Search Unity

Unity 5 bad performance with OR! improvement hints??

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by MS80, Mar 18, 2015.

1. MS80

MS80

Hi!
    I noticed that Unity5 is much slower on the Rift compared to Unity4! Did anyone else make this experience?

F.e. the tuscany demo, running absolutely smooth and fast builded with Unity4. But a Unity5 build has judder and a low framerate (tested on same workstation). Especially inside the house framerate drops down, looking into the sky is ok with 75fps. I recognized that even using "direct to rift mode" will reduce the framerate more than using "extended desktop mode".

Do you have any hints to get constant 75fps with Unity5?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  2. Arowx

Arowx

Turn on the profiler to see where the ms are being used!

3. MS80

MS80

Good point! Somehow I forgot using the profiler while being in the oculus :)
    And it seems that Gfx.WaitForPresent takes 84% and more... vsynch is disabled, also if I look into the sky I get 75fps?!

How to get rid of Gfx.WaitForPresent??

Attached Files:

4. Arowx

Arowx

5. Arowx

Arowx

6. MS80

MS80

Thanks @Arowx, vsynch & Gfx.WaitForPresent is a weird topic!

What I did inbetween is updating graphic card drivers, now it runs way better...strange thing, Gfx.WaitForPresent is now listed under Terrain.Trees.Render (scene with huge terrain and a few unity standard trees). It still takes about 47%?!
    I made tests on ATI R9 200 and Nvidia GTX 670 and on both systems (with newest drivers) performance is more or less the same...Is it a problem to use those old unity trees (with old hidden shaders)?

7. Arowx

Arowx

I think there was a performance problem with Unity Trees. But they might have new ones now, they have mentioned Speedtree and Unity 5. Check the blogs or try a search.

8. MS80

MS80

Yes, speedtree and Unity5 earn money togehter ;) but speedtree is not really an option for me: 1.expensive single trees 2.want to use trees from assetstore like "NaturePack" 3.speedtree is looking great but not fast as its name promises

It seems that rendering trees in Unity5 with OR is a problem...

9. Arowx

Arowx

You could try static meshes with LOD and using imposters (sprite selfies of the trees from a range of angles) you should be able to get around the problem. There are probably already assets on the store that will help you get around this issue.

10. davem250

davem250

Am i the only one experiencing bad performance with or without the Rift in Unity5 when having occlusion culling turned on??? i had to remove my entire culling bakes in order to play "normally" again (meaning without the huge amount of lag!) The profiler showed me that it used 97.1% of workload only on Culling(s), that is really dissappointing especially since i am testing OR out in small levels!

11. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

It's a bug AFAIK please report it.

12. davem250

davem250

Just reported it :) with case# 683292, Thanks for the tip ;)