Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 5 is coming and more!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Aurore, Mar 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zenGarden

zenGarden

Beware, UE4 has so many stuff out of the box you could be tempted to switch before becoming deceived by UT5 free features. Also UE4 has any things out of the box , a small example, the animated configurable sky : Why does Unity don't have that out of the box ? :(
    There is many things like that , that would require you spending lot of money on the asset store to get same features that are out of the box in UE4.

UT5 pro is too high for some indie able to invest small money only, like able to buy some 3D engine like C4 or Esenthel.
    And UT Free version are still to be determined, and i think Free version will miss LOD, Culling , full effects effects , character animations on CPU instead of GPU etc ...

I like Unity for C# and strong points like 2D, 3D mobile , small desktop games, but for making shiny desktop games at small indie price UE4 is the best. It's my personnal opinion using both.
    (Unity will have to make a good choice on UT Free limitations this time as there is UE4 now.)

This actual thread was from around Mars 2014, the title is "Unity 5 is coming" o_O
    We are already 8 months later ... how more months before UT5 public release and Free version limitations are known ?

2. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Let us not start a Unity vs thread. UE4 is awesome but I have used it and I still much prefer to work in Unity free. If I was a very experienced dev with a very experienced team I might work in UE4 but I am not. So Unity is the best for me. My pc can barely handle UE4 so that does not help;).

Personally I will probably never pay $1500 for Unity as I am only working on stuff for the Asset Store so I would not use pro features for assets that free users might buy. Kind of a slap in the face if you ask me. So I understand it will be more frustrating for a dev needing these features for a game.

They are obviously having problems integrating new features. Probably enlighten. Hopefully it will be out soon and I am really wanting to know the free/pro feature split too. Everything takes time though so patience is needed. Reading every new blog as soon as it comes out. Shaking with excitement when I read them:).

Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
  3. zenGarden

zenGarden

I thaught you was expecting latest graphics to make some desktop game , but it seems it's not the case.
    And you are right UE4 requirements are higher than Unity, for people wanting to publish a game able to run on older but capable hardware Unity remains the best solution today.

Blogs are just blogs not final public release, there is no real date today, we are still waiting for it.

4. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

I am planning to make a game eventually but not now. Already have three ready plans. Need money and experience first though. Hard to get one without the other;).

Hopefully there will be some news soon. Looking forward to the standard shader and the new sky settings the most. Just that will make me happier:).

5. Breyer

Breyer

Since date expire for upgrade off is fact i bet that free/pro will be announced before 13 nov. Of course unity havent to do it but doing it after expire might look like trying to rape undecided between free or pro due to unknow split guys' wallet a bit... so stay tuned for next 3 days patiently ;)

zenGarden and Baldinoboy like this.
  6. Plumpman

Plumpman

Does the unity 5 preorder discount apply to the full purchase? Is it going to be more than $1500 after nov 13th?

7. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

$1500 is the standard price for new purchases. There's no discount on this; only on upgrades.

--Eric

8. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Sounds like the logical option. Getting close though. Two more days:confused:. Keep on going to the Unity page for any blogs.

9. zenGarden

zenGarden

Unity 5 : It is really coming o_O

10. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

1. Stop trolling.

Yeah? I'd like a lot that Unity does out of the box that UE4 really doesn't. Like um, licensed fmod, licensed enlighten, licensed everything else. I also would like UE4 to actually even have viable support for platforms which Unity supports. It doesn't support half as much. I'd also like *free* C# support with UE4 - which really ain't happening, period - you will pay xamarin.

I'm a tolerant guy, but get informed or don't bother posting cos it ain't roses on the other side of the fence either.

11. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

A Moon Shaped Bool Unity Legend

Also, We are working on building-in cross-platform analytics (For monitoring your game's usage and what your players are doing in your games), in-game recording and sharing (For social discoverability and spreading your game via social media; which the majority of survey stats says it the most effective way of someone to discover a game), easy-to-setup game ads (Might not be everyone's cup of tea, but you could promote your other games thus getting more users/downloads; also potential for extra revenue) and cloud building and distribution.

These are services that no other engine currently supports of the box and they are absolutely crucial for post-release maintenance and getting more people to discover your games. And we are going to make integrating all of these as smooth and as painless as possible into your games. I think in-game recording and sharing is about 3 lines of code. Analytics is even less in most cases.

Moonjump and Devil_Inside like this.
  12. zenGarden

zenGarden

It was some small ironic humour nothing bad (the thread is from March)

C'mon ....
    - LOD tool
    - advanced dynamic sky with adjustable parameters
    - temporal AA, all other full screen effects
    - shader editor
    - vertex painting tool
    - advanced particles engine
    - soft shadows , now raytraced shadows system
    - cinematic editor
    - behaviour tree
    - visual programming
    ... and some i must have not listed here, all that out of the box for 20 $ , nothing to license.
    With UT Free i would have to spend lot of money to have such needed tools.

Unity pros :
    - best for targetting very large PC range
    - best for 3D mobile
    - best for 2D games on mobile or desktop .
    - best for easy C# langage without having to pay anything and fully supported
    - UT 5 will catch up with UE4 graphically (where are some playable UT5 demos ? )
    - Asset store game genre kits
    - Asset store specific tools (dungeon editor etc ...)

UE4 and plugins can be hard to manage as there is so many changes each release, any toolkit plugin could no more be compatible in a new version, specially using C++, that's a downside with UE4 today.

I will still use 4.6 or 5.x Free for a mobile project and another desktop arcade game.
    But for me and the team this was no brainer as we needed last graphic features and tools , paying 20$ was more than affordable (only one could have perhaps buyed Unity Pro).

Most of the indie games published never integrated such things and never asked them. And many gamers just posted videos of their game on Youtube without them to ask anything.
    (i'm talking desktop games not mobile)

You are talking mobile here no ? But indeed we have adds on TV we don't need them on games.

Forgive my cruel response :) , but is not crucial to have the engine out and working with awaited features before putting advertising system or recording ?
    Between some engine having better graphics features and another having better recording/ads system what people will choose ? (i'm still talking desktop games only)

It is some area where UT5 could be advantaged compared to UE4 when it comes to desktop and PBR : performance. Actually UE4 is very demanding , even small scenes requires a good hardware, perhaps UT5 will be faster ?

It is just my opinion, and perhaps i'm someone very stupid and my response don't make any sense :) ?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  13. Trigve

Trigve

IMO, all these features are not necessary for the majority of games. I think that these functionalities are perfect example for the asset store packages (but then the API needed to be more open). I would rather have a complete API (like for instance UE4 - I mean here API not the source code) which I can use to extend the engine I need, than a small subset of API with lot of black-boxes which cannot be tweaked.

shkar-noori likes this.
  14. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

Thats the problem; most indie game developers haven't integrated these services so don't see the benefit of them. If you ask any mid-to-major studio, they will swear down that stuff like Analytics is absolutely critical in releasing a game, and understand how that game is being played and for balancing/fixing stuff post-release. For example, if you don't use Analytics to find out the percentage of people that get past your tutorial, then that is really damaging for the longevity and replayability of your game. What if only 2% of your users can understand your tutorial and get past it? That is 98% of unhappy players who won't share the game with friends and will probably write bad reviews saying "lol it sux; too hard". If you knew information such as 98% of your users die to the first enemy in your game, you could then re-design and tweak and balance the game accordingly and make a much better experience available. This is also important in the growing trend of almost every game being released in pre-alpha/alpha/beta for getting feedback from your users, so you can in-turn make a better, and more playable, game. Not every single one of your players will give you their feedback (Or it being useful, understandable and constructive). Analytics lets you catch that useful data that you want/need.

Now, most indies don't want to integrate Analytics because:
    - Its too much work to make your own back-end.
    - SDKs for each system
    - Don't see the benefit of it.

The acquisition of Playnomics and integrating their Anayltics system into Unity these issues:
    - Back-End system already made. It takes 5 mins to integrate into your project then boom: Data being caught. Also, you can set up custom event data (How many bullets fired, most preferred weapon, length of time players spent on a level, most selected character, ratio of ios to android etc).
    - Only one API for all platforms it'll support; currently iOS and Android.

Yes, im talking about mobile. And it isn't just TV that has ads; football pitches, road billboards, milk cartons, leaflets, etc. Integrated ads isn't exactly a new thing, especially in the games industry. ;)

Its not crucial for an engine to have these things, but its crucial to have these things for releasing a game and all the stuff that happens after you ship it (After all, thats what I hope game developers goals are :D). To quote a publisher from Paradox Interactive, "When releasing a game, you can either be a rocket launcher of herpes. Never be a rocket launcher. A rocket launcher blows up quickly then fizzles out. Herpes constantly develops and has a longer lasting impact." The post-release services we are integrating in natively are aimed at common issues all developers face after they click the 'Ship' button.

Important problems such as Discoverability, Game Balancing, Multi-Device Testing, Social Features, Advertising are thing that most indie devs either don't bother with or can't be bothered to do; and this can seriously make or break indies going full time and keeping their community of players happy. Better Graphics and Features will always be worked on, and our engineers are working harder than ever on Unity 5.0 and the future of the core toolset, but these aren't make-or-break for your game.; there have been thousands of Unity games released, and have been incredibly successful, without the need for hyper-realism graphics.

Of course, if you see no need for understanding how your users play your game and would rather just release & hope your audience plays your game how you intended, then I wish you luck! :D

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
    ChrisSch and Devil_Inside like this.
  15. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

I'm really glad you guys are actually doing this. For me it was a real pain in the ass to deal with all the native plugins for analytics, ads, leaderboards, etc, for the different platforms. Each plugin pollutes your project folder, conflicts with other plugins and has additional steps that are required to make it function.
    It will be really great if you can make it all integrated and running out of the box.
    I don't know how feasible it is, but it would also be really cool, if you could integrate the iOS GameCenter and it's Google Play Service alternative, as well as the IAP support for all the major platforms.

16. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

Ive seen the current version of the Unity Analytics dashboard (Still closed beta) and you can really drill down specific feedback of your game. Want to find out how many of your iOS users, in Australia, managed to beat the game and slay the final boss? Takes about three clicks to get a timeline of that info. One more click to compare that with your iOS users in whatever other country. And the API is going to be incredibly straightforward to implement too. :) We found that most devs really can't be bothered faffing about in setting up the back-end of these sorts of systems, so we do 99% of the hardwork for you. :)

And the plan is to have game-recording and sharing, analytics, cloud building and multi-device distribution, game ads and whatever other post-release services users may need, integrated directly into the editor. Until that integration is in and running smooth, SDKs should be available to be imported in.

Grafos likes this.
  17. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

How will this be different to Flurry, also which mobile platforms are supported?
    I hope all mobile platforms and not just iOS and Android

18. zenGarden

zenGarden

About desktop games and bigger games, there is Alphas and Betas with players writting detailled feedback, nothing can replace that or testers detailling what they don't like in graphics, gameplay or whatever. For example a number would say weapon Z is never used, but a report of test play session will say : "The weapon reload si too slow and the colors are too flashy", that's better than a number only showing something.

Also games can fail because you choosen some graphics style and specific gameplay and world that could not be the taste of the majority, that's not only a matter of analytics. Perhaps companies ask for that anaytic tool more than small indies ?

I find video capture tool lot more usefull , it would allows your beta testers to send videos of graphics and gameplay problems, it would be lot more precise than only writting some report.

will it be some in game viewport capture tool ? Perhaps with some additionna tool like adding text or derawing circle,rectangle on image ? It could be lighter than capturing videos in terms of size and could be as good to report about your game for testers.

We know that UT devs worked a lot to deliver UT5, all Unity users should be gratefull to that marvellous people :cool:
    ( But i maintain that i'm among some people that would ask for tools out of the box and not having to buy them on Asset Store instead ;))

19. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

Well, you of course still have the qualitative data of "Your game's art sux, make it better!" but also the quantitative data too! You can never have enough data and feedback about all aspects of your game. ;)

Video capture (Everyplay) is also viable for game testing/feedback, and records it in the built game (Not the editor). You can also tag extra data aswell (Although I havent done that myself yet) with your player's video.

20. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

No one said that analytics should replace feedback. Analytics should complement it, because:
    1. Not everyone will give you constructive feedback
    2. Not everyone giving feedback understands the real reason why they don't like the weapon, or why a level seems hard.
    Analytics gives you raw data that you'll be unable to obtain in any other way.

shkar-noori likes this.
  21. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

Analytics will support iOS and Android to being with but will expand to other platforms in due course.

22. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Looked at the roadshow and it says Unity 5 (beta) until the 25th. So is Unity 5 coming out between the 25th and December 5th?

Really surprised they are passing the pre-order date without announcing any Pro/Free news.

23. ecurtz

ecurtz

What's going on with the upgrade offer for version 4.x users apparently expiring today versus the Upgrade FAQ stating it will be available until the release of 5.0?

24. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

Never really gave analytics much thought but now that you made me, it'll be the first thing i integrate. Plus I looove stats. :D

I struggle a lot with lack of feedback because a lot dont bother to review. So far whether itd games or assets I came to the conclussion that only 1 in 50-100 actually bothers to rate your product. And thats just the rating, not an entire review I so desperately need from every single player. So I can't wait for that, ads, and unet too, I'm so excited about it all I could cry! :D

Especially now that Unity 5 is at the doorstep, I'll hold off from starting a new project so I can build with those things in mind from grounds up. :D

25. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Be interesting if we can have analytics for vita, ps4, xb1, desktop, etc - what's the odds of it going beyond mobile?

shkar-noori and ChrisSch like this.
  26. zenGarden

zenGarden

Be interesting if we can have analytics for vita, ps4, xb1, desktop, etc - what's the odds of it going beyond mobile?
    Analytics is cool , but you won't make your game with analytics; the important is the tools for audio,graphics, gameplay. Yes i'm not fan of analytics :p

Because it's hard to decide as this will have a big impact on indies that will choose to UT Free or will take a tour with UE4 or Crysis solutions. (Crysis is complicated but a viable solution where some indies make great games like LichdomBattleMage for example, and a new audio system is coming to replace the licensing one)
    So i imagine choosing Free/Pro features is more complicated with some concurrents.

Trigve likes this.
  27. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

Well, the pre-order was mostly relevant to those who already own pro, as it didn't offer anything to those who don't. So, unless you own pro and you decide to switch to free, which seems unlikely to me, there is not much use in knowing the pro/free split.

28. zenGarden

zenGarden

For example i doubt render to texture to be on Free, this feature is among those that make people take a decision : stay with Free without beeing able to have great post process effects on a 3D scene or buy Pro.
    I doubt this will change like you said , but a public release and confirmation will clear that and impact some people starting new projects; if it was easy to split , it would have been announced like : "Same split features" for example :)

29. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

What I'm saying is that the end of the pre-order period is irrelevant here. If you don't own pro, you lose nothing by purchasing it even after the pre-order period ended because pre-order didn't give any advantages to free users.

30. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Seriously, I do not want to burn 2-3 years of development and find that my free DLC *doesn't* address difficulties that my players may be experiencing. If you want to be a success these days, analytics aren't optional.

ChrisSch likes this.
  31. zenGarden

zenGarden

Arrrgghhhh another DLC fan :eek:, DLC are evil, it's easy money , why companies can't finish their game entirely and propose real and complete extensions like before instead.
    Take a look at Cd projekt , DLC will be free in Witcher 3, what a good behaviour that all players recognize. We can only be gratefull and have respect for a company not fooling players with paid DLC.

You talk mobile here ? Because success will come from your game impression on players. Shovel Knight a desktop retro game because it was appealing graphically and had super gameplay and great levels, all players quickly talked a lot about it and put many videos, online game magazines talked about it also, all that communicaions throught many channels quickly braught popularity.
    For desktop the answer is : No :) , because many great indie and AAA games never uses Analytics and been massive success.

Hey, that's not your analytics tool that will make me buy a Pro version :D

Trigve and shkar-noori like this.
  32. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

1. I said free DLC, so read it. DLC is downloadable content, which includes patches.
    2. AAA games use analytics non stop, all the time. Most successful Indies use analytics also.

ChrisSch and shkar-noori like this.
  33. GiusCo

GiusCo

Thanks Andy, I can clearly see UT is trying to give hobbyists much needed clues together with tools. Keep going!

34. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

How do you know what's the answer for desktop? I'm pretty sure the majority of AAA titles use analytics in one form or the other.
    Take any multiplayer FPS for example. How do you think they balance all the weapons, upgrades, attachments, levels, charaters, etc?

ChrisSch likes this.
  35. zenGarden

zenGarden

Ok it's all beta tests and perhaps some analysis tools , it's not communicated in many games so you don't know until they tell you what they have used or not. But don't get me wrong many desktop successful indie games never used analytics. But it's a new tool, usefull for many people , so it's a good thing and better than nothing new.

36. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

You are incredibly mis-informed if you think that many desktop scuessful indie games never used Analytics. And Analytics is incredibly far from being a 'new tool'. In fact, it's probably been around much longer than video gaming has. (I have no stats, but I wouldn't be surprised if my thesis was correct. I'll wait until SuperPig/Eric corrects me if I'm wrong. :p)

ChrisSch likes this.
  37. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

I'm no expert on analytics, so I'll just agree with whatever SuperPig says. ;)

--Eric

38. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

Analytics are constantly used by a lot of major and successful companies who give a, ehem... care. Whether its games or some other products, they're there. Just recently I installed a few apps/games that asked me to allow analytics (or didn't ask but I saw it enabled in settings). Some of them was Opera for mobile, and ESET NOD32 for pc, for example.. Its crucial for success. Ofc you can always count on luck or money to just throw at your game, or rely on incomplete short, often not well formulated feedback, till it looks and plays good enough for people to play it. But that's extremely inefficient. I don't see the problem with using both user feedback and analytics. The more information you get the better.

39. orb

orb

Valve used analytics to tweak parts of Half-Life 2 which were too hard. Analytics can be awesome. HATED THAT ELEVATOR!

40. zenGarden

zenGarden

Analytics is a small par of Unity, and i don't think it's what delays so much UT5 public relesase.

41. Jacksendary

Jacksendary

I have one simple question... Will Unity 5 have better thread support, or generally have support for multithreading?

Currently the largest turn off for me is the ability to not use thread for anything unity3D related and need to "dispatch" everything I do in a thread onto the main thread by using a queue system or similar "weak" solution. would love to see a little better support to multithreading

42. HeadClot88

HeadClot88

Lets stop going at Unity Tech Employees necks and wait and see what the new licensing agreement will bring.

I have a feeling unity has an ace up their sleeve but they are just not ready to show their cards.

Baldinoboy likes this.
  43. zenGarden

zenGarden

Unity will keeps mobile advantage, but on desktop some of us prefer to stay UE4 that is progressing fast (4.6 already almost here).

I smell prices changes (UE4 and Cryteck are really good alternatives with totally different prices that are not ignored). I think Unity is waiting for a strategic date to bring the new annoucements, not only the "ready to public release" date; something like somewhere in Q1 2015.

44. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

Interesting about the 'UE4 for Desktop' comment. I can't say I have actually seen a great deal of UE4 Desktop games on Steam (or Console/Mobile), but more and more Unity desktop and console games being released very frequently, in recent times. For example, Never Alone recently shipped to Xbox One and it looks beautiful! (And made with Unity 4 :) ):

I would be interested in seeing any recent desktop-related engine stats, if you have any. :) Of course, if im wrong, feel free to correct me!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  45. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Probably best not to go down the road of comparing when UE4 hasn't been out long ;) certainly not long enough to release much. But I'm quite sure that's going to change, so no resting on laurels!

46. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

Not comparing! Just stating what I see and trying to understand a user's comment. :D Although, UE4 has been in development for 11 years and has been available for 7 months, so it has been around a while for indies to release some stuff. :)

47. zenGarden

zenGarden

No UE4 is very new , 11 years ago it was other versions and for previous iteration UDK3 is totally different engine and editor. It is rewritten from scratch, but they kept the good tools ideas and their best 3D features.

There is already some UE4 indie game on Steam and UE4 plays in big productions field, a short example :
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=299726921
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/230840/
    Stomping Land moving to UE4
    Rime
    Fornite
    Fable
    successfull Tera mmo creators using UE4 for their next blockbuster mmo
    City of titans will use UE4
    and many more ...

From my perspective , UE4 is better than Unity for Desktop today, Unity beeing better at mobile with wider range hardware. In UE4 some indie companies and big companies are already making bigger scaling industry (or AAA) games than Unity. It is developping really fast, lot of people jump on board for 20$.
    And UE4 seems ahead , for example many people asked forwad rendering and trensluency for vegetation ,so it is coming in 4.6. UT5 seems using deferred only today or am i wrong ?

I tested Dreamfall Chapter made with Unity , i got simple scenes with full effects was not not fluid at all when there is only two characters in some simple level (i could run better graphic demos in UE4 with better frame rate).

It's up to people to decide if they can go C++/Blueprints and 5% Royalties or C# No Royalties.
    Once again take the tool that has what you need, no engine is totally the best in every domain :)

The hread is not for comparing UE4 and Unity, but as user of both i wanted to clarify things , because it is easy to quickly post without verifying :rolleyes:

But again it's only a personnal opinion, perhaps i'm totally wrong ?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
    IcyPeak and VicToMeyeZR like this.
  48. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I guess you use Unity because of the no royalties and C#, right?

49. zenGarden

zenGarden

About Royalties, i cared at beginning, but no more as 5% is not so much and that would mean i would have been successful enought to win some 3000$, so UE4 would have allowed me to win that money and i would have paid 20$ only ,
    so i would find normal to give some little 5% back to Epic for all the work they put on their engine, and all the fast improvments they make based on our feedback.

I use Unity because of simple points discussed many times :
    - Large range desktop machines : be able to make a game using forward rendering for a large range of machines (something that will change as UT5 will come with Deferred only, or am i wrong ?)
    - C# and components system.
    - Mobile with UT Free (2D,3D) : prooven, better performance, heavy range of Android devices supported
    - 2D for desktop (better performance than UE4, more stable , more finished)

Why UE4 , some few points :
    - The small indie team can afford 20$ each compared to 1500$ each that would have been impossible
    - For bigger scale world with pushed graphics , UE4 is the tool , Big companies take it for 20$ and source available as they can customize and improve what they want or bring their own middleware.
    - Performance in UE4 for bigger games is better in many points ( i was really disappointed by Dreamfall and wasteland 2 so bad performance, when there is so few things on screens, and long loading times)
    - No limits, you have full engine source and features at 20$
    - Full communications on releases features planned and clear response like when you ask for example "can we have Y feature on next release ?" , they say : some "yes" or "no" or "after next version perhaps"
    (you know if you will want to pay 20$ or not for new release; based on what features will come)

Another point i see a difference is Feedback :
    - Epic take it in account and respond many times when it makes sense; if they plan something you will have the infos on the forum. It is the most communicative i never seen with users; like Unreal Engine was a small 3D engine o_O
    - With Unity , it was a thread about new terrain system, but only users posted and Unity reading, there was only single way communication. No engineers came back saying: "we will make that features on terrain, and that one, what do you think ?, what should be priority features ?"
    It sounds really like UE4 was a smaller company communicating on forums while Unity is a really bigger onecommunicating only the big lines :D
    Or Unity is lot more comunicative with companies making money and lot less with simple users :oops: ?(i can't say as i'm a simple user indeed)
    (But hey, each engine manages the way it wants communication, and success is not based on that only , but it's appreciable point when communication is in the two ways)

Anyway, some people could use Unity for very different reasons than mines , for example Royalties could matter a lot to some indie companies, or C# could be what would make some taking Unity over UE4, or simply feel more at ease with it.

It's something i already talked as simple user , not company, and the thread again is not UE4 and Untiy features, but about it is coming ;)
    I would prefer some estimated date for UT5 public release or some public beta :rolleyes:

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
  50. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

This is THE single thing I like the most from UE4. When I first saw the roadmap I was like "Wow we'll actually know whats to come and when? o_O ". Sure its all estimated time, but its better than being completely in the dark. Not saying Unity keeps us completely in the dark, but we do wanna know a lot more, of things to come, and with UE4 we don't ask that question, because they're very talkative, and dat roadmap is pretty cool. But Unity 5 will have a public roadmap available too, right? Or did I mix that up with something.

On a side note, does anyone know how do developers, and UE4 keep track of the 5% royalties? Or how does UE4 know who needs to pay them? Is it all manual accountant work, or is there some automated process?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.