool etc ...)

I like a lot Unity like some other 3D engines , but i really don't ask Unity to become UE4,they are two different companies and horizons that should stay the way they are perhaps.
    Epic is making games from beginning , so they have direct feedback on tools and editor needs, that's very different, they had no choice, they needed to push the far possible the engine as competing with other industry big shiny games, something more stressing Unity didn't had to manage.
    While Unity provided an affordable editor and engine for all indie people , than democratized game dev and braught desktop and mobile for free to all people (limited but entirely free :) )
    But Epic coming down to 20$ it will attract some people and teams as really small investment , in the long term or today perhaps Unity should have to make new prices for some category ?
    Low Royalties could be a real solution to test for Unity.

I can't say if Unity should try new pricing or system i don't know because i'm not Unity owner :D, and let's wait for UT5 release or some date annoucement ?

Until UT5 is out, i think Unity is too busy as their roadmap today is : bring UT5 public. After that , yes a roadmap on where will go UT5 will make sense.
    Appart from analytics and other tools , i think UT5 request will be mainly :
    - terrain
    - forward rendering support (like UE4 is bringing for performance and better vegetation)
    - usable multi threading system
    - streaming
    It's just ideas.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
    hippocoder likes this.
  3. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

I did google it once when the first UE4 version came out but I kept ending up at that UE4 FAQ page where it only says you gotta pay 5% in royalties. I don't intend on using UE4 any time soon, so that's why I only asked here, the few peeps mentioning UE4 on the off chance someone knows something. And if not, no big deal, I'll search their forums or email them when I consider using UE4. And yes its out of subject that's why I said "on a side note". :D

4. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Well, it's not as clean or complete as what you're describing but this sometimes give a picture of the future : http://feedback.unity3d.com/

ChrisSch likes this.
  5. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

True but even if its just complete guesses, its guesses given by the engine developers, not guesses by community.
    And yeah, I check out the unity feedback from time to time. :)

6. zenGarden

zenGarden

Again , that's the same problem with Unity, because this is a feedback that is a "one way" dialog, Unity devs not participating or saying what could be taken account or not for next iterations.
    But it's better than nothing.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
    ChrisSch likes this.
  7. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

A lot of those feedback posts do contain feedback from developers by their status, like under review/planned/started/declined etc.

Also, considering the flack they usually get when they talk about features that end up not making their way into Unity or are really late, I think I can understand why they are a bit cautious with talking about future plans.

They had a roadmap in the 3.x cycle (complete with a desclaimer that said nothing in it was an actual promise). A lot of bad things resulted from it.

Edit: With that said, I would like to see a roadmap again myself. Maybe they need to ressurect the <blink> tag for the disclaimer this time. :p

ChrisSch, HeadClot88 and shkar-noori like this.
  8. Ayrik

Ayrik

Just to clarify, Unity 5 does have both forward and deferred rendering, and gamma and linear lighting models.

I also wanted to add my two cents that the only reasons I'm still using Unity is 1) because I've been using it for a really, really, really long time and have an arsenal of libraries, tools, and old (useful) code; and 2) because working in C++ is painful. I don't miss anything about it and don't see myself moving back to it out of my own free will. And finally 3) is the big one: I love working in Unity. It just makes me feel good how easy it is to do so many things!

Unity 5 needs A LOT of work to get up to the quality of Unreal 4. Some of the things I'm disappointed about with Unity 5:
    • The default settings are terrible. I had to change 5 or 6 different render and lighting settings just to get it to look even slightly different than Unity 4. It should look really nice right out of the box.
    • The image effects are still not great. The Depth of Field blurs the skybox, Bloom is difficult to understand how to make look the way you expect, and so on. Also, again I stress that the default settings for these make your games look bad, and the default settings should be the most common what people expect in a AAA title.
    • It still costs $1500 per add-on. I was excited to see that upgrading my Team License was free! It would be great if each add-on was free to upgrade to the next version.
    • Terrain! (I know they're working on it)
    • Needs Retina support, especially with the new iMacs
    • Needs better support for the Mac trackpad.
    With that said. Again, I love working in Unity. Just keep improving the engine and making people feel good while they work and we'll be just fine.

ChrisSch and Baldinoboy like this.
  9. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

Out of curiosity, what 5 or 6 render and lighting settings did you have to change?

ChrisSch likes this.
  10. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

A Moon Shaped Bool Unity Legend

Out of interest, what 5/6 different render settings did you need to change? Are you using the latest Beta's default scene?

ChrisSch and shkar-noori like this.
  11. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

Completely agree about the three reasons why Unity is awesome. Plus lets face it, UE4 has some neat features, but we're pretty much only attracted to it cause of those graphix and the visual scripting which sounds cool, but its pretty much just that, visual scripting. Its still scripting, and you still need to know to script to use it. But dem graphix tho... :D

12. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Best comment ever!;)

Have not used Unity 5 to try out the new settings but otherwise I agree with this entirely. Very well put too. Thank you

13. zenGarden

zenGarden

It seems you are someone that needed to be persuaded that UT5 would be lot better than UE4 :D
    (because you paid a lot already ?)

That's not only graphics , UT5 will lack major toolset and features :
    - far better particle engine
    - cinematic tool (prooven , complete , professionnal)
    - shader editor
    - blueprint visual programming
    - Lod and collision tool
    - vertex painting
    - object painting for terrain and any mesh surface
    - fully dynamic parametrable sky with clouds
    - terrain where you can use any shaders made in shader editor (easy to use)
    - physics clothes, destruction ,car ...
    - better performance for bigger scale desktop games
    etc ...
    You have all and more for 20$ out of the box directly, no limitations , in a team that's more than affordable and complete than having to pay 1500$ that would be impossible for many people :rolleyes:

Unity relies too much on asset store for the tools and features that should be part of the editor and for what they don't want to develop and expand. That's not a good point while Epic is constantly bringing things , not only the community developpers.
    Will Unity bring cineamtic tool, Visual prog, collision editor,shader editor ... i doubt or it will take years.

Each new version of UE4 , we have new big features (Raytraced shadows, Sub surface scattering etc ...) many Unity don't have, each new version , that's new reasons to jump on board :cool:.

You can't compare a lot Unity with a company making games from long time (Unreal Tournament, Gears of War , Fornite ) that must push graphics and features each time further to be able to compete with other big games.

I just hope Unity will be some more active after UT5 release bringing really new features and tools ? (i have a doubt here) .And i hope UT5 will review the pricing , because between 1500$ and 20$ , the choice is more than clear for lot of people to access full features and tools.

It's my opinion about 3D desktop games only.
    ( I wasn't talking about mobile or 2D games where Unity is best on these domains ).

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
    Xaron and ChrisSch like this.
  14. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

What is missing? You can code attractors etc pretty easily I think. Is the performance lacking?
    Completely agree! We ended up doing a pretty simple tool, but otherwise, this is an area where unity is lacking. (they did show something in last Unite though, although it's probably not coming soon)
    There are a couple of pretty cool solutions around. I prefer writing shaders by hand anyway.
    Never saw the use of this, but each to his own.
    What do you mean? What is missing from Unity? There is a lod system and I'm not sure what you mean by collisions.
    Agree 100%. They showed something at ninjacamp a couple of years ago. I was hoping it would make its way into Unity but it never did :'(
    It's there for terrain, isn't it? (never played with terrain) I agree it would be handy to be usable on any surface.
    Does Unreal have something like that built in? (I searched but I didn't find anything)
    You can do that now though, can't you?
    Car and clothes are in 5 I believe. Not sure about destruction.

15. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

Yeah and even if you don't plan on using the engine you can give up 20$ just to play around with it. Still, first I need to give up 500-600$ for a new PC so I can play with it. :D

Anyway, where is that Unity 5 beta release or at least release date announcement already? >.<

16. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

No I am just excited to try it. Not expecting anything new in free but still looking forward to playing around in it. Even if it is the trial.

Okay okay okay okay okay. Sorry but this is getting really annoying. I admit Unity is far behind UE4 in features and graphics.

There are a lot of complaints I have about Unity(not as much as UE4 though) but this is not the place to constantly advertise UE4.

I understand before you were just stating your opinion and correcting but now it is getting old. People will do what they want.

People who are serious about developing will do research and have to make there own decisions. I am 99.99% sure they looked at UE4 and Unity side by side and spent nights changing their mind.

If they chose UE4 good for them.

If they chose Unity good for them.

They know what is best for their own project.

Unity WILL lose business with the new pricing of these engines. No doubt. Not sure the extent of the move(as of now not as much as I first thought) but Unity will lose business.

All in all though we all know what is going on and should use this thread for UNITY 5 not UE4. Start a thread about UE4(will not last long) if you wish to talk about it.

Now back to the correct topic. Is there any news about Unity 5? Is there a chance we will get it before 2015?

ChrisSch likes this.
  17. zenGarden

zenGarden

@AcidArrow:
    Here is some quick answers, not to say this is bets but to say what is available.

It is more advanced and the tool is better (even is more complicated when you go further)
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXK2Xbd7D9w

I never wrote shaders like many people and using shader editor i was able to make custom ones , as it is working almost as substance designer, very easy to understand and work with, a big advantage specially for non shader coders :)
    Unity should really consider such tool in the future.

I don't have Unity pro so i don't know about LOD, but for collision , you can decimate and tweak collision shape or make collision volumes.
    A small example www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZFHjCHiMxQ

When you make an empty level it's the default sky system, with clouds and many parameters, totally different from a static skybox.

As i use UT4.6 free , the terrain have predetermined shaders, while for UE4 you'll have to make the shader with the shader editor (there are many examples), i mean you can customize the terrain shader in shader editor like bringing parallax, or detail normal map, or emissive texture (lava, radiactive) or anything shader and bitmaps effects you could need. Total customization :)

About vertex painting tool it is really missing, you can paint on any mesh using any custom shader you can make on shader editor, so possibilities are infinite, from multitexture painting on any walls or any mesh of the level , color blending between meshes or special effects as water areas on the road etc ..This is really missing in Unity editor.

Unity relies too much on the asset store for two reasons :
    - It's less work not adding tools
    - It's additionnal money income for someone that already paid 1500$ , because the guy will have to spend a lot on Asset Store to get the additionnal missing tools and features

It's like a vendor selling some cheap car and having a special garage and station specific for that car only, you know that money will come a lot from gazoline, accessories, tires , new radio and anything the car didn't had out of the box :rolleyes:

I stay Unity for 2D and stylized 3D games prototyping (i'm using Free version) and i like Unity to quickly bring ideas into making a game, and how easy it is ; but when it comes to desktop games and full features and tools needed, UE4 is the tool for such affordable price and growing quickly on features.

Back on topic is there some list of complete features of UT5 ? i mean graphics, tools, sounds, physics, templates ?
    Is there new video tutorials about UT5 features and tools use ? or does the owners are not allowed to show about UT5 on videos today ?

ChrisSch likes this.
  18. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

I actually think that zenGarden is Mark Rein, in disguise. :D Keeps derailing threads into UE4 discussion!

Baldinoboy likes this.
  19. zenGarden

zenGarden

Who is Mark Reign ? LOL :D

Many of us can be gratefull to Unity Free, it's far better than many niche engines, but for bigger games on desktop, for me personnaly UE4 price and full features and quickly growing i find it better specially when i can't put 1500$ as simple indie guy.
    Some companies and users having the money for Pro still prefer Unity Pro for their own reasons also i think.

AndyTouch, bring us some public realease of UT5 or complete list features and new videos and we'll stop taking UE4 ;)

Believe me , once UT5 will be out, knowing if the pricing will change ? and split between Pro and Free, there won't be need to talk about UE4 and just take the right tool that fits the best the needs.

Also something we don't know : performance ?
    I said i was very disappointed by last small games wasteland 2 and Dreamfall, having bad performance ; so will it be some playable game demos coming like UE4 proposes ?

20. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

Don't play dumb now, Mark. :) Ive rumbled you!

Really? We have communicated already ALOT (Youtube, Blog, Forums, Social media, At Conferences, Emails etc) about what is going to be in Unity 5.0. Here is a summary:
    - Physical based Shading (Both Metallic and Specular)
    - Image Based Lighting
    - Reflection Probes
    - Light Probe Groups
    - New "Deferred Shading" Rendering Path
    - Improved Cubemap Workflow
    - Non Uniform scaled meshes don't incur memory cost or performance hit
    - Speed Tree Integration
    - Build Time Stripping of Unused Shader Features
    - Command Buffers
    - Integrated Geomeric's Enlighten (You don't have to license it separately).
    - Audio Mixer System
    - Brand new UI System (In 4.6 too)
    - PhysX 3 Integration
    - Export to WebGL
    - iOS8 Metal Support
    - 64 Bit Editor
    - State Machine Behaviours
    - Direct Blend Trees
    - Root Motion Authoring
    - New AssetBundle System
    - New View in the CPU Profiler that shows the frame samples laid out in a timeline.
    - Version Control: Scene and Prefab Merging
    - Module Manager
    - Increased NavMesh Performance and Accuracy
    - New 2D Physics Area Effectors
    - Frame Debugger for visualising Drawcalls
    - Improved Multi-Threaded Job System
    - HDR Workflow Improvements
    And probably thousands of other things (Its still in development). Bare in mind, this is all for Unity 5.0 (The first release) and doesn't even take into account all of the features already in Unity 4, and what we are working on for post-5.0: Integrated Analytics, Cloud Building and Distribution, In-Game Recording and Sharing, Game Ads, Cinematic Tools, New Input System, New Terrain, New Networking System and probably other bits and pieces that will be shown when we are ready to show them/talk about them.

Oh, and here is a playlist of talks our developers gave at Unite 2014 about all of this new goodness:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLX2vGYjWbI0RP5YmvwgqgJQrHGul-Tnr_

And there is very frequent blogposts on the website talking about all of this new stuff. :)

Hopefully thats enough of a list. :)

No news on any pricing changes, as there are alot of factors and moving parts in such a big decision. If there was to be a change in pricing, it would need to be for the best in that it benefits our developers and allows for Unity to still maintain its stability and to continue to have the resources to support the community and to keep making awesome new things in the toolset that we offer. If you are a free user, you still have a perfectly capable toolset for making and releasing games on mobile, console and desktop and we have made many efforts into adding more value to Unity Free (WebGL will be in Free, Console deployment is free, new UI is in Free, new services (Cloud Build, Analytics etc) will have free options).

I haven't played Wasteland 2 or Dreamfall so I haven't experienced the 'bad performance' you had. Performance is normally dependant on your hardware setup; I wouldn't bother trying to play something like Hearthstone on my iPhone 4 :D. There are improvements to alot of core areas in Unity 5.0 (Physics, Audio, NavMesh, GetComponent calls, Mecanim etc).

So there, you can now stop talking about UE4 in every post you make. :D

ChrisSch likes this.
  21. zenGarden

zenGarden

Such paranoia, i imagine the mark you talk was perhaps some user like me using both engines , and not beeing fully fan of UE4 not fully fan of Unity ? But that have perhaps defended both poinst of view ?
    It's Unity forums here, so no need to insist with UE4 also.

It will take time, but that sound great.
    About shader editor ? vertex editor ? visual programming (like snowdrop engine to allow 3D artist to make gameplay) ?

I agree, but like said many times; in the specific case where you are free user and would seek full performance, tools and features for some bigger desktop game , UE4 is better , more complete today for 20$ (specially in a team).

Hearthstone is a really small game, not 3D world. And yes Dreamfall and Wasteland was very disappointing , i had to adjust settings to low/medium and expected big frame rate for such simple 3D scenes.
    Nobody today can say if Unity 5 will be able to handle bigger games with full graphics settings until we see one :)
    ( i don't say i need UT5 to handle big more complex as we have UE4 for that)

I'll have to, because i don't want you to mistake me with it seems your old friend Mark, or you to become paranoid and see him in every user talking UE4 arguments.

So public release is Q1 2015, without change on pricing and almost same limitative Free version (i mean limitation on performance and visual features).
    This is still disappointing personnaly, but Unity 5 Free like Unity 4.6 Free will still attract people like me a lot :)

22. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

It was just a joke. Mark Rein is the vice president of Epic Games(the creators of Unreal Engine).

23. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Things I'd love to see that we would use right now:

- extend the cloth vertex painting tool to painting any mesh in the scene. On Unity alpha group for 5 I suggested that Unity might bake enlighten to vert colours. After some discussion staff agreed it's very feasible as they have a vertex channel they can use. So yes, vertex painting is also feasible. It does not need prefab support because if you want a prefab of it, you can author it so outside of Unity. Really, the use is scene based to splat detail or adjust colour or baking important info into meshes.

- A roadmap exactly like UE4's trello. It's been promised and all Unity needs to do is add a disclaimer that things can change. Are you copying UE4? no, you're responding to users who asked for it long before UE4 came out.

- Speed. I just want more speed. Specially shadows.

carking1996, ChrisSch and shkar-noori like this.
  24. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

Please don't spread rumours. :)

Unity 5.0 will be released when it is stable and as feature complete as needed for what we have promised. Yes, there will be a free version that will allow you to make use of the majority of the new features in Unity 5. Pricing change still TBD.

25. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

Will there be a free beta before the release like there was for 4.6? Or are the people who pre-ordered getting the beta, and the rest of us will see Unity 5 when its released as final v5.0?

26. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

My guess is the rest of you will see Unity 5 when its officially released. There's already both an open and closed beta so I can't see what the benefit is of having 3 betas.

ChrisSch likes this.
  27. HeadClot88

HeadClot88

Can we Unity Tech customers (You know people who buy stuff on the asset store with your 30% cut and people who have bought your engine multiple times over since V1 to now) at least be some what involved or get our word in about the pricing changes about Unity 5? if any?

It is obvious that Licensing is not going to be perfect one size fits all for everyone so you guys may want to involve your community as much as possible.

Just saying...

28. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I thought Dreamfall performed okay. And in some areas where it had trouble, I think they had some issues setting up culling properly.

With that said, Red Thread Games are blaming Unity a bit for the performance problem. For example, a mod on their forums said

Admittedly, it's a mod, not a dev.

But on the steam forums, there is an official post that says:

So, while I regrettably shift the discussion towards Unreal again (which is a discussion I am really tired of), I just want to point out, that Unity is not a very optimized engine is an opinion that is heard even outside these forums. I don't think it's true, but still.

29. zenGarden

zenGarden

I don't have a top notch PC but i can run AC Black Flag some with good settings, so when have in Dreamfall some simple indoor level with two characters on screen, i expect almost full effects on the game to have it run fast, but it is too much slow ( character polycount that Unity don't handle so good, and Unity effects not specially optimized are some problems among other i think) .
    For Wasteland 2 i had to push settings down, otherwise is was too laggy.
    Unity 4.x can be good until you don't add too much effects and lightening, but once you push it graphically , performance drop is sensible.

Why are you pointing people saying Unity is not fast for bigger games instead of verifying it yourself ? If you don't think it's true why posting that about Unity performance :eek: ?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  30. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Unity 4x is a bit bloatware tbh. There's lots of fat being trimmed in 5. Really happy we're all encouraging Unity to make breaking changes.

Else it'll stay fat.

31. Moonjump

Moonjump

That is good as long as they are not dropping features that have not been properly replaced. e.g. I still use the legacy particle system because of features missing in Shuriken. I also prefer the legacy interface, but the important bit is I do things in the legacy system that I cannot in Shuriken.

32. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

What is missing from Shuriken? (this is a genuine question, I haven't dabbled too much in either system to know their limitations)

33. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

1) I was pointing out that the opinion you shared is somewhat popular outside these forums and that there is this notion that Unity is not that well optimized (and I'm mentioning it to give the devs motivation to make a leaner/meaner Unity 5 ;) )

2) The only times I tried to make a scene that is graphically intensive, while mucking about with shaders and post effects, Unity performed as I expected on my machine (pretty nicely), as long as I accepted, for example, that its built in SSAO isn't that great. So in my experience, Unity is optimized. Then again, my scenes, obviously, weren't as complex as say AC Black Flag, so I can't exactly say what troubles I would run into once I got a world of that size. So while I don't "think" Unity is unoptimized, I don't "know" whether it is, because I haven't reached that kind of complexity. And I don't think creating it myself is a trivial matter, setting up a world that big takes time.

And as I said, Dreamfall looked like it had problems with its culling, hence the performance problems. Them blaming it completely on Unity is a bit of a cop-out.

34. Xaron

Xaron

For me simple scaling of a ParticleSystem.

I'm really looking forward to Unity 5. The only reason I still use the free version is that I think the pricing is just not balanced. I mean I'm fine with $1,500 for Pro but this should INCLUDE the AddOns for Android and iOS. Charging the same amount for the add ons is ridiculous.

ChrisSch likes this.
  35. Moonjump

Moonjump

Scripting access is not available on everything is a common complaint.

My biggest problem is the Systematic option on a Mesh Particle Emitter is not present. I use Systematic a lot in different ways.

Another one is force on a particle. The legacy system let me add Rnd force and Force for x, y, z separately. Shuriken has Force over Lifetime, and Randomize is always greyed out for an unknown reason. The legacy system is much more flexible, and much more understandable. The non-standard Shuriken UI doesn't help either.

ChrisSch and shkar-noori like this.
  36. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

Turbulence?

37. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Not really. Unity's historically had god-awful culling performance. This is threaded in 5 which should help matters once its fixed to not consume too much initial time.

I've seen projects from people which had 100+ms culling time which is way above normal even though not that many meshes. Yes you should manually cull as well :)

shkar-noori likes this.
  38. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Fair enough, but I saw transparent objects culling the objects behind them for example (and other things like that), which indicated to me that culling wasn't set up properly.

39. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

You can do turbulence with the random forces and/or little scripting, no?
    I am pretty sure that I can do random force x,y,z separately. Your point about scripting access not available on everything stands though.

@Shkarface Noori I am pretty sure you can do turbulence with random forces and/or minor scripting.

40. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

Never dug into shuriken, gotta dig more.

41. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Part of the culling problem is, say you use multiple cameras? You incur a heavy hit for culling for *every* camera regardless of layers used, and this grows with scene complexity. Say you have a simple UI camera? or post fx camera? This thing will get hit by culling.

Command buffers offer a route around that, but still not ideal.

42. Moonjump

Moonjump

My point about Systematic also stands. The best graphical features in my game make use of it.

I've had another look at random force in Shuriken. There is a tiny little triangle that opens a drop down menu. One of the options is "Random between Two Constants". Terrible UI already because of the missable triangle, but selecting that option gives 2 numbers each for x, y and z, but doesn't label them. Which is the higher number of each pair? Randomize now becomes selectable (why wasn't it hidden before? It hid the second x, y and z values). I have already selected a Random option, what effect does selecting Randomize have? It feels like I am fighting Shuriken at every step.

The legacy particle system was in Unity 5 when I saw it at the Develop conference in the summer. Can anyone tell me if it still there? Or is it part of the fat that is being trimmed?

43. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

I don't think they'll trim it until they consider Shuriken complete. Or introduce a new particle system.

44. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

It's the same story with legacy animation. Don't worry, Unity's not stupid. Although I bet Unity is in an almost-mild state of panic over Enlighten bake times, having dumped beast :D

Moonjump and shkar-noori like this.
  45. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

Beast was still around last time I checked, but they did say that it will be trimmed for 5.0 final.

46. orb

orb

That problem is a bit of a disaster. There's a new beta out by the time you finish a bake!

47. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Sorry for being stupid but are you guys talking about actual lightmap baking or the precompute process?

48. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

They are talking about the whole process. Right now, if you want a beast like workflow (and only care about completely baked, high density lightmaps), you have to have a pretty big precompute resolution and which means that baking becomes an overnight thing, at least.

49. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

Wow! That's how much it takes for me to bake in Unity 4. Can't imagine how long it would take with that. :D

shkar-noori likes this.
  50. zenGarden

zenGarden

Looking at this Unity 5 video making off , this is abvious some tool or option to place objects at the good height (with adjustable offset) on top of terrain or other objects automatically is missing (for quickly drop houses, rocks ,plants or any object on top of any surface)
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3_357QTrF8
    (That's strange the ligthening in that scene is bad compared to UE4 default one)
    EDIT : It seems some assets like the rocks for example are not good and not prepared for PRB and many post effects are not present also.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.