Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 5 beta compatible assets

Discussion in 'Unity 5 Pre-order Beta' started by cubez, Nov 5, 2014.

1. cubez

cubez

I was thinking that maybe it would be convenient to have a topic about Unity 5 beta compatible assets.

People are experimenting with the U5 beta at the moment, but I would think that some people (me included) rely on asset X or asset Y in their projects and are waiting for those particular assets to be fully compatible. I imagine some assets work flawlessly, some assets work except for some features, some assets don't work at all and some assets only worked in a particular version of the beta.

I propose that I update this post with two lists. The first list will have assets, which are currently compatible with U5 beta. So if you rely on any of these, you can go ahead and convert to U5 beta. The second list will have assets where support for U5 beta is getting worked on for the next version. So these will be compatible with U5 soon™.

And maybe some asset developers or users of assets can even chime in with updates about compatibility? :)

Compatible Now
    Compatible Soon™

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
    bjornrun, jashan and Roni92 like this.
  2. MakeCodeNow

MakeCodeNow

The SECTR suite works with Unity 5. The only known issue is that Lightmap texture streaming may have issues as Unity hasn't updated the LightmapSettings API to support the new lightmap texture slots.

3. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

4. UnfinityGames

UnfinityGames

We're pretty pleased to say that U2DEX is also compatible with the Unity 5 beta.

5. cubez

cubez

Thank you! I've updated the list.

6. Dweep

Dweep

Got an email response from the guy(s) behind Particle Playground 2 yesterday confirming that it's working in U5 and have been adapted since early beta. Havn't tried it myself though

7. cubez

cubez

Thank you Dweep, I've added Particle Playground 2 to the list.

8. deram_scholzara

deram_scholzara

9. orb

orb

2D Toolkit's latest beta seems to be fine. I had some issues with 2.4.0, but it might have been the projects.

10. jashan

jashan

ScoreFlash also works with Unity 5 (tested on beta12).

It still does trigger the API updater which I'll fix rather shortly. But the API updater does it's work just fine and there's no errors or warnings during / after the conversion and ScoreFlash is fully functional.

There's one minor issue in one of the demo scenes (ScoreFlashAsContextUI in the Advanced section of the examples) but that's not really related to ScoreFlash: "NavMesh asset format has changed" (you get that error message immediately when opening the scene).

That can easily be fixed by rebaking the NavMesh data (which is something the error messages tells you to do, so this shouldn't be an issue and I won't be able to fix this without making Unity 5 the minimum version for ScoreFlash).

11. cubez

cubez

Thank you for your reply jashan! I've added Score Flash to the list.

jashan likes this.
  12. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

JSON .NET for Unity also is Unity 5 Compatible
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/11347

Currently not compatible with WebGL as I haven't added new directives for it yet. Couple other modifications to make but plan to be toying with WebGL support soon.

13. cubez

cubez

Thank you Dustin! JSON .NET is added to the list.

Dustin-Horne likes this.
  14. cubez

cubez

Updated first post. Removed incompatible list and changed it to a list with assets which will be compatible soon.

So, please reply if you have any information about compatible addons or updates, so this can become a comprehensive list. :)

Dweep likes this.
  15. davem250

davem250

Actually Scene Manager is also compatible with Unity 5 i am using it and i didn't even need to update any code, so that is nice :p

16. cubez

cubez

Thank you davem250! I've added Scene Manager.

17. TonyLi

TonyLi

The Dialogue System for Unity v1.3.8 (Unity 5 compatible) is available now on the Pixel Crushers customer download site and should be available on the Asset Store in a few days. If you need access to the customer download site, please PM me your Asset Store invoice number.

18. cubez

cubez

Thank you for the update TonyLi! I've changed the Dialogue System to compatible now.

19. Xaurrien

Xaurrien

Thanks for the list,
    It would be great to know if the assets are also compatible with WebGL

20. TheSniperFan

TheSniperFan

You can add the Unity Serializer to the "Compatible Soon" list. The author has disappeared years ago and the project stopped working with Unity 5. Luckily he put it under a "do whatever you like; I am not responsible" OSS license, so I can fork and adopt his project.
    I'll fix it and will keep maintaining it for use with Unity 5. This asset is far too useful, to let it end like this.

I'll probably break backwards compatibility, but that's okay. The original Unity Serializer is still available after all.

21. opsive

opsive

22. cubez

cubez

Thank you all for the information. I've updated the lists.

@Xaurrien That would be a good idea indeed. :)

23. davem250

davem250

Speaking of serialization... there is an awesome free asset called: PreviewLabs Playerprefs, it is simply awesome though i must mention i don't think it is available on Unity's Asset Store... but it is already 90% compatible if not 100% i say 90% because i don't use every aspect of the script but i do use the encryption part and it is simply invaluable! i did update it to the latest version when i got Unity 5 b9 but it still works like a charm ;) either way i think it deserves to be on the list! but that's my opinion :p

24. elbows

elbows

Both Sunshine! and Time Of Day have included preliminary support for Unity 5 tech for a while now. In the case of Time of Day this means support for the ambient light & reflection stuff, and for Sunshine! this means support for the new deferred renderer. Not sure if these updates are completely perfect, but I've used them with success and I havent noticed any complaints in relevant threads, although of course at this stage there are a somewhat limited number of beta 5 users who also own these assets.

25. cubez

cubez

Thank you for the updates. They have been added.

26. orb

orb

Oh yeah, 2D Toolkit 2.5 is out and working well :)

27. davem250

davem250

I can also confirm that as of now you can use Scene Manager with WebGL builds! but you cannot do it with PreviewLabs' PlayerPrefs (get it to work with WebGL builds yet!)