Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 5 Beta 11

Discussion in 'Unity 5 Pre-order Beta' started by Jaimi, Nov 1, 2014.

1. Jaimi

Jaimi

Several people on here (on the closed beta) are posting about Beta 11. Will this be made available to the pre-order beta users at some point?

2. Archania

Archania

think we will get 10 first.. i believe i read from a unity person that the public will be a release behind the closed beta.

3. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I believe the logic behind it is similar to 4.6 stable and stable betas. They will probably release to preorderers only the betas they deem to be stable enough.

4. Zomby138

Zomby138

While I kinda understand that reasoning, the other edge of the sword is that we'll be reporting a load of bugs that have already been fixed.

o_o

5. Archania

Archania

may be may not be. We might have found stuff that might have been over looked, passed by or doing things others aren't.
    Report and report and report some more is the only way. If they fixed it fantastic! if not then it is just more data for them to use to fix said bug. Doesn't hurt.
    But I do see your point though... would be nice but it just isn't the way it is atm.

6. Fuzzy

Fuzzy

Reading this tickles my "angry-nerve".
    I'm not sure if this is what i was promised when i paid for U5 back like in march this year.
    It was like: hurry up, early pre-orderers will receive access to the U5 beta!
    And now all there is is: Hey, there's an outdated beta for you and, well, we may already be behind the first expected release date of the final 5.0 version, but hey if people pay now you'll still be one of the "early"-pre-order people and still get access to something a few people we personally like a tad more already had a few months ago. Oh, and those people we like more are now already 2 versions ahead so hey! you don't need to get angry over bugs or anything you may be experiencing that would be to expect in a beta. Because hey! we probably already fixed them and you have to deal with them for no apparent reason! Isn't that great?

Is this some joke or something? While April 1st was after the pre-order phase started it's over long ago.

Or are the newer versions of U5 so unstable, and thus the reason U5.0 final has alerady been delayed, and they don't want to scare the public with this?
    (this board needs a *sigh*-emote)

Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
    Metron, DaDonik and tnaseem like this.
  7. giyomu

giyomu

Then they make a mistake on where to post for reporting bug, closed beta issue should not get reported on pre order beta forum..

shkar-noori, Metron and tnaseem like this.
  8. terravires

terravires

One would guess that their logic is something like: We will give the pre-order people a more stable build and give the closed beta people the latest copy to work out the kinks. While that make some sense for a full release, in the case of a beta where the bugs are everywhere and even expected, I don't agree with this policy.

I've reported several bugs already, even major crashes and project corruption. I would be very surprised if these issues were not already reported and fixed in 10 or 11. At this point I'm not sure it is more stable then b11 anyway. And as you pointed out, there is a very high chance that we've been wasting our and Unity's time by reporting bugs that have already been fixed.

I know I wouldn't want to be their bug person trying to sort out all these duplicate issues from real new ones.

Metron likes this.
  9. DaDonik

DaDonik

I have to agree with Fuzzy. This makes me feel like a 3rd class customer.
    It also doesn't encourage me in trying to find bugs, because i know my time will probably be wasted on an already fixed bug. If i download a beta version, i don't expect to make a game with it, i don't expect it to run stable, but i expect to be on the same page as all other beta testers. Once thats the case, i'll happily use the beta and report bugs.

10. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

Maybe it's beacue the people who got access to the closed beta are selected studios that are proven to be professional users to Unity. The bugy they file may be more focused than the bugs from the majority of preorderers. Unity do know the way bugs usually get reportet by now and what to expect from the majority of users.
    If that is the case I could imagine that the bugs are ironed out faster more focused and lead to a faster release from which the preorder Beta participants profit as well. I don't know it of course I'm just guessing.

All I'm saying is: Why always asum the worst and why communitcate it with phrases like "is this a joke or something"?
    You don't know the real reasoning behind the decission yet you asume the worst already despite that you are holding a working Beta you can use in your hands right now, apparently.

I would like to have access to the latest Beta as well and I agree that I would like to know the reasoning behind it being a few versions behind. But there never was a fixed promised date. You do have access to the beta now - featurewise the one available and the latest one should not be too far apart but more in "details" compared to the whole picture. Also the preorder price was lower than the full update price.

sluice and inafield like this.
  11. KellyThomas

KellyThomas

This is only true for people upgrading from 4.x.

12. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

The other people actually bought 4 and got 5 for free.

the_motionblur likes this.
  13. Roni92

Roni92

omg, and crying started, just like kids with S***Phone4 that NEEDS S***Phone5 or they will die ... >.>
    A little of humility and patience people...

Whippets and inafield like this.
  14. Fuzzy

Fuzzy

There's a tiny difference here, we want to be the people who like produce the shiny iphone 5 that people so desperately want. For this we need to be up to date or others will just go ahead of us instead and take the lot while we just get whats left.
    It's important to stay up to date in the digital industy imo, or you will just fall behind.

MrEsquire likes this.
  15. Jonny-Roy

Jonny-Roy

These sort of speculation threads get really out of hand and are based on nothing but people making guesses and then other people get angry because they think the guesses are true.

Firstly, the Betas have to be tested before release, the speed they are released mean that internally they can only do a partial test and ensure the repro works, they generally wouldn't have more than this to fully test, which is why it's then released to the closed Beta to ensure the bug is properly fixed before its announced as fixed to the open beta. Due to this the public beta has to be a step behind the closed and the closed a step behind the dev team, it's the way all beta systems work until they are nearing release.

It's also how 4.6 worked, the closed teams were 1 step ahead for the early part of the beta and once it becomes much more stable the closed beta is closed off.

Take into account, people speculating they are months behind in the release of beta 9 could not be more wrong, it's more like days, but take not of the known issues in the release notes, those are normally the things you should not report on as they are known anything else should be reported.

This is all standard stuff with any beta process not just Unity, and it's the best way to get a product from release to beta fastest.

16. Silly_Rollo

Silly_Rollo

I think its dumb that we don't get to pick which beta we want to install. Why on earth would you prevent developers from just picking whether to install the latest unstable or stable build? We're not talking about a consumer product where people will flip out if their game starts crashing but bloody developer tools.

I have reported 3 bugs that have come back to me "already fixed in b10" and I'd love to check if the fix actually solves my issues but I don't have the option to. Hell one of my bugs they responded with "This bug should not be reproducible in 5.0.0b10, thus please update the editor!" which was an odd response anyway but to which I could only reply I wish I could!

MrEsquire likes this.
  17. PeterB

PeterB

Just wish the two betas (4.6 and 5.0) were compatible in terms of the uGUI versions. Right now, 4.6 is more recent than 5.0.

MrEsquire and shkar-noori like this.
  18. Vilmantas

Vilmantas

Unity Technologies

Unity 5 beta 11 will be made available for download really soon, stay tuned.

PeterB, Jonny-Roy, sluice and 5 others like this.
  19. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

It's been only one week since the b9 release. To avoid the last minute rush and have time to address problems, we prepared and published b9 while b10 was reaching completion. Then this week we wrapped up b11 on Thursday.

Give us a chance to actually get things out there.

Whippets, Jonny-Roy, sluice and 3 others like this.
  20. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

Just to add some detail to this, I hope you guys can appreciate why we're doing things in this manner. We've taken a similar approach with our 4.6 beta program - we are trying to ensure that pre-order beta customers get the best experience because they've paid for it, where standard beta users (who are also largely paying customers too, but are longer term experienced bug finders and reporters) are the people we see as the first line of defense, catching stuff so that when we consider we've reached a standard, we ship to the pre-order beta users.

Plus, we're not talking about giving out an alpha when the tech is in beta here, we're talking about a matter of days between 9/10/11, and we hope to get some great advancements in your hands asap - thanks for your patience everyone.

21. Silly_Rollo

Silly_Rollo

That's still not making much sense to me because its beta either way. It just exacerbates the lack of a public issue tracker for U5 as the two step beta process ensures more bugs being reported that are already fixed which is a waste of time for both devs and Unity QA.

22. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

23. QA-for-life

QA-for-life

Unity Technologies

It is, but flipping the bit on 5.0 on the issuetracker this early might not be the best decision for users either. We already have <=4.5 (live, released products, 4.6 (late beta) and then adding bugs from an early 5.0 beta is not going to help much for our users that work on the released products.

It is a trade-off and there is no right or wrong answer to when it should be done. As of right now I don't believe it is a good idea to make 5.0 bugs visible on the issuetracker.

Jonny-Roy likes this.
  24. BuildABurgerBurg

BuildABurgerBurg

I'm glad you've given the option to download beta11. :)

25. Jaimi

Jaimi

Excellent news!

26. Roni92

Roni92

It was obvious, I told ya to not cry :D

Jonny-Roy likes this.
  27. Jaimi

Jaimi

Wasn't crying. Simply asked if would be made available.

28. Jonny-Roy

Jonny-Roy

I think he might have been referring to some of the other posts, your posts were constructive.

29. Waz

Waz

Plenty of other vendors' Betas and even Alphas have nightly builds available to participants, because this minimizes the number of reports for already-fixed bugs.

Currently my Unity 5 experimental port is stalled waiting for Cloth to be fixed (apparently it already has been, just not released). I'm perfectly capable of branching, testing, and reverting if a nightly build blows up in my face - I don't need to be protected from myself by an "it's for your own good" argument.

DaDonik likes this.