Search Unity

Unity 5+ apk size too big for small 2d games

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MapuHoB, Jun 19, 2015.

1. MapuHoB

MapuHoB

Our team has focused on creating, tiny, cool 2d games and we're using unity. The thing is the games we like creating, other people are creating them with Android Studio or other programs which leads to having no more than 5mb apk size while, us with Unity for the same size game the apk size is 26mb+(if we suppose we have a few plugins e.g. g play services, soomla & some ad network).

We want to continue with the creation of tiny 2d games with Unity, just the apk size is too big, really big and many users ask us why and say that they uninstall the game because of lack of disk space. Also downloading the game is kind of hard through mobile connection so.. most of them are wifi limited.

I think there should be a way to create small 2d games with unity with apk size less than 8mb or at least 8. The apk size kills the rivalry for us.

What can we do about that problem?
    For example checkout our last game it's called 99 Slides for android on google play and... it's the simplest & smallest game ever, yet 30mb.. similar games with size no more than 5mb.
    Many developers suggest to learn to develop with smth else not Unity if we're going to develop only such small 2d games but I like Unity too much and its features and can't imagine working without them..

Any suggestions?

P.S. I read most of the related topics and found little suggestions that work but the ARM7 exluding one and I have a question for it http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/971648/device-filter-to-arm-7-only.html

2. Ostwind

Ostwind

Wrong forum section for the post and the Android section has several threads about the subject and ways to decrease the size. I think the fact is that you will never will ever will be able to get below 20mb with a "real" game as long as mono backend is used. Maybe IL2CPP strips more stuff away or maybe not and anyways it's probably not coming for Android for a while.