Search Unity

Unity 5 beta support?

Discussion in 'Unity Build Automation' started by schmosef, Oct 27, 2014.

1. schmosef

schmosef

Any news on when you plan to start supporting the Unity 5 betas?

Is it a matter of day/weeks or will it not be for several month?

2. David-Berger

David-Berger

Unity Technologies

Currently you can only use Unity 5 beta if you have pre-ordered Unity 5 or if you are Unity Pro subscriber as seen here. There are still many Unity4.x Pro users who cannot use Unit5 beta builds, but they can use Unity Cloud Build, therefore it won't be supported for now. We will let you know when something changes though.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  3. leftchannel

leftchannel

This is just one opinion, but I find that attitude a little disconcerting. "Because all users can't access the beta, we won't support the beta?"

If the response were more along the lines of "Things are unstable and rapidly changing in the beta, therefore we won't put in the amount of time needed to support it at this time", that I would feel better about... I'm hoping this is just a communication issue.

schmosef likes this.
  4. hypeNate

hypeNate

Unity Technologies

To clarify: Once Unity 5 is out of closed beta, Unity Cloud Build will add support for it as soon as possible.

AdamKane and schmosef like this.
  5. schmosef

schmosef

Ok, understood.

I'm on a Pro subscription so I have access to the beta.

I'm eager to test some of my projects with Unity 5 on iOS and Android.

I've been spoiled by UCB; the process of manually building for each platform and then deploying to my various devices just seems like too much work. :)

hypeNate and kujo like this.
  6. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

I'd also like to chime in here. This is a really unfortunate situation since in my opinion many people who are willing to try out a cloud build beta are also the ones who eagerly convert their projects to a Unity 5 beta. Doing so will make cloud build unusable though since at least me I don't want to maintain two codelines for 4 and 5. Can't you do a simple check when executing the build if the user has the correct license? Shouldn't that be one rest call to your internal license server?

7. TheEvilRabbit

TheEvilRabbit

+10

Realty need it guys

schmosef likes this.
  8. Wisteso

Wisteso

As soon as support for Unity 5 in UCB is available, we can move to Unity 5, but currently we're kinda stuck in limbo.

UCB is saving us SO much time with iOS builds that we would be much worse off if we upgraded our project to Unity 5 since we'd lose the ability to use UCB.

As soon as you guys can add this, we will definitely be jumping on it.

schmosef likes this.
  9. Zilk

Zilk

I'm waiting for this as well. My project is sitting on Unity 5 right now so I can't use Cloud Build right now. Any ETA on when this might happen?

10. NG-Samppa

NG-Samppa

Hi,

My company would also be very thankful if you would add Unity 5 beta support to Cloud Build

11. AdamKane

AdamKane

Really looking forward to using Cloud Build with Unity 5. We're actively working with the beta on most of our current projects (because they don't need to be released until the end of the year.) It feels like we're flying blind a little bit after being spoiled by having Cloud Build for our Unity 4.X projects. Cloud Build is a super useful tool for large teams, even if you're not using the build output. Just knowing right away when a commit stops the build from compiling is sooooo useful!

hypeNate and schmosef like this.