Search Unity

Unity 5 - iPad 2GB Resources.Assets Too Big Too Load

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by oldbushie, May 3, 2015.

1. oldbushie

oldbushie

I'm using Unity 5.0.1. For some reason, the resources.assets file that gets generated in Xcode for the iPad build is too big. It's a bit over 2GB and as a result cannot be loaded by the built game. Anything in the resources folder cannot be found. Xcode is able to build, at least, but the result just doesn't work well.

I noticed that on Android, the assets get broken up into smaller chunks that don't cause loading issues on Android. I'm able to build and run the full game in Android no problem.

I tried breaking off our translation images since we have a lot, and putting each language in its own bundle, but it crashes on iPad 2 when I try to load said asset bundle. I could try making a prefab for each language that contains references to each image from a General Assets location, but from my understanding, that would cause all images to sit in memory at once which is undesirable. What is the best way to offload or manage all the translation images while keeping memory usage optimal? Should I just make a prefab for each image?

All I know is that once I get resources.assets below 2GB, the game has no trouble loading it. Is this a hardware limitation on iPad?