Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 5 Canvas Scaler

Discussion in 'Unity 5 Pre-order Beta' started by ldb, Oct 27, 2014.

1. ldb

ldb

Hi,

I've got a project from 4.6 beta 21 I'm trying to move to 5 beta 10. the Canvas Scaler component seems to have been removed in Unity 5? What's the replacement?

2. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

I think - someone correct me if I'm wrong - that the version of the UI system in 5b10 is the same as was in 4.6b20, so the changes made in b21 (like replacing the Physical Resolution / Reference Resolution components with Canvas Scaler) aren't in yet.

This is a temporary state of affairs; the UI team are focused on 4.6, but stop occasionally to integrate their latest changes into 5.0. So you should see the UI as it is in 4.6b21 (or later) show up in a future beta of 5.

3. Whippets

Whippets

Very helpful, ty. I had no idea we were behind on UI version. I presumed that 4.6 and 5.0 both had the latest UI version.

4. superpig

superpig

Nope, there've been enough changes internally between 4.6 and 5.0 that it needs someone to actually stop what they're doing and spend some time re-integrating the work. And right now everyone on the UI team is fixing 4.6 bugs and doesn't want to stop what they're doing :)

5. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

6. Dreamzle

Dreamzle

Beta app is beta...

The whole definition of beta releases is, they aren't done, they are experimental and you should expect things to not work correctly yet.

7. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Yes I clearly understand this, so lets no go off topic here, I'm just saying I'm a bit disappointed as of course the whole community is expecting Unity 5 and everyone is excited to start building and converting to this platform.
    Having 2 beta version of Unity (4.6+5) out and patch releases is currently getting slightly messy as each version has or has not features of another version, so I just hope Unity is more clear about this and provides some official information.

8. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

lol
    You clearly understand that it's a beta, yet you feel disappointed and you're demanding official information about random UI features missing, when it was clearly stated that UI is developed on a different branch and it takes time for them to move features into U5 beta? *facepalm*

Ostwind, chiapet1021 and MrEsquire like this.
  9. Deleted User

Deleted User

I like how he liked your post after you slapped yourself in the face from disbelief, awesome :).. Yup UT 5.0 needs some polish for the most part it's been pretty solid.

Whippets likes this.
  10. djweinbaum

djweinbaum

Dude, the new canvas scaling component was a part of 4.6 b21 which was released literally one week ago. 5.0 b9 is older than one week. Could you give them 2 seconds?

11. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Listen before you start attacking me, I been using 4.6 when the public beta came out and been building my uGUI since then, I don't think I used any specific features of b21 at all, all worked perfectly well in b20, so stop trying to assume everything when I simply ask from official word from Unity team....To many people assuming in the forums these days without concrete links to source of information.

Edit: Is this a Canvas Scaler issue or not all I want to know?

Code (CSharp):
    1. MissingMethodException: Cannot find the requested method.
    2. UnityEngine.UI.Selectable.OnCanvasGroupChanged () (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Extensions/guisystem/guisystem/UI/Core/Selectable.cs:136)

12. ldb

ldb

Makes sense, hopefully won't be long before it's added to 5!

13. ldb

ldb

Just installed U5b11, still no canvas scaler :(

Any idea when this might be included?

14. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Do you think the builds are the same for Pre Ordered customers and Beta Testers?
    If so why the hold up with builds to customers?

15. Dantus

Dantus

Maybe they wait with the pre order beta until the newest 4.6 changes are integrated to avoid pointless discussions :)

Devil_Inside likes this.
  16. superpig

superpig

I believe the UI team have not yet had time to integrate the latest changes into 5.0.

They are the same builds.