Search Unity

Unity 5 Announced

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bael, Mar 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

For me, hell yes... I've been working on pushing Unity visually, and I am halfway there... this gives me a bit more legroom

2. BTStone

BTStone

Sooner than I thought!
    Though I'm always looking forward to updates this whole new feature-set doesn't thrill me personally that much, besides the 64Bit-Support and the usage of the latest PhysX-Version.
    Maybe it's my personal lack of knowledge but I'm developing right now a 2D game and as for the future I don't see us making 3D games anytime soon.
    I for myself don't see the need for things like "Enlighten", which I'm amazed by, in the project. Of course I'm superhappy for the guys who KNOW how to handle these new features and make great games :D

I rather hoped instead of adding cool stuff, UT would literally UPDATE Unity. As said above the 64Bit Support and PhysX is the way to go and I could kiss David Helgason for that, but I would do more nasty stuff with him if he'd also got Unity the latest Mono Version (not only the new Version of the Editor itself).

3. Briksins

Briksins

Yeah, what about native support .NET 4.5? Currently all Unity projects are 3.5 by default, but in 4.5 apreas new tasty async things like Task, Async and much more...

4. Deleted User

Deleted User

@ Neptune, were doing a Witcher / Dragon age style RPG, So I'll take whatever I'll get. Funnily enough I was just about to dump Unity in favour of UE4 and start the project again. The only thing visually I wanted to do with Unity before was push it off a cliff.

@ BTstone

You'd kiss David? I'd sit him down at a candlelit dinner with the finest wine, clap on some barry white. Wear whatever he wanted, and jump on the spinning bed and scream enlighten me :D..

Too far?

LOL

5. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

If it happens, do take pictures! Otherwise you're just the overly obsessed stalker fanboy.

6. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

That's it? I have a more practical approach. Not going to say what it is. I don't want anyone to steal my mojo! And yes I WILL hide cameras with a live video feed! :p

7. Deleted User

Deleted User

Well that caused a belly laugh :D, nice to see some humour around here.

Has anyone seen the UE4 mobile demo? If you can do that with Unity it'll be amazing! So I'd be inclined not to worry too much.

8. Archania

Archania

Hmm not sure if David should be filing restraining orders or open his schedule for dating.

9. Nasarius

Nasarius

And the "dynamic" type and named arguments, which let me write C# code a little more like Python. With (pseudo-)dynamic typing, I can do much more clever things with data-oriented game design.

10. kryptopath2

kryptopath2

11. jcarpay

jcarpay

12. VIC20

VIC20

13. Nanity

Nanity

14. StarManta

StarManta

The Mozilla video also gives us the Unity 5 logo, as well as a link to this page, which currently says "forbidden!"

15. VIC20

VIC20

16. Deleted User

Deleted User

Damn it stop that, it get's me every time ahahah!..

17. cynic

cynic

Déjà vu. I think I fell for this yesterday already. :p

18. eskovas

eskovas

dat Unity 5 logo :p

$unity5.jpg

Hype is building up !!!

19. VIC20

VIC20

20. eskovas

eskovas

21. Zeblote

Zeblote

too late!

22. VIC20

VIC20

There was a great chance to post another link, so I could not resist. :D Oh, BTW: here is a website that will automatically refresh and even send you an email instantly as soon as more things about Unity 5 are revealed: http://goo.gl/ZiCIS3

23. cynic

cynic

Hahaha, not falling for that this time around! >)

24. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Lots of random thoughts here, I like this thread :D
    Anyways, Unity 4.x have some GREAT updates to come before we see 5. I know nothing about a Unity 5 release or pre-order, if that is leaked news we should know on Unite...

25. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

WELL PLAYED UNITY, WELL PLAYED.

ENLIGHTEN? YES!
    NEW PHYSX? YES!
    64 BIT? YES!
    +OTHER STUFF!

I confess I am in Unreal 4's evaluation program and as our budget rises we indeed were going to switch for the next title. Now it's a complicated issue, and we have reasons not to.

What we are looking for now is a dramatically improved Garbage Collector. That for me, seals the deal. And if streaming textures/media can come further down the line, then we're talking about overtaking the competition, which Unity 5 does not quite do yet :)

Always strive for greater.

26. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

When is Unite?

27. LaneFox

LaneFox

28. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.